Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Quof, your link won't work.  The tart sounds yummy - if it's not too much trouble, can you please share the recipe name so I can search around?  Thanks in advance.

Last night was clam chowder, tonight is ropa vieja.  

Tonight I'm doing a roast in the crockpot. I combined a packet of brown gravy, dry italian dressing, dry ranch mix and a little bit of water And poured that over the roast. Smells yummy! On the side I'll oven roast potatoes, carrots and brussel sprouts and serve bread on the side.

• Love 3

Well, this is from yesterday but I did a pantry dinner.  I had a few tomatoes and spinach from my little pot garden on the deck.  I used the tomatoes along with a half leftover 29 oz stewed tomatoes (I'm really sold on them they're so sweet) and a can of sauce and some "Italian seasoning" (I prefer to mix my own) to make a sauce.  I had a partial box of lasagna noodles and a new one so I boiled 10. I bought ricotta for this and had colby/jack to use up with egg parsley and garlic.  The spinach was blanched and I rolled up the noodles to make lasagna rolls.  I had extra tomato sauce and blended it with the T or so of sour cream I had left to make the best tomato soup I've ever had.  I thought doing rolls would divide into freezer portions more easily. 

• Love 2

LOL at QuelleC. I had to do a double-take when I read "from my little pot garden." OK, so I was a wild child in the 70's!

Funny!  I didn't pick up on that since I have a little pot garden of herbs on my deck as well (and nothing illegal in those pots! ;>)

Easy supper tonight: grilled smoked pork sausages from MI and I made potato salad.  Now investing my time watching the lunar eclipse (well, we watched the moon slowly disappear and hope when it emerges bloodred, that we'll be able to see it...lots of clouds out tonight).

• Love 2

Saturday was our 33 wedding anniversary, and we went out to dinner at the local Japanese restaurant.  Came home and had angel food cake, Cava (Spanish champagne) and sake.   The owner of the liquor store where we bought the sake also gave us for free a giant magnum-size bottle of sake, which didn't taste very good.  I figure it had been sitting around his store unsold for a long time.  I can use it for cooking, if nothing else.

Last night I had steak (bought at the Farmers' Market, baked potatoes, Cesar salad, and sliced tomatoes.  Today, since we've got one more day of summer-type weather, I'm making Tuna Nicoise.   The rest of the week we'll have more fall-type dishes.   

• Love 5

Last night I made chicken stir fry, It's a Weight Watcher recipe - marinate cut up skinless chicken breast in chicken broth, soy sauce, Worcestershire, and a little sesame oil. Drain off marinade and stir fry with asparagus and green onions. Serve over brown rice with soy sauce and toasted sesame seeds. For some reason, the toasted sesame seeds add something that makes the dish.

Tonight will be chicken fajitas to finish off the chicken breasts I bought. Marinade the chicken in lime juice, soy sauce, chili powder, and a little chili pepper flakes. Drain marinade, cook chicken with green and red bell peppers and onion. Serve on tortilla with salsa. (Another Weight Watcher recipe).

• Love 2

Got dinner started in the slow cooker.  Found some bone-in pork butt on sale and had it cut in half to make 2 manageable portions.  Throw in a blend of soy sauce, red wine, hoisin sauce, ginger root, a squeeze of fresh citrus (whatever is handy - today was lemon) ...there's no exact recipe.

I'll make some rice to go with it later today, but any leftovers are always good in ramen noodles, as sandwiches, by itself...

• Love 3

I tried the new "it" ingredient, Za'atar. (Blend of sumac, sesame seeds and thyme.) I had to get a larger than I really needed bag at a Persian grocery store. I tried a recipe with roasted cauliflower and garlic with Za'atar, parsley and lemon juice.

I was underwhelmed. All I could really taste were the sesame seeds.

Anybody else tried it?

On Tuesdays at work local farmers come in to sell their goods. I got some baby (prob not official name) cucumbers and a gorgeous tomato.

Made a pit stop at Fresh Market (closest store to me) to get red onion and beautiful block of feta in liquid of some sort. Going to make a Greek salad type dressing, likely Ina's, and combine all of the above.

• Love 4

I made spinach ricotta dumplings for dinner.  They were easy to make, just spinach, ricotta, flour, and eggs.   It did take a long time though to form all the dumplings, and then boil them, but they tasted really good.   I had arugula salad with pignoli and golden raisins on the side.    

• Love 2

The hub made these big meatballs - and they were really, really good.  He simmered them in a marinara sauce from our tomatoes, and garnished with a dollop of fresh ricotta. Small green salad on the side.  It was a little decadent, but not too much.  Quite yummy.

Edited by harrie
  • Love 2

I tried the new "it" ingredient, Za'atar. (Blend of sumac, sesame seeds and thyme.) I had to get a larger than I really needed bag at a Persian grocery store. I tried a recipe with roasted cauliflower and garlic with Za'atar, parsley and lemon juice.

I was underwhelmed. All I could really taste were the sesame seeds.

Anybody else tried it?

Sounded so promising...

Chicken curry & rice for dinner tonight and it was quite good.  I experimented a bit and tossed in some chopped apple and chopped sweet potato.  Since some bad weather is supposedly on its way to the Mid-Atlantic area, this might be a good time for soup (and grilled cheese croutons!)  Geez laweeze--a nor'easter and maybe Hurricane Joaquin right after?  You'd think in this day and age, scientists would've devised a system to divert this nasty wet weather to our friends in California.

• Love 3

I'm in the Northeast, and we're down about 5-6 inches of rain so far this year, so I kind of welcome Joaquin, but he won't do a fat lot of good for the garden at this point. If tomorrow (and our garden, because the mud gets kind of slick) is dry enough, we'll probably be doing some cleanup, including whacking some downed tomato plants. Boo hiss.  

Tonight is grilled cheese on yummy whole grain bread, with pickles, grainy mustard (thanks, Caseus!), and a cup of leftover clam chowder.

A pizza from Pizza Studio. Bacon, chicken breast, basil, roasted red peppers, Jamaican jerk seasoning, pesto, truffle salt on a non-gluten, crispy crust. 900 calories total pizza.

I'm a pizza traditionalist, but that sounds really good.

• Love 4

Chicken curry & rice for dinner tonight and it was quite good.  I experimented a bit and tossed in some chopped apple and chopped sweet potato.  Since some bad weather is supposedly on its way to the Mid-Atlantic area, this might be a good time for soup (and grilled cheese croutons!)  Geez laweeze--a nor'easter and maybe Hurricane Joaquin right after?  You'd think in this day and age, scientists would've devised a system to divert this nasty wet weather to our friends in California.

No kidding on the bad weather for the Mid-Atlantic. No grilling going on here for the next 5 days. I'm thinking crab cakes and some vegetarian chili to start.

We're used to getting our sailboat ready for a tropical storm or worse, but a Nor' Easter followed by a hurricane - new experience. Guess that's why God made foul weather gear.

• Love 2

Fall weather here too, first frost might hit tonight.  Today I had yesterday's dinner.  I was hungry for fall time potato au gratin with bechamel and lean boneless pork loin chops cooked with it. I was doing a lot of kitchen cleanup and set toaster oven timer (see:  Indepensable Kitchen Gadgets)  My adult son turned it off in retaliation to my turning off his computer.  I didn't, just the monitor and half the lights in the house since I owe a lot in electric.  So the timer never went off, I fell asleep and baked it again today so twice the electricity.  It was already baked through so I don't think I risk too much in food poisoning I guess...

• Love 2

Zucchini casserole (chunks of zucchini baked with olive oil, bread crumbs, Parmesan and a little garlic), broccoli, and pears -- I stocked up on produce at the farmer's market last weekend and am close to finishing it all.

• Love 2

Gosh that all sounds yummy.  I have a recipe for zuke/tomato gratin I've wanted to do for years.  It sounds a bit soggy though, I might drain them well and do it in a breakfast strata or fritatta. It involves lining up the slices alternately.  I never got any grilled zuke planks this year :(

• Love 1

I finally got around to making Sausage Potato Salad, a recipe I found in the Deen Brothers cookbook.  The vinaigrette dressing was way too tart (made my hair stand up, I swannee!) so I softened it with some honey and added more e.v.o.o.  I believe this is a keeper :>)

• Love 1

Had a thing with clams, potatoes, chorizo, garlic, and a little white wine tonight - plus crusty bread for dipping.  Tomorrow is either a big arugula salad with shredded beets and ricotta salata or broccoli quiche.

• Love 5

Cool fall weather is definitely here.   In the past few days I made roast chicken with stuffing and roasted carrots, roasted pork tenderloin with red potato mash and green beans almandine.   Last night I made Cincinnati chili.   This afternoon we're going to a short film festival at our local theater, and afterwards there's a reception at a Mexican restaurant across the street, so that'll probably be the main meal of the day.   If we don't get enough to eat, I'll make chicken sandwiches with the leftover chicken from the roast I made earlier this week.   

• Love 4

I made a pot of chili yesterday.  It was good, if I say so myself as I shouldn't.

Tonight is oven-BBQ-d chicken along with a pot of Italian flat green beans cooked with some white shoepeg corn (and a couple of slices of browned bacon for seasoning).

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 4

I made this the other night- one of my favorite fall recipes.  It still feels like summer here but calendar says fall so I'm going for it!  You can vary the heat on this by how much chipotle you and the avocados in on top are delicious.  I usually crush some tortilla chips, add some sour cream and maybe a little cheese.

http://cookieandkate.com/2012/butternut-squash-chipotle-chili-with-avocado/

Tonight it'll be leftover roast lamb with potatoes and asparagus.  

• Love 2

I made this the other night- one of my favorite fall recipes.  It still feels like summer here but calendar says fall so I'm going for it!  You can vary the heat on this by how much chipotle you and the avocados in on top are delicious.  I usually crush some tortilla chips, add some sour cream and maybe a little cheese.

http://cookieandkate.com/2012/butternut-squash-chipotle-chili-with-avocado/

Tonight it'll be leftover roast lamb with potatoes and asparagus.  

I subscribe to Cookie and Kate also...

• Love 1

Still on my beef kick. Last week I made myself Reuben sandwiches for lunch everyday and sometimes dinner. This week's lunches are French Dip Sandwiches. For dinner tonight I think I'll make Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie. 

Tomorrow is my birthday! So I'm taking the night off from cooking and thought it'd be fun to take the boys to the Japanese restaurant where they cook the food at your table. They'be never been and I'm sure they'll enjoy that. Of course, I'll get the Steak and Shrimp :)

• Love 6

Last night my husband and saw the movie The Martian and then went out to dinner at a new place in town.  I had a pulled pork sandwich and my husband had a cheese steak sandwich, they were both really good.  For lunch I planned to have hot dogs with leftover Cincinnati chili, but the hot dogs we had turned out to be badly freezer burned, so we just had the chili on the hot dog buns.  Next time I freeze hot dogs, I'll have to be sure to wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil.  

Tonight I'm making sausage and mushroom pizza, probably on the grill since the weather is nice today.   

Happy Birthday Mountaineer, I like to go to a Japanese restaurant for my birthday too.   

• Love 1

Thawed and then sauted shrimp in garlic flavored olive oil then tossed them in Arrabiatta sauce (TJ's) mixed with Mario's (a restaurant recipe in Rochester NY sold only at Wegman's).  Very good served on thin spaghetti.  Leftover tossed salad and waa-laa, instant dinner!

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 3

Grilled turkey wings and turkey chops; green salad with broccoli and green beans, bacon, tomato and avocado on bed of lettuce; whole grilled yams; and grilled sliced yellow squash. Lemon and avocado oil instead of dressing. It is too hot to turn on oven. Barely 9:00 AM and it is 83 degrees.

• Love 1