Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E06: The New Normal

Sarah 103
  • Start Topic

Frank deals with a police captain who's losing his grip over his precinct; Danny faces backlash after a tough call he made in the field; Erin weighs the consequences of a dangerous criminal's release under new bail laws.

They managed to do four stories pretty well.

I was dissapointed with Jamie's plotline, because it seemed like a continuity error. In an earlier season he wanted more mental health professionals involved in certain 911 calls and realized that police were not trained to deal with many situations involving people with various mental health issues. It seemed really strange for Jamie to be taking a more conservative position.

Danny showing more restraint was a welcome change. 

I wished they had made it clearer in Frank's story that his problem wasn't that the captain was applying for a transfer to the suburbs. Frank's problem was that the captain was no longer doing his job and had almost mentally and physically checked out from his current job, and had been that way for months. 

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, preeya said:

They mentioned "WOKE" a few times during this episode. IMHO, the show itself is getting too WOKE.

I noticed that too...I guess I am just too old to understand why everyone/everything has to be "woke". Just understand what the rules/laws and your responsibilities are...you could be "asleep" and still know what those things are. You don't have to push your beliefs on everyone else. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. God save us from the "woke" generation!

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Love 5
18 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I noticed that too...I guess I am just too old to understand why everyone/everything has to be "woke". Just understand what the rules/laws and your responsibilities are...you could be "asleep" and still know what those things are. You don't have to push your beliefs on everyone else. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. God save us from the "woke" generation!

Sounds as if you and I are from the same generation.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, preeya said:

Almost 72 yr old clueless old lady here. Whatever the "generation" is that is pushing all their "woke" carp on us needs to grow up and get some real life experience before telling us what we should believe and do. We have been there already and done that and we have more experience behind us than they have on their baby fingers!! Sorry to rant but this whole woke $hit just really bugs me!

eta: See Mariah's thread on Sister Wives forum...she is one "woke warrior". She knows more than any of us, in her mid 20's no less.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

12 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Almost 72 yr old clueless old lady here. Whatever the "generation" is that is pushing all their "woke" carp on us needs to grow up and get some real life experience before telling us what we should believe and do. We have been there already and done that and we have more experience behind us than they have on their baby fingers!! Sorry to rant but this whole woke $hit just really bugs me!

eta: See Mariah's thread on Sister Wives forum...she is one "woke warrior". She knows more than any of us, in her mid 20's no less.

I'm a bit older, but we're on the same page. Take care.

• Love 3
(edited)
16 hours ago, preeya said:

They mentioned "WOKE" a few times during this episode. 

In the episode, the word "woke" was used in a negative context. At first, Jamie thought the program was a bad idea. It seems like Jamie thought it was just a public relations stunt. Jamie is a bit like his father in that he thinks of the big picture. Both are also practical and results driven-will this be good for the department, the people in the department, and the people who live and work in the city overall?

16 hours ago, preeya said:

IMHO, the show itself is getting too WOKE.

This question is not meant to start an argument. I am not trying to attack you, but understand your point of your view. What makes you say the show is getting too "woke?" I don't see it. Just because I don't see it, doesn't mean there isn't something that you are picking up on that I missed. 

55 minutes ago, Magnumfangirl said:

Frank was a jerk this episode.  You can't force someone to stay in a job they don't want.  

I agree with you that you can't force someone to stay in a job they don't want, but I also don't think it's right to act like a second semester senior because you have a new job lined up. The captain still had responsibilities and a job to do in New York City. The problem wasn't that captain was moving to the suburbs and had a new job lined up with the suburban police department. The problem was that the captain was still a New York City police captain and was no longer doing his job.

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 5

Honestly this episode did nothing for me.  Erin acts like a detective, not an ADA.  Not the first time she and Anthony showed up when someone was arrested.  Honestly did not think that was part of the job description.  Guess that happens when you come from a family of cops.

I did like Danny showing some restraint. 

I wonder if this will be the last season?  I'm just not feeling it anymore, but there isn't a lot of new stuff to choose from these days.

• Love 2

I honestly detested this episode. Not any particular storyline, it was just poorly executed and felt extremely disjointed, and it felt to me like the actors were just reciting their lines rather than living their characters.

Frank's coming down hard on the 51 Captain wouldn't have bothered me if we hadn't seen him generally being supportive of his men and a good leader and teacher. Frank isn't generally a hardass and this was out of character. The former captain was looking out for his family's best interests and now they're basically going to be completely screwed. He didn't get the gig in Westchester Co., and he was forced off the job in the city. He's now basically unemployable in his field pretty much everywhere in the northeast; a stiff penalty for the family of a lifetime officer given the transgression in question, and fair-and-compassionate Frank would realize that just as much as the guy's favourite tipple. I could see a demotion and a move to Staten Island or Far Rockaway but this was a bit extreme.

Also, and for quite a while now, a few of the scenes in Frank's office have had this bizzare, almost surreal air at times. Pregnant pauses, stilted or obfuscated dialog, etc. Are the writers imbibing too much "Finnerty's"?

Edited by NJRadioGuy
  • Love 6

Also, I've been meaning to mention this for a long time now, but what the hell is with the horrible HVAC background noise in the soundtrack? I've never heard this on any other show. Next time they're doing a quiet scene either in Frank's office or in an interrogation room listen carefully. You hear fan noise and room echos almost as loud as the dialog. Are they shooting this on a professional soundstage or in a converted warehouse? Has the audio team never heard of sound baffles? Noise cancelling mics? Noise gates?

I thought that the comparison of the Captain's work level to desertion in the Army during WWII was a bit grandiose. the NYPD may be the best police force in the world, but might pale in comparison to the US armed forces.

i was reminded by this episode of the season 8 episode when Frank fired the rookie cop who made a bad judgement collar against a man who was then departed - but had a a hard time in the cell due to previous torture/mistreatment.

after the officer had a moment of redemption and offered to sit with the man in his cell, Frank fired her and destroyed her police career. That officer was Rachel Whitney who Frank met in season 9 when she waited on his table in a restaurant. He reinstated her and now she is the partner of Eddie, Frank's daughter in law.

I guess Frank missed that learning moment about hasty torpedoes can be wrong in hindsight.

• Love 5

I did have trouble with what Frank did, though moreso his explanation than his actual actions. I’m not sure the writers had him explain his reasons very well. He came off wanting to punish the chief for leaving rather than for slacking at his current job while waiting to leave for his new one. And Baker needs more to do than looking pissed at Frank

Nice to see Danny can hold his fire if the situation calls for it. He’s been too much of a hothead too often

Erin seemed to be on a vendetta to get that guy even if she was right about him

i liked seeing the mental health program in action. I’ve seen a good documentary on a police mental health unit for people in mental health crisis and more of that needs to enacted around the country

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 5

Frank was an unlikeable hardass in this episode. It's been a hard year for everyone, let the guy go quietly to his new job and make a better life for his family. Frank's not a general in World War II.

Danny needs to have a boss around to keep him reined in, and the one they got for him is doing a good job.

That's all I got. 

• Love 3
On 2/8/2021 at 2:06 PM, zapper said:

I thought that the comparison of the Captain's work level to desertion in the Army during WWII was a bit grandiose. the NYPD may be the best police force in the world, but might pale in comparison to the US armed forces.

i was reminded by this episode of the season 8 episode when Frank fired the rookie cop who made a bad judgement collar against a man who was then departed - but had a a hard time in the cell due to previous torture/mistreatment.

after the officer had a moment of redemption and offered to sit with the man in his cell, Frank fired her and destroyed her police career. That officer was Rachel Whitney who Frank met in season 9 when she waited on his table in a restaurant. He reinstated her and now she is the partner of Eddie, Frank's daughter in law.

I guess Frank missed that learning moment about hasty torpedoes can be wrong in hindsight.

Spoiler

Check out the Feb 12th episode! He actually mentions Rachel as a regret

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 1

This episode made being employed by the police sound like a gang people who joined were stuck in and if they decided to leave would face unwelcome consequences unless they're a Reagan. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, DanaK said:

Regarding the title, this should be episode 6

I will be more than happy to edit the post title, but I have no idea how to do that. If you could give them the directions or a link to them, I can make the change. 

2 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I will be more than happy to edit the post title, but I have no idea how to do that. If you could give them the directions or a link to them, I can make the change. 

I let the mods know so hopefully they will fix it

• Love 1
On 2/6/2021 at 7:34 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I was dissapointed with Jamie's plotline, because it seemed like a continuity error. In an earlier season he wanted more mental health professionals involved in certain 911 calls and realized that police were not trained to deal with many situations involving people with various mental health issues. It seemed really strange for Jamie to be taking a more conservative position.

Yeah, it struck me as one of those "We need someone to voice the opposing position, whether it makes sense or not" situations. As you noted (and which occurred to me right away, as well), this is PRECISELY what Jamie not only ASKED for but was PASSIONATE about at the time. And now he's mad about it being too "woke"? What the what?

• Love 2
On 2/7/2021 at 12:06 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I also don't think it's right to act like a second semester senior because you have a new job lined up. The captain still had responsibilities and a job to do in New York City. The problem wasn't that captain was moving to the suburbs and had a new job lined up with the suburban police department. The problem was that the captain was still a New York City police captain and was no longer doing his job.

Then Frank should have called him in for that and disciplined  him for not doing his current job .... not submarine his new one.  He also should have not told Sid to play it up to discourage others from finding new jobs.  You don’t get to terrorize employees to keep them from quitting. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 2/6/2021 at 5:11 PM, Gramto6 said:

I'm a 61-year-old grandma and I agree! This "woke" shit really pisses me off. All "woke" means is that some mouthy little adolescent has something to bitch about, usually in the form of appropriating someone else's culture (about which she has NO clue). This episode was really the first time I've heard the word "woke" used on television; however, my TV choices are somewhat limited. Nevertheless, I think the "woke" generation will eventually get bored with shouting pithy, yet irrelevant slogans at a disinterested world and move on to something else. 

On 2/7/2021 at 9:44 PM, NJRadioGuy said:

Frank's coming down hard on the 51 Captain wouldn't have bothered me if we hadn't seen him generally being supportive of his men and a good leader and teacher. Frank isn't generally a hardass and this was out of character. The former captain was looking out for his family's best interests and now they're basically going to be completely screwed. He didn't get the gig in Westchester Co., and he was forced off the job in the city. He's now basically unemployable in his field pretty much everywhere in the northeast; a stiff penalty for the family of a lifetime officer given the transgression in question, and fair-and-compassionate Frank would realize that just as much as the guy's favourite tipple. I could see a demotion and a move to Staten Island or Far Rockaway but this was a bit extreme.

That really pissed me off. Frank was a total asshole to this poor guy, who was doing nothing more than trying to protect his family. I can see firing him, but torpedoing him and blacklisting him throughout the industry? If I were that guy, I'd sue the crap outta Frank and the NYPD. You just can't legally do that to an employee and Frank should know that. 

Also, I think Frank is losing his grip, making statements about stopping police officers from "deserting the job" (or words to that effect). I think at this point I'd rather have an inexperienced, yet enthusiastic rookie on the job than a burned-out, disinterested veteran who is just marking time until retirement. And, if cops who resign have a year to change their mind (as we learned in the next episode), I think Frank needs to let some of these guys leave and get their heads straight. I'm willing to bet that a lot of them will be back on the job before the year is out. They just need some time to decompress... 

40-year crush on Selleck notwithstanding, Frank Reagan is turning into a supercilious, implacable turd in his old age. Maybe it's time that he retired. 

Edited by Ebau
  • Love 1

The NYPD has a forced retirement age of 63 I think it is. I guess in Blue Bloods NYC that doesn't exist or the show wants us to believe Frank is a lot younger than he appears to be.  The forced retirement age is why Cragen was written off L&O: SVU which to me started that show's downward spiral into what it is now which I like to call "The Olivia Benson Hour" or "Olivia Benson's: SVU.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Jaded said:

The NYPD has a forced retirement age of 63 I think it is. I guess in Blue Bloods NYC that doesn't exist or the show wants us to believe Frank is a lot younger than he appears to be.  The forced retirement age is why Cragen was written off L&O: SVU which to me started that show's downward spiral into what it is now which I like to call "The Olivia Benson Hour" or "Olivia Benson's: SVU.

Frank is the PC which is an appointed position. So he is probably subject to different rules. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Jaded said:

Frank is a civilian so not subject to the mandatory retirement age, but there has been an episode that addressed the forced retirements.  The show implied that 60 ain't what it used to be and the issue should be revisited.

• Love 1

Woke implies positivity and improvement, so I’m confused why the show seemed to imply otherwise.  

Frank was horrible.  Man.....he can sure get on his high horse when he wants to.  His recent request to send Erin to deliver a message to the Governor, without officially saying it was on his behalf, seemed shady and underhanded to me, but he was fine with it.  I’ve lost respect for his character on the show.  Think I’m done.  

On 5/8/2021 at 4:31 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

His recent request to send Erin to deliver a message to the Governor, without officially saying it was on his behalf, seemed shady and underhanded to me,

I'm still a bit shocked by that. It was like watching a whole different character. 

• Love 1