Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E14: Trips

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Walker takes Stella and August on a road trip to discuss some devastating news. Captain James enlists the help of Micki and Trey to find a missing military veteran.

Airdate: 06/17/2021

Good thing it was an alpaca and not a llama. Alpacas ARE the greenest animal.

I actually didn't watch last week's episode because it looked too intense and annoying.  Glad to see Liam's OK.  Heartless me didn't really care about Hoyt. The kids were annoying me about the "llama."  And if the seller of the house threw the animals in, wouldn't they go to the new buyer?  Did I misunderstand what happened there?  And if the sale wasn't final, why would Hoyt have possessions there?  Glad Stella came to her senses about what's his name.  Not into the whole Romeo and Juliet thing.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Yeah, I was also confused by the whole "Hoyt may or may not have bought property" thing, because even if he did die, wouldn't it still be in his name and gone to either whoever was in will or his next of kin?  How were other buyers able to acquire?  Was it simply just a case of him making a verbal/non-binding deal and once he passed, the sellers just looked elsewhere?  All of it kind of felt sloppy, but whatever.

Anyway, it all leads to Walker and Geri taking the kids on a trip that ends with them acquiring three new horses and a pregnant alpaca that everyone thought was a llama, because apparently only Bonham and Micki know the differences.  That leaves time for a little bit of drama and a nice "who feels the guiltiest?" competition, with Walker still blaming himself for inadvertently bringing Clint into their lives in the first place, Geri feeling like crap since her last works with Hoyt was refusing his proposal, and Stella upset with herself for allowing her poor choice in boys to put them in danger (meanwhile August is the only who is like "Can't fault me for anything that went down!  Yay, me!")

Totally knew that Liam taking out Clint would actually boost his campaign and make voters love him.  He even is getting respect from Stan/Jeffrey Nordling, although I'm with Bonham that I think Stan is probably trying to work some kind of angle where he hopes Liam will split the progressive votes, while Stan goes after the more traditional voters.

At least Bonham is getting treatment now, which means I hope Mitch Pileggi starts prepping his "pretending to vomit and looking tired all the time" acting, since that will likely be a thing.

Hey, poor Captain James so thought he was going to have it easy with Walker on leave, so naturally the case of the week not only has a citizen/Trey tagging along, but ends with Micki participating in an underground fighting match.  No rest for bosses in television: especially when it comes to law enforcement!

While I still think the Walkers and crew propped Hoyt up on a pedestal he didn't really earn, I do think it is somewhat realistic that they would look past his shortcomings and remember the good times, so I was fine with them singing his praises for the most part here.  If nothing else, I'm sure Hoyt would be happy to have a barn named after him (not sure about being named after an alpaca though...)

• Love 3

Did anyone else wonder why Walker didn't call home and ask for a trailer or two to handle the horses and "llama" since they were having so much difficulty and the kids obviously were going to kick up a fuss about it?

• Love 7

I can get why they wanted a more chill episode after so much action and drama with the last one, where the characters have to react to everything that happened, letting it sink in, but that was a pretty dull episode. Some of that might be because we don't really know Hoyt all that well so, and we have never seen him interact with the kids so we don't know a lot about their relationships with them, so while we hear about these good times they all had we didn't actually see a lot of it so its hard for me to be that invested. I still think that everyone cut Hoyt way too much slack, ignoring the shady stuff that he got into with a laugh and a "you lovable scamp!" reaction to his very serious crimes, even if it was clear that he did love the Walkers, but I can understand them just wanting to focus on the good times so soon after he died. I wish we had gotten to see more of him before he died so we got to see more of the parts of him people loved so much. 

The whole thing with Hoyt having property for about a minute and also animals was weird, but that baby Alpaca is seriously cute. So is the big one and so are the horses, in fact this whole show could use more cute animals in general. They live on a horse ranch, give us horses!

I am glad that Stella is pulling the plug on her Romeo and Juliette style romance with Trevor. I hope that things go alright with Trevor now that his terrible dad is gone, but way too much has gone on between him and Stella for that to keep going. Of course, considering her less than awesome boy choices, she could change her mind. 

• Love 3

I suppose that couldn’t have been anything other than anti-climatic - even Micki’s fight felt rushed and anti-climatic.  At least Bonham and Abilene are pulling closer, and it’s the first time I actually liked Geri, so there’s positives in that, I suppose.  I enjoyed the matter of fact way Bonham and Micki (and Geri, given what Bonham said?) recognised the alpaca for what it really was.  I  agree that the family were over-sentimental/indulgent about Hoyt.  Has anyone found a point in Stan yet?  And, lastly, cos I’m shallow, Jared looked much better with a budding beard than with the perma-stubble!

• Love 2

And on tonight's episode of Walker: Alpaca Wrangler....

Shut up, Stella. Shut up, Augie. 

Wow, renegade ranger Walker has really rubbed off on Micki. She picks up the slack by going all underground street fighter (but for good!) while the captain just mildly protests. 

I like Geri and Walker as friends -- do you hear that, writers? -- they have a strong connection and history. Forcing them together would be such a cliche, but that's never stopped a show from going there before.

Hoyt, you will live on as an adorable Alpaca! It's no flashback to his stint as a male stripper but it'll do. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Well, after basically not watching since episode 2, I binge watched the 11 other episodes that I've missed today. 

The teens are definitely the worst part of this show, not because the actors are bad (there are other weaker actors on this show), but because the characters are just so naive and oblivious and have caused a lot of issues for no good reason. Granted, it's not like their dad does a good job at communicating with them so they definitely take after him, but still. Hopefully this is the end of Trevor, so Stella can stop being an idiot. 

I can't say I cared that much about Hoyt since he only appeared in four episodes or something and probably had a total of 15 minutes of screentime with very little development of the character himself, but Matt Barr is a great actor and his death just eliminates one roadblock for Geri/Walker, which...doesn't interest me in any way. I get it; they want Walker to have a romance and if it's not going to be Micki, it has to be someone else and of course they'll make it Geri. 

It just feels so rushed. They set up a love triangle by having Geri and Walker kiss, Hoyt shows back up, proposes to Geri, who tells Hoyt the truth. He rushes over to confront Walker but doesn't get a chance to because he gets stabbed and killed and lo and behold, an opening for Geri/Walker's romance to blossom...all in fourteen episodes. What was really the point of Hoyt, other than being a foil for Geri/Walker, since most of his screentime was dedicated to that? He had a semi-interesting story with being undercover in prison but that ended as quickly as it began. Alas, they didn't utilize Hoyt that well so this episode fell flat for me.

Liam getting shot and also killing Clint certainly helped his campaign. But I'm with Bonham on this one; Stan is up to something nefarious. I don't see a path where he's happily accepting his friend as his opponent in the DA election. He's setting him up to backstab him and take the DA job. It feels like a "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" type situation. I don't know exactly how he will, besides trying to split the vote on Liam's end, but something's going to happen there. I guess it can't be worse than almost getting murdered on the family front lawn. 

Bonham/Abeline's relationship is on the mend, but they do really have to talk about their issues, such as Abby's affair.

I do like Micki and I like her working with Captain James. At least it looked like they were having some fun on their case. 

Not quite sure why I decided to catch up on this show but...I guess I'm in it now so...

• Love 4

This episode was kind of boring. I got of tuned out a little bit with the Llama and the Alpaca scenes.

Other thoughts of the show in general.....

. I still don't trust Jeri! A while back, someone posted that Emily's murder was solved too quickly. Jeri just happened to be there when that blondie was spilling everything to Walker and then Jeri shoots her before she says anything else. I think Jeri was involved!

. When is Miki and Walker going to hook up? You know it's heading that way.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, rr2911 said:

I still don't trust Jeri! A while back, someone posted that Emily's murder was solved too quickly. Jeri just happened to be there when that blondie was spilling everything to Walker and then Jeri shoots her before she says anything else. I think Jeri was involved!

That was me.  And, yeah, I still think she's shady.  If it just turns out that was conveniently convenient good timing, and conveniently convenient crime solving, I'm going to be annoyed.

• Love 3
On 6/12/2021 at 9:40 PM, jewel21 said:

Walker takes Stella and August on a road trip to discuss some devastating news.

Road trip?  Devastating news?  What did I miss?  

I thought a lot of the filming while they were supposedly riding was really poorly done.  In the first scene on horseback, I'd swear that the actor playing Augie wasn't even on a horse.  Also the scene where Stella has trouble with her horse going down the hill, really?  A ranch girl can't ride a horse down a hill, even a steep one, without help?  

I want to like this show, and in most episodes there are scenes I can appreciate.  Can't think of any for this one though.

• Love 1

I really really don't want them to go there with Walker and Micki. They have such a sibling vibe to me, like older brother/baby sister so I will be extremely squicked if they go that route. Plus I really like Trey and he and Micki are good together so it would be nice to have a stable couple on the show. They seem to have the only healthy romantic relationship onscreen and it's a nice anchor. Not every couple has to have some sort of dysfunction, whether it be cheating, breaking up 'for their own good', or even death. I'd like them to keep it that way. They can have Walker play the field and send Geri...somewhere else. 

• Love 2