Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E03: Frances Francis Franny Frank

• Start Topic

Debbie loses track of Franny, while Frank and Franny have a day of weed runs and adventure; Ian and Mickey question who is the "man" in their relationship; Carl gets a new training officer; Lip and Tami help Brad and Cami with their baby.

Promo:

Original air date: 12/20/20

Ok the Carl the cop plot has hit the point where he gets everything he wants in a partner and a job but he might be posted with someone e who will foster all his worst instincts and since Gallagher’s can’t have nice things this might be the beginning of the end of that plot.

It shouldn’t have been but “who’s the woman in the relationship” between Ian and Mickey was actually kinda funny. Getting different answers from different people “You do more work for less money.  I’ve got news for you honey.  You’re the woman.”  That was my favorite.  

Frank and Franny hanging together was a lot of fun.  Again probably more fun then it should have been.    But something in the episode makes me think all the drugs of even old age in general is cause dementia in Frank.  I did like how he described being a grandfather over being a father.

• Love 5

I know I was probably supposed to find it heartwarming that Frank enjoyed his time with Franny and then convinced her to put on a dress to make Debbie happy, but Frank is a shit person and a shit parent. His excuse that kids expect things from you but grandchildren don't just made me roll my eyes. Yes, how dare your children expect you to do things like pay the rent and utilities and have enough food to eat. What demanding little monsters!

On a related note, we definitely saw the contrast between Tami's family and the Gallaghers. As Lip pointed out, her family has things of value that could be sold while his family does not.  The only real asset they have is the house and Debbie's car.

Lip was a little bit harsh with Debbie, but ultimately it was her fault for just yelling, "Can someone take Franny to school?" into a room full of people and not getting a definite confirmation from a specific person saying they would do it.

I'm glad the owner of the house saw how much work Lip had put into renovating and offered to split the cost of the supplies. Hopefully he's a good guy and isn't going to wait for Lip to fix up the rest of the house and then kick him out so he can sell it.

Ha, the Jonas Brothers song playing over the end credits was hilarious after the Joe vs. Nick argument with Ian and Mickey.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 7

Here is the thing about Debbie.   Most children learn how to be mothers from their own.  Debbie has had nothing to go by.  The closest she has had to a mother was Fiona who would lighten leave Liam with one of her siblings, including Debbie.  That one episode where Debbie took him to school with her as a show and tell project because he had a birthmark that looked like Laffia. So I can see her expecting the same rules to apply.   Should she have waited for a confirmation?  Of course but this kind of environment is what she grew up in.  And kids raised kids.   The fact that none of her brothers are able or willing to simply take Franny to school is really sad.  

Not saying Debbie is a good mother but she loves her daughter and is there.  Maybe she pushes things in the opposite direction wanting to give Franny all the things she herself lacked and forgets to ask Franny what she actually wants.   But it’s understandable.   

Lip was a little bit harsh with Debbie, but ultimately it was her fault for just yelling, "Can someone take Franny to school?" into a room full of people and not getting a definite confirmation from a specific person saying they would do it.

Liam should have known better than to leave Franny with Frank, but then Liam is not responsible for Franny nor should he be. Debbie has always been mostly insufferable IMO. She's had a few funny storylines here and there but mostly she's just a spoiled, whiny brat. Lip and Tammy have something going on that dwarfs her petty problems.

Also, the opening tag for the previouslies was not funny. Giving a little kid a bottle of beer is never cool, even as a joke.

Kevin's outfit was over the top absurd.

I'm glad the owner of the house saw how much work Lip had put into renovating and offered to split the cost of the supplies. Hopefully he's a good guy and isn't going to wait for Lip to fix up the rest of the house and then kick him out so he can sell it.

I predict that's exactly what's going to happen. Is he in the military or something? Maybe he'll be killed and his family will want to sell.

I thought the story with Frank and Franny was surprisingly sweet, and I say that as someone who grew weary of Frank's shenanigans years ago. I think the story about his father making him wear a dress put a fine point on how messed up his own childhood was.

• Love 3

I hate Tami. Who the fuck is she to expect the Gallaghers to chip in for her sister's kid?!

I know Lip has some sort of obligation because he is married to her - but more for his feelings for Brad.

If something happened to my daughter no way would I start counting my sister in law's family's assets.

Not to say she wouldn't offer - but I would never expect.

• Love 8

I hate Tami. Who the fuck is she to expect the Gallaghers to chip in for her sister's kid?!

I've known people like her who go around expecting everyone to chip in on some family emergency. I can't believe she actually asked if Debbie would sell her truck. It goes to show how self centered she is. And since when are she and her sister so close? If I recall correctly she first met Lip at her sister's wedding and was rather disparaging of her.

• Love 3
On 12/21/2020 at 5:27 AM, Chaos Theory said:

Ok the Carl the cop plot has hit the point where he gets everything he wants in a partner and a job but he might be posted with someone e who will foster all his worst instincts and since Gallagher’s can’t have nice things this might be the beginning of the end of that plot.

It shouldn’t have been but “who’s the woman in the relationship” between Ian and Mickey was actually kinda funny. Getting different answers from different people “You do more work for less money.  I’ve got news for you honey.  You’re the woman.”  That was my favorite.  

Frank and Franny hanging together was a lot of fun.  Again probably more fun then it should have been.    But something in the episode makes me think all the drugs of even old age in general is cause dementia in Frank.  I did like how he described being a grandfather over being a father.

There were a couple of times where Frank seemed lost. I agree about the dementia.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I've known people like her who go around expecting everyone to chip in on some family emergency. I can't believe she actually asked if Debbie would sell her truck. It goes to show how self centered she is. And since when are she and her sister so close? If I recall correctly she first met Lip at her sister's wedding and was rather disparaging of her.

I am guessing that Lip went along due to his boss and friend being the baby's father. Otherwise I don't understand why he is allowing Tami to run his life. For 3 episodes Lip has been missing except for his accurate comment to Debbie.

I still have no time for Frank or Debbie and still fast forward through their scenes. Even after all these years they still have no value to this show. They are beyond selfish and self absorbed and I have always thought the rest of the family was weak in allowing them in their lives.

I don't many people that would be that forgiving if they found out their 50,000 dollars went missing due to Frank and Debbie. Still can't believe the family's reaction to that.

• Love 1

I have a hard time believing Kevin would be that stupid as to drive around flashing his money roll. He has more street smarts than that.

And it’s definitely a dementia storyline for Frank which makes me sad. Frank is a horrible man but I love William H Macy’s portrayal of him. Don’t really want to see him confused and lost.

• Love 4

Agree about dementia for Frank and the utter nerve of Tami asking if the Gallagher’s would chip in. Especially Debbie’s truck. Lip is whipped. 
Can’t help but notice that Debbie’s girlfriend has the greasiest most disgusting looking hair🤮 She looks like she smells and never bathes. Also looks like she is going bald, which with the right style can be hidden.  Why do they let the actress look this unkempt? She had access to a shower and shampoo. 

• Love 1

Can’t help but notice that Debbie’s girlfriend has the greasiest most disgusting looking hair🤮 She looks like she smells and never bathes.

So does Mickey. I've never understood the attraction.

On 12/21/2020 at 12:36 PM, iMonrey said:

I thought the story with Frank and Franny was surprisingly sweet, and I say that as someone who grew weary of Frank's shenanigans years ago. I think the story about his father making him wear a dress put a fine point on how messed up his own childhood was.

Have you ever listened to some of the stories Frank has told of his childhood? The wearing a dress story is pretty tame compared to some of the stuff Frank has divulged over the years.

My big "take" from the Franny/Frank story is that Frank is going to get/ already has dementia/Alzheimer's. He will end up not knowing any of them by the end. JMO -- I am spoiler free and am just speculating.

Spoiler

With Jimmy Steve's dad dead from the COVID -- will Fiona return?

Carl's whole life has led him to be a cop in Chicago. 

• Love 1
On 12/22/2020 at 12:55 AM, chabelisaywow said:

I know Lip has some sort of obligation because he is married to her - but more for his feelings for Brad.

If something happened to my daughter no way would I start counting my sister in law's family's assets.

Are Tami and Lip married? I am thinking the only married couple is Ian and Micky

On 12/21/2020 at 10:55 PM, chabelisaywow said:

ITA - it's one thing for Tami to expect Lip to try to help, but his entire family? Uh, no. The Gallaghers have spent their entire lives just barely scraping by and trying to keep their heads above water. They certainly aren't going to take a deep dive back into abject poverty because Lip's girlfriend's sister's baby needs surgery. Maybe that's selfish, but I don't blame them. They are doing better than they were back in S1, but barely. They're really not in a position to just hand out cash. I couldn't believe that Tami asked Lip if Debbie would sell her truck.

On 12/28/2020 at 11:27 AM, chabelisaywow said:

Why can’t tami’s family sell grams house to pay for the sick baby? The house in WI that was offered for them to live in?

I hope Lip brings that up because her house would bring in more money than the Gallaghers selling everything they own. And since it's just an extra house, they might as well sell it if they need the money that badly for the baby.

• Love 1
On 12/23/2020 at 2:51 PM, Lola82 said:

I have a hard time believing Kevin would be that stupid as to drive around flashing his money roll. He has more street smarts than that.

I thought the same thing. Kevin is supposed street-smart, if not otherwise smart. It's that TV trope where they dumb down a character more and more over time to the point where you wonder how they're still alive. Last episode he supposedly couldn't do simple arithmetic after being a semi-successful business owner for several years.

This whole $65k copay thing - is that even possible? Don't insurance plans have deductibles and annual out-of-pocket maximums? Even for a crappy plan, the out-of-pocket max is around $10-12k, and deductible around $5k. Last season Tami's out-of-pocket cost for an emergency c-section and long hospital stay was a much more reasonable $3,600.

And yes, I agree, Tami is completely out of line trying to tap the other Gallaghers for money. It doesn't take a genius to see that they're barely scraping by and don't have anything to spare. I'm almost glad that Fiona's $50k is already gone, or else Tami would definitely feel entitled to it (and Lip would take her side and do something stupid to get a hold of the money).

Frannie saying she's a boy - I wonder if that's just a throwaway line or if the show ends up doing something with it before the finale.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, chocolatine said:

This whole $65k copay thing - is that even possible? Don't insurance plans have deductibles and annual out-of-pocket maximums? Even for a crappy plan, the out-of-pocket max is around $10-12k, and deductible around $5k. Last season Tami's out-of-pocket cost for an emergency c-section and long hospital stay was a much more reasonable $3,600.

This show doesn't really try to work in reality, but there is no chance that they would not qualify for an emergency medical card to cover the deductible and some additional copays. Here in Ohio, the out-of-pocket for the emergency medicaid coverage is still $700, but no, they would not have to come up with $65k for surgery.

I'm guessing it is to make the bike shop for sale and maybe Lip will buy it somehow. Like with money Frank steals before dying in a super satisfying to the viewers and hopefully very bloody way.

• Love 1

Kevin also couldn’t read until somewhere in season one or two (I think) and had Lip do his taxes and there was that things with the Svetlana outsmarting him and taking the bar for awhile so Kevin isn’t all that smart.  

He grew up in care so I get part of what people are saying.  He should have more street smarts but he also isn’t the smartest tool in the shed and is the guy who would think he should act like a baller because he wants to be one.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

Count me in with everyone saying that Tammy expecting Lip's whole family to fork over a ton of money her families medical bills was ridiculously selfish, even if she was upset and feeling desperate. Asking Lip for help? Understandable. Asking Debbie to sell her truck? Much less so. Hasn't she noticed that one of the defining aspects of the Gallaghers is that they are always hard up for cash? I have liked Tammy more this season than last, but that was a bad look. 

Frank has always done better with the kids when they're still little and cute and haven't been disappointed and screwed over by him a thousand times, so its not too surprising that he got along with Franny. It was still one of his better plots this season, and it does seem like he is getting rather forgetful. Although considering how long he has been killing his brain cells, its kind of amazing that he has been pretty together for this long. 

• Love 1

I was surprised that at one point, when Frank was reminiscing to Franny about something, that he said "oh, maybe that wasn't your mother. Maybe it was your Aunt Fiona."

Since Emmy Rossum left, they haven't mentioned her at all, including some times when it would have been very appropriate to do so. It was nice to see that she hasn't completely been forgotten.