Type keyword(s) to search

Do You Consider Yourself A Feminist?: Why Or Why Not?

• Start Topic

Since I'm a middle-aged woman, not a girl, it's not a term I'd ever use.  I hadn't heard it, so I read that article from Bon Apetit.  I still don't understand the logic or point of calling a snack plate a girl dinner.

• Like 6
14 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Since I'm a middle-aged woman, not a girl, it's not a term I'd ever use.  I hadn't heard it, so I read that article from Bon Apetit.  I still don't understand the logic or point of calling a snack plate a girl dinner.

So am I.  But I’d happily join my GIRLfriends for a GIRLS’ night.  And I am an Old GIRL of the Bishop Strachan School, not an alumna (which is what they’re using these days.  A lot of us aren’t happy about it). 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I still don't understand the logic or point of calling a snack plate a girl dinner.

Seems like it should just be called an I'm too tired to cook dinner dinner.  I mean, I generally actually do make a real dinner for myself unless I'm just tired or maybe if I need food quickly.  I don't get why it's called a girl dinner, either.

And now the word "dinner" just looks weird.  

• Like 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

My husband is going to visit his sister this weekend so he bought me a Marie Callender's key lime pie for company while I watch "my" movies.

Try Edward’s brand if they are available in your stores.  Soooo much better. They have been around since the 50’s and sometime later were distributed by Schwan’s, if you have access to their truck deliveries. Callender’s crusts are not good to me. Edward’s crusts, on all their flavors, and their fillings have a great texture and taste. Callender’s has a waxy feel to me.

https://www.edwardsdesserts.com/pages/about-us

I am not paid by Edward’s lol.

I would buy the rebranded renamed veggie plate from Popeye’s. Maybe. I still haven’t stopped being bummed that they dropped their green beans. I would get a chicken sandwich also and and half all of options into two meals. 

eta this site is so wonky since the ad change. 
I eat what I want whether anyone else does or not.

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

It's like the "hot girl summer" meme.

I'm a member of an executive dysfunction food group on facebook, and they just call it "fed it best". Eat whatever you like, because eating something is better than not eating at all.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Anela said:

It's like the "hot girl summer" meme.

I'm a member of an executive dysfunction food group on facebook, and they just call it "fed it best". Eat whatever you like, because eating something is better than not eating at all.

That works for some.  For others, it’s an excuse to do empty calories/calories without much nutritional value.   Or overeat, which is also an ED.  And if you’re like me who lost the ability to feel full after a bout of Covid, you need to find a way to relearn.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

There is a high profile separation here in Canada making the news right now and what is getting my feminist dander up is the way certain people in in my 'real' life and in the media keep referring to the lady in question as Mrs. HisLastName.  She has never used his last name but here it is 2023 and this is still considered so out there that people can't just use the name she goes by?  This is too much to ask?

Edited by Laura Holt
  • Like 8
1 hour ago, Laura Holt said:

There is a high profile separation here in Canada making the news right now and what is getting my feminist dander up is the way certain people in in my 'real' life and in the media keep referring to the lady in question as Mrs. HisLastName.  She has never used his last name but here it is 2023 and this is still considered so out there that people can't just use the name she goes by?  This is too much to ask?

She uses both names.  This is what I've been reading in news media.  And honestly, I have zero issues with doing both.  I'm referred to as Ms. Maiden Name Married Name, Mrs. Married Name or Ms. Maiden Name interchangeably.  Officially, on my IDs it's both.  All my alma maters list both names, as they do with all grads who've changed their names upon marriage anyway.  

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, PRgal said:

She uses both names. 

Yes, she uses both names because it became a stupid hot button issue that she wasn't using his.  She married in Quebec, as did I, and women do not take their husband's names.  Socially, sure, you can do whatever you want, but if you want to take your husband's name you have to go through a legal name change.  But at any rate as you say she uses both names, so dropping one when she is being referenced is incorrect, and to me rage inducing.  

Edited by Laura Holt
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Exactly -- she goes by her last name, which is her legal name, or her last name and his last name together.  But she does not go by his last name only, so no one should be calling her Mrs. His Last Name. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

It’s probably different since you’re Canadian but I have no idea what her name is, so if I was discussing their separation I would have to refer to her as his wife or his ex.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, partofme said:

It’s probably different since you’re Canadian but I have no idea what her name is, so if I was discussing their separation I would have to refer to her as his wife or his ex.  

Sophie Gregoire.

• Like 2

The posts about a woman's last name (using it), reminded me of when my sister had been married for a couple of years. She sent my mum a card from Canada, and addressed it to, "Mrs. (Dad's Name.)" I was so annoyed. Her name was Rita, she had her own name. She was her own person. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I have recently come across this and at first, I thought it is all parody (both the question and the advice). But seeing what some people are able to write, I now wonder if the question might have been a genuine question someone asked?

Help! My Ignorant, Naive Girlfriend Who Can Be Convinced to Have Sex With Literally Anyone in Exchange For a Sushi Roll Is Conspiring with Her Nefariously Evil Ex-Boss Who Didn’t Put Any Moves On Her to Not Cheat On Me With Him!

Dear Carolyn: Recently, my girlfriend changed to a better position at work, thanks to the recommendation from an ex-boss. Here’s what transpired next:
· Ex-boss asked her to leave work early and meet him for dinner, as it was his last night in town.
· He asked her to drive and meet at his condo (his family lives in another city).
· They went to a restaurant with her favorite cuisine (my guess, he knew this from working together 10 years) that was walking distance from his condo.
In my mind, this was a textbook affair setup and/or an upper-manager power play, testing his power over her.
She did not share this setup with me until after the fact. She was oblivious to my concerns regarding the potential professional ramifications of going to an upper manager’s condo, then dinner, right after receiving a new job he was pivotal in her receiving.
Did I have the right to be (very) upset about this scenario? She swears it was all business talk and texted me on her drive home.
— J.

Dear J.,

You have a totally normal and reasonable view of human behavior and professional norms and a very healthy relationship with the concept of women’s bodily autonomy, agency, and sexuality.

Ex-bosses want one thing and one thing only from their women employees, and that’s to buy them dinner and fuck them. Your ignorant, naive skank of a girlfriend is lucky she had you looking out for her, or else she might have gone to dinner with a former colleague and not fucked them, instead of what actually happened, which is that she went to dinner with a former colleague and didn’t fuck them and you were upset about it. You went to all the trouble of getting worked up over your girlfriend going to poundtown with this guy and she didn’t even have the nerve to do it?? He didn’t even try to fuck her? She just came home and was like “that was a totally normal and platonic dinner between friends”??? The nerve.

Especially when it’s the you-being-upset part that really saved this whole mess of a situation. Imagine: if you hadn’t lost your fucking shit about someone doing a perfectly normal thing, life might have proceeded apace! Your girlfriend could have just done whatever normal shit she always does, like a grown-ass woman! And she would never have had to manage your little shitstorm and discovered only after the fact that she was on the verge of banging this other fucking guy and she had no idea!

Where would your girlfriend’s sexual purity and obligatory fidelity be without you, its devoted keeper? Probably giving out handies in exchange for rainbow rolls in her boss’s condo parking lot! You should tell many of your colleagues about how you handled this whole ordeal so that they know just what level you’re on when it comes to your professional expertise.

Any thoughts? It links to Washington Post which I'm not able to read, but that suggests it is probably real. Google tells me that the woman is an advice columnist, so.... Should I even be surprised that people write questions like that? There are even more crazy ones on that page. At least the answers are good.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

It links to Washington Post which I'm not able to read, but that suggests it is probably real. Google tells me that the woman is an advice columnist, so.

The original question might have been in the Washington Post but that answer very much would not have been, at least not as written. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

It's still funny as hell.

Seriously.  This is art:

Where would your girlfriend’s sexual purity and obligatory fidelity be without you, its devoted keeper? Probably giving out handies in exchange for rainbow rolls in her boss’s condo parking lot! You should tell many of your colleagues about how you handled this whole ordeal so that they know just what level you’re on when it comes to your professional expertise.

• LOL 4
On 10/22/2023 at 3:18 PM, Anela said:

The posts about a woman's last name (using it), reminded me of when my sister had been married for a couple of years. She sent my mum a card from Canada, and addressed it to, "Mrs. (Dad's Name.)" I was so annoyed. Her name was Rita, she had her own name. She was her own person. 

What does your mom prefer?  Was she annoyed?

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I have recently come across this and at first, I thought it is all parody (both the question and the advice). But seeing what some people are able to write, I now wonder if the question might have been a genuine question someone asked?

Help! My Ignorant, Naive Girlfriend Who Can Be Convinced to Have Sex With Literally Anyone in Exchange For a Sushi Roll Is Conspiring with Her Nefariously Evil Ex-Boss Who Didn’t Put Any Moves On Her to Not Cheat On Me With Him!

Any thoughts? It links to Washington Post which I'm not able to read, but that suggests it is probably real. Google tells me that the woman is an advice columnist, so.... Should I even be surprised that people write questions like that? There are even more crazy ones on that page. At least the answers are good.

That looks like a parody account where the account holder uses real advice column questions and gives a made up answer.  I'm sure that many advice columnists would love to be able to answer some letter writers in this manner over the years, but standards would never allow.  Though Nicole Cliffe got close a few times over on Slate.  

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I'm sure that many advice columnists would love to be able to answer some letter writers in this manner over the years, but standards would never allow. 

Actually the response sounds to me pretty much like something Dan Savage would write.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1

Do men get called "sprightly"?  A close friend of mine is about my age and very athletic (I'd love to say we're similar in this respect.  We are not) she ran the Boston marathon a few years ago as one example of what I mean by her being athletic. 

Anyway she was telling me that while she was playing tennis today with a friend a couple of younger guys came up to them and were full of praise for them being so "sprightly" at their age.  She was laughing when she told me about it but it really bothered me that she was being condescended to partly for her age but mainly I think for her age combined with being a woman.  Sprightly middle age.  Ugh.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

Do men get called "sprightly"?

Yes. I haven’t heard anyone say it in real life (for men or women) but mainly in celeb gossip stories or entertainment reviews. Particularly with broadway actors, regardless of age. Hugh Jackman and Tom Holland are the first ones that came to my mind. 

My cousin is driving me crazy.  Every single time she gets a new man in her life she completely makes herself over into this person she thinks he wants her to be.  This time around the new guy is a hunter and suddenly she's taking lessons in gun safety so she can buy guns.  This is a woman who, a few guys back was a born again vegan.  It's infuriating to watch because I know,  based in every relationship she's ever had, that when this one runs its course she will change herself around to be the "soul mate" for the next guy.  

• Sad 4
  • Fire 1
41 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

My cousin is driving me crazy.  Every single time she gets a new man in her life she completely makes herself over into this person she thinks he wants her to be.  This time around the new guy is a hunter and suddenly she's taking lessons in gun safety so she can buy guns.  This is a woman who, a few guys back was a born again vegan.  It's infuriating to watch because I know,  based in every relationship she's ever had, that when this one runs its course she will change herself around to be the "soul mate" for the next guy.  

Just curious...why does this drive *you* crazy? I would let her do her...maybe there is a chameleon somewhere back in your family tree that you have not yet learned about? 😸

• Like 1

My favourite thing in the world, is when a man who seems to despise most women, wonders aloud, where the feminists are, when something horrific happens to women he's decided to care about, in another country. He has alternative reasons to "care" and so I get called out as one of the few people who totally disagree with him in most respects, because I wasn't smart enough to leave years ago, and I sometimes talk politics there. Because I don't care what they think of me. It's one thing that's been murder for my mental health, when I hardly have anyone as backup, and I get piled on, if I speak up at all, or see posts with "crickets" when I've been away, for my fucking mental health, and because I have a life I'm trying to live. Somehow. 

So, I'm setting myself a goal to avoid the place for two months. Not caring about any call-outs, because anyone who knows me, knows what I stand for. What would leave me upset, outraged, etc. I don't need to be on-call for dipshits who just want to bother me.

• Hugs 3
  • Love 1