Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Getting Frank with the Ottos

To celebrate the momentous 100th episode milestone of his podcast, Franklin invites Katie and the family to make guest appearances on his show, “Getting Frank with Franklin.” After witnessing his intrusive tactics with Taylor and the others, Katie is determined to keep her interview light and fun but is surprised when her mom, Kathryn  joins her. Meanwhile, Greg asks Lonnie to be his campaign manager to help strengthen his social media presence

Air date: 2021. february 24

The writers have been reading feedback? Acknowledging $$ of 2nd breakfast, prospects of Katy’s vlog. Loved it! Franklin had a jingle, took station breaks. Insult Cooper’s personality, but don’t you dare go after his shoes. I feel like Oliver spends the first 3/4 of every episode disrespecting Cooper. I’d like to see Taylor move on, so Trip’s work friend is a good direction. Greg is such a nice guy he has to get someone to help save his Orangina. I love Wendie Malick.

• Love 5

I loved this episode. Franklin's character could be so annoying, but the actor makes it work. His confidence is great!

Everyone emerging mildly traumatized from their interviews just got funnier as the show went on.

I have loved Tripp but Taylor needs to move on. She's (slowly) maturing. I didn't like Anna-Kat calling her a ho...Taylor did nothing wrong, yet. That was way harsh, Tai.

And Cooper creating his own future was just perfect. He'll open his fancy restaurant and maybe Oliver can be his financial investor one day, lol.

One of my favorite episodes so far.

• Love 6

Loved this episode.

It had all the characters that I love in it and none of the ones I didn't. Doris and Angela were alright in the beginning of the show but they did less and less with the characters until they only showed up in second breakfast scenes. I never cared for Doris showing up on the laptop after Covid. And Katie's new friends aren't very solid characters. I didn't care much for their interaction in the fertility heist episode.

Franklin had some good lines in this episode. I hope Cooper finds his way with his culinary talents. He wants to be a good guy. I like Taylor growing but I love Trip too. He's such a sweetheart. They just make him a little too dumb now. I like the idea of Taylor moving on but it's always so great having Trip hang around the Ottos. 

And my favorite was that Anna-Kat tried out for cheerleading even though she knew it was a long shot. She got out there and tried and doesn't have to wonder if she would've made it or not. And she had such a great attitude about trying again next year.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, floridamom said:

I wish they would get off the 'gay thing' with those boys. Can't they simply be friends with similar interests?

It's like they want to tease it without committing to it. It's kind of offensive in 2021

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

I liked it overall. 

Taylor and Trip seem to be broken up at this point, although hope full closure is in play by the end of the season, the viewers should get a goodbye to Trip.

Unfair of Franklin to call out Cooper for following Oliver around, how does being a boyfriend to your girlfriend make you a "G" stupid brat. I did like how Cooper wants to apply to his own school now, he'll get nothing from Harvard.

Wendie Mallick remains the best character as Kathryn, fight me. 

3 more episodes left, wonder how things will come to an end for the season.

• Love 3

I agree that this was a good episode. I'm just getting used to the new Anna-Kat. Even though I never could stand Lonnie before, maybe his grating personality will be a good fit as Greg's campaign manager. Getting Greg to stand up for himself should put some people in their place. With Lonnie's help the politics might get pretty dirty.😄

• Love 5

Wendie Malick and Jessica Walter? Holy guest stars Batman! Both were sublime.

The whole Franklin podcast bit was golden. 

I wish they would get off the 'gay thing' with those boys. Can't they simply be friends with similar interests?

It's like they want to tease it without committing to it. It's kind of offensive in 2021

Disagree. I like how everyone just assumes they are a couple as a matter of fact without judgment or teasing. And that neither of them are even bothered by it. They have to remind people from time to time but it hasn't caused any friction in their friendship. You'd almost expect a character like Oliver to be homophobic so it's really refreshing that he isn't.

I noticed Cooper called Greg "Mr. Otto" instead of "Dad." I wonder if maybe he only refers to Katie and Greg as "Mom and Dad" to other people but still calls them Mrs. and Mr. Otto.

• Love 6
21 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Disagree. I like how everyone just assumes they are a couple as a matter of fact without judgment or teasing. And that neither of them are even bothered by it. They have to remind people from time to time but it hasn't caused any friction in their friendship. You'd almost expect a character like Oliver to be homophobic so it's really refreshing that he isn't.

Interesting counterpoint. Those points are indeed refreshing so maybe I need to see it that way. It's just with all the gay teasing without committing from other shows (like Supernatural, though I didn't watch it), this felt like more of the same, but your viewpoint might be what they are meaning to get across

Also, I wasn't fully paying attention to the episode and re-watched it after reading about various bits here and realized how much I had missed the first time

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 3

I kept saying to myself why is Wendy Malik playing her own mother on the FaceTime call? Then I realized it was another actress who looks crazily similar. If this was supposed to be her stepmother why did they get someone with an such obvious physical likeness?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, chediavolo said:

I kept saying to myself why is Wendy Malik playing her own mother on the FaceTime call? Then I realized it was another actress who looks crazily similar. If this was supposed to be her stepmother why did they get someone with an such obvious physical likeness?

I thought the same.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Jessica Walter is pretty much the go-to Glib Grandma actress at this point. She's also only 10 years older than Wendie Malick. I don't think they look terribly similar.

I thought it was pretty funny seeing her as the grandma. Having a 10 year old mom it's no wonder that Katy's mom turned out so wild!😄

• LOL 4

Best episode in a long time. Finally someone telling it like it is to this family. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that Franklin’s frankness will not have a long term effect.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Katie’s relationship with Cooper is my favourite aspect of this show now. Katie Mixon really is a great actress, when Cooper’s father shot down the culinary school idea the look of devastation on her face was so convincing.

It was touching when he said “I love you mama” as he was leaving the restaurant. And then two scenes later we have her pushing Oliver out of the way so she could hug him, that was equal parts funny and touching.

This is family moved to a town outside of their class, who ended up basically adopting a teenager who came from money, in that sense it’s been cool seeing Katy go from resenting Cooper to loving him. 

As much as I agree with the faults of this show which have been pointed out in the posts above mine, I still enjoy it and will be devastated if it doesn’t receive a sixth season, even if the deal is sixth and final. This is feel good Television that is every bit as wholesome as it is snarky. 

Hopefully we’ll get an announcement shortly. 

• Love 1