Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

I'm going to make pizza tonight. 

Since it looks like a relatively slow weekend on the running around front, I'm going to bang out some garden related cooking. I'll make a couple of zucchini quiche things for the freezer. I'll saw off the basil plants and make some pesto.  

On 8/3/2018 at 8:45 AM, JTMacc99 said:

I'm going to make pizza tonight. 

Since it looks like a relatively slow weekend on the running around front, I'm going to bang out some garden related cooking. I'll make a couple of zucchini quiche things for the freezer. I'll saw off the basil plants and make some pesto.  

Friday was pizza night for me too. I brought doughmarinara, pesto, homemade meatballs (onions, garlic, zucchini, ground turkey, bacon, breadcrumbs, egg, oregano, basil, parsley, and parmesan), some sausage, bacon, faux nduja, pepperoni, arugula, spinach, and brussel sprouts over to my brother's house and let the kids go wild. We used my pizza stones and cast iron skillet.

I'm still thinking that I might want to get a pizza steel.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

It’s too hot to cook, so it’s chips, salsa, guacamole, black bean dip and Monterey jack cheese for dinner. 

Too hot here as well so I ordered a delivery. Chicken Picatta and an Adriatic Salad with Roasted Shallot Dressing. It’s been an hour. I hope it comes soon! 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Met friends for dinner at a waterfront restaurant. I'm continuing my crab cake tasting with a 1 crab cake platter that I had with fries and slaw. Good crab cake.

Next time I come up to MD I’m writing to you for recommendations for where to eat! 

4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Next time I come up to MD I’m writing to you for recommendations for where to eat! 

Absolutely! I'm on a crab cake testing mission lately. I volunteer at the Annapolis Visitors Center (2 locations), and if I work the afternoon shift I treat myself to lunch somewhere before hand. The place we ate at last night had everything from filet mignon to salmon, you name it, but I couldn't resist the crab cake.

Crab cakes in Maryland really are better than crab cakes anywhere else.   When I used to go to corporate HQ in Baltimore, I don't think I ate anything else.

Since I was worried about the weather spoiling my plans for grilling steaks tonight, rightly so since it just started raining as I pulled into the drive from the grocery store.  I wandered around the store aimlessly trying to think of a Plan B and finally came up with it:  Spaghetti.  I've got the sauce started (as always thanks to the good folks here who pointed me in the right direction for a sauce recipe!). 

I usually make Ina's version, but I made a WeightWatcher's version instead.  Turns out, it's pretty darn good and I didn't notice a difference using 1/4 of the oil that Ina calls for.

"Tastes the same, and my pants fit better" Joey Tribbiani. 

• Love 4

Ordered Indian last night.  My husband loves butter chicken and saag paneer, but we decided to reverse it - saag chicken and butter paneer.  The naan was soggy, unfortunately.

For the second time in four days (work-related event) I had dinner at a local Italian Restaurant (that specializes in seafood).  On Friday, I had the spicy shrimp fra diavolo (very spicy shrimp in a marinara sauce over angel hair pasta).  Tonight I had the blackened grouper with lump crabmeat alfredo sauce with a side of angel hair pasta with marinara.  Both were good (I did bring some of tonight's dinner home in a box, so I'm going to have a snack later!).

I made a new recipe tonight - Rice Noodles with Spicy Pork and Herbs.  Since I don't like rice noodles (can never figure out how long to cook them, so they're either still hard or they're mushy), I served the delicious ground pork on toasted burger buns.  Think I'll put the leftover pork and sauce over angel hair pasta.

• Love 1

In the Trader Joe's thread @chessiegal mentioned a craving for a chili dog.  Same here! I'd go buy one at Shake Shack or something, but they're like a million calories. I can make them relatively guilt free at home with 97% fat free Hebrew National hot dogs and some light hot dog buns.  This weekend I'm either going to make some chili or if anybody has any suggestions for actually good canned chili, I'm all ears. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Since I don't like rice noodles (can never figure out how long to cook them, so they're either still hard or they're mushy)

What kind (thickness) rice noodles were you making?

I love the rice vermicelli ones and can eat them day after day with no problem. 

@DeLurker:  I had the ones that look like flat sticks (they've been in the pantry for quite a while too).  The thin ones that are in loops?  When I try to cook them...they end up a bit too soft.  Guess I'm better off using vermicelli or angel hair pasta...those I can cook al dente perfectly :>)

10 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

In the Trader Joe's thread @chessiegal mentioned a craving for a chili dog.  Same here! I'd go buy one at Shake Shack or something, but they're like a million calories. I can make them relatively guilt free at home with 97% fat free Hebrew National hot dogs and some light hot dog buns.  This weekend I'm either going to make some chili or if anybody has any suggestions for actually good canned chili, I'm all ears. 

I like Amy’s Organic Chili, medium. It’s my preferred brand for chili dogs.

• Love 1
On 8/15/2018 at 10:32 PM, chessiegal said:

At Whole Foods? 

Thanks for all the chili recommendations. :-}

Sorry , just saw this. Yes, you should be able to get it at Whole Foods. I found it at my local Target, too. Hmmm....I have hot dogs and buns in the freezer, and tomorrow I’m going to Target. Guess it will be chili dogs for lunch!

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 2

It's crab cake Friday. Our locally owned small grocery store chain (6 stores - their motto is we'd rather be good than big) is having their jumbo lump crab cakes on sale for $9.99 every Friday in August. I usually serve it with steak fries and coleslaw, but the deli had "creamy German potato salad" that looked good, so the sides will be that and cucumber salad. My husband loved all the potato salads he had in Germany and Austria this year.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, chessiegal said:

It's crab cake Friday. Our locally owned small grocery store chain (6 stores - their motto is we'd rather be good than big) is having their jumbo lump crab cakes on sale for $9.99 every Friday in August. I usually serve it with steak fries and coleslaw, but the deli had "creamy German potato salad" that looked good, so the sides will be that and cucumber salad. My husband loved all the potato salads he had in Germany and Austria this year.

~sigh~That sounds sooooo good to me.  I love crab cakes and I equally love German potato salad. Hmmm...I need long distance delivery from this store! :>)

I thought we were going to have dinner at a nice waterfront restaurant near Annapolis. My husband is helping a friend of ours move his sailboat to a boatyard near there today. He offered to bring him home, but I said give me 30 minutes and I'll meet you and we'll go out to dinner. Since he wanted to leave at 1 pm, we both assumed he was planning on motoring - about a 4-5 hour trip. Turns out he wanted to sail, and I've been following them on Marine Traffic slowly make their way north. My poor husband! He had a good breakfast but just oatmeal for an early lunch. I hope our friend had some food on board. If not, he must be starving. My husband called at 4 and said it would be another 3 hours, so we decided to cancel the dinner plans. Just checked, and they're close, but still not there. I'm peeved - if he planned on sailing, they should have left this morning.

Rant over.

ETA: Our friend's wife just called me to see if my husband was home. Her husband wasn't answering his phone. When I told her they were just arriving, and sailed the whole way, she said "Sailed??!!" She said her husband had no lunch, so I think there are 2 hungry guys on that boat.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, forumfish said:

I hope they had a couple of rods and tackle!

They had cookies and crackers. Turns out the bottom of the boat was really fouled (barnacles) - the reason it was being hauled to get the bottom cleaned, and couldn't even do hull speed. Our friend had no idea it would take so long. I had P.F. Chang's chicken fried rice ready when he got home.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

They had cookies and crackers. Turns out the bottom of the boat was really fouled (barnacles) - the reason it was being hauled to get the bottom cleaned, and couldn't even do hull speed. Our friend had no idea it would take so long. I had P.F. Chang's chicken fried rice ready when he got home.

I love P F Chang's chicken fried rice!  It has that hint of sesame flavor that's so good.

Tonight's dinner is a marinated pork tenderloin (Wishbone Dressing's House Italian + Turkish Seasoning), Gruyere potato gratin, baked Parmesan tomatoes, & maybe a salad--hopefully eaten on the deck...first time since late May that the weather has been decent.

• Love 1

That all sounds good @annzeepark914, but the Gruyere potato gratin would mean everything else would be a leftover for tomorrow.

I’m glad neither of my kids like potato dishes because I would just be completely round from eating them all the time.

• Love 2
On 8/20/2018 at 5:47 PM, DeLurker said:

That all sounds good @annzeepark914, but the Gruyere potato gratin would mean everything else would be a leftover for tomorrow.

I’m glad neither of my kids like potato dishes because I would just be completely round from eating them all the time.

That potato gratin was out of this world!  But it made a LOT so tomorrow night I'll heat up the massive leftovers & serve with a salad. It would be nice to eat potato gratin every day ;>)

• Love 4

I made a hamburger noodle casserole that my boys liked enough to forgive me for the hot mess that was last night's attempt at stir fry. Overcooked rice and mushy veggies, ick, just complete ick.

Going out to the garden to cut some rosemary branches that will be about a foot long. Then I remove the leaves from 3/4 of it and dry them for later use. I marinated some chicken with olive oil, salt and pepper, lemon juice and zest and some of the rosemary leaves. Then thread the chicken on the branches (which have now become the skewers) and grill it. I try to keep the green part of the branches off of the direct heat (or cover with a bit of foil). Fresh and yummy. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Going out to the garden to cut some rosemary branches that will be about a foot long. Then I remove the leaves from 3/4 of it and dry them for later use. I marinated some chicken with olive oil, salt and pepper, lemon juice and zest and some of the rosemary leaves. Then thread the chicken on the branches (which have now become the skewers) and grill it. I try to keep the green part of the branches off of the direct heat (or cover with a bit of foil). Fresh and yummy. 

That sounds wonderful. Lemon and rosemary are so great with chicken.

• Love 2

Chili beef hotdogs on toasted pretzel sausage buns. I used Tabasco 7 spice chili starter with lean ground beef, and per package instructions added beer rather than the other alternatives of water or tomato juice. Really good chili. I'll be buying that Tabasco product again (found it at Whole Foods).

• Love 1