Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: Recessive Gina

• Start Topic

My cable kept going on and off but from the math I guess Gina is 35? For some reason I assumed she was younger. Just googled the actress and she is also 35, but Gina could pass for younger. Could definitely relate to Gina's complicated non-relationship with her father...I knew she'd have some interesting backstory.

The last few episodes have shown Drew to be much more likable than he has been in the past. It finally seems as though he cares about Gina (not just her kidney) and that he is growing as a person. At first I thought that Gina needed a ton of character growth, but the writers seemed to be saying that Drew, despite being a therapist, was the one who was really effed up. I am starting to really like their friendship.

Was this the last new episode (at least for a while?)...I didn't see a new promo or any new episode info listed.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, brokenwing29 said:

My cable kept going on and off but from the math I guess Gina is 35? For some reason I assumed she was younger. Just googled the actress and she is also 35, but Gina could pass for younger. Could definitely relate to Gina's complicated non-relationship with her father...I knew she'd have some interesting backstory.

Yeah, she said she hadn't seen her dad since she was 10 and it's been 25 years (which leads me to wonder why she seemed surprised her stepmother didn't recognize her, if they really haven't seen her since before she even hit puberty). I also googled her when she said that. I didn't think she was 35.

10 minutes ago, brokenwing29 said:

Was this the last new episode (at least for a while?)...I didn't see a new promo or any new episode info listed.

I don't know but next week's listing is a rerun.

• Love 1

Drew and Gina are supposed to be about the same age, and I assumed he was in his late 30s, based on the age of his daughter. (Unless we're supposed to think he fathered a child as an undergrad, and I find it hard to believe he'd even be having sex as an undergrad.)

I enjoyed this episode, but I hope this is the end of "someone from Gina's past insists she's a screwup, but Drew shows them they're wrong by revealing that she's donating her kidney" storylines.

• Love 5

RIP Gina’s dad. I felt so bad for her, and her stepmom was so in the wrong. I had a feeling he really had died. This was a great episode. I’ve enjoyed this show all season.

Tonight’s would have been the last new episode to air at 8:30/7:30 this season. Starting April 1 it is moving to 9:30/8:30 and The United States of Al is taking over the 8:30 slot. The Unicorn will be done for the season.

Edited by nelroy78
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I have enjoyed watching Drew go from constantly being visibly annoyed by Gina to turning down the surgery without her dad's medical records because he didn't want her to have any potential complications. Whatever this started out as, he cares enough about her that he was willing to put her health and safety before his own. The Drew we met in episode 1 would have done that for his daughter and maybe his ex, but now he has expanded his selfless love to include Gina.

All that said, I hope they always keep Drew and Gina as platonic friends. I am all for them caring about each other but I don't want to see anything romantic or sexual between them. I love their friendship so I hope it stays that way!

• Love 15
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

All that said, I hope they always keep Drew and Gina as platonic friends. I am all for them caring about each other but I don't want to see anything romantic or sexual between them. I love their friendship so I hope it stays that way!

Same. What I'd really like to see is that with all that Gina is helping him opening up and becoming a better person he gets back with his wife because I really like Sarah Rue. 

• Love 7

I liked this episode even if it ended on a pretty bittersweet note. Its sad that Gina never got to see her dad before he died or even go to the funeral, but she at least got a little bit of closure. Its awful that her step-mom didn't even let her know that her dad died, even if they weren't on speaking terms at the time. 

I have really enjoyed seeing how the relationship between Gina and Drew has grown. It started out with them in almost a business relationship but now you can see how much they've grown to care about and appreciate each other. Drew was even willing to cancel the surgery if Gina could be hurt during the surgery, and we saw last week how afraid he is of not getting a kidney. 

• Love 4

This show has really grown on me, largely due to the enormous appeal of the two leads. It's a really sweet show, even if it's not a ROTFLMAO kind of show.

That said, I didn't particularly care for the trope of the idealized father. From Gina's description he seemed like a really bad father to her. It should not have been her job to reach out to him and maintain a relationship with him, that was his job as the parent. I'm all for closure but by the end of the story she was getting all sentimental about him and that bothered me. 

• Love 7

I am confused. Gina's dad got two women pregnant around the same time but he didn't marry Gina's mother but the other woman who also had a daughter. So would this be the same sister who was highly critical to her about donating her kidney? Because I would think she could have mentioned that their father had died in the past year. Or does she have another sister from her mom.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, nilyank said:

I am confused. Gina's dad got two women pregnant around the same time but he didn't marry Gina's mother but the other woman who also had a daughter. So would this be the same sister who was highly critical to her about donating her kidney? Because I would think she could have mentioned that their father had died in the past year. Or does she have another sister from her mom.

It also wouldn't make sense that she stopped seeing her Dad when she was 10 but kept in touch with the step-sister that she didn't like.

Perhaps her mother had another daughter, before or after she had Gina.  

• Useful 1

I was a bit thrown when Drew returned from the gas station bathroom, but then I realized, maybe it wasn't to urinate.

I'm glad Gina told her step mom that they were the adults, it wasn't Gina's responsibility to make things work.  It didn't seem the step mom thought of that while putting blame on Gina.

My recording cut off the end.  Did they pay the bill?  My guess is that they ran out, but Drew snuck the money into the table.  And then when they got in the car, Gina said, "You left money, didn't you?"

Liked that the dialysis gang went to lunch together.  They are really bonding.  I have no idea where this show will go if/when Drew gets his kidney and his body doesn't reject it...and they can't make him reject it.  It would be a total downer for this show to have two rejected kidneys and I'm sure the Kidney Foundation would not be thrilled by the optics.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Johann said:

My recording cut off the end.  Did they pay the bill?  My guess is that they ran out, but Drew snuck the money into the table.  And then when they got in the car, Gina said, "You left money, didn't you?"

Drew snuck back in, gave the waitress money for the meal, gave her a big tip, and gave her some money to "pay for a dine and dash from about 20 years ago."

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

Drew snuck back in, gave the waitress money for the meal, gave her a big tip, and gave her some money to "pay for a dine and dash from about 20 years ago."

Did he sneak back, or did he get caught trying to sneak out? That's the way I remembered it.

• Love 1