Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10 Motherless

• Start Topic

Catherine Martin escapes to Carneys Point, N.J., to confront Buffalo Bill's mother, Lila Gumb. When Ruth recruits Krendler and ViCAP to track her down, Clarice volunteers to be the one to find Catherine before she commits a vile act and becomes a monster herself. Also, Julia continues to assist the ViCAP team's investigation despite the huge personal risk.

Where are they going with Papa Starling? Nowhere good, I fear.

Hopefully this is the end of the story for Catherine Martin. (For us, anyway.)

• Love 4

Hm. Interesting note to end on.

Woo, that was intense. Clarice was right to turn Catherine in-and I like that she wants to see to it she finally gets more of the help she hasn't really had thus far. 

Liked the scenes with Ruth as well-Jayne Atkinson was great here. Pretty good episode, this :).

• Love 9
(edited)

That certainly got intense, not the note I expected to end the season on. I don't know what was really going on with Papa Starling, but I cant imagine it was anything good. 

Catherine was so strong in the movie, its sad to see her reduced to such a mess. I can understand that she was seriously traumatized, and maybe sitting on it just made it worse, but its sad. I am glad that Clarice turned her in, even against Ruth's wishes. Hopefully this means Catherine will finally get professional help, her just hiding in her moms apartment wasn't doing her any good. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7

Clarice:  "Don't send in a SWAT team.  They have only one purpose.  Let me talk to her"  So she goes in by herself yet again, draws her pistol, and tells Catherine "Don't make me kill you."

The ending was, wow.  Was Clarice trafficked by her father?  The comment from the agent earlier in the episode was an omen, I'll bet.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

The ending was, wow.  Was Clarice trafficked by her father?  The comment from the agent earlier in the episode was an omen, I'll bet.

I think her Dad was probably buying drugs or gambling.  

• Love 5
(edited)

There are two episodes left.  This show is too depressing for 2021.   I never watched the movie it’s based on. I am not interested in Buffalo Bill, Katherine, the attorney General, any of the various storylines. In fact, I don’t think I am going to watch it anymore. 

Edited by mythoughtis
1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

There are two episodes left.  This show is too depressing for 2021.   I never watched the movie it’s based on. I am not interested in Buffalo Bill, Katherine, the attorney General, any of the various storylines. In fact, I don’t think I am going to watch it anymore. 

You never watched Silence of the Lambs? Curiosity didn’t grab you?? There’s so much tie in to that movie in this series I’m stunned you weren’t even curious?! 

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, BellyLaughter said:

You never watched Silence of the Lambs? Curiosity didn’t grab you?? There’s so much tie in to that movie in this series I’m stunned you weren’t even curious?! 

I can’t even imagine anyone wanting to watch this show if they hadn’t already seen Silence of the Lambs.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
33 minutes ago, BellyLaughter said:

The concept scared me to death.   Criminal Minds has more than enough horror for me 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

That wasn’t the finale, at the end it said “Stay tunes for scenes from our next episode.”

Ugh, I hate that they are trashing Clarice’s backstory by implying that her father did something sexual to her. That is such bullshit. I can’t stand how they on the one hand slavishly recreate scenes from the movie in extreme detail and then completely shit on other parts by ruining everything about Clarice’s character.  

• Love 8

Glad the Catherine situation is done. I can’t believe she never got the help she needed! Her mother was a senator and then the DOJ AG! Is Ruth that vain to lock her up and try to deal with the girls trauma? I’m glad she’ll hopefully get the real help she needs. And we can all move on from her!

As for Clarice, that ending memory! I was hoping it wasn’t going to go the icky way these plots turn out ie molestation which thankfully it didn’t seem so.  My theory is that she saw her father get murdered and it so traumatized her she changed the memory to blame her mom or something like that. 

20 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

That wasn’t the finale, at the end it said “Stay tunes for scenes from our next episode.”

Ugh, I hate that they are trashing Clarice’s backstory by implying that her father did something sexual to her. That is such bullshit. I can’t stand how they on the one hand slavishly recreate scenes from the movie in extreme detail and then completely shit on other parts by ruining everything about Clarice’s character.  

I really hope that isn’t the implication, that her father did that and she’s blocked it . I still think it has to do with his murder and her mother blames her for it. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I hate that they are trashing Clarice’s backstory by implying that her father did something sexual to her.

All men are evil. If the movie didn't make that perfectly clear, then this show (like so many others) will redouble efforts to drive the point home.

12 hours ago, rtms77 said:

Glad the Catherine situation is done.

I hope you aren't holding your breath.....

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Netfoot said:

All men are evil. If the movie didn't make that perfectly clear, then this show (like so many others) will redouble efforts to drive the point home.

I hope you aren't holding your breath.....

There are plenty of good men in this show. I don’t think the message is that “all” men are evil.

• Like 1
  • Love 9
On 6/4/2021 at 4:10 PM, tennisgurl said:

That certainly got intense, not the note I expected to end the season on. I don't know what was really going on with Papa Starling, but I cant imagine it was anything good. 

Catherine was so strong in the movie, its sad to see her reduced to such a mess. I can understand that she was seriously traumatized, and maybe sitting on it just made it worse, but its sad. I am glad that Clarice turned her in, even against Ruth's wishes. Hopefully this means Catherine will finally get professional help, her just hiding in her moms apartment wasn't doing her any good. 

A pretty good season finale, the show was uneven but it had a lot of highlights. 

Not just yet. There are actually 13 episodes this season. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 6/4/2021 at 9:07 PM, mythoughtis said:

The concept scared me to death.   Criminal Minds has more than enough horror for me 

Whatever you do, do not watch the series “Hannibal.” IMO one of the most brilliant shows ever on TV, but truly disturbing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 6/5/2021 at 11:39 AM, Cinnabon said:

There are plenty of good men in this show. I don’t think the message is that “all” men are evil.

I agree. It can only be seen that way if a person goes into it already believing that. There are a bunch of good, decent men on this show. I think they've balanced showing both men and women can screw things up. Look at Catherine's mom. 

• Love 8

Oh, my frickin’ loo. 
This episode riveted me.

The Lila Gumb exposition was sooo disturbing. I really empathized.

I’m relieved she chose to lie low, as opposed to dying by suicide, so that she could provide information to Catherine.

I would love for one of you with a psychology background to suggest theories. Nature vs. Nurture. Jame Gumb’s toddlerhood was traumatic. Did the grandparents fail him? Will we learn that the grandparents told him constantly that they wished he were a girl?

• Love 5
8 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Oh, my frickin’ loo. 
This episode riveted me.

The Lila Gumb exposition was sooo disturbing. I really empathized.

I’m relieved she chose to lie low, as opposed to dying by suicide, so that she could provide information to Catherine.

I would love for one of you with a psychology background to suggest theories. Nature vs. Nurture. Jame Gumb’s toddlerhood was traumatic. Did the grandparents fail him? Will we learn that the grandparents told him constantly that they wished he were a girl?

I would also love to know the whole backstory, but I don’t think we’re going to get any more of it.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/4/2021 at 5:32 PM, BellyLaughter said:

I have also never seen the movie and not planning to watch. 

That’s probably why I’m not that interested in this storyline either. 

Edited by TimetoShine