Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

I look forward to this as well. I don’t think I was old enough to pay attention when Tina was with Ike, but I fully remember her comeback in the 80s and liking many of her songs, plus her triumph at the Grammys with Private Dancer

Anybody watch this! I was getting teary-eyed when near the end of the documentary they showed present day Tina at the Broadway play musical and everyone giving a standing ovation. What a life she lived. Damn, those talks about Ike from interviews. WTF? 

• Love 3

I’m maybe 1/4 of the way through it so far (at Tina doing the River High song with Phil Spector) and it’s both very interesting and heartbreaking. I knew her history with Ike’s band and his abuse in broad strokes but I didn’t know the finer details

• Love 1

I love and admire Tina so much, both as a person and for her music. I couldn’t help but feel a little bad that this documentary exists at all. She kept saying over and over and over that she didn’t want to talk about her past and here we are asking her about her past again. 😢

I am so grateful she found true love and was able to receive some of her flowers now. 

• Love 8

I was disappointed that the documentary spent so much time on Ike. He was in way over half of it, Even after she left him, they showed the footage of Tina continually being asked about Ike. They only spent the last few minutes on her finally finding happiness with her current husband. I wish they had spent more time on Tina's happy and independent years. 

• Love 7

I know. Other than Ike himself, her mother was really something. Your daughter gave you a home and you act like that still? Tina deserved much better. It is wonderful she married a nice European gentleman. It is not mentioned in the documentary, but she had kidney failure and suffered a stroke. Her husband offered his kidney to her and Tina being modest, did not want him to   do that. She always insisted that he was young and that Tina was old, but he was adamant about it. That’s dedication. Another thing is that she still suffers from PTSD. 

She did left with grace. And her new mansion in Zurich is really something. Seeing a picture of teenaged Tina Turner is something. However, the pictures of Tina shows what an magnetic presence she was, even when they showed her not in the best moments. You still saw that charisma she always carried with her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Violet Penner said:

I love and admire Tina so much, both as a person and for her music. I couldn’t help but feel a little bad that this documentary exists at all. She kept saying over and over and over that she didn’t want to talk about her past and here we are asking her about her past again.

Right? I really felt most of this doc framed Tina in the context of Ike's abuse -- the very shit she wanted to stop talking about decades ago. And her mother was a garbage person who deserved NOTHING from Tina. What a wretched bitch.

But I did love that version of Help! that she sang that I'd never heard before and am definitely going to seek that out on iTunes along with that Phil Spector-produced album which sounded glorious!

I think you do have to cover Ike and her past when you are doing a documentary about her life, but good God, those TV interviewers and others continually asking her about her time with Ike, what her worst day was with him, etc, were really bad

The problem for people like Tina is that they inspire people with surviving trauma and abuse and rising above it. Part of the reason people loved her so much during her triumphant comeback was because she survived so much, so how do you let go of the past and only look forward while still inspiring people with your life story?

The ending with an archival performance by Tina of “Simply the Best” was a great way to end

I can’t believe her parents just up and abandoned Tina and her siblings like that. Tina was really a good person to let her mother back into her life when she was a widow even though the relationship was bad. What a toxic person.

The doc didn’t cover the suicide of her son either, along with the kidney issues and stroke. I don’t know if they just wanted to go out on a happy note or what

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 1

The part where Tina Turner expresses anger was one of the rare moments in that clip. Hearing her voice raised to an anger level and the banging of her hand on the table is the perfect way to sum her frustrations. Hearing her late son in that old interview discussing the trauma of what he saw, Jesus.....no one should suffer for it. And I am with her son: apology, my ass. It was not sincere. Poor guy.

• Love 2

This was a very good documentary. What an icon. I’m old enough to remember Sunday Nights Ed Sullivan show, he always had Ike and Tina Turner on and she was so exciting to watch. And of course she was huge in the 80’s. 
I didn’t learn much new about her that wasn’t in the Angela Basset movie except what a bitch her mother was. The fact that she took care of her just showed what a wonderful woman Tina was/is. 
I loved the ending. I think she has found happiness with her husband who really seems to love and care for her. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, DanaK said:

The doc didn’t cover the suicide of her son either

Do we know why he killed himself?

Also, someone mentioned Tina has PTSD. If it's from the beatings, with Ike out of her life, can we assume she no longer suffers from PTSD?

3 hours ago, MsTree said:

Also, someone mentioned Tina has PTSD. If it's from the beatings, with Ike out of her life, can we assume she no longer suffers from PTSD?

My guess? Hereditary. Actually, Tina did have kidney failure, has PTSD, a stroke, and among other health issues. The Oprah conversation tells about Tina receiving her second husband's kidney. They were together for more than 25 years and to think it went back to the 80s. That's quite remarkable. That's dedication. I am so glad she found a person that cared. Reminds me of Annette Funicello's husband Glen Holt who was with her all the time.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

My guess? Hereditary.

Tina's still alive, and unless Ike killed himself (I don't follow him, nor do I care), then I'm lost with your guess of hereditary 🤔🤷‍♀️

2 hours ago, MsTree said:

Tina's still alive, and unless Ike killed himself (I don't follow him, nor do I care), then I'm lost with your guess of hereditary 🤔🤷‍♀️

Well, I try to have an explanation on these sort of things, but I don't. It is just that Tina was doing  assisted suicide when she had kidney failure, which is legal in Switzerland. But when her second husband donated his kidney, she stopped.

• Useful 1
On 3/29/2021 at 12:24 AM, MsTree said:

From what I understand, just being removed from the situation doesn’t make PTSD go away.  It’s something that has to be managed.  Something unintentional can bring it all back - someone moving too fast in your peripheral view, a noise, etc.   This is why so many vets suffer when they come home. 

Those interviews were terrible.  I’m so glad she’s found happiness.

I wonder where the Crystal Light singers who originally recorded What’s Love Got To Do With It are...

Edited by For Cereals
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, For Cereals said:

From what I understand, just being removed from the situation doesn’t make PTSD go away.  It’s something that has to be managed.  Something unintentional can bring it all back - someone moving too fast in your peripheral view, a noise, etc.   This is why so many vets suffer when they come home. 

Those interviews were terrible.  I’m so glad she’s found happiness.

I wonder where the Crystal Light singers who originally recorded What’s Love Got To Do With It are...

Interesting that Tina Turner never liked that song. Wow, the original was pretty 80s bad. So glad Tina turned it into a classic.

• Love 1

This was wonderful.  And sad.

The wonderful was of course all the archival footage of the performances.  Holy crack, Tina was a performer! 

I got a little snicker about the stand off between Horrible!Phil and Horrible!Ike  And Phil punting Ike to the side to do his work.  I always thougt River Deep Mountain High was a glorious song.  Excellent representative of Phil Spector's "Wall of Sound."  I am surprised it didn;t do well here.  I am with Kurt Loder -- what is wrong with America?  LOL.  But it makes sense even still today even when radio isn't gatekeeping everything, music is still siloed mostly by race or artist and less by actual song genre in some cases  

The sad was how she characterized her life in interview. We see her as this iconic, strong, fierce woman whose name is already written in history.  And she sees herself as having an unhappy life  That just makes me unutterably sad.  I like to think that now at this point, especially with her super devoted husband, that some of that unhappy scale has tipped over into happy.

• Like 1
  • Love 7
On 3/31/2021 at 4:53 PM, DearEvette said:

This was wonderful.  And sad.

The wonderful was of course all the archival footage of the performances.  Holy crack, Tina was a performer! 

I got a little snicker about the stand off between Horrible!Phil and Horrible!Ike  And Phil punting Ike to the side to do his work.  I always thougt River Deep Mountain High was a glorious song.  Excellent representative of Phil Spector's "Wall of Sound."  I am surprised it didn;t do well here.  I am with Kurt Loder -- what is wrong with America?  LOL.  But it makes sense even still today even when radio isn't gatekeeping everything, music is still siloed mostly by race or artist and less by actual song genre in some cases  

The sad was how she characterized her life in interview. We see her as this iconic, strong, fierce woman whose name is already written in history.  And she sees herself as having an unhappy life  That just makes me unutterably sad.  I like to think that now at this point, especially with her super devoted husband, that some of that unhappy scale has tipped over into happy.

I was just going to say the same thing about “River Deep, Mountain High”🙂. I first heard it in my brothers car (when some people had fantastic stereo systems installed in their vehicles) as a teenager, and was absolutely transfixed ❤️It’s in my top 5 best songs of all time. Also listened to it lying on the floor with headphone on. Ah, we had great music & sound equipment back in the day. Sure beats an IPhone & crappy speaker ☺️Spector is a vile person but what talent. Love ! The wall of sound. Tina did an excellent job. Great talent.  Her mother is Disgusting.  Glad she finally found love & happiness. Life is very sad for a lot of us. 

• Love 6

This documentary was fabulous, and though I’ve long loved Tina Turner, my respect and admiration for her went off the charts after watching this. How frustrating it must be to overcome so much and be constantly reminded of it; I feel like the media (and the public) love a good success story and sensationalism, so the Ike years became how they chose to define her. I love the fact that she fought back and refused to adopt the narrative of the abused partner who overcame and instead lived her life as the talented, fierce woman she is.

It’s a bit of a conundrum: telling her story served to make the break with Ike and it also helped other victims of abuse understand that it’s possible to take back control. However people latch on to that and never let it go. Plus, the Ike years are undeniably the part of the Tina Turner story; you cannot have a documentary about her and not tell that story. I think that the documentary handled it very well. It told the story of the abuse and it also made it clear that she was sick of talking about her abuse. What I took away from it is that was that she did not allow the abuse to define her, even when others insisted on doing that. 

As for PTSD, I know people who suffer from PTSD from combat and living through natural disasters and fires. I’ve learned that just because the event stopped and life is better, it’s common to not be able to just move on and act as though it never happened. Triggers are everywhere: for the combat veteran it’s swerving to avoid hitting trash in the road that may disguise an IED; for the hurricane survivor it’s the terror of a big rainstorm; for the fire survivor, it’s the sound of a siren. 

I got the feeling that with time and peace and love Tina has moved to a place of maybe not quite forgiving Ike, but someplace close to that. And based on her husband’s comments during the Broadway show opening, I got the sense that the show and the film were the way she really does close the book on that part of her life. She told her story, her way, and she can enjoy the rest of her life without any questions now-she dictated the narrative. Anyone who would ask her about all that after this film is just an asshole.

• Love 4

I loved seeing this, but I’m a little miffed that it spent so much time on Ike while simultaneously complaining about constantly having to talk about Ike.  I would have much preferred them spending more time on her solo years.

I would have also REALLY enjoyed learning about her retirement years, and becoming a Swiss citizen.  There’s so much cool stuff she’s done that I would have loved to know more about.  Instead, Ike is everywhere.  

• Love 4

My two favorite reactions:

Angela Bassett's look when Tina said she hadn't seen the movie and didn't want to revisit her past.

Mel Gibson's look when that stupid interviewer brought up Ike's drug arrest. LOL

I'm glad Tina found love and someone who treats her right. She was a lot nicer to her mom than I would be.

• Love 3

I thought this was excellent and I teared up a few times.

I thought the doc was pretty well balanced.  I'd never seen the clip (when she was still with Ike) when she's on stage and talking about how men just take what they want and women can do that too; very powerful, especially for the time period.

I loved Tina's fierce determination after her divorce.  She had to work and went to it and she knew she wanted to fill a stadium.   SHE asked Roger Davies to be her manager and then she was open to anything to further her career - I didn't know she hated WLGTDWI, lol..  She made it her own though!  We see her taking charge during rehearsal.   When she's spending time with Erwin Bach, she tells him she wants him to make love to her.   Her talking about her crush on him was very sweet.   She was finally controlling her life.

About midway through, when she's filled that stadium, she says there's nothing like the love you get from the crowd.   She even says at multiple points that she was looking for love.  She gave so much and wanted something back and though the doc goes into it just a bit, of course it comes from her mother's abandonment of her.   When she put out the bio and then the movie came out, she was obviously thinking that would put to rest the Ike questions when instead it just opened the floodgates.  I don't think she wanted to be the inspiration and focal point for other people because of what she survived; she wanted to be an inspiration and focal point because of who she was then - a hard-working, incredibly talented and successful person.  Of course when you are those things, people want to know more, and her survival is so admirable but I'm not sure she sees it that way.

Yesterday was Tina's 82nd birthday so I hope she had a happy one with her beloved husband.  

This song is so much fun and the video so 80's.  I saw a lot of concerts back then but never Tina - I wish I had!

• Love 1