Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E04: Auditions, Part 4

• Start Topic

Week 4 Snap thoughts:

Alyssa Wray can saaang. However she is going to need to find other volume levels than 100 going forward.

Caleb Kennedy has a distinctive, yet sort of a harsh voice. Pretty solid songwriter too. That being said, I do think amongst the male country singers in Hollywood he will be one to watch out for.

How in the world did Ash make it through her song with her father in the room?! Mere mortals would've broken down a few words into the song..

If "Beane" would've just sang a Michael Buble song, it wouldn't of felt quite so novelty-y (as Katie and Lionel pointed out). 

Has anyone in the history of AI begged their way into a golden ticket like Cameron (the Girl Crush singer) did? That was not a great look whatsoever.

If the video post-editing people would've lit both of Laila's eyes up red during the line in her evil original song about wishing the guy would drive off a bridge....that would've been chef's kiss perfect.

I decided that Murphy is a time traveling folk singer from the 50s or 60s..

I'm still confused by the Army singer. Maybe the Viking and her will "randomly" get paired up whenever they get to the group rounds in Hollywood 🙂

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Alyssa Wray can saaang. However she is going to need to find other volume levels than 100 going forward.

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

Has anyone in the history of AI begged their way into a golden ticket like Cameron (the Girl Crush singer) did? That was not a great look whatsoever.

My mom said the same thing. Yet another awkward audition involving that song, which is interesting. But yeah, I wouldn't have sent her through. 

• Love 1

I, too, preferred the singers who didn't get much appreciation from the judges-Bean and Murphy. I admire great big voices, but honestly, they have a tendency to sound alike at this level. 

I did like Heather a lot, but

Spoiler

she's already had a couple of good chances. I prefer to see people who deserve, but haven't had, even one.

• Love 3

First, Army Girl doing Bad Girl was..interesting. Her gyrations are ineffective in a singing contest tryout. But kudos for singing it fairly well.

Purple haired girl at the end is the real deal, prolly top 3 finalist.

Also interesting is the judges picking up on the lack of confidence in a few of the contestants. None of the judges lack in that regard, but its nice to see them try and help those kids (especially the country boy in the black Stetson). 

By and large I don't like the contestants singing originals. Typically they are unpolished, and weak lyrically. Ash's song to he father is a rare exception. 

I though this was a weaker group than the other 3 editions

• Love 3

I don’t know why they gave Girl Crush singer Cameron such a hard time. They spoonfed the other country girl Girl Crush singer big time and I don’t think she was as good as Cameron. 

• Love 2
(edited)

The Donna Summer singer......... 😶

Luke is out of control.

He'll say yes to any shitty country singer (Girl Crush TWICE NOW WE'VE SEEN!) but if someone is good, like the  Boston Michael Buble guy Bean with the grandmother Neen, he'll say no!

I like the Malaysian singer who sang "Endless Love" with Lionel more than half of these idiots.  I couldn't do that but I could do that shitty rendition of "Bad Girls" or "Girl Crush".  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

In Luke's defense, over the 3 previous seasons with this judging panel (and the 4 weeks of this season, so far) Katy (IMO) has been somewhat harsh on country singers so I think on top of wanting to see country be well represented in Hollywood he's also said yes on some more marginal country singers a few times just to put their fate in the hands of LR instead of Katie.

As a whole, I think this panel has also been pretty hard on the Michael Buble/old time crooner voices during the audition process (not that we've heard a ton of those style voices). So I'm actually mildly impressed that LR & KP saw enough in Beane to send him to Hollywood. They chose not too when it came to the Jingle guy who also had a good voice in that "lane". They also gave the girl from Malaysia who sang a duet with LR three pretty harsh no's when I thought she had a very pretty voice (considering that she was trying to sing in harmony with LR from across the audition room)..

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 5
(edited)

The Malaysian singer was obviously trying so hard to sing with Lionel and had to pause sometimes to make sure the timing was right.  That's not easy to do on the first try, and with a superstar, it would be very intimidating.

So this episode I only liked Bean, the Malaysian singer (sorry, I wish I knew her name), and Murphy.

The rest all bleed together.  Luke's shitty country singers, the cute girl with the Dad, the terrible singer who sang "Bad Girls", etc. The guy with the bad self esteem.  I'd probably like him but I already forgot what he sounded like, I'm sorry.

21 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

I decided that Murphy is a time traveling folk singer from the 50s or 60s..

Yeah James Taylor, Jim Croce, he was so cool and so cute I thought.  So interesting and fascinating.

Oh there's still the purple hair woman.  LOL.  This episode just kept going.  Too yelly for me.  :(. 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

I felt the Malaysian singer who sang the duet with Lionel Richie should have been given a chance to sing again. To sing a song of her on for the show. Very disappointing that a person traveling 1,500 miles from a completely different Country was so summarily and quickly dismissed. Seemed so un-American especially from Lionel Richie some one I have listened to and attended his concerts the majority of my life. A guy I thought was so into love, emotion, soul and connection. Just very disappointed only my second time writing into anything in my 67 years. 

• Love 1

"Too yelly for me."

Exactly why, though I find her a likeable  person, I could never sit through a Kelly Clarkson concert (Other than the times I did, back in the Clay days).

Anyway, thanks for supporting my suspicion  that the show is predictably putting the best singer on last. I'll fast-forward this episode!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Exactly why, though I find her a likeable  person, I could never sit through a Kelly Clarkson concert (Other than the times I did, back in the Clay days).

Back in the day when she was on Idol, some of us on TWOP used to call her "Yelly Kelly."  I never could stand her singing. 

I voted for Justin Guarini. 😉 

• Love 1
On 3/8/2021 at 3:18 PM, Quickbeam said:

I don’t know anything about Luke but when he was screwing around singing show tunes? He has a nice voice. 

I don't listen to country so I'm not familiar with Luke's songs or voice, but whenever he sings on AI, I'm impressed.

Lionel, too, sounds very smooth when he sings on AI.

Katy never sing on AI. 🤔

Edited by Blissfool
  • Love 1
On 3/8/2021 at 6:03 PM, SS Mark said:

I felt the Malaysian singer who sang the duet with Lionel Richie should have been given a chance to sing again. To sing a song of her on for the show. Very disappointing that a person traveling 1,500 miles from a completely different Country was so summarily and quickly dismissed. Seemed so un-American especially from Lionel Richie some one I have listened to and attended his concerts the majority of my life. A guy I thought was so into love, emotion, soul and connection. Just very disappointed only my second time writing into anything in my 67 years. 

I liked her, too, but I also think it extremely likely that she sang other things for the judges that got edited out - and they must’ve made their decision based on what we didn’t see. 

Edited by Wit E. Moniker2
Forgot a “y”
  • Love 1