Type keyword(s) to search

Nev: The Hairy One

Having only recently watched the movie, I find myself wondering what right this guy has to essentially barge into people's lives like an amateur detective.  Can't he make a living as a photographer?  Aren't the people who seek out his help able to do basic internet searches on their own?

He is calm and likeable enough, but ends up profiting from the personal stories of those who are in far worse circumstances than he is without offering too much in return...

Having only recently watched the movie, I find myself wondering what right this guy has to essentially barge into people's lives like an amateur detective.  Can't he make a living as a photographer?  Aren't the people who seek out his help able to do basic internet searches on their own?

He is calm and likeable enough, but ends up profiting from the personal stories of those who are in far worse circumstances than he is without offering too much in return...

Yeah, but then they don't get a free trip and get to be on TV.

• Love 1

I wonder what's up with Nev this season. He usually plays good cop, but this season he's been a bit different. From making fun of the way that fat Kelly Pryce spoke to throwing dude's cellphone into the water. I wonder if he's tiring of this gig or having to play the wide eyed optimist to Max's skeptical cynic.  

I wonder what's up with Nev this season. He usually plays good cop, but this season he's been a bit different. From making fun of the way that fat Kelly Pryce spoke to throwing dude's cellphone into the water. I wonder if he's tiring of this gig or having to play the wide eyed optimist to Max's skeptical cynic.  

Just thinking about that scene where Nev threw that cell phone into the water makes me smile.  

• Love 2

Just thinking about that scene where Nev threw that cell phone into the water makes me smile.  

LOL. Unbelievable! I'd never expect that coming from Nev. It didn't seem scripted at all. Probably one of the more realer moments this season.     

• Love 1

LOL. Unbelievable! I'd never expect that coming from Nev. It didn't seem scripted at all. Probably one of the more realer moments this season.     

I know right!?!??  the whole thing was just so funny, Nev was like "hey, can I see your phone for a minute?" all polite, and then quick as a flash he threw it into the water, and then Nev gave that guy a look that was like "and what? what are you gonna do about that asshole, I just threw your phone in the water, do something."  I never knew Nev had that in him.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I know right!?!??  the whole thing was just so funny, Nev was like "hey, can I see your phone for a minute?" all polite, and then quick as a flash he threw it into the water, and then Nev gave that guy a look that was like "and what? what are you gonna do about that asshole, I just threw your phone in the water, do something."  I never knew Nev had that in him.

I bet that side of him has always been there and now he's just going all out and showing it. I just remember him being so much more optimistic the first season. Really wanting people to be who they say they are but first season Nev and third season Nev feel like two different people. I'm alright with that. Even enjoy him more. The cell phone toss was a funny and real moment, and his 'I dare you to do something about it' look was the icing on the cake. LOL.

Edited by jonesingjay
  • Love 2

I bet that side of him has always been there and now he's just going all out and showing it. I just remember him being so much more optimistic the first season. Really wanting people to be who they say they are but first season Nev and third season Nev feel like two different people. I'm alright with that. Even enjoy him more. The cell phone toss was a funny and real moment, and his 'I dare you to do something about it' look was the icing on the cake. LOL.

That whole moment was priceless, and I actually liked Nev much more for it.  You're right, it felt very real, and I enjoyed that.  I mean he is always just so understanding and nice to everyone, even those people who deserve a good talking to - so to see him do that was really neat IMO.

• Love 2

Aren't the people who seek out his help able to do basic internet searches on their own?

I always wonder this...All Nev really does is do some Google searches. How have these people never Googled the name of these rando Internet people before? Especially when they've been talking for like 3 years...At no point in the past 3 years (in which you have obviously spent way too much time on the Internet) you thought to chuck this person's name into the search bar? I guess these people live in a dumb, lurky world I just don't understand. 

• Love 1

If I may be self-serving for just a moment: Nev has a book out, and I reviewed it for Slate.

I enjoyed the review. So many great lines, but the following had me laughing like a donkey.

“I was capable of so much more,” he writes of an aimless period in his early 20s. “Since I wasn’t particularly fulfilled in my work life, I overcompensated by spending my time pursuing women.” Someone, stop Nev before he starts complaining “self-deprecatingly” about how hard it is to find pants that aren’t too snug in the gusset!

Absolutely wonderful.

• Love 1

I watch Catfish for the snark value, but I would never pay to read his book. One also wonders...if he was successful with pursuing the ladies why was Megan such a big deal? Surely there were other chicks he could've had in Manhattan (or wherever movie-Catfish was based from).

• Love 2

I have to say that after hearing from an objective eyewitness how Nev punched a woman because she was trying to push him away from her and her girlfriend and then he thought he'd get away with it because his mom was a high ranking administrator at his college, I probably won't watch the show anymore. The hissy fits he sometimes throws on the show now make more sense. He an entitled brat with anger issues. It does come through a bit on the show, but I think they edit him to make him look better. Add to it all that it wouldn't have even made the news again if not for his insensitive elevator selfie.

Edited by Soobs
  • Love 1
On 9/9/2014 at 10:14 PM, RealityGal said:

was she trying to steal his man or something?

I am just getting caught up this story. From everyone who witnessed it, he was not attacked, she asked him to stop taking her photo. He kept on, she grabbed at his camera and he punched her in the face. She suffered facial injuries.

Now I will worry about his wife. Once an abuser, always an abuser. If not physically, emotionally.

• Love 2