Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

I'm making grilled portobello sandwiches for supper.  There's Worcestershire sauce in with the garlic and olive oil marinade that makes those mushrooms so steak-like.  I like to serve them with sauted bell peppers and onions, and some aioli.  It's vegetarian but I never think of it that way.

• Love 3
(edited)

Linguine and clams tonight. If I had to declare a last meal, not that I'm thinking of killing anyone or anything, it might be this.

I think my last meal would be a ribeye steak (medium well), a plate of crab legs, some fresh strawberries and a slice of chocolate cake with buttercream frosting. And iced tea to wash it down.  All of my favorite foods.

I haven't any of those foods (except for the strawberries and tea) in a long, long time.  As a matter of fact, I've been trying to stick to my diet and my food log is telling me that I haven't been eating enough calories each day (which is very unlike me!).  So, it's healthy homemade vegetable soup for lunch and a good dinner with protein (probably baked chicken), some green veggies (home cooked green beans) and maybe some brown rice. And an orange or apple for snack.

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, harrie said:

Linguine and clams tonight. If I had to declare a last meal, not that I'm thinking of killing anyone or anything, it might be this. 

Oh that sounds so good!  Since clams here are so crazily expensive (and so salty for some reason), I just get the canned ones and add them to a red sauce. For my last meal, I'd want to start off with baked clams (topped with those garlicky, buttery toasted breadcrumbs).

• Love 1

I totally have my last meal planned.   I'm not going to get through this life without killing someone. Mind you, I live in a country with no death penalty....

• Love 1

We're having rib-eye steaks tonight at my parents' house, BooksRule (but medium rare).  Also artichokes, and I'm not sure what else (other than the ubiquitous side green salad).  Strawberry shortcake for dessert.  Is it dinner time yet??

• Love 3

My cheat day has turned into a cheat weekend, naturally. Yesterday I made stuffed mushrooms, tortellini salad and cream cheese and spinach stuffed flank steaks for dinner. Tonight I'm using up a corned beef I bought back in March and we are having corned beef and cabbage. Back to dieting tomorrow ;)

• Love 4
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Oh that sounds so good!  Since clams here are so crazily expensive (and so salty for some reason), I just get the canned ones and add them to a red sauce. For my last meal, I'd want to start off with baked clams (topped with those garlicky, buttery toasted breadcrumbs).

We're lucky to have access to a couple of different fishmongers/fishermen, so clams are pretty easy to come by. And we're regular customers, so we get a couple extra thrown in for insurance, or sometimes "there's only a handful left, so I'm throwing them in" happens.  The baked clams with breadcrumbs sound scrumptious!

4 hours ago, Mountainair said:

My cheat day has turned into a cheat weekend, naturally. Yesterday I made stuffed mushrooms, tortellini salad and cream cheese and spinach stuffed flank steaks for dinner. Tonight I'm using up a corned beef I bought back in March and we are having corned beef and cabbage. Back to dieting tomorrow ;)

Corned beef and cabbage doesn't sound so bad - the cut of meat is a little fatty, but it's basically protein and fiber (cabbage being the fiber).  I'm watching carbs (much as a friend once noted "I'm watching my figure - watching it grow and grow..."), so that would be a pretty good meal.  As long as I forego the taters, of course.

Tonight is a pulled chicken thing from The Chew - they seem like they'll be okay, but nothing to write home about. Also trying a cocktail made with prosecco, limoncello and blueberries (should have been raspberries, but blueberries were on hand).  Very refreshing after a long, pretty warm, humid, sometimes rainy afternoon in the garden.

• Love 2

Tonight it's the family's recipe for almost-vegetarian Caesar salad. Uses egg whites instead of entire eggs, a significant amount of minced garlic, and Tabasco instead of the mustard powder that restaurants like to use. Let it thicken in the refrigerator for a half hour before adding the lettuce and croutons.

• Love 3

I have to leave work early today to pick up my daughter from a birthday party, giving me the rare extra 30 minutes on a weeknight to actually cook something.  I have no idea what to do with this right now. I'm thinking maybe we'll stop on the way home and pick up some pizza dough. We can make a bunch of little pizzas to cook on the grill tonight.  

• Love 2

Made homemade sauce for a casserole.  Used three roma tomatoes, half an onion, three cloves of garlic and an apple (added a bit of bottled tomato sauce too - just a little - like less than 1/4 cup). 

• Love 2

I made (whole wheat thin crust) pizza with alfredo sauce, chicken, mushrooms, and broccoli, and I'm really struggling to talk myself out of eating another piece or two as a midnight snack.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I made (whole wheat thin crust) pizza with alfredo sauce, chicken, mushrooms, and broccoli, and I'm really struggling to talk myself out of eating another piece or two as a midnight snack.

HA!  Since I lost my mind at then end of last year and became obsessed with getting fit, I've pretty much cooked almost nothing that has this kind of power over me.  When I make pizza, we divide up the crust and each person gets a personal pizza so that there are no leftovers.  When I make pasta, I don't make enough of the actual pasta for just that meal, so the leftover sauce requires another batch of pasta.  The worst was macaroni and potato salad for Memorial Day weekend.  I had to make big batches of that.  I served it to my kids with practically every meal just to get it out of my fridge.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, krimimimi said:

Key Lime Pie. (There may have been other food, too, but, really, who cares? Life's short and unpredictable: eat dessert first! :-))

You just uttered my favorite three words.  M&M has a fabulous version (needs whipped cream), along with a local restaurant I sometimes call for take-out.  Yum!!!

9 hours ago, PRgal said:

Lazy Friday = ordering pizza.  'Nuff said.

Heh. My kids went for pizza with their uncle so I went to see Ghostbusters after work and had a low fat hot dog and a bag of microwave vegetables when I got home. 

A super low effort dinner. 

2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Heh. My kids went for pizza with their uncle so I went to see Ghostbusters after work and had a low fat hot dog and a bag of microwave vegetables when I got home. 

A super low effort dinner. 

Low fat hot dog?  What did that taste like?

28 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Low fat hot dog?  What did that taste like?

Hebrew National low fat are actually pretty good. And the 97% fat free ones are the only acceptable version of genuinely low calorie hot dogs I've found. Doctor them up with good mustard and sauerkraut and they work fine with my diet. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, NewDigs said:

^^^ Husband reports same. Complete with a look of astonishment. Have not tried but will. Pre-cruise dieting so have left hot dog buns off the menu.

I've been using weight watchers as my calorie counter since January. The 97% fat free Hebrew National on a ShopRite light hot dog roll has been a 3 point mainstay on my "no time to cook dinner" list. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I eat hot dogs so rarely that I generally don't bother with a reduced fat version, but having had those Hebrew Nationals, I can confirm they do, indeed, taste good.  Not like the real thing, but good.  Surprisingly, I think the 97% fat free ones taste better than the reduced fat ones.

(At least, this was the case when I last tried them; it's been probably two or three years.)

Edited by Bastet

Hot dogs for me (different than sausages) are purely a condiment delivery system so I can't even tell the difference when I have had a Smart Dog or other vegetarian ones. 

Tonight it's clams and spaghetti. 

• Love 2

Going to make baked eggs tonight.  Was thinking of doing a savoury bread pudding, but brioche works better and I only have regular sliced bread (not that one can't make bread pudding with sliced bread).  So baked eggs, toast and asparagus it is! :)

• Love 5

Perhaps fueled by my flank steak success a while back, I fired up the the charcoal grill again after work today, but this time for a London Broil cut. It came out great. Way better than one should expect. All hail the charcoal is my new motto for steak. 

• Love 6
23 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Does anyone want my leftover turkey meatloaf?  Neither of us wants it.  It's not that it tastes bad.  It's just...meh.  I'll pack it up for ya & send it via UPS :>)

LOL!  Ketchup helps (ketchup helps with EVERYTHING, IMHO).  Or pico de gallo.  Basically anything with tomatoes.  :P  But that's just me. 

• Love 1
On 7/20/2016 at 9:41 AM, annzeepark914 said:

Does anyone want my leftover turkey meatloaf?  Neither of us wants it.  It's not that it tastes bad.  It's just...meh.  I'll pack it up for ya & send it via UPS :>)

6 hours ago, PRgal said:

LOL!  Ketchup helps (ketchup helps with EVERYTHING, IMHO).  Or pico de gallo.  Basically anything with tomatoes.  :P  But that's just me. 

I was thinking cheese and/or some sauce you like, annzeepark914.  Or maybe breaking it up into a sloppy-joe type thing?  I've frozen stuff we didn't love or got tired of and when we need something fast we were happy to have it.  PRGAL, you made me laugh but I like your suggestions!  Maybe combine the tomatoes and cheese.

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Crumble up the meatloaf, add taco seasoning and there you go.  Or barbecue sauce.  That helps pretty much everything that isn't helped by adding cheese or chocolate.

I typically make spicy meatloafs when I make them and I frequently turn the leftovers into nachos. 

Tonight I made this Sara Moulton recipe for pork chops with Spanish olive sauce. It was tasty and crazy quick, I dId Israeli couscous with peppers as a side and that took longer to make so dinner was on the table in under 15 minutes. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
(edited)
17 hours ago, wilsie said:

I was thinking cheese and/or some sauce you like, annzeepark914.  Or maybe breaking it up into a sloppy-joe type thing?  I've frozen stuff we didn't love or got tired of and when we need something fast we were happy to have it.  PRGAL, you made me laugh but I like your suggestions!  Maybe combine the tomatoes and cheese.

Tomatoes and cheese work PERFECTLY! :)  And no, I won't put ketchup on ice cream/froyo/other desserts.  Well, unless I became a competitor in Chopped Canada:  Home Cooks Edition or something like that (and was forced to). LOL :D!

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 2

Stayed in the neighbourhood tonight and dined on cuisine from three countries:  some kimchi pancakes and bibimbap (Korean), maki (Japan) and then gelato for dessert. :)

• Love 1

It's my favorite day of the week- Cheat Day! Tonight I'm making fettuccine Alfredo from scratch- none of that stuff in a jar, roasted pork loin, spinach orzo salad and tomato pie. For desert I bought a Hershey's chocolate pie! 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Mountainair said:

It's my favorite day of the week- Cheat Day! Tonight I'm making fettuccine Alfredo from scratch- none of that stuff in a jar, roasted pork loin, spinach orzo salad and tomato pie. For desert I bought a Hershey's chocolate pie! 

Wow, that really *IS* a cheat day meal!  And it sounds delicious! :)

• Love 3

Steamers to start, and a (mayo-based) lobster salad -- on a bun for the hub and on a bed of lettuce for me. (Yes, we broke the Connecticut rule, where the only true lobster roll is made with melted butter, but it was just.too.hot for that.)  And grilled, very fresh corn on the side. 

• Love 3