Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Shelter

Episode Synopsis:

After Sparks attempts to quarantine Molly, she and her family seek refuge on a remote island with her estranged father, Quinn. When the agency closes in on their whereabouts, Ethan is exposed to grave danger. Meanwhile, Yasumoto experiments with a strange and deadly substance.

• Love 1

So just a reminder that the show is moving to an hour later, starting tonight, which means I'll catch it sometime in the next few days probably, because I'll be watching Motive live on ABC so I can get my Louis Ferreira fix.

• Love 2

Oh  crap, I didn't know it was on an hour later. It was around  9:30EST and I said to myself, oh crap I forgot to watch Extant. But actually I really could have watched it tonight.(yes,I am one of those people who actually still watch some shows live)  Oh well, on Demand later this week.    Was it any good?

Well crap. It ain't looking good for the home team. And Ethan's death scene was hard to watch. Damn Grandpa! So is Dr. Sam's brain cleaned now?

Oh crap, I didn't know it was on an hour later. It was around 9:30EST and I said to myself, oh crap I forgot to watch Extant. But actually I really could have watched it tonight.(yes,I am one of those people who actually still watch some shows live) Oh well, on Demand later this week. Was it any good?

Yes! Don't read any more posts if you don't want to be spoiled. Sorry, I posted before I saw yours.

• Love 1

Why do people always get lost at night?  Who runs into the woods, alone, at night?  Sometimes I wish the writers were a little more original.

So, Yasumoto is hoping Molly's fetus will help him in his life-sustaining quest?  Is that what's going on? We did see a laser performing some kind of c-section, so I guess she won't be carrying the baby anymore.  This show is so confusing.

(edited)

I find it hard to believe that Grandpa would become a belligerent drunk after having only one shot.  One !!  If that's the case, he's a helluva lightweight -- no wonder he has a drinking problem, but at least he would be a cheap drunk.

What's with the meteor fluid that the two Russian researcher's were trying to reproduce, albeit unsuccessfully ?  Skin contact, no problem -- but when inhaled it kills you.  That can't be good, especially if it is supposed to have healing properties.  Is this going to be yet another show where Hiroyuki Sanada plays an immortal, or at least very long-lived (see Helix)  ?

And shouldn't they have properly called it meteorite fluid, since it's only a meteor when it's falling and it's called a meteorite when it survives that transit through the atmosphere and lands on the ground.  I seriously doubt that they captured the meteor mid-flight through the atmosphere.

There's no way those security guys nabbed Ethan out of that old pickup -- there was no movement through the driver's door, no other doors opened, the truck didn't even move.  Even if they grabbed him through the window, you would have been able to see something happen at the truck.

Slugging a cop is never a good idea -- even if he is lipping off about your mecha-child.  That was just stupid.

John turns off the tracking device in Ethan, but still has his phone -- no wonder they were so easy to track down.  Plus they went to the MOST obvious hideout -- her parent's house.  Way to stay off the grid Molly !

We did see a laser performing some kind of c-section, so I guess she won't be carrying the baby anymore.  This show is so confusing.

How does Yasumoto know that the fetus (or fluids from the fetus) will cure him ?  Did they find a dead alien in the meteorite along with the mystery fluid they were trying to reproduce ?

Why did Sparks appear to be pushing the delete button on the DNA isolator ?  Does he just not want to know the results ?

Plus, who keeps an old DNA isolator in their attic ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

Yasumoto just letting his underlings get infected and dying, in order to further his goals!  Hiroyuki Sanada really does play only one type of character in the sci-fi genre, it seems.  Because his Hatake from Helix would totally be nodding his head with approval over that little stunt.  Looks like he wants Molly's fetus; I'm guessing he's hoping it will save his life or something.  Either way, I don't see anything good coming from him.

Sam held on pretty well at first, but it looks like Alan's found a edge with this whole "her brother killed someone, and she used her influence to help him" blackmail thing.  I hope Sam figures something out.  But, as I hoped, I enjoyed the back and forth between Camryn Manheim and Michael O'Neill.

So, Louis Gossett Jr. shows up as Molly's dad, who was apparently not a very good father. I wonder if we'll be seeing him again.

Again, I'm surprised that the show is going this quickly.  I figured Molly/John/Ethan will be hiding for another episode or two, but that's not the case at all.  Plus, it looked like Ethan really got messed up.  Overall, not a perfect show, but I'm finding it more compelling and certainly less dumb then, say, Under the Dome.  Too bad the ratings haven't been so hot. 

• Love 1

Well, how stupid do you have to be to run to a relative's house when you're trying to get away from the dangerous people who are trying to track you down?  When Molly called him "Daddy" I was confused and surprised because I thought for sure they would ask for help from someone who would be more difficult to connect to them, definitely not a relative.

Also, how stupid do you have to be to punch a law officer so that you will be jailed in the middle of a crisis situation?

Every time they show Sparks' head henchman (I think his name is Gordon) I get a start because I see the shape of his face first and think it is Chandler from "Friends," especially if it is a low-light scene.  I always think it's Chandler/Matthew Perry and then have to remind myself no, it's just "Gordon."

I thought Sparks was going to hit the button for the results?

• Love 5
(edited)

I find it hard to believe that Grandpa would become a belligerent drunk after having only one shot. One !! If that's the case, he's a helluva lightweight -- no wonder he has a drinking problem, but at least he would be a cheap drunk.

Snip

I thought he was faking the whole good Grandpa stuff. He knew he could use Ethan to win money because he was an AI. He said as much to Molly.

Edited by Rhetorica
  • Love 2
I find it hard to believe that Grandpa would become a belligerent drunk after having only one shot. One !! If that's the case, he's a helluva lightweight -- no wonder he has a drinking problem, but at least he would be a cheap drunk.

I took it as, "the first drink gets you drunk" meaning it leads to another and then another.  We only saw him take one, but he probably didn't stop at one.

(edited)

It probably wouldn’t have helped but at the very least, Molly and John should’ve told her dad that they were in trouble, even if they didn’t give him the details.

I think the smartest thing Molly said all night, and perhaps the whole series, was that they should've left Ethan behind with Julie. It certainly would've made the company's objective to capture her more difficult.

I felt bad for Ethan when he got zapped. I fear that zapping is going to turn him to the darkside. But Molly's story about the sister in the stars and Orion may play a role in bringing him back. Notice we got a shot of him looking up at the sky, then the stars before he blanked out.

I thought he was faking the whole good Grandpa stuff. He knew he could use Ethan to win money because he was an AI. He said as much to Molly.

I took it as, "the first drink gets you drunk" meaning it leads to another and then another. We only saw him take one, but he probably didn't stop at one.

Agreed! I never got the feeling that Grandpa was warm at all, but was just playing a role. I mean really, his friend, who already looks like he’s three sheets to the wind, shows up to say hi and next thing you know Grandpa and Ethan are in a bar playing toss a rope. And who takes a kid to a bar anyway? He’d definitely had more than the one shot we saw him take.

So basically what I’m getting from this story is that they are after the alien DNA in order to prolong some schmuck’s life (Yasumoto)? I was hoping the conspiracy went deeper than that, and maybe it does. I guess we’ll see.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 1

I don't think Grandpa was drunk at all, just Molly and John leaped to conclusions. He was irascible and manipulative but I thought that was just him. As said above, not a very good father. 

Grandpa Quentin was a physician, hence the lab equipment, presumably there because going off island would be time wasting. 

Are there any islands with four hundred foot cliffs? I had thought they were supposed to be in California but is it supposed to be Washington state?

• Love 2
(edited)

So, is Ethan kaput, or just resting?

Plus, who keeps an old DNA isolator in their attic ?

The kind of people who have possibly-evil robo-children, presumably. And their cranky extended families, of course.

How did Molly and "John Woods" imagine that going to her father would allow them to escape notice? "Oh, we're estranged, so no one will think to look for us by checking on my blood kin!" Tell me again exactly how you are a scientist?

If the whole point of this elaborate conspiracy is to provide Revenge Sensei with magical but poisonous meteor goop to extend his life, I'm going to be very disappointed. How many genre tropes does this show need to pilfer just to make Evil Dr. Agent Ron Butterfield look menacing?

I thought the most interesting moment of the show was Ghost Marcus showing up to ask Molly not to let him go. I thought the insta-backstory for Doctor Sam was kind of lame, though. The judge isn't going to notice that the defendant was given a favourable psych evaluation by his own sister?

ETA: Nice of Evil Chandler to tell us, in so many words, that the plot is just beginning? Gee, thanks, Retainer Guy!

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 3
I thought the insta-backstory for Doctor Sam was kind of lame, though. The judge isn't going to notice that the defendant was given a favourable psych evaluation by his own sister?

I think this is feasible. He and Sam could have different last names. Could've gone in separate directions throughout life. No one would have any idea that they are siblings unless they did some digging the way the Company did. I could easily see this slipping past the prosecution and thus the judge.

When they sent Ethan off with Grandpa I thought maybe they were going to take the equipment and bolt, and redeem themselves for doing a dumbass thing like going to a relative to hide out - the first place anyone's going to look. (Don't they have TV in the future?) But they compensated for that by moving things along quickly, which I love in a show.

I suspect I was supposed to be mad at the police for not wanting to search for Ethan, but I've got to agree there - don't put real lives in peril for a robot child. The kid can always be rebuilt, right?

• Love 2
(edited)

I just found it weird that estranged grandpa was like "Sure, I'll hang out with your robot boy toy and treat him like an ordinary grandchild. No biggie. I do this kind of thing all the time." 

Then Molly asks grandpa to take Ethan out to dinner and grandpa asks if there are any rules. And Molly just says "make sure he's back by bedtime."

Seriously? I would think doctor grandpa would have lots of questions, like "does he actually eat?", "does he need to eat?", "will he need a battery change?", "what happens to the warranty if he falls in the water?". 

I've been trying to imagine how the role of Molly would be if it were played by someone like Sigourney Weaver - or someone who could bring some gravitas to the idea of being a scientifically minded astronaut. As it is, Molly just seems to be a typical Damsel in Distress.

We'll see if moving to 10pm makes any difference. I sorta regret missing Motive -- that show manages to keep my interest, despite being a procedural. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 2

Don't like the new time slot.  I felt so bad for Ethan when they zapped him. Agree with most of the comments, you run to your father's house, on a island, where you think no one can find you?  Stupid move.  Then of course go running into the dark woods, separately, to look for Ethan!  Maybe Yasumoto is the father of the baby and wants the baby because it's blood/cells, etc. can help him live?  I dunno, it's confusing but I will keep watching. Hope they don't cancel this show.

It's not impossible that the familial tie between Sam and her brother would escape the court's notice, but it does strike me as unlikely. It might actually be grounds for a review of the decision, should it ever become known. I'm not looking forward to seeing Evil Doctor Agent Ron Butterfield use Doctor Sam against Molly.

Did Evil Chandler and the henchmen snag Ethan from Quinn's truck? I think he did run away at first, and then the bad guys caught up to him.

• Love 1

This was a really strange episode.  I can handwave them running to her father because (1) they didn't know men with guns  stormed their house, (2) they acknowledged they couldn't really hide and that they didn't understand why they were even running, and (3) Molly's instincts were already suspect because she's hallucinating.  But it's hard to explain why Molly's dad would be super accepting of this robot kid, fully acknowledging him as a grandson.  How long have they even been raising Ethan as their kid?  I thought he came to the family just before Molly took off for a year.  It's already odd that Molly as so bonded to him when she arrived home unless those video sessions were truly bonding experiences.  Was John taking Ethan to gramps' house every weekend or something?  It just didn't make sense.  

The blackmailing of Dr. Sam was super lame.  She didn't even try to fight back.  She didn't ask any questions like what sort of blackmail Alan was facing.  After working with someone for so many years, wouldn't this new behavior be curious?  I mean, sure, it's her brother and I'd understand her wanting to protect him, but come on, not one legitimate question about all of this hostility being sanctioned by an employer she's worked for for 15 years?  

I'm surprised I felt upset when Ethan was tased.  Mostly because he looked in real distress, but also because this sort of shit is what I'd expect would lead to a robot apocalypse.  You abuse and traumatize a kid, the likelihood of them growing into poor adults increases.  It seems it would be worse for a robot since their learning process isn't at all the same as a human regardless of how well the code mimics human development.  He already exhibited a bit of creepy with the bird thing, though at the time it was easy to wave that away as typical kid stuff (I can't count the number of times one of my students brought in an animal or bug in a closed box for show and tell only to discover the thing was dead when they opened it).  How does a processor incorporate kidnapping and tazing into it's development?  Doesn't seem like it would be good.

And what was the point of taking Ethan and knocking him out?  They couldn't have anticipated Molly and John going off in two different directions and Molly being the one to come across Ethan first.  Did they plan to take them both?  What if it was just John and not Molly?  Would John be used as leverage to get Molly to go quietly?  What if they didn't find Ethan that night?  Why couldn't they have just rushed them while they were in the garage?  They had plenty of time, enough that they could have cleaned up any mess that was made in the potential struggle.  It was an incredibly convoluted plan to get to Molly.  

• Love 4
(edited)

I thought the most interesting moment of the show was Ghost Marcus showing up to ask Molly not to let him go.

That was weird.  I was expecting him to say "It's okay" since that was all he could originally say.

I've been trying to imagine how the role of Molly would be if it were played by someone like Sigourney Weaver - or someone who could bring some gravitas to the idea of being a scientifically minded astronaut. As it is, Molly just seems to be a typical Damsel in Distress.

This would be interesting to see.  Halle Berry as Molly is so laid back that even in the most dire situations she just seems kind of "there."  Like Molly is on benzodiazepines all the time.

I felt bad for Ethan, too, even if he is just a robot and was possibly already a little psycho.  The kid playing him is doing a good job IMO.

I hate that Dr. Sam even has some shady secret that she can be blackmailed with.  Especially such a lame one that is hard to believe.  I hope she will come through in the end.

Edited by Blue Plastic

Every time they show Sparks' head henchman (I think his name is Gordon) I get a start because I see the shape of his face first and think it is Chandler from "Friends," especially if it is a low-light scene.  I always think it's Chandler/Matthew Perry and then have to remind myself no, it's just "Gordon."

So not just me!!

• Love 1

and think it is Chandler from "Friends,"

"Could I be any more evil?" (too easy, sorry.)

I just... all the fun stuff with the conspiracy and what the alien(s) want and Ethan, yet? All the body horror and the wha-? actions and the ignoring of "Okay, don't look for my robot son, but what about my now-lost, pregnant wife?!" (The unspoken "you hick", optional, obviously), and the prioritizing of everything of one man over anyone else (Yamamoto). Granted, he's a rich dude with about a hundred days left to him. Still, this kind of crap makes me yell and want to throw things at the tv. It gets one more chance. They almost lost me with Sam of course being able to be blackmailed!

At least I'm hoping that Ethan breaks free somehow and uses the Sisters and Orion to find his way back to CheapDrunk!Granddad.

Still so much *grrrrrrr* over the last episode!

• Love 2

Why do people always get lost at night?  Who runs into the woods, alone, at night?  Sometimes I wish the writers were a little more original.

They used the old cliche of..lets split up so we can cover more ground trope.  It never ends well.

• Love 3

Well, clearly "John Woods" and Molly spent their younger days being all science-y, so they never watched television.

"Wait, 'John' -- we're doing body horror now, too? I thought this was nefarious plutocrat conspiracy-slash-alien invasion with a crispy side of technology-gone-bad? Aw, man! And I used up all my consternation faces on Cheap-Ass Drunk Dad scenes!"

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1

I hope Molly eventually calls out her dad for using Ethan for bar bets. It will probably be forgotten, overwritten with  " You're a mean  drunk" and "You wonder why we don't visit more" crap.  Flubbing the last toss/hook was the only safe way for Ethan to call out his grandpa for his crappy treatment in that environment. Every shot of Ethan showed that there were at least a couple of rows of bar patrons ringing around him from behind. There were a few folks lining either side of him. Then Granddad starts smack-talking the crowd and Ethan's all "I am not your monkey and this is not my circus."  Ethan may not have known it in that way, but it ended up making quite the statement to Granddad.  

Safe as in Quinn/Granddad couldn't just walk off and leave him. He could, but it'd make him look like a bigger ass to the bar folks. Plus, Ethan would call home and "tattle" about what Quinn did in order to come home to Molly and John. It was also safe in that more folks weren't betting for him- as they had no idea about his robotic nature- so he would not have an angry mob mad at his very young self.

As for the shot that Granddad seemed surprised to get? My money is on Evil Chandler Bing and it was so doctored that he had no chance (other than, clearly, not drinking it.)

This was a really strange episode.  I can handwave them running to her father because (1) they didn't know men with guns  stormed their house, (2) they acknowledged they couldn't really hide and that they didn't understand why they were even running, and (3) Molly's instincts were already suspect because she's hallucinating.  But it's hard to explain why Molly's dad would be super accepting of this robot kid, fully acknowledging him as a grandson.  How long have they even been raising Ethan as their kid?  I thought he came to the family just before Molly took off for a year.  It's already odd that Molly as so bonded to him when she arrived home unless those video sessions were truly bonding experiences.  Was John taking Ethan to gramps' house every weekend or something?  It just didn't make sense.  

The blackmailing of Dr. Sam was super lame.  She didn't even try to fight back.  She didn't ask any questions like what sort of blackmail Alan was facing.  After working with someone for so many years, wouldn't this new behavior be curious?  I mean, sure, it's her brother and I'd understand her wanting to protect him, but come on, not one legitimate question about all of this hostility being sanctioned by an employer she's worked for for 15 years?  

I'm surprised I felt upset when Ethan was tased.  Mostly because he looked in real distress, but also because this sort of shit is what I'd expect would lead to a robot apocalypse.  You abuse and traumatize a kid, the likelihood of them growing into poor adults increases.  It seems it would be worse for a robot since their learning process isn't at all the same as a human regardless of how well the code mimics human development.  He already exhibited a bit of creepy with the bird thing, though at the time it was easy to wave that away as typical kid stuff (I can't count the number of times one of my students brought in an animal or bug in a closed box for show and tell only to discover the thing was dead when they opened it).  How does a processor incorporate kidnapping and tazing into it's development?  Doesn't seem like it would be good.

And what was the point of taking Ethan and knocking him out?  They couldn't have anticipated Molly and John going off in two different directions and Molly being the one to come across Ethan first.  Did they plan to take them both?  What if it was just John and not Molly?  Would John be used as leverage to get Molly to go quietly?  What if they didn't find Ethan that night?  Why couldn't they have just rushed them while they were in the garage?  They had plenty of time, enough that they could have cleaned up any mess that was made in the potential struggle.  It was an incredibly convoluted plan to get to Molly.  

Whoa, so many questions! Almost suggests you may have found this episode a little confusing.   ;-)

I agree, though, that there were a lot of head-scratchers in this one. Even more surprising than running straight to Daddy, didn't Molly mention at least once (if I'm not mistaken) that they were just staying briefly, then planning to return home? How effective a plan is that?

I'm still not convinced that there's an actual human baby in Molly's womb, or even something that resembles one. My theory is that the image on the ultrasound was a fake or a plant to cover up the true nature of the Olympic Rings.

I felt bad for Ethan when he got zapped. I fear that zapping is going to turn him to the darkside. But Molly's story about the sister in the stars and Orion may play a role in bringing him back. Notice we got a shot of him looking up at the sky, then the stars before he blanked out.

Great catch! I think you may be right about this.

• Love 1

Again, I'm surprised that the show is going this quickly.  I figured Molly/John/Ethan will be hiding for another episode or two, but that's not the case at all.  

Yes and no. Had they stayed in hiding a little longer, they'd have got the DNA test results. Getting recaptured let's them keep that mystery going for another week with no real progress.

It's not impossible that the familial tie between Sam and her brother would escape the court's notice, but it does strike me as unlikely. It might actually be grounds for a review of the decision, should it ever become known.

I should think failure to report that type of conflict of interest to the court could cost her her medical license. On the other hand, if she was in a position to do the evaluation, she was probably also in a position to influence the recommendation of whoever replaced her. I imagine that in most jurisdictions, it's only a small pool of colleagues who know each other. Done discreetly, through a back channel, it's unlikely to be discovered or proven. Even knowing that it was <i>her</i> brother might influence a colleague to bend the recommendation in her brother's favor. So, she was pretty dumb to handle it that way. 

Edited by Latverian Diplomat

Every time they show Sparks' head henchman (I think his name is Gordon) I get a start because I see the shape of his face first and think it is Chandler from "Friends," especially if it is a low-light scene. I always think it's Chandler/Matthew Perry and then have to remind myself no, it's just "Gordon."

Late to the party, and I see he is now "Evil Chandler," which I *love*, but I kept thinking he was Quinn from Homeland, which is weird because Grandpa's name is Quinn, but then when I looked up Homeland on IMDb, I discovered Evil Chandler actor was actually Max on Homeland, who was Virgil's brother/assistant.

We only saw Grandpa have one drink, and he didn't seem drunk, so I think we just got a glimpse of his emotionally abusive parenting style--unless he was supposed to be drunk, but in that case, the search party sheriff should've booked him for DUI. Come to think of it, maybe that's why he was keeping John company in the slammer.

Edited by shapeshifter