Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: A Big Move

• Start Topic

Okay episode. I was wondering how long it would take before Shannon got the boot. She made it to 9.5 episodes. Even though they "aren't broken up" it puts the show back to its intial premise.

The weakest part of the episode is the writing again. Of course the job they find for him is out of state, of course Shannon can't afford her bills if he moves, of course there is no houses that are a fit for Shannon, and of course Bert has to be close to Dad. They can't have one plot this season without taking everything to the Mt. Everest of tropes.

I am glad this show survived but it has been so weak this season.

• Love 4

I thought the show handled the de facto break-up smoothly. No one’s the bad guy, and the kid gets to be near his dad and extended family.

I don’t know what Shannon/ex’s financial arrangement was, but I presume it’d be like having a roommate move out. He was paying support (which she was using to help fund her half of the rent and utilities) while he was still contributing his half of the rent and utilities as a roommate would, so she’d need to replace that money somehow.

Did we always know it wasn’t Shannon’s restaurant? She’s just a chef working shifts? I feel they retconned that to make the move possible.

I don’t like the neurotic direction they’re taking Delia and Forrest mostly because it isn’t funny.

• Love 7

I knew something was coming with Shannon when I heard Natalie Zea's new show was picked up. I wonder what they had planned for her and Wade. At least the way they not quite but will eventually ended it, she has the possibility of coming back if her new show doesn't work out.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Bert and the girls really were cute, but if Shannon and Bert moved in so quickly that could have very easily gone badly. If they rushed things and broke up, the kids could get really hurt, so this is probably for the best. Shannon and Wade didn't "technically" break up, but it seems like this will be the end of Shannon and that they will end up breaking up pretty soon. Its the best way to end things, no one is the bad guy, and she was around long enough to make an impression but not so much that she gets set up as Wade's new forever love interest this early on. 

Shannon's financial situation is a bit confusing. Her ex couldn't be bringing in that much money if he was unemployed, how was she paying the bills before? Is she just going to quit her her job right now? I guess some time passed but it couldn't have been too much time.

Forrest's office cracks me up, I would watch a whole episode that's just a workcom. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7

I don't remember it being said that it was her restaurant, just that she was the chef.

Not a bad episode, but I'm getting tired of Delia.  Forrest has grown on me and I still like Ben and Michelle.

I figured they had to do something leading to a break up.  Otherwise, he's not a unicorn.

Really surprises me how much Wade's daughters actually look alike.

• Love 9

Two weeks ago, the daughters were upset because it felt like Shannon was taking their mom's place. Last week, Shannon was getting nervous because things were moving too fast and they both got squicked out because someone thought they were married.  This week, he wants to ask her to move in and she admits that she would have said yes.  Was there supposed to be a few months since the last episode? Even that would not have made sense, given that the daughters hadn't met Bert until this episode.  

On 2/18/2021 at 9:10 PM, Kiddvideo said:

I thought the show handled the de facto break-up smoothly. No one’s the bad guy, and the kid gets to be near his dad and extended family.

Even though I think the timeline was off, I agree.  The break-up made sense.  I really appreciate that they had Shannon and Wade discuss that he planned to ask her to move in and didn't go with the usually TV trope of keeping one partner in the dark

• Love 6
14 hours ago, madmax said:

I don't remember it being said that it was her restaurant, just that she was the chef.

I never got the impression that she owned the restaurant. It always sounded to me like she just worked there. Nothing she has ever said about the restaurant or her job gave any indication that she was the owner.

• Love 4

What happens to a restaurant when the chef quits? Is that an easy position to rehire for? I realize this is not really relevant to the episode, but I just wondered about it.

I think "I would have said yes to moving in" is a very different calculation when you can't pay your rent than when you can.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

What happens to a restaurant when the chef quits? Is that an easy position to rehire for? I realize this is not really relevant to the episode, but I just wondered about it.

Chefs leave their restaurants all the time so they are definitely replaceable. Since it wasn't urgent that Shannon leave immediately, I'm guessing she did the professional thing and gave at least two weeks' notice. And since she was renting her house, she probably had to give notice there as well so it's unlikely that she just packed up her entire house and left the next day.

If Shannon had quit abruptly (as in just walked out one night and never came back), it would be more of a scramble to get the other kitchen staff to cover for her until they could hire a replacement, but it's much more likely that she gave them notice so that they had some time to get a replacement. On top of that, she wasn't the only chef at that restaurant. When Wade asked her to come to dinner on Friday night, she was scheduled to work and she had someone cover for her so there's at least one other chef who works there (realistically, there are probably multiple chefs who work there since they are open for lunch and dinner seven days a week). Worst case scenario, the other chefs and/or some of the sous chefs would help cover her shifts until the restaurant found a replacement.

• Love 4

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I hated it when Wade told Shannon what SHE needed to do.  He told her that she needed to move to Asheville to be close to her family and for Bert to be near his father.  Just no.  He didn't start a conversation about it, he just told her "you need to..."  Sigh.  This may help explain why I'm single, but I find it completely unacceptable for anyone to tell another adult (without previously discussing) what they need to do.  It's one thing if they had talked about it and she asked for input, but this came completely out of the blue as noted when Shannon said she thought he was going to ask her to move in.  And, for not being broken up?  I don't buy that for a moment because no matter what one said afterwards, the fact that someone told me that I should move somewhere else would have sent a message to me that we were over.

• Love 3

Okay, so I haven't been here in a while but I am pretty surprised that people hate Shannon. Maybe I just liked her and Wade together because I was a huge Justified fan?

I'm guessing the last few episodes have been a bit apart, otherwise things would be pretty... weird with the plotting.

I also didn't like how Wade was like "you need to move to Asheville" - he should've been "Do you think you should move to Asheville for Bert's sake? If you do, I am okay with that."

• Love 1