Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: The Search for the Midnight Wraith

• Start Topic

I didn't read the books but the name bobbsey and the fact that their twins just screamed book characters.. So good intro I guess... I'm guessing maybe Gilbert might be a Potential LI for Nancy as he's a bit of a rougish thief.. I'm pretty meh on that as I still think Nick a d Nancy are the OTP... Overall really enjoyed the premiere.. Ace had some great lines as usual.. Looking fwd to the new mystery and season 

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, UnoAgain said:

I didn't read the books but the name bobbsey and the fact that their twins just screamed book characters..

I remember reading those books as a child.

The Bobbsey Twins (Nan and Bert the older ones, Freddie and Flossie the younger twins) was a series of books from Edward Stratemeyer's publishing empire like Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, Tom Swift and others. Stratemeyer's genius was creating popular series and publishing them under pseudonyms so that the writers could be interchangeable and he got to keep all the royalties.

I thought this episode was a bit of a disappointment. Too much horror and supernatural, and not enough mystery and characterization. Hopefully they'll get back to the mystery in the next episodes.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

With the introduction of The Bobbsey Twins, it makes me wonder who from the Statemeyer publishing empire will show up next. The darker and edgier Hardy Boys? Nice intro for the Bobbsey Twins, I wonder if they will be revealed to have another pair of twins for siblings as well? Now that they are going full force with George and Nick, maybe boy Bobbsey will be Nancy's new love interest? Then maybe George and Nick will feel better about telling Nancy about them. 

I thought this was a pretty good start to the season, not a whole lot of mystery but it was quite spooky with good character moments and a creepy atmosphere. Just how many ghost stories does this town have anyway? I do love how the characters are already at the point of "lets just operate on the theory that every creepy story we know is not only real, but is trying to kill us" it seems like a very reasonable response to everything that has happened. 

Nancy is now pissed at both of her dads, but even more so at Carson. I really hope they make up soon, I get why she is upset at him and she has every right to be pissed, but he is still her father, even if he isn't her bio dad and he did keep a huge secret from her. He and her late mother messed up keeping this from her, but it did seem to be from a place of love. 

• Love 7
20 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I remember reading those books as a child.

The Bobbsey Twins (Nan and Bert the older ones, Freddie and Flossie the younger twins) was a series of books from Edward Stratemeyer's publishing empire like Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, Tom Swift and others. Stratemeyer's genius was creating popular series and publishing them under pseudonyms so that the writers could be interchangeable and he got to keep all the royalties.

Thank you for posting the names so I didn't have to Google it. I remembered the younger twins were Freddie and Flossie, but I could not remember the older twins names. I did not think they were Gilbert and Amanda, but they are close.....I guess they were trying to modernize.

I don't mind some supernatural elements on this show, but I felt like this episode was all supernatural and very little mystery. The only part that seemed to show Nancy as a smart detective was when she did that trick to get the numbers from Amanda's hand imprinted on hers with hand sanitizer.

• Love 3

I originally thought the hand sanitizer bit was a nice nod to Covid.

And then Nancy showed me that I've been using hand sanitizer wrong for months now. Or at the very least, not exploiting it to its full potential.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

The hand sanitizer ploy was a little over the top, it is not like Nancy wasn't alone in the room with her and could have written down or taken a picture of the girl's hand. The police officer was not attempting to stop her from seeing the numbers, it seems like he was hoping she would solve the case for him. It might be viewed more like Nancy was destroying evidence.

Can't remember who said it, but the line about how every horror story involving Horseshoe Bay will end up actually being real, is pretty much spot-on, at this point.  Really, the biggest twist to ever happen will be if something happened that didn't involve the supernatural.  Horseshoe Bay just needs to have another regular old murder again, soon!

Not overly familiar with the source, but I figured the Bobbsey twins were significant, so it was interesting hearing about their origins above.  Their introduction into everything was fine, but I'm not sure what their involvement could lead too.  Well, except I wouldn't be surprised if Gil is being set-up as a love interest for Nancy, since they kind of seemed to be giving off vibes.

I guess they couldn't get Martin Donovan back as Mr. Hudson, since he's now being played by Andrew Airlie.  He's another one of those actors that I've seen pop up in a few things shot in Canada (Once Upon a Time, Fargo, Bates Motel, etc.)

I understand why Nancy still feels upset over everything, but I still feel bad for all of the crap Carson is getting put under.  Especially having Ryan of all people being smug with him.  Yeah, Carson isn't perfect, but at least he's better than you, dipshit.

I love Bess, but she admittedly is not good under pressure.  Although, I really can't blame her.

Still enjoy the Nick/George pairing.

Ace continues to be the best.

Can't wait to see what is in store for the Drew Crew this season!

• Like 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Still enjoy the Nick/George pairing.

I enjoy them.. But I can't get into them as a couple... And that sucks for me.. Because I've been bemoaning the lack of intra-minority interracial relationships on tv ( especially the Cw)  as they and really most shows only do white person/ minority person.... So I'm always clamoring for it,  and the CW is notorious for throwing damn near all their WOC at white men ( Legends of Tommorow being a glaring example) 

But also because I think George and Nick are just good friends with benefits.. Maybe even best friends,  but I dunno if I see them deeper than that... Nick feels like he's willing this to be more than what it is at the moment... Nancy still seems to be pining for Nick.. But her Main Character Martyr Complex won't let her just be happy... And George just feels like she wants to be in something stable... And because I still see Nick and Nancy being pulled back together... Possibly by having Nick cheat... I'm just meh on it

• Love 1
3 hours ago, UnoAgain said:

Nancy still seems to be pining for Nick.. But her Main Character Martyr Complex won't let her just be happy... 

My sense of this was more that the CW is, well, trying to CW, and doing the usual thing of teasing multiple possible relationships for the protagonist: the original and book-canon Nick; trusted friend Ace; and new character Gil.  

Nick made a point of going and holding George's hand after that little "remember how we met" thing, so I think Nick/George are safe for at least a few more episodes, CW show or no CW show.

• Love 1

I don't know why but Nancy agonizing how she doesn't know she is anymore bugged me? She's the same annoying person she was before she found out she wasn't a blood relative of the Drews. Her having the same hand tic as her biological grandfather doesn't change anything. And if she doesn't consider Carson her father anymore despite him raising her, why is he moving out of his house that he paid for and why she still driving his dead wife's car? I don't know. I think I was just in a very irritated mood while watching this.

I also didn't realize George and Nick were hiding their relationship from Nancy. She went off and had a whole other boyfriend (even if he died) and they are clearly going for her and Ace next. Be free with it guys!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I had forgotten how much I enjoy this crazy show and its group of characters. I really enjoyed the premier and I had forgotten just how hot Ace is, haha. I don't like the friction between him and Nancy though. I want those two together, ASAP.

I found it weird how there was no mention of Nancy's boyfriend dying in the finale. Maybe he'll be brought up next week. 

• Love 7

I was expecting Bess to start singing "My Favorite Things" when they were trying not to be afraid on the bus.

That forest just seems to get bigger and bigger, doesn't it?

I really feel for Carson. He and his wife BOTH chose to raise Nancy and not only has his beloved wife died but now he's dealing with the fallout of their secret by himself. I understand that Nancy is upset he kept her parentage a secret, but realistically he has loved her and raised her as his own child with no malice on his part.

Just when I thought Ryan was becoming slightly less of an ass, he had to go and be a dick to Carson. And he sealed the deal by saying "between her and I." I guess buttloads of money and a private school education still can't teach you proper pronoun usage.

When the Bobbsey twins said the mirror was the easiest $950 they'd ever made, I was waiting for the reveal that Ryan paid them to steal it and sell it to Nancy so that he could then have the charges dropped and look like he was being a nice guy.

I'm so torn. The new detective is annoying but HOT.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

Nancy still has feelings for Nick and based off what I have seen they are the OTP but  could be wrong. Last season they made Nick literally the man of her dreams and in this episode the happiest moment of her life was meeting Nick. 

And where is this Nancy and Ace shipping coming from? First it was Owen now it's Ace? Anybody but the black guy huh? lol 

Edited by mommalib
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, mommalib said:

And where is this Nancy and Ace shipping coming from?

Some ppl can't imagine a hetero guy and girl being friendly EVEN THO he was into Bess and she seems still kinda hung up on nick.. And if they do go down the Gills/ Nancy train then she'll just be that WG who seems to never date white guys... 

I’m so glad this stupid show is back!

I loved that there were some great Nancy/Ace moments in this ep. They're definitely going there this season. But then again they also seem to be testing Nancy/Gil and even Nancy/detective imo. They just seem to be throwing Nancy everywhere and seeing if anything sticks lol. Also, unfortunately for me, Nancy/Nick is almost certainly endgame which makes all of this sort of pointless. Oh well, I’ll enjoy it while I can.

• Love 1

Just getting around to season 2 of this ridiculous show now that I've checked out the DVDs from the library. I completely missed the names of the twins until someone said "The Bobbsey twins are hardcore" and even then it took me a second to realize that was their actual name, not a reference to that series existing in the Nancy Drew 'verse. 

I've loved Alex Saxon since he was the lone bright spot on Finding Carter and can't blame the show for putting anyone with Ace. He's just a great guy. 

It’s annoying me, how Nancy is treating Carson, too.  It seems like every episode, she’s angry at him for some reason.  They protected her from the family of her real father.  They did what her mother asked them to do.  

it also bugged me that one of her friends said “you want me to tell you that you aren’t like your father or grandfather, when you have us doing something dangerous” like they didn’t choose to be there??? They seem to be forgetting when she told them not to help her. She told them to stay out of it. Now they’re blaming her for their own choices? 

Edited by Anela
Typos thanks to ads affecting my typing on iPad