Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Litt the Hell Up

yeswedo

Harvey attempts to stop the takeover after Sean Cahill brings Pearson Specter client Logan Sanders in to be questioned. Louis attempts to come up with a way to make a name for himself after Mike insists on playing hardball.
(edited)

Ah, the episode is not even over and it has become so predictable.  One wonders how any of these people became successful or are considered successful when they act like children and make such stupid decisions based upon emotion.

Harvey bullies Louis, Louis seeks Jessica's approval and Harvey's respect, Louis angers Harvey, Harvey bullies Louis, Louis consorts with the enemy..Jessica and Harvey are not on the same page.....and we go on and on, rinse an repeat..and no one grows or learns from the last blow up or situation.

The writers clearly hate the character of Rachel ...but oddly her story is the only one that makes sense to me.  I get that she would be attracted to him. She felt like she did not have his respect in the past, now he is back, he seems to respect her and she still has unresolved feelings about MIke's deception. It strokes her ego that he compliments her business prowness after dismissing her to his wife as "just a paralegal" and he is pursuing her.   She'll be the "bad girlfriend," but the truth is every time she meets someone or takes MIke home it makes her a liar. She is lying to her parents and herself because she feel in love with him with under  false pretenses,, and once she found out she had the choice to walk away-but still keep his secret of course!-or stick it out and constantly worry about being exposed. She chose the latter, but she can't handle it, and that is very realistic. We make choices in relationships all the time and think we can deal with it, have every intention of doing so, ,but the reality is more than we can bear. Then something else comes along and it appears to be less complicated, ,and it is tempting.  This is real life, and it is why there are so many divorces. People don't want to work at it especially when it is hard and complicated.  So I do get this. .    Why also would she trust Donna, her "friend" who was her "friend" the longest, but covered for Mike?  Donna's advice would mean zero to me right now, and I would have figured out I needed other friends to talk to about work and Mike.

Relationships are hard work and people make mistakes. MIke forgets how he treated Rachel trying to hold on to  his secret, but he can't forgive her for a kiss?  One that she is going to admit to?  His reaction to bad news is always to go off the rails( start smoking weed, sleeping with married women, etc.) not to face anything like a grown up.   He didn't even break up with everyone's favorite Jenny the "right" way.  The most grown up thing he did since the show started was to leave the firm an keep the liability away from what Harvey and Jessica built, and then he has to blow it with this deal.  He should also have had sense enough to not include Rachel's idea of a "demand" for Logan. Again, that was a business decision based on emotion and we are going to make Harvey "choose" who he wants to be friends with when millions of dollars are on the table?

They had the perfect fix to Mike not being under this terrible secret and still being able to interact with the firm, and they ruined it with this mess.

I started typing this at 8:40 and it gets worse with Louis. Of course he could not have his "moment." They had to somehow make it where he not only embarrasses himself with the deal guy about his hatred for Harvey, but now he has made a mistake with the deal?  Also is this the same person that lectured Mike about ethics?  Unbelievable!!!

I don't think I can hang in even for the clothes...only Donna had something on that I covet this week and she is usually the worst dressed.  They have messed up my Jessica love by giving her a dull boyfriend, made Louis a whiny baby, Donna insufferable and Harvey and Mike two kids squabbling on the playground.

Rachel is not the only or even the biggest problem with this show.

Edited by catrice2
  • Love 6
(edited)

How come the New York they live in has perpetual summer and sunny skies 24/7?

And Lewis, you're an awesome grown ass man. Stop seeking Harvey's apprroval for a pat on the head.

Edited by chitowngirl

I don't mind that Louis occasionally is a whiny baby, but at some point, he needs to stand up for himself. I would pay good money for Rick Hoffman to get the scene where he shoves Harvey's hypocrisy down his throat. Louis's judgment turns everything to shit? How about all the times he managed to save the day? How about his amazing billables? How about the fact that he's whipped the associates at that place into shape? And the last I checked, Louis did not try to undermine Jessica, did not have two investigations of him, one of which caused the firm to lose millions and one of which is now threatening Pearson Specter again. I wish he would have woken up and said, "I don't need this." I wish the writers could have refrained from kicking Louis when he was down. There was absolutely no need to have him be forced to do something illegal to compromise his victory.

The whole Rachel/Logan/Mike triangle...It's awful for Rachel that she either a) was too stupid to realize that the last thing she needs to do is to be alone with Logan or b) she was secretly wanting Logan to make the moves he did. I hate, hate hate the whole "Your mouth says no but your body says yes" deal so much. I can't picture why Mike didn't say "Why would I want this to be a deal-breaking term." Nor can I understand the "Let Harvey choose whether he wants to keep Logan or go with Mike as a client" deal. I guess if it were played better, it would be an interesting development for Harvey as a character -- one where he lets emotion get the better of him and he makes the absolutely suboptimal decision from a business perspective. I mean, Mike is a nice guy and all, but Logan does a billion dollars worth of business. There's no question who he should go with. But instead of a revelation for Harvey it's absolutely no drama.

And let's talk about the deal for a second. For most of this season, Mike was bitching and moaning about having given GIllis his word and about the welfare of the unnamed masses who would get shafted if a shark like Logan got his hands on the company and sold it for parts. So he's going to blow up a deal that would guarantee keeping his word to GIllis, saving these workers, etc., all because of his advice from Lady MacZane?

Rachel referring to herself as Logan's lawyer when she hasn't even (if my understanding of the timeline is correct) finished her 1L year...

Donna gave her awful advice.

I am struggling to think of up points for this episode and coming up fairly dry.

Really Louis doesn't report a felony?  Louis Litt a man who loves the law, doesn't report that the guy asked him to commit a felony, and he goes along with it?  Oh my goodness.

Next week the show's going against the premiere of Sharknado 2, after this episode and having Louis do that, I know what I'll be watching live.

• Love 1

Thanks guys for the heads up. I haven't watched in 3 weeks and I don't want to start now. They ruined the Mike/Harvey bromance, went the clichéd route with the stupid love triangle instead of have Rachel and Mike be happy, and they might have Luis go after Donna? I'm out.

(edited)

I've mentioned before how there seems to be a quota system for how many times they can use "Goddamn" in each episode, but who the hell says something like "Mike Goddamn Ross"?

They really ratcheted it up this week. "Put this on your mantel and think of me every time you Goddamn look at it." I don't mind swearing, but don' make it so Goddamned forced!

(See what I did there?.)

Edited by Lnmop
  • Love 5

After episode 5 where I felt that maybe it was getting back to what it should be Harvey/ Mike.

They had to go and make it all about Rachel again, seriously how much screen time is she getting?

I think the writers/creator felt they needed to bring in loads more guests to spice it up, just a shame they went with awful guests.

Logan ( cant be bothered looking up actors name) is just full of smugness and its very offputting.

DB Woodside is awful, the man shows no emotion in his face his tone never changes so you can't tell if he is happy, angry, sad whatever.

Amy/Sidwell are just clones of Harvey/Donna.

Neal McDonagh is not to my taste at all nor is Eric Roberts but when I would rather watch either of them rather than Rachel and her angst at choosing between 2 men you know its bad.

The writers have worked out that Rick Hoffman can make you hate Louis one minute and want to hug him the next so they keep giving him scenes like that whether they fit in or not with the story.

I can only assume that Macht/Adams have a deal in place that allows them less time on screen for other perks, I know they are listed as producers now and are both set to direct. Maybe they agreed to less lines and screen time for these things.

I started watching Suits for the snappy dialogue, the chemistry Macht and Adams have together and the clothes didn't hurt either. Now I find myself rolling my eyes at Rachel and noticing how Harvey's suits are looking a bit cheap and shiny lately.

Sorry for rambling I had to get that off my chest.

• Love 1

I was so proud of Louis for standing up to Harvey and then of course he has to say he'll do anything to make it right. I hope Donna figures it out and then Harvey can figure out a way to fix it quietly and give Louis his dignity back. Can Harvey do anything quietly? Maybe he can sell out Eric Roberts to the SEC guy while making Louis the hero.

Harvey is such a jerk, but I find that every time Harvey and Mike are going at it, I root for Harvey to crush him. I cannot stand Mike's smugness. His whole life is a lie, but he is so sanctimonious. I would say Rachel deserves better, but she is currently on my "too stupid to live" list.

• Love 2

Since when did Rachael become such a special snow flake? Last night episode was so sad. All the decisions between Harvey and Mike revolved around her. OH BARF!!!!

I loved Suits during its first season. The interaction between Mike and Harvey was great. Now Harvey is becoming a milktoast and Mike is a whiney little brat and Rachael walks around dressed and looking like a lady of the evening. WHAT HAPPENED TO MY FAVORITE SHOW??

• Love 3
(edited)

It was a nice episode, however, that last scene about "courage" was such a BS, just a silly setup for next episode drama.

The glaring difference in her stupid trust analog, is that Mike confided in her about his past before them, because he trusted her and them as couple. While her confession about her little mishap with logan, would because she feels guilty about breaking that trust and not wanting for it to backfire.

Besides, in life its all about timing, telling Mike about it know, when he is down and most vulnerable i.e. after loosing his job, with no future in horizon, failing to come through for Gillen, and being on shaky ground with most of his friends. Instead of being there for him placing trust issues between and sending his jealousy to new levels is just stupid, not courageous.

Edited by Mor
  • Love 2

As with most shows that are on for more than one year (this is season four) the story lines continue to be contrived leaving the viewers wanting what they had earlier. Chalk it up to poor writers or greedy producers, it's never the same. 

It was that way with two other USA shows, Burn Notice and White Collar. Both in the beginning were must watch TV and I gave both up about year 4.

Suits is the same way.

• Love 1

Whoever wrote this episode really, really likes the phrase “get in a room with [someone]”. Also the word “goddamn”, which was said approximately fifty thousand times. Honestly, do the writers even read their own scripts out loud?

• Love 4

What I liked about the episode:

* Louis saving Harvey's bacon on getting Forstman to sell to Logan. Louis is the Suits version of Molesley from Downton Abbey; often a piñata to be whacked with gusto.

* Mike getting gobsmacked and tossed over the side by Sidwell. Mike used to be a good character. I agree with others here that he and Harvey made the show go in Season One, and some in Season Two. Now, he's just an insufferable schmuck who got what was coming to him (am I the only one who thinks Forstman knew Mike was gonna get fired and offered him a job, knowing full well he would probably say no?)

What I didn't like about the episode:

* So, they initially telegraphed this triangle between Rachel, Logan, and Mike. It is now a cliche of a caricature of a parody of a stereotype. Like Harvey and MIke, Rachel was interesting early on. They have wrecked her character just as they have others. (FWIW, I think they have made Logan a more extreme form of Eli Loker, a character that Brendan Hines played in "Lie to Me")

* I have the answer, have Mike use his "leverage" to get rid of Logan, that'll fix it all. Oh wait, it didn't...

* Louis and his illegal win. TPTB have gone out of their way to make the audience root for and appreciate more this season. Why does it all come down to him doing something illegal just so he'll have Harvey's respect?

* Harvey, The Pearson Specter Sith Lord, being at his "young apprentice's" mercy all the time. He has become all mopey. Just once, it would be P-E-R-F-E-C-T to see him drop Mike like a rock instead of trying to patch things up. I can't decide if Gabriel Macht is getting tired of the show, but it sometimes seems like it

* "Adult Language." Each episode seems to have more of it, and a lot more "adult." I get that it's a show about a New York law firm, but still...

Suits has had a lot of good scenes this season, especially the Louis and Katrina, Louis and Donna moments. Unfortunately, if my hunch about where things are going, I see in the offing stuff that seems...mmm...trite and a bit tired.

I've mentioned before how there seems to be a quota system for how many times they can use "Goddamn" in each episode, but who the hell says something like "Mike Goddamn Ross"?

They really ratcheted it up this week. "Put this on your mantel and think of me every time you Goddamn look at it." I don't mind swearing, but don' make it so Goddamned forced!

(See what I did there?.)

I was very much wishing I was playing a drinking game! SO. FORCED.

• Love 1

* "Adult Language." Each episode seems to have more of it, and a lot more "adult."

"Goddamn" is a lot more "adult"? It's barely a curse word. If they were saying actual curses like "fucking" instead of "goddamn" or "motherfucker" in every other sentence, I could see the show pushing the limit somewhat. (Although personally I think English is laughably tame in terms of curse words in general, but that might just be me. Other languages are far, far more offensive and creative in their cursing.) Suits seems awfully childish when it uses goddamn and shit all the time, like a young child who overheard an older kid saying bad words and now has to use them in every sentence, without realizing how silly and totally nonthreatening he sounds.

• Love 1

"Goddamn" is a lot more "adult"? It's barely a curse word. If they were saying actual curses like "fucking" instead of "goddamn" or "motherfucker" in every other sentence, I could see the show pushing the limit somewhat. (Although personally I think English is laughably tame in terms of curse words in general, but that might just be me. Other languages are far, far more offensive and creative in their cursing.) Suits seems awfully childish when it uses goddamn and shit all the time, like a young child who overheard an older kid saying bad words and now has to use them in every sentence, without realizing how silly and totally nonthreatening he sounds.

Well, I don't think they can even use the milder words on network TV, so I think they're trying to be more goddamn realistic on USA. (See, I did it again!). Having worked in a professional office for decades, I can honestly say that wouldn't fly.

Oh, I goddamn know. But it just sounds so goddamn silly on Suits, like they were given a little leeway ("okay, shit and goddamn are okay") and they are running with it in spite of how goddamn stupid it is. It really ends up sounding like a drinking game.

Goddamn.

• Love 1

Why don't the goddamn writers read these goddamn boards? It would be a shitload of goddamn feedback at no cost. I guess they don't give a shit.

Goddamn it.

(No, really - tons of money could be saved from their market research budget if they just talked to us. Kind of a Lemon-Lymon thing.)

• Love 2
(edited)

Just so you know, when I put "adult language" in quotes, it is with a sense of wry sarcasm, because I don't think it's "adult." I think it 's locker-room childish, and it would be more so if the F-bomb were to become regularly used (I can see that happening, btw, as the suits behind Suits try to prop up the show--hence my reference to it being a show about a NY law firm, I would have expected it more and sooner...) But the dialogue is more than the curse words, and it comes across as more coarse than compelling. It's a sign of laziness, imo.

Edited by DeepRunner
  • Love 1
(edited)

Let's write a  script generator. Take say five characters: A, B, C, D, E:

$suits_assholes = [A, B, C, D, E];

foreach $suits_assholes {

if (!betrayed_lately){

$betrayed = yes;

}

}

It could also insert "goddam" every tenth word.

This show sucks now. The law firm of Groundhog and Day. Remember when this show had wit? Remember Mike's cool eidetic memory? He is better off fired. He should be a bike messenger and a fun clever street guy. They act like it's all tragic but it's good that he lost that shit job as an investment banker.

Betray betray betray betray. You goddam betrayed me! No, you goddam betrayed me! You're goddam fired! How can I ever goddam trust you again! Going to the betray well too often. The betraymeister, swinging dicks, making goddams.

How about they work together as if they you know, worked in the same law firm? Defending say, clients in say, court? Doing investigations! Hey what an idea! Mike could be the pizza delivery guy and spy on people from the bushes. Louis would be the one who ordered the anchovy and pineapple, and Harvey would go Louis, you crazy nut!

The writers blow.

Edited by fauntleroy
  • Love 2

Before I diss the current version of Suits let me say even in its current state it's still better than 90% of the pablum that TV gives us with mind numbing reality shows and drivel being passed off TV fare.

1. Give me back Louis "meaner than a junkyard dog" Litt. The current version still has some legal chops but he's turned in to a blithering fool with personal relationships.

2. The profanity I could care less about. Most of the real world conversations are laced with profanity.

3. The sexual tension between Mike and Rachel was good. They ruined it when they let them cohabitant.

4. I think I'm good at following TV plots but this weeks show was as convoluted and confusing as any I viewed in quite some time. I'd go back and watch but that would be an hour I'd never get back.

5. I love the Donna and Jessica characters.

I hate Rachel. She was a little bearable last season, but she's gone back to being terrible this season. 

And this season or this break had BETTER not end with Louis Litt going to jail. Also, Jessica broke her own rules hooking up with a subordinate, and she's now having to pay the price. For once I wish Jessica could get something right !!

• Love 1

I have comments re the cursing. I've viewed the last couple episodes on the repeated version on Sat mornings and what confuses me is which words USA (FCC?) decides to bleep. The only words bleeped were "Shit" and "Bull shit". I would have thought that "goddam" and "fuck" would be the victims.  The first is a sensitive thing for many religious followers as it take God's name in vain and the F word is just kind of harsh at times.   Why can't censors just dub in just plain "damn"  or "freakin'" ? When I have the TV on and happen to look away and just hear the dialog I have to look up because I think something's wrong with the sound. 

I have no issue with so called foul language but bleeping out words is just distracting. While I'm not a big fan of rap/hip hop that uses certain words, I absolutely hate watching videos with the bleeping. It's a distraction.

I'm with you CaptainCranky. I gave up on Burn Notice and White Collar and I have been feeling like I might want to drop this as well.

Louis is the only character that still really interests me. I do enjoy his moments with Donna, Rachel and the blonde whose name escapes me. They all seem to understand him in ways Harvey and Jessica don't. 

BTW, I think Eric Roberts looks great. Boy did he fuck up his movie career. Always thought he was a very good actor. 

cranston, I'm no expert and I can't give specifics but if I recall correctly he had issues with substance abuse and bad behavior. First he's all over the place and then you can't find him doing a single credible film. He's done lots of not so special films and some tv but not much else that I am aware of. Still, I like him and always have. I used to have a real hope of him and Mickey Roarke being the biggest stars on the planet but they both dashed my hopes. I really wanted them to be the next DeNiro/Pacino combo. 

Supposedly he has never had a good relationship with Julia so maybe that had something to do with it but I doubt it.

If I'm giving false info by all means anyone, please enlighten me. It's been so long since I've read anything about Roberts.  

First he's all over the place and then you can't find him doing a single credible film. He's done lots of not so special films and some tv but not much else that I am aware of. Still, I like him and always have.

Not a single credible film?  He was in Best of the Best, and I liked that movie.

Before I diss the current version of Suits let me say even in its current state it's still better than 90% of the pablum that TV gives us with mind numbing reality shows and drivel being passed off TV fare.

1. Give me back Louis "meaner than a junkyard dog" Litt. The current version still has some legal chops but he's turned in to a blithering fool with personal relationships.

2. The profanity I could care less about. Most of the real world conversations are laced with profanity.

3. The sexual tension between Mike and Rachel was good. They ruined it when they let them cohabitant.

4. I think I'm good at following TV plots but this weeks show was as convoluted and confusing as any I viewed in quite some time. I'd go back and watch but that would be an hour I'd never get back.

5. I love the Donna and Jessica characters.

This all day everydaya! I have no idea what is going on. This season or 1/2 season is about as bad as the Ava Hessington season. Then they brought it back with the second half of season 3. 

The whole Rachel cheating thing is annoying. They could have at least had them break up because of school why does she have to be cheater because heaven forbid there be a happy couple on any show so the audience can root for them. Even Harvey had someone (I wasn't a huge fan of Scotty but still). They should bring Back Macht's wife. That was cute.

They need to go back to season 1. I loved this show. Now, not so much.

Jediknight, was that a kind of martial arts type  film? Not sure. I think I recall it having decent reviews. As I  said before, I'm not claiming to have seen lots of his films after  Pope of Greenwich Village, Star 80 (scary good.) Runaway Train and others. I guess one could say he became a bit of a character actor in a sense rather than the big STAR he was supposed to be.

Maybe I was a bit harsh in my assessment but again, I think it was because I had very high hopes for him. Maybe I need an attitude adjustment. I wish he'd do more movies. 

Cheers. 

On ‎24‎.‎7‎.‎2014 at 5:13 AM, catrice2 said:

The writers clearly hate the character of Rachel ...but oddly her story is the only one that makes sense to me.  I get that she would be attracted to him. She felt like she did not have his respect in the past, now he is back, he seems to respect her and she still has unresolved feelings about MIke's deception. It strokes her ego that he compliments her business prowness after dismissing her to his wife as "just a paralegal" and he is pursuing her.   She'll be the "bad girlfriend," but the truth is every time she meets someone or takes MIke home it makes her a liar. She is lying to her parents and herself because she feel in love with him with under  false pretenses,, and once she found out she had the choice to walk away-but still keep his secret of course!-or stick it out and constantly worry about being exposed. She chose the latter, but she can't handle it, and that is very realistic. We make choices in relationships all the time and think we can deal with it, have every intention of doing so, ,but the reality is more than we can bear. Then something else comes along and it appears to be less complicated, ,and it is tempting.  This is real life, and it is why there are so many divorces. People don't want to work at it especially when it is hard and complicated.  So I do get this. .    Why also would she trust Donna, her "friend" who was her "friend" the longest, but covered for Mike?  Donna's advice would mean zero to me right now, and I would have figured out I needed other friends to talk to about work and Mike.

Relationships are hard work and people make mistakes. MIke forgets how he treated Rachel trying to hold on to  his secret, but he can't forgive her for a kiss?  One that she is going to admit to?  His reaction to bad news is always to go off the rails( start smoking weed, sleeping with married women, etc.) not to face anything like a grown up.   He didn't even break up with everyone's favorite Jenny the "right" way.  The most grown up thing he did since the show started was to leave the firm an keep the liability away from what Harvey and Jessica built, and then he has to blow it with this deal.  He should also have had sense enough to not include Rachel's idea of a "demand" for Logan. Again, that was a business decision based on emotion and we are going to make Harvey "choose" who he wants to be friends with when millions of dollars are on the table?

A very good analysis. 

It seems that Rachel's heart always wins her head. She was angry at Mike when she discoved his secret but then they made sex. After that she hesitated and asked him to resign and when he didn't she was disappointed. When he told her "all", they had again sex and they were a couple.

After that she seems never have pondered whether her relationship with Mike is good for her or not. Of course, going to Stanford was a try, but she dropped it to be near of Mike.