Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Lamentis

Message added by formerlyfreedom,

Posts in this topic should be about the episode. If your post is not primarily about the episode, please rethink where to post it. Posts that are primarily or only about the Marvel movies (or that quote such posts) will be removed without notice, and warnings may be issued. Thank you.

• Start Topic

Certainly the very definition of a placeholder episode, but interesting nonetheless.  They were a lot more straightforward with Sylvie than I'd assumed they'd be, other than there still being some weirdness because she's got the same name and general appearance as one of the Enchantresses.  

I don't know whether to be annoyed or intrigued that Loki got literally nothing from her about what her real goal is. 

On 6/23/2021 at 7:23 AM, VCRTracking said:

I liked the Snowpiercer vibes from this episode. 

Same here! Also Dr. Who, the film Brazil, and the episode Workforce (ST: Voyager) thrown in for good measure. Loved the color scheme for Lamentis - neon nighttime, purples, large dark planet looming overhead… Blade Runner meets Night Vale.

I don’t think Loki lied about the device being destroyed, he took it out and it was smoking. It looked like it fell apart as it dropped to the ground, I don’t think he repocketed it. It would be frustrating if it turned out it was an illusion, it would be a too-easy plot device and lazy writing rather than a skilled demonstration of Loki being a trickster. 

More singing from Tom.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GreyBunny said:

Same here! Also Dr. Who, the film Brazil, and the episode Workforce (ST: Voyager) thrown in for good measure. Loved the color scheme for Lamentis - neon nighttime, purples, large dark planet looming overhead… Blade Runner meets Night Vale.

I don’t think Loki lied about the device being destroyed, he took it out and it was smoking. It looked like it fell apart as it dropped to the ground, I don’t think he repocketed it. It would be frustrating if it turned out it was an illusion, it would be a too-easy plot device and lazy writing rather than a skilled demonstration of Loki being a trickster. 

That's why perhaps most of the episode may have been the illusion instead of just the bit with the broken pad. Sophie tries to enchant Loki and fails.  Perhaps he enchants her instead and everything after that was illusion.  

We even see apparent continuity "errors" to back that up, I think.  I have to go back and watch, but doesn't Sophie magically switch seats while she's napping?  

• Love 1
On 6/23/2021 at 4:07 PM, Wynterwolf said:

And likely Sylvie as well, given the dialog. But I agree, I liked how it was handled. And maybe the fact that the director is bisexual had something to do with that. For once, Disney/Marvel didn't embarrass themselves. 

Just for reference, Netflix's Ragnorok was just a bit ahead of Disney on this, portraying Loki as gender fluid/pan or bisexual.

(edited)

Yawn. This show needs to get back to the point.

And no, I don’t mean action chases and fights. I mean some semblance of direction and plot behind cutesy dialogue and running in circles. Having a sit down discussion to decide to walk in the same direction that the train was already taking them? Please. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 1
On 6/23/2021 at 4:01 PM, Featherhat said:

Coming out is not completely uncommon on TV/movies these days and you sometimes get a "Bi The Way" casual come out but that can still be very awkward or feel tacked on and unearned. (Teddy on Grey's I'm looking at you). 

I think they did this just right. 

I think they did it well too. I always perceived Loki to be bi or pansexual, so it makes sense. 

• Love 1
On 6/27/2021 at 1:49 PM, moonshine71 said:

Just for reference, Netflix's Ragnorok was just a bit ahead of Disney on this, portraying Loki as gender fluid/pan or bisexual.

The actual Norse legends are ahead of all of them.  One story about Loki has him shape-changing into a female horse, having sex with a male horse, getting pregnant and then giving birth to an 8-legged horse.

• Love 6

What a great episode. I didn't even miss the TVA characters, the interactions between Loki and Sylvie were great. Loved their conversation on the train and the show finally acknowledging Loki's sexuality. I know I talk big about how we shouldn't accept just scraps of representation from Marvel at this point, but I admit I almost teared up at that scene. And they did bisexual lighting as well. I loved it.

The scene of Loki singing that Asgardian song reminded me of WandaVision and Wanda singing a Sokovian lullaby. And I loved the callback to Thor smashing the glass after drinking. It shows that their brotherly connection is strong even without shared blood.

• Love 1
On 6/23/2021 at 12:40 PM, calliope1975 said:

I knew something was shady with the Timekeepers and the workers. I wonder if the taser thing doesn't kill people but resets them as workers. I wouldn't be surprised to see that first guy from the ticket line show up later as a worker bee. 

The whole premise of the Sacred Timeline bothered me from the first episode (like ... so much for free will!) But I hadn't thought of the torch/taser things as possible reset button technology; nice catch.

(edited)

The song that Loki sang in this episode is named "Very Full" on the Loki: Season 1 soundtrack...

Tom Hiddleston Hits Billboard Chart for First Time, Thanks to 'Loki' Song 'Very Full'
By Xander Zellner  7/13/2021
https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/chart-beat/9600134/tom-hiddleston-debuts-billboard-chart-with-loki-very-full/ 

British actor Tom Hiddleston is now a Billboard-charting artist, as his track "Very Full" debuts at No. 10 on the World Digital Song Sales tally dated July 17.

The song, which Hiddleston sings almost entirely in Norwegian, debuts after selling nearly 500 downloads in the week ending July 8, according to MRC Data.

"Very Full" plays in the third episode of Marvel and Disney+'s Loki, in which Hiddleston portrays the title character. In the context of the series, Loki sings "Very Full" in Asgardian (the native language of the fictional planet Asgard that he originates); however, the language used for Asgardian in the show is Norwegian.

The track is titled "Jeg Saler Min Ganger" in the episode's end credits (translating to "I Seal My Times"), but named "Very Full" on the Loki: Volume 1 soundtrack.

(HOMECOMING)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2