Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Hard News

ElectricBoogaloo
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I hate it when a show with young kids forgets those kids when it's convenient.  All 3 adults went out at night and left the sleeping girls home alone?  Nope.

Actually they didn't, Kenan said "Call the sitter, let's go pay this loser a visit". Then they all piled into the car.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, lovinbob said:

Don Johnson's character is such a question mark. 

Considering he replaced Andy Garcia during the retooling, it makes you wonder how much Garcia didn't work that they felt he was the best substitute.  This isn't a knock on Johnson but he's supposed to be filling the "in law that doesn't always approve of the main character's motivations" and he seems just...there and not adding anything. 

• Love 1

Josh Chan! I must have absorbed a lot of his moves while watching Crazy Ex Girlfriend because I thought it was him right away and turns out I was right! 

There are a lot of aspects of this show I like, and I thought this was an improvement on the pilot. It still feels like there is a laugh track that has just been edited out though, its so weird. All of the quirky side characters seem like they are just waiting for the audience to burst into applause when they arrive on the set. I am undecided on whether I want to stick with this one or not, I'll give it a bit more time. 

I think Kenan is struggling as the straight man, it feels like he's holding back. Just let Kenan be Kenan already. 

• Love 5
17 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Actually they didn't, Kenan said "Call the sitter, let's go pay this loser a visit". Then they all piled into the car.

The closed captions said "Call it a situation..." and if I hadn't read the posts here before I watched it, I don't think I would have made "sitter" out of it.  Even though it would make more sense.

Nitpick:  they have the guy's name and address.  Don't they have Google?  Maybe before paying him a visit, do a little sleuthing?

Even nittier-pick:  I'm not a fan of Kenan's sideburns (if that's what they were).  The really skinny strips down the sides of his face.  Is that a style I've just missed?  They reminded me of the pictures of a person in the news recently with the hair dye dripping down his face.

Edited by SoMuchTV
I don’t think just mentioning the name of a person in the news is considered political but edited to err on the side of caution.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I missed that! It was really bothering me.

6 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Even nittier-pick:  I'm not a fan of Kenan's sideburns (if that's what they were).  The really skinny strips down the sides of his face.  Is that a style I've just missed?  They reminded me of the pictures of Rudy Guiliani with the hair dye dripping down his face.

I thought the exact same thing about them. 

--

I wish they hadn't called his character "Kenan." Why did they do that? The morning show is clearly not SNL.

• Love 1

I know this is a nitpik, but....I did not find it funny/entertaining when the whole family stole the bottles of sauce from the restaurant.  Kenan has a nice home and good job, so how fun is it to remember mom by stealing from a restaurant that might not be making much money?  Laughs galore.

Loved seeing "Josh Chan" (Crazy Ex-Girlfriend) and I would love for the actor to get a show.  He always seems so sweet.

I think the story lines still need work but hopefully it will improve.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I know this is a nitpik, but....I did not find it funny/entertaining when the whole family stole the bottles of sauce from the restaurant.  Kenan has a nice home and good job, so how fun is it to remember mom by stealing from a restaurant that might not be making much money?  Laughs galore.

In their defense, earlier when they were talking about how his wife always stole a jar of sauce when they ate there, Kenan pointed out that if the restaurant would just sell the sauce, they would have bought tons of it. I'm not justifying stealing, but if you are losing numerous bottles due to customers taking them, then maybe you should consider selling them. If you don't want to go to the trouble of officially selling bottles (which may involve a plethora of protocols - I have no idea), then at least allow people to buy extra to-go containers of sauce in the little plastic containers for like 50 cents so you won't keep losing money!

• Love 2

I’m out.  Show sucks. 

On 2/24/2021 at 5:19 PM, SoMuchTV said:

The closed captions said "Call it a situation..." and if I hadn't read the posts here before I watched it, I don't think I would have made "sitter" out of it.  Even though it would make more sense.

Nitpick:  they have the guy's name and address.  Don't they have Google?  Maybe before paying him a visit, do a little sleuthing?

Even nittier-pick:  I'm not a fan of Kenan's sideburns (if that's what they were).  The really skinny strips down the sides of his face.  Is that a style I've just missed?  They reminded me of the pictures of a person in the news recently with the hair dye dripping down his face.

Yep. First time I saw the very strange hairstyle of his on Saturday night live I thought he was going to do a Rudy Giuliani impression. How was this a thing? it looks like there’s black dye dripping down the sides of his face. 

On 2/24/2021 at 1:08 PM, mtlchick said:

Considering he replaced Andy Garcia during the retooling, it makes you wonder how much Garcia didn't work that they felt he was the best substitute.  This isn't a knock on Johnson but he's supposed to be filling the "in law that doesn't always approve of the main character's motivations" and he seems just...there and not adding anything. 

Total waste of Don Johnson. 

So far, I think Chris Redd is the best thing about this show. His lines kill me.

But...I'm not engaged yet. I liked this episode better than the pilot, but he morning show bits aren't working for me. Feels like this show is trying to be two different sitcoms - work place, and family -  with two separate casts. Some shows can kinda pull that off, but this one isn't for me, yet.

• Love 2