Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E06: Hollywood Week: Genre Challenge

• Start Topic

Gee, I am just so incredibly shocked that that Erica would wind up making a whole bunch of drama for herself once she got voted out. Makes one wonder why they accepted her at the audition, then.

There were a lot of very...interesting...takes on certain songs tonight. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

If I have to hear one more F***ing thing about how Casey has never performed before, oh my god.  I'm ready to lose it.  It's so obviously this producer narrative that they've decided to shove down our throats this entire season and I just can't anymore.

I've listed a bunch of songs here.  Definitely not all of them, but a whole lot.

https://www.tunefind.com/show/american-idol/season-19/105329

55 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

There were a lot of very...interesting...takes on certain songs tonight. 

Sometimes I didn't even know what people were singing.  Some of the singers were all over the place.  I know that song "Sex on Fire" by Kings of Leon very well, but it took me until the very end of the song to comprehend what the guy was singing.

Asking to speak to the manager of American Idol is hilarious.

So glad my boy Murphy made it.  And Beans.

What are the surprise twists that nobody saw coming?  Oh, ok.  It happened at the end.  LOL.  

Don't forget guys, the next show airs tomorrow.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

DietCokeJunkie, No. They've played that information incredibly close to the vest this season. Usually you can find a total # of contestants that made it to Hollywood Week. And numbers as Hollywood week moves along..

Contestants that we saw make it to the Duets round (not a full list) :

Pop

Liahona Olayan (last surviving Olayan sibling)

Laila Mach (got a Gaby Barrett shoutout before her audition)

Ava August (15 year old veteran of The Voice)

Alex Guzman (Viking aficionado)

Andrea Valles (had purple hair when she initially auditioned)

Mary Jo Young (Tik Tok singer)

Claudia Conway (We know, we know)

Colin Jamieson (former Boybander)

Country

Alex Miller (doing a long con tryout for the Grand Ole Opry)

Cecil Ray (has a newborn daughter)

Mignon (first name possibly Filet)

Caleb Lowery (18 year old Chris Stapleton in training)

Chayce Beckham (now country, now probably a frontrunner)

Soul

Re'h (Burlesque-esque Army vet)

Grace Kinstler

Xavier Washington (Yale student of the Chinese language)

Indie

Christina Daughtery (current high school teacher)

Hunter Metts (still 180% too affected)

Cassandra Coleman (incredibly shy & nervous)

Graham DeFranco (heard 10 seconds of the pilot this time)

Murphy (Still, a time traveling busker)

Emisunshine (also has purple hair)

Lizzy O'Very (wore an accordion for some reason)

Wyatt Pike (Ski town busker with horrible faces)

Rock

Casey Bishop (Bathroom Rocker)

Althea Grace (still singing for her daughter who had the liver transplant)

Beane (Just Beane)

End of Show Montage

Amanda Mena (shown singing)

Zach D'Onofrio (Catie's BF)

Madison Watkins (AGT vet from when she was a tween)

Ash Ruder (sang the song for her father)

Alyssa Wray (tall Kentuckian w/ Pink/Purple hair)

Jason Warrior

Alanis Sophia (not shown singing w/ her toy microphone this time)

Cameron Allen (Beanie aficionado)

Ronda Felton

Willie Spence (closed the show out)

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

DietCokeJunkie, No. They've played that information incredibly close to the vest this season. Usually you can find a total # of contestants that made it to Hollywood Week. And numbers as Hollywood week moves along..

Contestants that we saw make it to the Duets round (not a full list) :

Pop

Liahona Olayan (last surviving Olayan sibling)

Laila Mach (got a Gaby Barrett shoutout before her audition)

Ava August (15 year old veteran of The Voice)

Alex Guzman (Viking aficionado)

Andrea Valles (had purple hair when she initially auditioned)

Mary Jo Young (Tik Tok singer)

Claudia Conway (We know, we know)

Colin Jamieson (former Boybander)

Country

Alex Miller (doing a long con tryout for the Grand Ole Opry)

Cecil Ray (has a newborn daughter)

Mignon (first name possibly Filet)

Caleb Lowery (18 year old Chris Stapleton in training)

Chayce Beckham (now country, now probably a frontrunner)

Soul

Re'h (Burlesque-esque Army vet)

Grace Kinstler

Xavier Washington (Yale student of the Chinese language)

Indie

Christina Daughtery (current high school teacher)

Hunter Metts (still 180% too affected)

Cassandra Coleman (incredibly shy & nervous)

Graham DeFranco (heard 10 seconds of the pilot this time)

Murphy (Still, a time traveling busker)

Emisunshine (also has purple hair)

Lizzy O'Very (wore an accordion for some reason)

Wyatt Pike (Ski town busker with horrible faces)

Rock

Casey Bishop (Bathroom Rocker)

Althea Grace (still singing for her daughter who had the liver transplant)

Beane (Just Beane)

End of Show Montage

Amanda Mena (shown singing)

Zach D'Onofrio (Catie's BF)

Madison Watkins (AGT vet from when she was a tween)

Ash Ruder (sang the song for her father)

Alyssa Wray (tall Kentuckian w/ Pink/Purple hair)

Jason Warrior

Alanis Sophia (not shown singing w/ her toy microphone this time)

Cameron Allen (Beanie aficionado)

Ronda Felton

Willie Spence (closed the show out)

Wow. Thanks for that recap! 

• Love 3

So now they're being blatant about filling pre--determined roles. Oh, for the early years when singers had to sing a variety. 

Well, segregating into "genres" is a sure way to get a Country winner. 'Cuz that's how America rolls. 

As expected, some egregious decisions, such as okaying Conway and jettisoning the (homeless) Black woman in her same group. 

Also, we didn't see the best, IMO (excepting Caleb), who were shown in glimpses at the end.

Forced duets next. I'd like to see if Katy and Luke could pull that off, without deliberately making their duet into a joke. 

• Love 2

Well, all my favorites from the first and second auditions fared well here. So I can't complain too loudly.

But my my, some of the people I saw in the first 10 minutes were absolutely god-awful and tone-deaf and the judges were drooling over them. Did they mess with the sound in post-production? I'm truly at a loss as to how some people who cannot sing at all are moving on with the likes of Grace, Cassandra, and Casey.

All that said, I've watched this show since day 1, and Chayce Beckham sounds like someone I've heard on radio and is a WGWG - he is probably winning this thing. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, thesupremediva1 said:

All that said, I've watched this show since day 1, and Chayce Beckham sounds like someone I've heard on radio and is a WGWG - he is probably winning this thing. 

Is he the one who was drunk driving? He gives me major Dillon (from last season) vibes and Dillon didn't win. I feel like WGWG winning is sort of over at this point tbh.

I have to echo the comments about not even being able to tell what some of them were singing. 

I can't believe they put Claudia through. Come on! They already got their Kellyanne appearance so there was no reason to put her through. Oh wait, I guess they want to see Kellyanne interact with another contestant to see if there's any fireworks or something so they needed Claudia to get to the duets.

The person they showed last, I forget his name, is nowhere near as amazing as they're making him out to be imo. Tone it down already lol.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Is he the one who was drunk driving? He gives me major Dillon (from last season) vibes and Dillon didn't win. I feel like WGWG winning is sort of over at this point tbh.

I'd like to think so, but he's got 10 times more charisma than Dillion, is more pop/country/folk in his tone, and he gives off a David Cook vibe when he performs. Actually, he sounds like a cross between Cookie and Phil Squared - enough ingredients for me to think he has a wide appeal that could take him to the end. 

What's tough is that there are ALWAYS so many incredibly talented females, and this format pits them against each other early, giving them no time to grow.  Meanwhile, Chayce can quietly plug along and win by staying in his own lane. I like Chayce, so I'm not mad about it. But I would like to see a stacked finale with the right talent, so I just hope big ol' voices like Grace stick around long enough to make this a tough choice. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Chacye Beckham is in the wrong genre.  He's not a country singer.  He also has a sob story.

I can seeing Wyatt Pike (who has been promoting himself as the next Phillip Phillips) or Hunter Metts taking it.  The singer song writers, guy next door which is popular with Idol. 

I think the girls will end up canceling each other out.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Did Claudia Conway get work done along with coloring her hair? Would there have been time?  Or did she just have some serious professional makeup done?  

I still think her presence is ridiculous, but I have to ask the important questions.

• LOL 4

Dividing the group into (self-selected) genre subgroups seems like a way for some of them to game the system, doesn't it? Bean = Rock? Chayce = Country? Even Casey doesn't seem particularly Rock. And while I'm sure experts could parse the distinction, 'Soul' and 'R&B' are pretty much the same to the general public.

1 hour ago, escape said:

I can seeing Wyatt Pike (who has been promoting himself as the next Phillip Phillips) or Hunter Metts taking it.

I don't think either one is good looking enough, jmo.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I have to echo the comments about not even being able to tell what some of them were singing. 

I can't believe they put Claudia through. Come on! They already got their Kellyanne appearance so there was no reason to put her through. Oh wait, I guess they want to see Kellyanne interact with another contestant to see if there's any fireworks or something so they needed Claudia to get to the duets.

The person they showed last, I forget his name, is nowhere near as amazing as they're making him out to be imo. Tone it down already lol.

Ok, I agree with you on Willie.  Both of his auditions, I was like whatever, but even my musician brother was blown away.  It's just not my thing.

Chayce was drunk driving???

I wonder if they're using Soul to mean like 1950s-1970s and R&B to mean 1990s-2010s, but I don't think the auditions matched up to that anyway.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Chayce was drunk driving???

Well, he said he drank too much and then got in a car accident so I just assumed he was saying he was drunk driving.

2 hours ago, Maya said:

The 15-year-old girl with the long straight blondish hair and bangs looked like she was 27.

RIGHT!

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Chayce has been one of my favs since his first audition, so I'm happy he went through. But I'm not really a country fan, so I hope he branches out some with his song choices. The song he sang was by Tyler Childers, who is actually a bluegrass singer. It was a good choice, since their voices are very similar. And it's ironic that I only became a fan of Tyler's a few weeks ago when I heard another one of his songs played on this show! I wonder if the contestants had to choose a genre before they saw the list of songs they could sing? If not, maybe they just chose the song they thought would be best, and then were placed into whatever genre the song was considered to be.

I wish they had shown more of the performances instead of re-airing clips we had already seen.

I also can't believe Claudia went through. She just doesn't have a pleasant sounding voice. At least her makeover was an improvement.

• Love 3
On 3/21/2021 at 7:46 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Sometimes I didn't even know what people were singing.  Some of the singers were all over the place.  I know that song "Sex on Fire" by Kings of Leon very well, but it took me until the very end of the song to comprehend what the guy was singing.

I know, right? I heard the lyrics of one song, was sure I'd heard them before, asked my husband who had no clue, only to finally catch on by the end that it was Phil Collins' In the Air Tonight -- and my husband is a huge Phil Collins fan. That is not what I call "making it your own."

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, ForReal said:

I know, right? I heard the lyrics of one song, was sure I'd heard them before, asked my husband who had no clue, only to finally catch on by the end that it was Phil Collins' In the Air Tonight -- and my husband is a huge Phil Collins fan. That is not what I call "making it your own."

Yeah!  If you've heard the song a bunch of times, it should be recognizable from the beginning.  It shouldn't be a big surprise by the end.

My go-to examples of "making it your own" but we still recognize it immediately are Andrew Garcia's "Straight Up" by Paula Abdul or Phillip Phillips "Nice and Slow" by Usher.

Such different versions but right away when the guys started singing the judges understood immediately what was happening.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1