Type keyword(s) to search

Becoming Elizabeth In The Media

• Start Topic

(edited)

Starz will be dropping all 8 episodes in three days.  Amazon Video offers a 7-day free trial for Starz that I'll be taking advantage of.  I was hoping that they'd stream all 8 episodes but I don't think that's correct.

Edited by Razzberry
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, Razzberry said:

Starz will be dropping all 8 episodes in three days.  Amazon Video offers a 7-day free trial for Starz that I'll be taking advantage of.  It requires a lot of binging, but I really want to see this.

Ugh, I hate when they do that. I like the weekly discussions around the water cooler. You get more people talking here if we’re all watching weekly. But these are the times now. (God I feel old.) 😄

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I can't remember where I read that, but when I went to sign up for the Starz trial it says nothing about it, only that the premier episode will be Jun. 12th.   I'm with you, and don't really enjoy binging.  Now we just need episode threads!

• Like 1
On 6/10/2022 at 12:07 AM, Razzberry said:

I can't remember where I read that, but when I went to sign up for the Starz trial it says nothing about it, only that the premier episode will be Jun. 12th.   I'm with you, and don't really enjoy binging.  Now we just need episode threads!

I don’t think we will get episode threads given other Starz historical dramas haven’t gotten them. 

I will be a week behind you all because I have plans Sunday evening and I promised my Mom we could watch it during our Sunday tv time. 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Bill1978 said:

There is a good chance I will see this series out unlike The Spanish Princess.

I loved The White Queen but The Spanish Princess was crap. Were these both made by the same people?

This one is off to a good start. 

Edited by jenn31
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, goldilocks said:

Er... “Becoming Elizabeth

Oh I get the concept of the series I just wish they didn't feel like they had to make Elizabeth the focus of the series. You know call it something like The Children of Henry or The Tudor Heirs because I really do think its time we explored the reigns of Edward and Mary in more depth without Elizabeth being the main influence on the plot.

1 hour ago, jenn31 said:

Were these both made by the same people?

Not 100% sure, just know it's the same network. I do know The White Queen had a British network involved and they weren't involved in White Princess or Spanish Princess. And at the time pretty sure Starz views this series as a sequel to Spanish Princess but not relying on the works of Philippa Gregory.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

And I admit I'm disappointed that overall they felt they couldn't make Edward the real subject of the series considering he is the ruler, and instead we get a whole lot of puppy dogged eyed Elizabeth moments. But as I've said previously, it's probably cause I'm bored of TV and film thinking the Tudors is either Henry VIII or Elizabeth. I would love to see Edwaard, Jane and Mary really get to shine without having to be framed around Elizabeth as the main character.

I really agree with the bolded. But I understand why they wouldn’t center a series about Edward- he is still a child. Centering period pieces around child characters is hard, and there’s no sex/romance plots. Remember how they aged up Henry VIII in the first season of The Spanish Princess because having Catherine make sex eyes at a 10yrs old just wouldn’t do. So instead of Henry/Arthur being 5yrs a part (as they were in real life), they were about a year. 

8 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

Not 100% sure, just know it's the same network. I do know The White Queen had a British network involved and they weren't involved in White Princess or Spanish Princess. And at the time pretty sure Starz views this series as a sequel to Spanish Princess but not relying on the works of Philippa Gregory.

For The White Princess and The Spanish Princess, BBC One wasn’t involved, but I think Starz is committing to more historical dramas (after The Spanish Princess did well), they would do well to market these as an anthology. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ferjy said:

There is a program called “Edward and Mary: The Unknown Tudors” on Acorn TV (through Amazon) but it’s one of those re-enacted documentaries. Maybe I’ll give it a watch now that my interest is peaked. 

I have seen that one. It’s pretty good. David Starkey isn’t my favorite historian for a variety of reasons but I liked that program. 

12 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

I think we will, but fun fact: one of the things that drove Edward crazy about Mary was that she loved dancing and wearing bright colors, which was appropriate to her Catholic beliefs. The new protestant movement was very much about dressing dourly and not being too merry, so very much not how Mary was acting.

Mary seems to always be portrayed as austere and dull. She was still her father's daughter! 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Oh yeah, and for all the "Bloody Mary" stuff, all reports say that she was incredibly kind, very sweet, and loved children to the point of being the Godmother of I think it was dozens? Future spoilers:

Spoiler

Her hatred of Elizabeth was definitely not a life-long thing and seems mostly to appear during her reign because Elizabeth was genuinely making her nervous. A sizable amount of the country was openly calling for Elizabeth to take the throne, Mary kept not producing an heir (which some historians think is why she burned all those Protestants - trying to curry God's favor), and Philip started giving Elizabeth the eye, especially when it became clear Mary was becoming terminal.

Oh and a really specific thing: she never hated Jane Grey. She picked up super quickly on the fact that Jane had been used as a pawn by the men around her, and she never intended or wanted to execute her. It was a demand Philip made combined with Jane's father leading an insurrection in her name. After Jane was executed Mary immediately took the rest of her family under her protection, being very kind to her mother and sisters. Elizabeth on the other hand...well, if you ever look up what she did to Katherine Grey and later Mary Grey? Elizabeth had nowhere near the kind of tender soul Mary had. Which arguably is what made her a much better queen. 

If she hadn't gone after the Protestants, Bloody Mary would probably have been remembered as Sweet Mary.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, PinkRibbons said:

Oh yeah, and for all the "Bloody Mary" stuff, all reports say that she was incredibly kind, very sweet, and loved children to the point of being the Godmother of I think it was dozens? Future spoilers:

Hide contents

Her hatred of Elizabeth was definitely not a life-long thing and seems mostly to appear during her reign because Elizabeth was genuinely making her nervous. A sizable amount of the country was openly calling for Elizabeth to take the throne, Mary kept not producing an heir (which some historians think is why she burned all those Protestants - trying to curry God's favor), and Philip started giving Elizabeth the eye, especially when it became clear Mary was becoming terminal.

Oh and a really specific thing: she never hated Jane Grey. She picked up super quickly on the fact that Jane had been used as a pawn by the men around her, and she never intended or wanted to execute her. It was a demand Philip made combined with Jane's father leading an insurrection in her name. After Jane was executed Mary immediately took the rest of her family under her protection, being very kind to her mother and sisters. Elizabeth on the other hand...well, if you ever look up what she did to Katherine Grey and later Mary Grey? Elizabeth had nowhere near the kind of tender soul Mary had. Which arguably is what made her a much better queen. 

If she hadn't gone after the Protestants, Bloody Mary would probably have been remembered as Sweet Mary.

Thank you. I agree with many things you bring up. Mary did love children. There was a book, fictional of course, that I had read. This was during the time of Mary's phantom pregnancies... Elizabeth sees her with a small cradle looking so sad and can only think how Mary would have been happy surrounded by children even if she were a milk maid (or something similar). I always thought it was a shame she never had the chance to marry and have children--- and I like Elizabeth I! 

• Love 6
40 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Thank you. I agree with many things you bring up. Mary did love children. There was a book, fictional of course, that I had read. This was during the time of Mary's phantom pregnancies... Elizabeth sees her with a small cradle looking so sad and can only think how Mary would have been happy surrounded by children even if she were a milk maid (or something similar). I always thought it was a shame she never had the chance to marry and have children--- and I like Elizabeth I! 

All this. I have a lot of sympathy for Mary. Henry was such a bastard to her and her mother—yes, you can’t always blame the parents, but in this case, you can and you should. Henry blew up the whole church and declared her a bastard so he could have what he wanted, and in the end it was all for nothing. If he hadn’t been so obsessed with getting a son and used Mary (and Elizabeth) for political pawns, she would have been a lot better off. And by the time 

Spoiler

she did become queen and finally got married, Philip treated her like crap.

Oh, Catherine Parr. You don’t know it yet, but you got stuck with another loser.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

All this. I have a lot of sympathy for Mary. Henry was such a bastard to her and her mother—yes, you can’t always blame the parents, but in this case, you can and you should. Henry blew up the whole church and declared her a bastard so he could have what he wanted, and in the end it was all for nothing. If he hadn’t been so obsessed with getting a son and used Mary (and Elizabeth) for political pawns, she would have been a lot better off. And by the time 

Hide contents

she did become queen and finally got married, Philip treated her like crap.

Oh, Catherine Parr. You don’t know it yet, but you got stuck with another loser.

I always felt bad for her too. She finally got to marry the man she was really into and he was a jerk. 

• Love 4

Any word on the length of the timeframe this series covers? Does it only cover Edward's reign, or does it continue into Mary's? The only indication I see of the latter is the inclusion of Stephen Gardiner as a character. Given how he spent most of Edward"s reign in the tower, I don't see why he would be included without crossing into Mary's reign.

I used to have no sympathy for Mary. All I ever heard was the burnings, executing Jane and in movies or books she's usually terrible. The first book that changed my mind was a fictional one Mary, Bloody Mary by Carolyn Meyer which covered her happy life with her parents' following the blow up of her parents' marriage. How horrible Henry was to her and Anne too. It followed until after Anne's death when she had to sign the document declaring herself a bastard. She went through so much. It was horrible. After started reading biographies on her. Except for the burning of Protestants she wasn't bad at all. She was put through a lot by Henry who was an ass. That was after years of him being a great father to her. I was surprised that she immediate execute Jane for usurping throne. Jane was forced into it by her father and Mary knew that. If not for Phillip and Jane's idiot father Jane never would have been executed. Another surprise was that Mary and Elizabeth had been close up until Mary's reign. Mary's usually a villain in any book Elizabeth I book or movie. Given how much older Mary was and what happened with their mothers it really wasn't that hard to believe that they hated each other. They didn't. It's sad that was lost.  But that makes sense. Mary was raised a Catholic and Elizabeth was raised Protestant. As long as neither were Queen it wouldn't make a difference. I feel sad for Mary finally got married which was something she wanted for a long time and it didn't go well. She didn't end up with children. She had to go through the humiliation of phantom pregnancies. Mary could never catch a break. I really wish things had turned out different for Mary. 

• Love 7

Just a quick thank you to whomever mentioned The Six Wives of Henry VIII in an earlier post.  I'm very interested in this period of history and I can't get enough of it.  I looked it up, subscribed to BritBox and all day I've been down the rabbit hole that is Henry.  I'm up to Anne of Cleve.  I am actually enjoying the fact that it was filmed in 1970 and it's very play-like.

Anyway Keith Michell is exactly the way I'd picture Henry.  What an excellent job.

• Love 5
(edited)
56 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

Just a quick thank you to whomever mentioned The Six Wives of Henry VIII in an earlier post.  I'm very interested in this period of history and I can't get enough of it.  I looked it up, subscribed to BritBox and all day I've been down the rabbit hole that is Henry.  I'm up to Anne of Cleve.  I am actually enjoying the fact that it was filmed in 1970 and it's very play-like.

Anyway Keith Michell is exactly the way I'd picture Henry.  What an excellent job.

Keith Mitchell is excellent.  Watch Elizabeth R with Glenda Jackson... that is just as good. She is amazing. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Keith Mitchell is excellent.  Watch Elizabeth R with Glenda Jackson... that is just as good. She is amazing. 

Is that on Britbox too?

(edited)
On 6/12/2022 at 5:53 AM, Bill1978 said:

Oh I get the concept of the series I just wish they didn't feel like they had to make Elizabeth the focus of the series. You know call it something like The Children of Henry or The Tudor Heirs because I really do think its time we explored the reigns of Edward and Mary in more depth without Elizabeth being the main influence on the plot.

💯 agree. I’ve always felt that it would be great to get a show just focusing on Edward or Mary. While Becoming Elizabeth  is an interesting twist on the usual, Elizabeth in general  had been done to death.

Edited by t7686
  • Love 5

I think the reason the creators choose to focus on Elizabeth again is because she, and Henry VIII for that matter , are easier sells. Others have already laid out the problem with Edward being a child, and Mary would also be a problematic protaganist. I was actually thinking they could have gone with a non royal focal point here, as they're haven't been too many series told from that pov. It would likely have to be someone who would cover the whole time frame involved, and if this also covers Mary's reign, I had two candidates come to mind. The first would be William Cecil, who served under both Somerset and Dudley, and may have surreptitiously worked against the latter's attempt to put Jane Grey on the throne. The one drawback is he would offer a rather external perspective on Mary's reign. He's also largely associated with Elizabeth in the historical mind. The other would be William Paget, who advised Henry VIII in his last years, befriended Somerset but survived his fall, and made himself invaluable to both Dudley and Mary. He would also offer a logical terminal point, as his goose was cooked when Elizabeth came to the throne, even though he was one of the most vociferous voices against any trial or execution of Elizabeth when she was suspected of complicity in Thomas Wyatt's rebellion. Apparently too many people close to Elizabeth didn't trust him.

• Love 1
On 6/12/2022 at 10:40 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I have seen that one. It’s pretty good. David Starkey isn’t my favorite historian for a variety of reasons but I liked that program. 

I had to search for this post, it was moved from the episode thread. Thought I was losing it! I knew I had seen the post. 😄

I’m now watching “England’s Forgotten Queen: The Life and Death of Lady Jane Grey”. Very informative. They’ve pieced together her time after Henry’s death until her beheading.  It’s good, if you can get by the bad re-enactment scenes. 😄 It’s on Amazon Prime (in Canada, at least).

• Love 3
On 8/4/2022 at 11:54 AM, Razzberry said:

Not from the Starz series, but I didn't know where else to post it.

I saw this one a while ago. It’s good as well. 

Do you think we will get a season 2?

Considering we got The White Queen, its sequel The White Princess, and two seasons of The Spanish Princess, I would think the odds of another season are pretty good. 

We have The Serpent Queen coming next month, so it seems Starz is invested in historical dramas. 

I would hope we could get the next season next June.

FX!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

Considering we got The White Queen, it's sequel The White Princess, and two seasons of The Spanish Princess, I would think the odds of another season are pretty good. 

We have The Serpent Queen coming next month, so it seems Starz is invested in historical dramas. 

I would hope we could get the next season next June.

FX!

I am glad they are putting them so close together. It was FOUR YEARS between The White Queen and The White Princess.

How come we never get any good dramas about The Restoration? I mean, Charles II was such a HO, the sex scenes alone could sell the thing! Add in drama between Mary/Anne Stuart and their Dad James II........why is this not a thing?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It seems like they ended it before Elizabeth really became the Elizabeth we're familiar with, so I take that as a good sign it will have a season 2.  I just hope we don't have to wait a long time!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I am glad they are putting them so close together. It was FOUR YEARS between The White Queen and The White Princess.

How come we never get any good dramas about The Restoration? I mean, Charles II was such a HO, the sex scenes alone could sell the thing! Add in drama between Mary/Anne Stuart and their Dad James II........why is this not a thing?

At least we had the fabulous Charles II series with Rufus Sewell and the late wonderful Helen McCrory. I want to know why we have never seen Henry V, his death, and his widow taking up with Owen Tudor on screen. I'd watch the heck out of that!

The Serpent Queen trailer was different to say the least. Will watch that one. Have a soft spot for Catherine going back to my Jean Plaidy books. Always thought Diane De Poitiers was a huge bitch

• Love 4
1 hour ago, brisbydog said:

At least we had the fabulous Charles II series with Rufus Sewell and the late wonderful Helen McCrory. I want to know why we have never seen Henry V, his death, and his widow taking up with Owen Tudor on screen. I'd watch the heck out of that!

The Serpent Queen trailer was different to say the least. Will watch that one. Have a soft spot for Catherine going back to my Jean Plaidy books. Always thought Diane De Poitiers was a huge bitch

(bolding mine) This I have not seen! Off to google!

I think the style of The Serpent Queen is different, more campy/snarky than high drama, but Samantha Morton is a treasure. I loved her in Harlots. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, brisbydog said:

giphy.gif

You had me at Rufus Sewell.

Because...duh.

tumblr_pdf4cnoXTS1tavshmo1_400.gifv

I have no doubt The Serpent Queen and Samantha will slay but I have to admit, I loved the hell out of Meghan Follows as Catherine in Reign.

catherine-reign.gif

• Fire 2
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

It says I can’t watch it in the states!

I just subscribed to the 7 day free trial of Britbox and started the first episode. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

giphy.gif

You had me at Rufus Sewell.

Because...duh.

tumblr_pdf4cnoXTS1tavshmo1_400.gifv

I have no doubt The Serpent Queen and Samantha will slay but I have to admit, I loved the hell out of Meghan Follows as Catherine in Reign.

catherine-reign.gif

Because your awesome Catherine. No one takes care of business like you. Happy to see Rufus is still hot.

• Love 2
On 8/9/2022 at 2:42 AM, Scarlett45 said:

I think it's time for a series about the Stuarts. When you look at them just on paper their dynasty reads like a wonderful soap opera. From James I all the way through to Anne you have bisexuality, a king who wasn't meant to be king, the removal of the monarchy, the period of no fun allowed (or as TV would frame it 'No sex allowed'), the restoration with a womanizing king, the terror of a Catholic king and a possible changeling heir, then the daughter and son-in-law overthrowing dad and finally ending with the Queen who had a billion babies but none who inherit the throne and a touch of lesbianism. Honestly The Stuarts are ripe for television and dare I say a tad more interesting then The Tudors - even though I love the Tudor dynasty. I've never understood why they haven't been tackled seriously as a subject by television or movies.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

I think it's time for a series about the Stuarts. When you look at them just on paper their dynasty reads like a wonderful soap opera. From James I all the way through to Anne you have bisexuality, a king who wasn't meant to be king, the removal of the monarchy, the period of no fun allowed (or as TV would frame it 'No sex allowed'), the restoration with a womanizing king, the terror of a Catholic king and a possible changeling heir, then the daughter and son-in-law overthrowing dad and finally ending with the Queen who had a billion babies but none who inherit the throne and a touch of lesbianism. Honestly The Stuarts are ripe for television and dare I say a tad more interesting then The Tudors - even though I love the Tudor dynasty. I've never understood why they haven't been tackled seriously as a subject by television or movies.

I agree! We did get The Favorite which I enjoyed a lot. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

I completely agree! The Stuarts really were just like a soap opera. Plenty of war, murder, affairs, and other good stuff to fill a few seasons. I first got into the Stuarts after reading a bio on Margaret Tudor who married James IV. He had tons of illegitimate kids, a role in daddy's death, and died fighting England. Went on to read up on the others. From first to last the Stuarts are so not boring. Although you will often wish they made smarter decisions at times (James V, maybe don't go to war with England because your daddy did the same thing and died.). That really seems to be a family trait. Maybe that's where Mary got all her bad decision making from. Or may a trait of being a Scottish royal family (Alexander III maybe don't race off during a storm to get home to your wife?). 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

The Stuart clan would be awesome.  Also, although Lady Margaret Beaufort is often cast as support, she really deserves her own series.  To me Harriet Walter was the best thing about The Spanish Princess. 

spanishprincess.jpg.e32d3c256847645cd980c2402546e18a.jpg

• Love 2
On 8/8/2022 at 3:36 PM, brisbydog said:

I love the Jean Plaidy books! I always wanted to read straight through from the William the Conqueror series to her Victoria books, and thus learn "everything" about British history. Oh well - there's still time, I guess!

I wish we'd see more about the Plantagenets in addition to the Stuarts. I appreciated the White Queen series because it was (finally) a pre-Tudor show. (Of course, we eventually ended up there anyway.) Maybe someone will eventually dramatize the John of Gaunt/Katherine Swynford relationship (as in Anya Seton's famous book "Katherine") and how that period led to dynasty's split and the Wars of the Roses (and Margaret Beaufort herself).

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

Maybe someone will eventually dramatize the John of Gaunt/Katherine Swynford relationship (as in Anya Seton's famous book "Katherine") and how that period led to dynasty's split and the Wars of the Roses (and Margaret Beaufort herself).

Thanks for mentioning that book.  I just found it's free with Prime so downloaded it from Amazon.  Sounds terrific.

https://www.amazon.com/Katherine-Anya-Seton-ebook/dp/B008454XNS/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=Anya+Seton'&qid=1660159199&s=digital-text&sr=1-5

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm going to have to read more about the Stuarts.  (Any recommendations?)  I generally prefer biographies about the royal women but I may have to expand my interests in this case.  I did recently read a bio about Margaret Stuart that had a lot of info about her perilous relationship with her cousin Elizabeth.

Alison Weir has a fantastic series (nonfiction) about every queen from Maud on.  (Queens of the Conquest, Queens of the Crusades.  The third, Queens of Chivalry, has been pushed back to Dec, dang it.)  I don't know if she'll get as far as Elizabeth but it's interesting to learn about the lesser known queens.

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 8/4/2022 at 12:54 PM, Razzberry said:

Not from the Starz series, but I didn't know where else to post it.

Oh thanks. I have to watch that one. As an aside...that YouTube channel takes content from other series and renames them. This video is actually taken from a series called "A Tale of Two Sisters. This episode was called "Elizabeth I and Mary I" (Season 2 Episode 3). 

There are a lot of other good videos on that YT channel. I got interested in a few about the Boleyn family. I might watch this one about Amy Robsart which was originally "The Virgin Queen's Fatal Affair" from 2013.

Edited by ferjy
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

I wanted to share the below link to an article from the show creator, Anya Reiss.

https://decider.com/2022/08/07/becoming-elizabeth-starz-ending-explained/

I am going to take these quotes as encouraging signs:

"However, Reiss did admit that she definitely plotted the Becoming Elizabeth Season 1 finale to 'hopefully springboard into another season.'”

"Lady Jane Grey isn’t the only historical character Reiss is hoping to explore in potential future seasons of the show."

“'I can’t wait for William Cecil. There’s a few actually,'” Reiss said, also name-dropping Frances Brandon, Henry Grey’s wife (and, added by me, the daughter of Henry VIII's youngest sister, Mary Tudor, and bestie, Charles Brandon).

"Reiss wouldn’t reveal how many seasons she’d ideally like the show to run, but she did say, “'I think there is some story at the very start of her reign that is under-explored…I think there’s also a lot of Mary story, so we wouldn’t like to sell that short. And Edward’s not even dead.'”

Kimmy Schmidt Good Luck GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

• Love 4