Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Superhero

ESS
  • Start Topic

Rebel and a group of residents take a stand to fight for clean water. Meanwhile, Cassidy's new role puts the Stonemore case in jeopardy, and Grady grows frustrated when Rebel remains consumed with her work; and Cruz reaches his breaking point.

Airing April 22nd

Edited by ESS
(edited)

Wow what an episode!

Rebel & Lana!! Myteam I continue to love these two as a team. 

Poor Jackie, but I'm so glad they worked it out with the landlord, though he was such a jerk, so funny when Rebel sprayed him with hose he deserved it. FYI: Sarah sounds like her mother I was very surprised by that because I've never heard her speak before now.

Misha & Nate still not sold on them and I can't believe they had sex in the office, but at least the door was locked so no one could walk in on them. 

Cassidy, she's no better than her father to me, but I think Benji just wasn't thinking and he made a mistake especially after Lana had that talk with him and I really hope he takes her advice because I still like Benji, but he did not handle that right with Cassidy by using her like that, but then he is a lawyer and they are sneaky a lot of the times so it makes sense, but that's no excuse for what he did to his own kid. I really hope they can work it out.

Grady - Damn he's still being a jerk. I get he's mad and all at Rebel, but come on it's who she is and she loves her work, but I guess I can see his point too, but still he's going about it the wrong way and it was very interesting to note he's the one who nicknamed her Rebel. 

We finally got to know how Rebel & Benji that was quite interesting as well.

Grady & Angela this isn't gonna go well at all.. I have a feeling Grady's really gonna cheat this time especially when I saw he took of his wedding ring.

Ziggy & Sean are still cute I just hope Sean isn't trouble because I like him and Ziggy together. 

Finally Cruz & Rebel I continue to love their close friendship and that ending wow I was not expecting that. Poor Cruz he's been under so much stress he's lucky Rebel was there. 

I can't wait for May 6th which is the next episode.  FYI: I totally forgot Katey is co executive producer of Rebel 

Edited by ESS
  • Love 6

As with most shows, the relationships that aren't/possibly romantic or sexual are the most interesting and the others are largely annoying.  Why anyone, let alone multiple women, would want to have sex with Rebel's son has not been established, so I continue to be turned off by his scenes.  And I don't give a shit about skater dude and the youngest daughter. 

Cassidy whining she's not conflicted out is ridiculous under common sense and a poor argument under the law, but it's ostensibly possible a judge would keep her on.  Of course, the client should want her to stay miles away from the case.  I'll try to let it go.

But, fundamentally, although everyone deserves representation, her throwing in for these particular assholes doesn't ring true; if her whole thing is moving away from the job Mom got her, taking up one working directly for Dad and in order to represent everything she stands against is stupid since she's not desperate.  Lazy set-up, though, may ultimately lead to a good story.

Generic White Dude mansplaining how Cassidy should play this I can very much do without.  I continue to dislike him as much as I have from jump; he's bland and useless, but I can tell they're going to force him in.

Lana continues to be a highlight, and I wish we'd have more of her tonight.

Grady can go fuck himself; go cook your own damn food.  Or, ya know what, don't marry someone like Rebel if you're going to - when it financially benefits you - suddenly decide you can't handle being married to someone like Rebel; it's not like this was a first marriage between two young people who hadn't yet figured out who they are.  The writers are going to need to give him more depth or have Rebel stop wanting to work things out, because too much more of this will make her look like a moron.

Cruz and all the clients' reaction to Rebel revealing what happened to his wife was great.  I really like the backdrop of that story.

• Love 4

I like Katy Sagal, but I really don’t like the character she’s playing.  My least favorite scene was when she made a U turn in traffic, complete with hand gestures to other drivers like ‘sorry, sorry, but I’m on a Very Important Mission right now.’   She doesn’t care who she runs off the road literally or figuratively.  
She crossed a line when she told the group of clients about Andy Garcia’s wife.  that’s not her story to tell, especially the suicide part which is just supposition anyway.  
I thought Rebel was being very unrealistic when she showed up so late for the marriage counseling appointment and just expected it to be rescheduled.  She expects everybody else to bend over backwards for her, but when she is asked to change she falls back on ‘that’s who I am’.  
the whole cast of characters seems kind of claustrophobic, with all the different family relationships and histories. 
I guess I’ll watch next week to see what happens with Sharon Lawrence’s character, and make sure Andy Garcia is ok.  I do enjoy seeing this many actors over fifty in one show, I guess that’s the main reason I’m watching it at all.

Edited by CattyK
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, ESS said:

Poor Jackie, but I'm so glad they worked it out with the landlord, though he was such a jerk, so funny when Rebel sprayed him with hose he deserved it. FYI: Sarah sounds like her mother I was very surprised by that because I've never heard her speak before now.

The moment I heard Jackie speak, I thought "there is no way this actress is not Katey Sagal's daughter in real life." Their voices and rhythms of speech are so similar. 

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, ThatsDarling said:

The moment I heard Jackie speak, I thought "there is no way this actress is not Katey Sagal's daughter in real life." Their voices and rhythms of speech are so similar. 

Yes I definitely noticed the similarities as soon as I heard her speak just like her mother! 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, CattyK said:

I like Katy Sagal, but I really don’t like the character she’s playing.  My least favorite scene was when she made a U turn in traffic, complete with hand gestures to other drivers like ‘sorry, sorry, but I’m on a Very Important Mission right now.’   She doesn’t care who she runs off the road literally or figuratively.  
She crossed a line when she told the group of clients about Andy Garcia’s wife.  that’s not her story to tell, especially the suicide part which is just supposition anyway.  
I thought Rebel was being very unrealistic when she showed up so late for the marriage counseling appointment and just expected it to be rescheduled.  She expects everybody else to bend over backwards for her, but when she is asked to change she falls back on ‘that’s who I am’.  
the whole cast of characters seems kind of claustrophobic, with all the different family relationships and histories. 
I guess I’ll watch next week to see what happens with Sharon Lawrence’s character, and make sure Andy Garcia is ok.  I do enjoy seeing this many actors over fifty in one show, I guess that’s the main reason I’m watching it at all.

She is starting to remind me of Dexter. "It is okay to break any laws I want because I'm doing it for the good of society." 

• Love 3

Cassidy is annoying. She pushed away a good man, Amir, with her team bad decisions. It's just as well, because she's probably going to end up hooking up with Luke and I don't want to see Amir get hurt. 

Love Lana! 

The show, so far, is pretty snappy and fun. I'm enjoying it. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, eel21788 said:

She is starting to remind me of Dexter. "It is okay to break any laws I want because I'm doing it for the good of society." 

Yeah, I am not a fan of the idea she can get away with whatever she wants because she's helping people.

I know the daughter asked them to go to counseling, but they seem to be at an impasse. I don't see how it will help. He's unhappy with her being out saving the world all the time and she doesn't want to stop running around saving the world. Now, the actor is a lead, so I am sure they'll reunite at some point, but in real life people in such different places don't work out.

If lead is poisoning the water, isn't there a board of health you can report it to? Or some other legal process rather than showing up at someone's house and spraying water all over them.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

I suspect that Angela is a plant to get Grady in trouble with Rebel.

I suspect that as well especially because when I caught him taking off his wedding ring it doesn't look good. I think it's gonna get better before it gets worse between Rebel & Grady.

• Love 2

Does Grady drink at the same time, same station at that bar?  If so, Angela could totally be on Rebel's payroll or in her cadre of friends and it's a set up.  She was pretty aggressive and Grady wasn't even paying attention to her at first.  Entrapment!  😃  If Grady goes down for cheating, I won't mind Rebel having played the upper hand.  Grady is annoying.  So is Cassidy.  I loved seeing her get dumped by Amir.  The Nate/Misha hookup was all kinds of cheesy ick to me.

Rebel was wrong in outing Cruz's wife's cause of death like that.  It is all conjecture anyway if it was suicide or accidental.  Poor Cruz.  Wasn't expecting that ending!

• Love 2
(edited)
19 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Does Grady drink at the same time, same station at that bar?  If so, Angela could totally be on Rebel's payroll or in her cadre of friends and it's a set up.  She was pretty aggressive and Grady wasn't even paying attention to her at first.  Entrapment!  😃  If Grady goes down for cheating, I won't mind Rebel having played the upper hand.  Grady is annoying.  So is Cassidy.  I loved seeing her get dumped by Amir.  The Nate/Misha hookup was all kinds of cheesy ick to me.

Rebel was wrong in outing Cruz's wife's cause of death like that.  It is all conjecture anyway if it was suicide or accidental.  Poor Cruz.  Wasn't expecting that ending!

I don't know if he does or not, but the theory you bring up about Angela and her being on Rebel's payroll it's an interesting thought and I never even considered it until now, but it's very possible that could be as well and like you I wouldn't mind Rebel having the upper hand either because I dislike Grady and he's upping to my hate list more and more. 

I love Rebel, but I agree she was wrong with telling those people about Cruz's wife's report I was very surprised by that I have to admit, but was glad she apologized to Cruz at the end(she did the right thing) I think she just wasn't thinking it can happen when you're wound up like Rebel was, She was trying to make a point and she just handled it the wrong way so to speak.

Edited by ESS
  • Love 2

I know it's only three episodes but I'm really loving thus show. All the characters feel so real and fleshed out. The relationships are good and varied. We've got friends, love stories of different ages, siblings, work colleagues. It's just really good. 

The only story I'm meh on is Iggy and her guy. And the only character I don't like is Grady, but I can see where he's coming from.

Overall, yeah, though, I'm just loving thus one.

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, driver18 said:

I know it's only three episodes but I'm really loving thus show. All the characters feel so real and fleshed out. The relationships are good and varied. We've got friends, love stories of different ages, siblings, work colleagues. It's just really good. 

The only story I'm meh on is Iggy and her guy. And the only character I don't like is Grady, but I can see where he's coming from.

Overall, yeah, though, I'm just loving thus one.

Yeah Ziggy & Sean I like so far, but I really hope he isn't trouble. 

Yes I think we all can agree on Grady being a jerk.

Don't know if anyone knows this or not, but Katey made up Rebel's backstory herself which I think is so neat and interesting! 

Edited by ESS
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
On 4/23/2021 at 5:04 PM, funnygirl said:

Cassidy is annoying. She pushed away a good man, Amir, with her team bad decisions. It's just as well, because she's probably going to end up hooking up with Luke and I don't want to see Amir get hurt. 

Love Lana! 

The show, so far, is pretty snappy and fun. I'm enjoying it. 

Agreed. I kinda hate Cassidy. Of course, she shouldn't be on that case!

I also hate Grady. Cook your own damn dinner. 

I adore Lana. 

• Love 5
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Court said:

Agreed. I kinda hate Cassidy. Of course, she shouldn't be on that case!

I also hate Grady. Cook your own damn dinner. 

I adore Lana. 

I'm indifferent to Cassidy as a character so far...and I hated the way she treated her mother! and Grady is slowly move up to my hate list.. especially if he keeps up what he's doing.

I love Lana as well and when Rebel & Lana team up. 

Edited by ESS
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I liked when Lana got done reaming out Beni, they went right into brother sister mode 

Yes they did because he needed that too and I really hope it takes her advice to heart. 

• Love 2

Another interesting episode.  Oh how very Machiavellian Benji is.  He is all kinds of twisty lawyer to manipulate his daughter and use her that way.  I absolutely hated how White Guy Layer (man.... I really need to learn his name)  had to explain all the moves to her and then further gaslight her in staying.  I am hoping Cassidy will not fall for this.  The camera lingering on her face gives some hints that she is not comfortable with her move despite her big words.

On 4/23/2021 at 5:04 PM, funnygirl said:

Luke... Luke..   Ok that's his name.  LOL.

But honestly I am not putting Amir's leaving on Cassidy.  He is a grown ass man and a lawyer himself.  He decided to 'test' her rather than, I dunno answer her texts and talk to her like a grown ass man should have.  And when he got there and she wanted to talk he could have listened to her but instead he got his say, talked down to her and decided to flounce (with just shirts... does the man own no pants?  A toothbrush?  A jacket or two? ).  I agree her decision to move from one nepotistic job situation to another one is not exactly a clarion cry of freedom and she needs to address what it is she is really trying to accomplish.

I also agree the messy family dynamics remain a draw.  Possibly outside of Nate (whose storyline as a player Dr. Dudebro is stale) all the rest of the family members have really interesting character beats and moral dilemmas and interesting shifting dynamics with each other.  They need to do more with Nate.  I do like the further hint that he and Cassidy are close, but I would also like to see him interact with Rebel -- what is their relationship really like?  And his dad.  We haven't see Cop dad since ep 1.

I do like Rebel, but outside of her great scenes with Cruz and Lana, she seems to just march from one thing to another larger than life.  I know that is the character but they need to let her breathe a bit.  Hopefully they'll find a balance.

I agree that the Sharon Lawrence character feels like a plant. 

Cruz and Lana are my favorites.  And Even Benji -- bastard that he is -- gives me a soft spot, but that is mostly due to James Lesure who has charm to spare.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

White Guy Layer (man.... I really need to learn his name)

I finally - I think - committed to memory that he's Luke, but it will probably take me a couple more episodes to stop referring to him as Generic White Dude.  He is my least-favorite character, because at least Grady, that son of a dick, has a purpose and some measure of charisma. 

On 4/23/2021 at 12:25 AM, CattyK said:

I do enjoy seeing this many actors over fifty in one show,

Same here (over sixty, even).  And I like that all of Rebel's husbands are younger than her, instead of the other way around (at least, the actors playing them are all younger than Katey Sagal).

• Love 4

I like Nate (the brother), and Luke (the "generic white dude" lawyer at Benji's firm). I think he's being played by Benji just as much as Cassidy. The only difference is that he knows he's being played and is trying to learn how to be that good. I also think that him and Cassidy have way more chemistry than her and Amir did. I also think that Luke, unlike Amir, is being a heckuva lot more honest in how he approaches her than Amir is. (As in talking about how things are done at Benji's firm compared to Amir's 'I didn't answer your texts expecting you to get that meant you were supposed to come and apologize after quitting' nonsense.)