Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, ennui said:

MjAxMy02OGY2MDhjYjc1YThiYWZm.png

I'm supplementing my fruit salad with cheese and crackers (smoked gouda and pepper jack).  I was going to warm up the leftover pasta, but lost interest.  Besides, Mr ebk will be working nights/weekends for another week, so the pasta will still be there.  As will more cheese and crackers.  And fermented fruit salad.

• Love 4

Just pizza, but I'm batch-cooking different soups (started last night, and will hopefully continue tonight), from a few different sites and books. 

(edited)

Lamb chops (seasoned with fresh garlic and rosemary and broiled to rare/medium-rare) with a mint sauce, but I have to decide on the side dish.  I love asparagus with lamb, but I used the last of my asparagus with last night's scallops.  Maybe Brussels sprouts; I have just about one serving left of those.  I need to decide on a salad/dressing, too - probably just mixed greens and a vinaigrette.  I need to go to the grocery store, so pickings are a bit slim.

I picked more mint than I need for the sauce, and it's nice warm weather, so right now I'm enjoying a mojito while I decide.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, 3pwood said:

Save some mint for tomorrow -- Kentucky Derby Day requires mint juleps!

I don't watch horse racing, but I do like the occasional mint julep.  I can only handle one or two sweet cocktails in an evening before it gets to be too much, but in warm weather I sometimes get a craving for one.  (And I have a lot of mint growing in my yard [that stuff spreads like crazy], so there's no need to save any of what I already picked tonight; there's quite the supply.) 

We went to a friends for dinner. I brought a layered Mexican salad, bean dip and a spicy spinach dip. The host 

made some awesome pork carnitas, several different salsas and a pepper salad. 

I was just going to make a Mexican pizza for the family when she suggested a get together so we ended up having quite a feast tonight!

Feel better, @Quof

I'm getting there, Qoass. A friend asked if I needed her to bring me more cereal.  I said "No, but I may need someone to shave my legs soon."

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Anela said:

A burrito, and those cinnamon twists from taco bell. I love those things. 

I used to go with the ordinary bean burrito during my Taco Bell days. Now it would probably be the chicken soft tacos as the only reasonably healthy choice there.  And yes, those cinnamon twists are super tasty. 

I think for dinner tonight I'm going to shred some chicken breast, mix it with cheese and some sort of taco sauce or seasoning and make quesadillas.  Oof, I just made myself hungry, which is very unhelpful at 9:00 AM.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Oof, I just made myself hungry, which is very unhelpful at 9:00 AM.

I'm lusting for dinner too at this early hour.  Not  quite sure what we're having tonight.

33 minutes ago, ariel said:

I'm lusting for dinner too at this early hour.  Not  quite sure what we're having tonight.

I have some salted caramel chocolate in my desk from a box of INSP Network swag they sent to the office. I had a piece of that to satisfy the unreasonable demands my stomach is making. 

The Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramels are to remind me that Heritage Falls is coming in June 2017.  The Maple Bourbon Caramels, which I also grabbed, are to let me know that State Place (an original series) is returning August 2017.  (My job is okay sometimes.)

• Love 1

I bought some plum tomatoes over the weekend.  I know they won't have much flavor this time of year but that works for me because I really don't care for the flavor of fresh tomatoes.  (Don't  you ask my why I eat foods I know I don't like.  We've been over this.)  My original plan was to make a tomato basil tart but the basil I got started to droop immediately even though I put it in a glass of water.  Instead, I put  together some pizza dough that rises on the counter over several hours which I will try to cook on my Foreman grill when I get home.  I'll marinate the tomatoes and basil with some red onion, oil and vinegar:  bruschetta, I hope.

6 minutes ago, Qoass said:

I bought some plum tomatoes over the weekend.  I know they won't have much flavor this time of year but that works for me because I really don't care for the flavor of fresh tomatoes.  (Don't  you ask my why I eat foods I know I don't like.  We've been over this.)  My original plan was to make a tomato basil tart but the basil I got started to droop immediately even though I put it in a glass of water.  Instead, I put  together some pizza dough that rises on the counter over several hours which I will try to cook on my Foreman grill when I get home.  I'll marinate the tomatoes and basil with some red onion, oil and vinegar:  bruschetta, I hope.

Yum. I had to go eat a banana. Y'all giving me hunger pangs! 

3 hours ago, Qoass said:

Instead, I put  together some pizza dough that rises on the counter over several hours which I will try to cook on my Foreman grill when I get home.  I'll marinate the tomatoes and basil with some red onion, oil and vinegar:  bruschetta, I hope.

Homemade pizza sounds good & I have the ingredients for it.  That's dinner tonight.

• Love 1

Tonight is a family bday and my grandsons baseball game. We are taking a picnic to the venue and celebrating before the game. Someone is bringing pizza, I've made a basic salad (took extras like cheese, hard boiled eggs fresh from the chickens, cucumbers so they don't make the salad watery, croutons, toppers and dressings in separate containers). Like a salad bar. There is a strawberry (again from the farm) whipped cream cake for dessert. A couple of families are joining. Should be fun. After dinner we will watch the kids play ball. 

• Love 2

Last night was breakfast for dinner which is always popular in the DeLurker house.  Bacon and scrambled eggs (well scrambled and well cooked) made their normal appearance but I also made pancakes which my my daughter extremely happy.

• Love 2

Just discovered this topic, and I will definitely be reviewing all the posts for some dinner ideas when I lack creativity (always).

Tonight I'm making pork ribs in the oven with a dry rub - this is my first attempt!! I think I'll serve them with roasted potatoes and steamed broccoli. I'm curious whether my 5-year old and 3-year old will try the ribs...

• Love 2
1 hour ago, RainbowBrite said:

I'm curious whether my 5-year old and 3-year old will try the ribs...

If they don't send the ribs to me.  I love ribs.

A nice home-made meat loaf.  I haven't made a loaf of meat in probably over a year (or longer).  I just had a craving, so I picked up the ingredients yesterday.  It's got a ways to go in the oven, but it's starting to smell good.  I'll probably have some oven roasted potatoes to go with it.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Mushroom and ham quiche with a big Green salad.

YUM! We had Ledo's Pizza (well, I had ravioli) I love their sauce! 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, BooksRule said:

A nice home-made meat loaf.  I haven't made a loaf of meat in probably over a year (or longer).  I just had a craving, so I picked up the ingredients yesterday.  It's got a ways to go in the oven, but it's starting to smell good.  I'll probably have some oven roasted potatoes to go with it.

I'm craving a meat loaf too.  Can you share your recipe?

11 hours ago, ariel said:

Sautéed cabbage & egg noodles.  It's comfort food that my Polish grandmother made.

I've made something like this - found it in a recipe book years ago.  I think it called for a sprinkle of sugar on the sauted cabbage.

Going out for my early Mother's Day dinner because I am cheap and do not want to pay exorbitant prices on the day! 

Going to have Ginger and Shallot crab with noodles and probably deep fried pigeon or Steamed oysters with XO sauce!

Nothing fancy.  I take the easy way out and use the recipe on the back of the McCormick seasoning packet.  The only thing I do differently is to use fresh soft breadcrumbs instead of the dry kind (I think they help keep it from becoming dry) and I always chop up a medium onion to put in the mixture.  I do have a recipe for a barbecue meatloaf that is pretty good.  I'll dig that one up and share it. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, ariel said:

Back during the summer when my oven was getting up to about 275 before stalling out and just making the house smell like gas, I started cooking a lot more things on my grill.  One of them was meatloaf using this particularly great recipe from the Weber Grill web site.  I tinker with the meat blends, often incorporating ground turkey, but the most important change I make is instead of finely chopping the onion, I grate it.  I also have a very heavy hand with the Worcestershire sauce. 

INGREDIENTS

MEAT LOAF

1¼ pounds ground beef (80% lean)

1¼ pounds ground pork

2 cups panko bread crumbs

1 cup finely chopped yellow onion

1 large egg

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon granulated garlic

1 teaspoon dried tarragon

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

SAUCE

½ cup bottled barbecue sauce

¼ cup ketchup

INSTRUCTIONS

In a large bowl using your hands, gently combine the meat loaf ingredients.

Divide the meat loaf mixture in half and form into two loaves, each about 4 inches wide and 6 to 7 inches long. Place the loaves on a sheet pan. 

Prepare the grill for indirect cooking over medium-low heat (about 350°F).

In a small bowl mix the sauce ingredients. Set aside half of the sauce to serve with the meat loaf. Top each meat loaf with 3 tablespoons of the remaining sauce and coat thoroughly.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I've made something like this - found it in a recipe book years ago.  I think it called for a sprinkle of sugar on the sauted cabbage.

My grandma would add a sprinkle of sugar to coleslaw. Maybe cabbage needs a boost.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, ennui said:

My grandma would add a sprinkle of sugar to coleslaw. Maybe cabbage needs a boost.

My Mom used to do that too. She said that it was to balance the acidity of the vinegar so that it had a tang but not a bite. 

• Love 2

@ennui:  I got that recipe many years ago from a book entitled, Saucepans and the Single Girl (my mother gave it to me when I moved into a new apt in my early 20's). It's all about cooking great meals to attract a potential husband (e.g., Foot Fit for a Man in a Brooks Brothers Suit). I think it was originally published in 1965, then updated in 2006. The recipe is called Noel's Noodles:

1/2 head cabbage, shredded

1/4 cup butter, melted

1 tsp sugar

Dashes salt & cracked pepper

1/2 pckg thin egg noodles, cooked (about 1 cup)

Saute the cabbage in butter until lightly browned.  Add sugar, S&P. Add cooked drained noodles and simmer on low flame until hot.  Serve 2.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Going out for my early Mother's Day dinner because I am cheap and do not want to pay exorbitant prices on the day! 

Going to have Ginger and Shallot crab with noodles and probably deep fried pigeon or Steamed oysters with XO sauce!

Great idea.  Days like Mother's Day and Valentine's Day seem to be a little cursed in restaurants -- they're so busy sometimes the food suffers, the waitstaff gets stretched thin, etc. Hope you enjoy your meal!

• Love 3

I do love that KFC runs a special advertising campaign for Mothers' Day.  "Give Mom the Day Off."  Nuthin' says lovin' like a bucket full of heart attack, and at least she doesn't have to cook. 

• Love 3

Oooh I love fried chicken (not very good at making it myself), especially Bojangles. Unfortunately we don't have Bojangles around here, just KFC & Popeyes. I've always wanted to try that Korean fried chicken, Bon Chon.  Has anyone tried it?  It's supposed to be very crispy and its crispyness survives the trip home.

6 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Oooh I love fried chicken (not very good at making it myself), especially Bojangles. Unfortunately we don't have Bojangles around here, just KFC & Popeyes. I've always wanted to try that Korean fried chicken, Bon Chon.  Has anyone tried it?  It's supposed to be very crispy and its crispyness survives the trip home.

I had Bon Chon a couple of years ago when a friend was raving about it. It was tasty but I didn't think it was amazing. Didn't seem any more crispy than others.

• Love 1

Thanks for the recipe, annzeepark914. I might try it.  

I think my dinner tonight is Trader Joe's shrimp pot stickers, following an introductory appetizer of fermented white grape juice.  

• Love 1