Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09 38-Year-Old Grandmother

• Start Topic

Ugh I just realized this should be E10 but I don’t know how to edit post titles. Such a newb. 

I’m nauseated by the fact that Aiden, who finds his girlfriend’s labor “annoying” is going to be somebody’s father. I give it 2 weeks before the baby’s needs also become annoying to him. I’m Canadian and don’t know anyone who was induced but it seems so prevalent in the US! And of course we don’t know all the information, but Jenna’s reasons for inductions seem to just be “because I want to”. I remember having so many petty, stupid fights with my high school boyfriend and I cannot even fathom bringing a screaming, never-sleeping baby into the mix. I’d feel sorry for these poor kids if they weren’t so dumb and irresponsible. 

• Love 6

Aiden used to be almost nice but now he's really bitchy and Jenna seems to be walking on egg shells with him!

Her stepmother has caught my attention since the beginning.  She says nothing!  In that house that's probably better!

• Love 4

That Lawrence.  Okay, I'll admit that I'm biased because I despise a man asking his girlfriend's father (or in this case, step-father, and mother) for permission to marry their daughter.  And I'm biased because I bristle at the man having the power to make the decision when a couple is to marry.  But in this case it's super annoying because here's this 19-year-old kid having a baby with a 19-year-old girl who already has a baby with another guy, and he says he wants to ask permission because it's "more proper," and "more like a mature thing to do." 

No, the proper thing is to not knock up your girlfriend before you're married, and the mature thing is to not knock her up before y'all are able to support yourselves as independent adults.  Then again, since they are living in her parents' house, perhaps permission IS warranted, but I don't think that's what he's thinking of.

And Lilly's parents being all gaga over his asking permission.  Why?  They lied to him, because they gave their permission for him to marry her but then said in the THs that they shouldn't get married right away, until they know each other fully, should be engaged for a while and get married down the road, and longer is always better.  So what exactly was accomplished?  I guarantee they and Lawrence are not on the same page about what was resolved in that conversation.

But bless the jeweler's heart for telling that idiot Lawrence what words to use (although, again, women are people, not chattel to be passed around among men).  I think Lawrence is quite dim (which makes me think Lilly's previous boyfriend must have been awful for her parents to think Lawrence is so great).  But it's a good thing I'm not a jeweler because I'd go broke because I would have told Lawrence he's a moron if he spends a dime on a ring before he's financially independent and has money to spare.

I felt for Jenna being upset because she was late.  I hate being late, and in her case, she articulated that she didn't want to be the idiot pregnant teenager who also can't manage to be on time for appointments.  And I can't stand her dad, but at least he admitted he's been wrong in how he's interacted with Jenna's mom.  I can't believe it took until now for him to realize it, but...progress.

But why are they blurring the tattoo on his left arm?  Is it copyrighted or something?

• Love 5

I do like Lawrence. But I was kind of disturbed that he said not once but twice that not only can he not see himself with anyone else but, "I can't see her being with anyone else." 

It might have come out wrong. What he probably meant was that he doesn't want to think of that because he wants to be that person. But instead it came out as either 1)Nobody else would want to be with her or 2) Controlling vibes, like marking his territory. 

Edited by abracadabra
Spelling
  • Love 2

No one in Jenna's story has any redeemable qualities whatsoever. Well, her baby probably does. Watching her segments is exhausting. 

"Alex...done me wrong !" I have heard that line in songs but never heard someone actually speak this phrase. Tyra is really disappointing me.

Again this week I ask, did I dream that the show told us a few weeks ago that Ethan's parents are kaput ? They seem fine this week and last week. Does anyone else remember this ?

I didn't have a problem with Lawrence asking for her parents ' blessing. I give him the benefit of the doubt, that he's trying to start off on the right foot.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

But in this case it's super annoying because here's this 19-year-old kid having a baby with a 19-year-old girl who already has a baby with another guy, and he says he wants to ask permission because it's "more proper," and "more like a mature thing to do." 

Suddenly there is a desire to be “traditional.” Umm, really? And Lily will have two kids with two fathers, married to neither, yet it is traditional to have one two baby showers. I guess I’m a dinosaur, stuck in the past, not realizing what chutzpah the rules are these days.

6 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

she articulated that she didn't want to be the idiot pregnant teenager who also can't manage to be on time for appointments

Jenna, that ship sailed ages ago. If the shoe fits, wear it. Your baby daddy, Aden, checked out a few weeks ago. Can he seem any less interested (or any more smug, for that matter)? That boy will be moving out of Father Jenna’s house in 3....2.....1

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Chris Knight said:

Again this week I ask, did I dream that the show told us a few weeks ago that Ethan's parents are kaput ? They seem fine this week and last week. Does anyone else remember this ?

It's come out on social media that Ethan's parents split up at some point after the baby was born, but I don't think that's been mentioned on the show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, bref said:

It's come out on social media that Ethan's parents split up at some point after the baby was born, but I don't think that's been mentioned on the show.

Not surprised as, on the show, they did say that dealing with the impending baby has been stressful on their marriage and they needed Myrka's mom to step up and help out. 

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, Shauna said:

Not surprised as, on the show, they did say that dealing with the impending baby has been stressful on their marriage and they needed Myrka's mom to step up and help out. 

So now Ethan’s father can take on a third?fourth? job to support two households while Ethan sits around playing video games and Myrka cries about no one doing anything to help her. And Ethan’s younger siblings can grow up in a one parent home. Collateral damage.

• Love 5

There wasn't much to this episode. I wonder if there was a bunch of Reanna drama in the original cut, and they had to stuff it with a bunch of proposal-related filler. I mean, Lilly's parents chatting in their car? That's not why I tune in. I started fast-forwarding through those segments like this was 90 Day Fiancé.

I appreciated Myrka's mom cooing properly. I wasn't sure what to expect from her.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

So now Ethan’s father can take on a third?fourth? job to support two households while Ethan sits around playing video games and Myrka cries about no one doing anything to help her. And Ethan’s younger siblings can grow up in a one parent home. Collateral damage.

Wow, it's such a shame that they were teen parents who stayed together and made a seemingly nice life for themselves but the split up after all that time.  

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Shauna said:

Is it just me?  Every time Myrka is on camera, I want to reach through and pull up her tank or shirt and cover her boobs. 

Oh good. I thought I was being a prude. I keep thinking she’s just a young girl. I don’t know why all the boobage.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, zenme said:

Oh good. I thought I was being a prude. I keep thinking she’s just a young girl. I don’t know why all the boobage.

Breastfeeding does that to a body.  I figure she is probably still wearing the clothes she had before she got pregnant and they don't don't fit her expanding boobage.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, RoxiP said:

Breastfeeding does that to a body.  I figure she is probably still wearing the clothes she had before she got pregnant and they don't don't fit her expanding boobage.

Her boobs had been making appearances before the baby was born. I know pregnancy makes boobs get bigger...like I said, I can be a prude when it comes to that. Mine never see the light of day.  I literally met my husband at a club in the 80’s, wearing a turtleneck and boots. 
I also took notice that she wore her sports bra around her in-law’s house with those huge knockers. Like I said, I recognize I can be a prude about that. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, zenme said:

That's all I can focus on when her talking head is on.  And I'm a straight woman!  You'd think one of the family members would point it out to her.  She doesn't seem like the type to want to put it on display and so I wonder if she even realizes it?   I'd have to say yes as I have boobs as well and always know when they are on display--which is like never. 

• Love 1

I don't see a new thread for the Foley Bulb episode but I couldn't wait to come here to rant.  I'm older than dirt and have gone through two pregnancy/deliveries and have never heard of this.  It sounds like an archaic torture device and I can't imagine what moron would think it's a good idea to use this on a teenage mom who has never given birth before.  Did she think this was going to get her through labor quicker and with less pain???  Did anyone think to explain to her that when a woman's cervix dilates that it is PAINFUL????? 

OK, rant over.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, suzeecat said:

I don't see a new thread for the Foley Bulb episode but I couldn't wait to come here to rant.  I'm older than dirt and have gone through two pregnancy/deliveries and have never heard of this.  It sounds like an archaic torture device and I can't imagine what moron would think it's a good idea to use this on a teenage mom who has never given birth before.  Did she think this was going to get her through labor quicker and with less pain???  Did anyone think to explain to her that when a woman's cervix dilates that it is PAINFUL????? 

OK, rant over.

I can't get over inducing labor just because you're tired of being pregnant and it's convenient for you - especially for a first time mom whose body has never gone through labor before.  Ever watch that documentary, "The Business of Being Born"?  I found it very interesting.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, suzeecat said:

OK, rant over.

I had this done in 2003 with my first pregnancy/labor because I was induced (due to low fluid/being late) on pitocin and wasn't progressing. It was SO PAINFUL and didn't help, but they tried this after 24 hrs + labor and 2 doses of Cervidil with no progression. 0/10, do not recommend!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1