Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E12: Mayday (Part 1) / S03.E13: Mayday (Part 2)

• Start Topic

43 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

If they had looked into dementia, they might have learned how the level of care and  number of providers a person with dementia needs might be served better in a facility or home with professionals, activities, caregivers with expertise in caregiving people with this condition.  

I agree. I remember Jeff saying something like they were very careful and did research into Beverly's actions to make them authentic. Since they had Zeke and Michaela refuse Beverly's husband's wishes in the place that he had set up for her, hopefully they did research on this topic as well. 

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, LaurelleJ said:
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

If they had looked into dementia, they might have learned how the level of care and  number of providers a person with dementia needs might be served better in a facility or home with professionals, activities, caregivers with expertise in caregiving people with this condition.  

I agree. I remember Jeff saying something like they were very careful and did research into Beverly's actions to make them authentic. Since they had Zeke and Michaela refuse Beverly's husband's wishes in the place that he had set up for her, hopefully they did research on this topic as well. 

What was the point of the character of Beverly this season? 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I’m not sure, but when Beverly exhibited behavior that is very representative of people who have dementia, those two looked at her like she was crazy and tried to correct her beliefs. Wrong approach.  And they seemed uninformed to me.  

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I think her character served as providing Zeke and Michaela a home by Michaela's husband passing away, but more importantly providing the introduction of Zeke's new abilities. When she was having episodes, he was able to feel what she was feeling, which gave him the ability to say things to calm her down. 

• Useful 1
39 minutes ago, LaurelleJ said:

I think her character served as providing Zeke and Michaela a home by Michaela's husband passing away, but more importantly providing the introduction of Zeke's new abilities. When she was having episodes, he was able to feel what she was feeling, which gave him the ability to say things to calm her down. 

I guess that bugs me because it's like she's not a real person, just plot device wrapped in a condition.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I guess that bugs me because it's like she's not a real person, just plot device wrapped in a condition.

Completely understandable. There were plenty of other opportunities to display Zeke's new abilities which they did use: channeling the meth heads, Angelina, feeling Michaela's pain when she was hurt. I just remembered they also used Beverly to further push the Zeke vs. Jared drama, with Beverly thinking that Michaela and Jared were still together. Again, just using her as a device. 

10 hours ago, LaurelleJ said:

Completely understandable. There were plenty of other opportunities to display Zeke's new abilities which they did use: channeling the meth heads, Angelina, feeling Michaela's pain when she was hurt. I just remembered they also used Beverly to further push the Zeke vs. Jared drama, with Beverly thinking that Michaela and Jared were still together. Again, just using her as a device. 

Perhaps if the writers had been able to see and implement the potential in including a fully realized character with dementia in the the show, Manifest would not have been cancelled, nor would it have been ridiculed by us here for the past 3 seasons ("us" meaning me and anyone else who regularly snarked about the show).
Ah well. I suppose the character of Beverly is an example of all the squandered potential in this show's concept.

• Love 1
On 6/13/2021 at 10:07 PM, shapeshifter said:

Creator Jeff Rake acknowledged the show’s cancellation on Twitter, noting he was “hoping to find a new home.”

My dear Manifesters,

I’m devastated by NBC’s decision to cancel us. That we’ve been shut down in the middle is a gut punch to say the least. Hoping to find a new home. You the fans deserve an ending to your story. Thanks for the love shown to me, cast, and crew. #savemanifest

— Jeff Rake (@jeff_rake) June 15, 2021

(edited)
On 6/14/2021 at 4:52 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Yes, and they should accepted what her husband had previously arranged for her.  They totally ignored his wishes.  The writers owe apologies to all caregivers of  people with dementia. caregivers don’t just live their lives like Zeke and Michaela are doing.  It’s a struggle to leave to go to the grocery store for 30 minutes.   Beverly is well into the dementia progression. She doesn’t live in reality. At this stage in real life, she wouldn’t be dressing or bathing herself, would have bathroom issues, might not be using silverware and could be wandering away. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Yes, and they should accepted what her husband had previously arranged for her.  They totally ignored his wishes.  The writers owe apologies to all caregivers of  people with dementia. caregivers don’t just live their lives like Zeke and Michaela are doing.  It’s a struggle to leave to go to the grocery store for 30 minutes.   Beverly is well into the dementia progression. She doesn’t live in reality. At this stage in real life, she wouldn’t be dressing or bathing herself, would have bathroom issues, might not be using silverware and could be wandering away. 

So true!  Having strangers who are not familiar with a situation and a senior’s medical condition circumvent a family member’s plans is insufferable.  There is so much misinformation out there about conditions like dementia. Why did they reinforce myths, such as all a person with dementia needs is someone to check in with them , hang out or live in the same house.  It’s much more than that.  It’s so disrespectful to real caregivers.  But, should I really expect much from this show?  😝

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

So true!  Having strangers who are not familiar with a situation and a senior’s medical condition circumvent a family member’s plans is insufferable.  There is so much misinformation out there about conditions like dementia. Why did they reinforce myths, such as all a person with dementia needs is someone to check in with them , hang out or live in the same house.  It’s much more than that.  It’s so disrespectful to real caregivers.  But, should I really expect much from this show?  😝

I just met someone the other day (I'm new to the neighborhood) who thinks they can leave their Alzheimer's relative home alone while they are at work. I figured they would find out soon enough that this is a temporary solution at best, and don't need or want a stranger they just met on the beach telling them otherwise. 

My point is: The presentation of Michaela and Zeke getting Beverly's situation all wrong is pretty realistic. 
The problem is: That situation needs to be on an entirely different show.

A show that succeeds (IMO, but mileage varies) in working in a secondary character with dementia is Coroner (wikipedia.org/wiki/Coroner_(TV_series),  cwtv.com/shows/coroner/fire/?play=008eb707-e51f-4e75-95d3-6db4f95e54b1) but it is a drama rather than a genre show, although it has some dream-like elements that almost border on the supernatural.

Another thing about Beverly is that they seemed to try to give her "magical/insightful" powers through her statements about Eden being Angelina's daughter and Jared being Michaela's husband.  She was not on the flight and does not have magical powers-her dementia/alzheimer's does not give her special insights and they should not portray a dementia victim in this way (IMO).  It downplays her very real (on a fictional t.v. show) condition while at the same time implying that those who suffer dementia/alzheimer's have insights that others do not and should be listened to.  The writers/producers also seem to portray dementia/alzheimer's as really no big deal as it is okay to leave those with this condition alone for extended periods of time.

• Love 1
On 6/11/2021 at 11:15 AM, natyxg said:

My favorite moment of the show is when Grace is racing through the airport parking lot or wherever, racing to see Ben and Cal after they came back. It was the emotional punch of the show that drew me in. Imagine someone who was dead coming back to you. Imagine basically going to bed one night and waking up and everything is different. Imagine being on the verge of marrying someone and when you land it turns out that the person is married to someone else, while your feelings for them are the same. Imagine getting off a plane and when you get down your wife has a new life with a new man and your daughter is a stranger. It was messy and emotional and interesting (or at least had the potential to be).

Very much this. For a minute there, they were exploring interesting aspects of grief and loss, such as whose loss was the greater -- those who returned to a different world, or those they left behind? The mourners, or those they mourned and then had to build a life without? These were questions well worth asking. I was struck by something Ben said, when the dialogue was somewhat less stilted and lazy, that had to do with him (finally) realizing how much Grace and Olive were giving up by letting go of Danny (poor Danny -- he and Zeke should hang out). Yes, of course, you dumbass -- the world, and your family, moved on. Because they had no other choice. But how often do we wish for the one who is gone, through separation of various kinds, to come back? The Manifest scenario is the living embodiment of be careful what you wish for. Interestingly, it's a scenario that a host of shows have played with in the last ten years or so.

I could tell early on they weren't up to the challenge, but THAT was a show I was totally on board for, with some spooky weirdness on the side. But they totally went the mystery box and God-stuff route. Which I am sure made the network executives happy, because there are few surer ways to draw people in than giving them a mystery to solve. NOT going that route is one of the things that made the wonderfully weird The Leftovers such a great show for me -- the focus was never on how or why two percent of the world's population disappeared, a mystery that was pointedly left unsolved. It was a story about how the leftovers dealt with the aftermath -- what, if anything, does this mean, and how do we fill the empty places?

• Love 3

I think I've about had it with Manifest - and yet I will keep on watching it to the very end (that is, what exists now).  I'm on the very last episode of Season3, and I can't imagine there being any full closure at this point.

In fact, I felt it was starting to get a little hokey with finding the 'ark' and throwing it down a fissure and now the tail fin of the plane needs to be thrown back into the water.  I like all the characters; and it IS interesting, but it's losing its flavor for me.

On 6/10/2021 at 8:08 PM, KaveDweller said:

That was kind of a crazy ending, now I want to see where they go with it. Is Grace really dead? Is Cal permanently aged up or was that some kind of vision? Did he spend five years somewhere, or did he just magically grow? But there is probably no plan. 

I am trying to remember what happened with the pilot. Did they have his dead body in the facility and it reanimated, or did he just appear in the plane before it disappeared? I sort of remember him and someone else flying off somewhere and the plane disappeared. Was that the guy we saw at the end before the plane disappeared?

I almost thought Angelina was going to kill baby Eden, and was shocked a show would do that.

Did we know Vance had young kids? He seems kind of old for a teenage son.

I was starting to get a little bit tired of the things that were happening (ie. the ark being thrown in the volcano fissure; and the tail fin needs to be dropped into the ocean where it came from???  I have NO idea what's happening, and yet I'm still watching this...only because it still is interesting - in a weird way.  Or, I just like the characters in this one and how it all plays back and wreaks havocs on everybody's lives.

I did NOT expect the finale to be as powerful as it was.  I have NO idea what it means; but when there is no season to follow up - there should be - becausse it's like they started at the beginning of something.....Cal coming back 5 years later????  And where is everyone else?  Are they alive?  Why was and who stabbed Grace?  There HAS to be another season - leaving us like this is cruel! :)  ... but I'd like to get some thought/idease on what's happened.  Why doesn't matter because I'm so sick of all these 'callings'.  No wonder why Jared is fed up with them.  I am too.

On 7/11/2021 at 7:03 PM, Moose135 said:

I feel the same way!!!  I've had it with Manifest - but I feel like I need to continue watching!  The last episode left me with - what just happened? and no what?

• Love 1
On 6/14/2021 at 5:41 PM, LaurelleJ said:

Does anyone have a problem with Zeke and Michaela getting together?  And - what happened to Jared's wife.  She left and doesn't come back?  Anyway, it seems that jared & Michaela were still very much in love.  Suddenly Zeke comes into the picture and she then loves him?  I like Zeke and he's a great catch but whatever happened to the love Michaela felt for Jared?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Trudilu said:

Does anyone have a problem with Zeke and Michaela getting together?  And - what happened to Jared's wife.  She left and doesn't come back?  Anyway, it seems that jared & Michaela were still very much in love.  Suddenly Zeke comes into the picture and she then loves him?  I like Zeke and he's a great catch but whatever happened to the love Michaela felt for Jared?

Yeah, that’s how I saw it. For instance, in one of the last episodes they had Michaela talking to Jared while Zeke was watching with his ESP turned on, and the camera was tight on Zeke’s face as the actor conveyed —well, something   —presumably that Zeke’s psychic powers let him see the hearts above Michaela’s and Jared’s heads. 

On 6/12/2021 at 9:09 PM, icemiser69 said:

As soon as Angelina blocked the door, why didn't Olive remove the ankle bracelet?   That should have brought the cops in a heart beat.  I guess she isn't as smart as she thinks she is.

To be fair (even though I didn't like Olive most of the time), most people wouldn't think clearly enough in a moment of panic to come up with that idea. She may have even forgotten about the ankle bracelet in the moment. But what I find less believable is why she didn't call 911 when she realized she was locked in her room and her mother was in trouble--I'm sure a teenage girl would have her phone with her at all times, and calling 911 in an emergency is something even kids are taught. For that matter, why didn't older Cal call 911 to get help for his mother? I know that would have distracted from the emotional climax but it still bugs me. Maybe he couldn't call because he wasn't really physically there (in our dimension or universe)? Unfortunately, we'll never know.

On 8/6/2021 at 12:43 AM, Paloma said:

To be fair (even though I didn't like Olive most of the time), most people wouldn't think clearly enough in a moment of panic to come up with that idea. She may have even forgotten about the ankle bracelet in the moment. But what I find less believable is why she didn't call 911 when she realized she was locked in her room and her mother was in trouble--I'm sure a teenage girl would have her phone with her at all times, and calling 911 in an emergency is something even kids are taught. For that matter, why didn't older Cal call 911 to get help for his mother? I know that would have distracted from the emotional climax but it still bugs me. Maybe he couldn't call because he wasn't really physically there (in our dimension or universe)? Unfortunately, we'll never know.

I am guessing adult Cal didn't call because he is now all-knowing or from the future and knew that his mother dying in that moment was the way things had to be.

I think Olive didn't call 911 for the same reason she didn't think to take off the ankle bracelet. She panicked and was just focused on opening the door. And maybe she eventually did call after the episode ended, but I guess we'll never know.

• Love 1

I've binged this series over the past couple of months and just finished watching the last two episodes. The show runners sure hit us with a lot in those last few minutes, didn't they?

I'm not expecting to find anything believable about how the show eventually explains what happened to 828, I just don't want to be bored, and they've made me curious enough to follow this through to the end. I certainly wouldn't watch 42 entire hours of television that I've hated from the beginning and then spend even more time online complaining about it.

I'm glad Saanvi has her Callings back, and it's been good this season to see her, Ben, and Michaela together again.

I seem to be in the minority in liking young Jesus Cal, so if he's really not back next season I'll miss him.

I can't say I'll miss Grace, but I had at least mostly stopped hating her after she finally cut out the bullshit in season one (...mostly).

I am not looking forward to the stupid love triangle that's apparently coming. Does anyone like those except for the people who write them? And while the actor who plays Jared is hot, there is nothing attractive about a man who can't handle it when a woman doesn't do what he thinks she should be doing. I'd thought we were done with the creepy controlling ex-boyfriend behavior when Jared's undercover X-er stint was over, but here we are again, or will be. Ugh.

Angelina is quite the psycho, and it feels like it came out of nowhere. Maybe they really liked the actress and wanted to keep her around after her storyline with Pete was over, and made this up? I'm curious as to why they didn't show her actually stabbing Grace. I briefly wondered if that was deliberate and maybe someone else that I can't think of was hiding in the house and killed her,  but it's probably more so they could have that slow-mo camera pan into the room and the aged-up Cal reveal.

If Captain Daly showed up and then disappeared again almost immediately (and what was up with that?), then where was Dr. Fiona? And when does Ben save younger Cal in the ocean, and also what's up with the Calling of Angelina, Ben, Michaela, and young Cal all glowy and screaming together?  

Josh Dallas has nice curls.

On 2/1/2022 at 9:24 AM, Aryanna said:

I have not watched any season 3 and really don't remember what happened in season 2. Have I missed anything worthwhile? Have there been any answers to anything? 

You can always google "Manifest (T.V. Series) Wikipedia" and get a brief description of each Season’s episodes--through Season 3.  That’s what I do to refresh my memory before a new season starts, although I may miss out on the proposed Season 4/Final Season, as it is set to “probably” air on Netflix, which I don’t subscribe to.   

On 7/12/2021 at 10:39 PM, Trudilu said:

Not really. I like them together. I think it was a bit rushed them getting together, but I thought Jared was a dick to Michaela when she returned. He would not give her time to process.  Jared pushed Michaela to talk to his wife even though to Michaela it had to feel like she was finding out that her boyfriend was cheating on her with her best friend, he brought his wife to the station where Michaela had to interact with her, pushed Michaela to hang out with him and his wife, assigned himself as her partner, constantly was in her business, Michaela asked him to give her time he did not, kept telling her this was their second chance. After they slept together Michaela said it was a mistake Jared dismissed her feelings. When Michaela started dating Zeke he kept following Zeke and trying to get dirt on him. He even arrented Zeke because he was sure that he was shady and he was just looking out for Michaela.

I felt Jared was that creepy Ex that wouldn't let the girl move on. I do not find him and Michaela a great love story, but I am sure I am supposed to

• Love 1