Type keyword(s) to search

Becoming Elizabeth In The Media

• Start Topic

Not that the show was terrible by a long shot, but perhaps the low ratings is a sign of Tudor fatigue or at least fatigue with Henry VIII and/or Elizabeth I. 

I still maintain that this show would have been better having Elizabeth as a side character and focusing on Edward VI reign, leading into Jane and then Mary I, with Elizabeth slowly going from a secondary character to a major character (assuming the show would get multiple seasons).

I admit I didn't finish the series because I got bored of everything being framed around Elizabeth. Yes she is well known and a complex character but there is more to that historical period than poor little orphan Elizabeth.

And if the audience truly needs a break from the Tudors, I say it;s time to roll out the soap opera that is The Stuarts.

• Love 2

Oh.  Darn it.  Yeah, Elizabeth was not the most compelling character (I get that the concept was her growth), but I did enjoy the performances of everyone.  Well, shoot.

Yeah, the Stuarts would be fun.

• Love 3

So sad!  The writing and depiction of these characters was spot on and so good!  Next season with Edwards death, Jane Grey's rein and the rise of Mary would have been amazing. Elizabeth's actress was the weakest link, though.  At least the final Wolf Hall series is coming eventually.

Edited by Glade
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, Glade said:

So sad!  The writing and depiction of these characters was spot on and so good!  Next season with Edwards death, Jane Grey's rein and the rise of Mary would have been amazing. Elizabeth's actress was the weakest link, though.  At least the final Wolf Hall series is coming eventually.

It really would have been.

• Love 2
On 10/19/2022 at 2:16 PM, CountryGirl said:

Well, that is disappointing, as I was looking forward to seeing Lady Jane Grey and her short reign as well as Mary's reign. 

On 11/1/2022 at 9:35 PM, Glade said:

Well that’s a great disappointment. Agree with both of the above. I was looking forward to more, it was just getting good! Why do they keep renewing crap and cancelling the interesting shows? 😟

• Love 3

FYI, AMC is doing a series on the 1st Duke of Buckingham (paramour to James I) and his Mom, Mary Villers. There is a forum here. I hope to see my fellow historical drama fiction lovers over there, especially when it gets started (pre-production now).

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
On 12/8/2022 at 8:17 PM, Scarlett45 said:

FYI, AMC is doing a series on the 1st Duke of Buckingham (paramour to James I) and his Mom, Mary Villers. There is a forum here. I hope to see my fellow historical drama fiction lovers over there, especially when it gets started (pre-production now).

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll be there. Hope our usual crowd follows. 

• Like 1