Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: The Old Man And The Key

Ingrid prepares to move out; Freya tracks down Killian; Dash plots revenge when he discovers the identity of his blackmailer; Wendy and Joanna follow Frederick to discover his motives for reconnecting with the family.

Joanna is acting like an idiot. The son is shady as fuck. Wendy is still my favorite so far partly because she easily sees through him and his lies. Even if the son doesn't end up being an actual bad guy, Joanna is far too forgiving and easily buying his story. 

I feel a little bad for Dash. I'd like to see more of Dash and Killian as actual brothers with a strong relationship instead of the tired, old Freya fighting crap.

Ingrid keeps upping the ante of "doing crazy shit." Helping Dash dispose of a body? Girl, are you fucked in the head? Oh wait, you kind of were.

• Love 6

Freya - NO ONE CARES! Did anyone else get this weird sexy vibe when Killian and Dash were walking towards each other before hugging? I said out loud, "Kiss him." before my brain said, "Da fuq?" So Ingrid is getting sketchy and I think it is not a coincidence that it is with a Gardiner boy. We saw how freaky she got with Dash's grandpa... I have no idea who the actor they got for the Asgard king guy but he was decent - just campy enough and with an odd accent. I kinda hope Frederick isn't a bad guy or if he is, it's a mind control thing. 

• Love 1

Grandpa Beauchamp (Odin?) is/was veteran heavy Steven Berkoff, perhaps most famously the Russian colonel in Rambo: First Blood Part II.  I found that awesomely appropriate.  But my brain kept drifting towards Doctor Who and Rassilon and Gallifrey whenever Frederick and Joanna started talking about Bizarro Asgard, let alone the flashbacks...

OTOH, Joanna totally Luke Skywalkered her dad.  That more than made up for her weekly lie (the mystery door), and it was counterbalanced by Victor being snatched by what now has to be Mr. Tentacle--Grandpa B.'s "Hunter," as Frederick put it.  It doesn't mean Frederick is completely off the hook, just that he's not that guy.

Freya, Killian, and Eva the owl (who never passed up a chance to demonstrate that she had Freya's man on lock)...other than still wondering what Eva's endgame is, I'm still over this version of the Triangle of Doom.  That said, Jenna Dewan Tatum did pretty well in this episode...and it continued to illustrate how mundane her story is compared to Ingrid's.

As for Ingrid, Electro/Dash the witch--er, warlock--and Dash's stupid-ass blackmailer (man, have you never watched TV?--never threaten your victim in their own home!)...girlfriend helped him hide a body.  And she's going to help him figure out his powers.  What'd I say last week?  The weirdest shit!

• Love 1
Grandpa Beauchamp (Odin?) is/was veteran heavy Steven Berkoff, perhaps most famously the Russian colonel in Rambo: First Blood Part II.  I found that awesomely appropriate.

I immediately recognized him from his voice -- he played Victor Maitland, the rich bad guy in Beverly Hills Cop 1.

• Love 1

"Joanna Beauchamp Stupidity Alert"!  Yes!

And after rewatching the scenes with Wendy chopping off King Rassilon's hand (it was brief and jump-cut-ed, but it was indeed Wendy) and Victor's epic Planet of the Apes Charlton Heston hair, I'm wondering if the show may be contradicting itself slightly.  In this episode Joanna and company are fleeing to East End from whatever the bleep they did in Bizarro Asgard, but IIRC Joanna said at one point back in S1 that they had been exiled to the mortal realm on top of the curse.  It could just be a contextual thing, I suppose, but it stuck out.

• Love 1

First time around I thought it was Joanna too with the chopping, but she was the one who ran up after that to grab Frederick to keep him from going back to B.A.  And, in retrospect, if anybody was going to Luke Skywalker their parents it'd be Wendy (and, at the rate she's going, Ingrid).

An unrelated thought: what if Eva is one of King Ras's hunters?  It'd be overkill, assuming they don't swerve us with Mr. Tentacle, but there's room for it--Rassilon is/was all about making his kids suffer for their whateverthefucktheydid (foment rebellion, I guess?), but not directly.  Eva taking Killian and throwing it in Freya's face every single chance she got is a lesser variety of suffering, but perhaps it still counts (though then you get back to the question of how Eva knew or found Killian in the first place, but *handwave*).

in retrospect, if anybody was going to Luke Skywalker their parents it'd be Wendy (and, at the rate she's going, Ingrid).

I, myself, was going to say that at the rate Ingrid is going, it isn't going to be long before Wendy is going to have to kill her again.

It's a good thing for Ingrid that they don't retain memories of their past lives because I think Freya would be pissed. I'm beginning to suspect that it's always Ingrid's fault each time they die.

• Love 3

I'm beginning to suspect that it's always Ingrid's fault each time they die.

There's at least one time when that wasn't true - when Past Freya died in the 1906 earthquake.

No that WAS Ingrid's fault because she'd just gotten herself killed by Wendy. Joanna said they'd always die within a week of each other. Cue earthquake.

• Love 2
Freya - NO ONE CARES! Did anyone else get this weird sexy vibe when Killian and Dash were walking towards each other before hugging? I said out loud, "Kiss him." before my brain said, "Da fuq?

You aren't alone.  The way the actors played it, it very much felt like Dash and Killian were going to kiss.  It's like Freya and Ingrid's sexual chemistry last week with their brother. 

I'm just curious how old Ingrid and Freya are supposed to be.  Both look late 20s/early 30s, so it feels like Ingrid is 5 to 10 years late with her whole "I need to move out of the house storyline." 

(edited)

I feel like this show doesn't even make sense anymore.  I still hate Ingrid, she does stupid things all the time.  All. the. time.  When her and Dash were on my screen I feel like my head was going to explode because they are both so stupid.  I don't even know what happened really because I fast forwarded whenever the two of them popped up.  Shut up Dash!  I'm surprised his one night stand hung around for his whole conversation to himself.  He couldn't even pretend he was on the phone.  I woulda been out of there.

Shut up Joanna!  I see where Ingrid gets her stupidity from.  She lies about everything, even stuff that doesn't matter like the door in the closet.  What could it possibly be that two grown adult witches can't handle.  Stop lying all the time.  I can't wait for the whole Frederick thing to blow up in her face.  I hope they don't kill Victor he's barely on the show but he is the one of the only people I like on this show besides Wendy and Freya.

Freya is my favorite.  She has common sense and she doesn't lie or do stupid things.  Killian married Eva really?  He didn't find it at all strange they he got over Freya so quickly?  A girl he was willing to steal from his own brother?  Why didn't Freya do a spell to make sure he wasn't ensorcelled?  She knew that he was in danger, spent her life savings to get there and she just took his new marriage to Eva like a chump.  Man, Eva moves fast.  I thought maybe she was going to kill Killian for his powers but she didn't.  It makes me wonder what she's up to.

No one uses magic enough on this show.  Maybe I'm used to witches being like the Charmed Ones who used magic a little too much but I haven't really seen Ingird or Freya using their powers and when they do it's either ineffective, lame, or weak.  It kind of makes me wonder why are they are even witches in the first place?

I wish the show were about Freya, Wendy and Victor.  That would be a great show.

Edited by blugirlami21
  • Love 1

Did anyone else notice that Wendy's necklace used to be blue before the King cast his curse -- and then the gem in the necklace turned green ? 

They established last season that her necklace was tied to her curse.  It was green at the start of season and then turned red after her last "death."  Joanna reacted to the sight of it and said that it meant she was on her last life.

I did notice that, though what was the point of Wendy wearing it when it was blue? Did she shapeshift into a different animal before? A gerbil?

They established last season that her necklace was tied to her curse.  It was green at the start of season and then turned red after her last "death."  Joanna reacted to the sight of it and said that it meant she was on her last life.

I knew about the fact that it's now red, but how would Joanna know that ?  Is there a manual somewhere in Bizarro Asgard that says that if you curse a blue gem it turns green and the owner only gets 9 lives.  If the gem in the necklace was originally blue, does it change to other colours with different curses ?  What would it take for the gem to turn plaid ?  Is the turning into a cat as a power also part of the curse, because having 9 lives seems REALLY convenient as a cat ?

I like @kariyaki's idea of Wendy turning into other animals -- like a wolf or a raven, or maybe something more mythic, like a griffin. 

• Love 1

I knew about the fact that it's now red, but how would Joanna know that ?  Is there a manual somewhere in Bizarro Asgard that says that if you curse a blue gem it turns green and the owner only gets 9 lives.  If the gem in the necklace was originally blue, does it change to other colours with different curses ?  What would it take for the gem to turn plaid ?  Is the turning into a cat as a power also part of the curse, because having 9 lives seems REALLY convenient as a cat ?

I like @kariyaki's idea of Wendy turning into other animals -- like a wolf or a raven, or maybe something more mythic, like a griffin. 

What they do and do not know about magic generally seems to be a the whim of the writers. I really don't get how they understand the parameters of any of the curses considering The King didn't actually say anything to them when he cursed them other then that they were cursed.... full stop.

I also like the idea of changing into different animas. 

What they do and do not know about magic generally seems to be a the whim of the writers. I really don't get how they understand the parameters of any of the curses considering The King didn't actually say anything to them when he cursed them other then that they were cursed.... full stop.

That's the beauty and... the curse (if you will) of this show. They have neat ideas and concepts but they're written so half-assed that everything begs a thousand questions that won't get answered. If they would just use their WHOLE ass, it wouldn't be so embarrassing to tell people what I'm watching on Sunday nights. (I lie and say I'm reading.)

• Love 1

Is it my imagination or did nothing really happen this episode? Dash got rid of his blackmailer which was strange because they set up this whole entire story with the blackmailer, & then just got rid of him. What was the point of that storyline? 

The blackmailer was himself a deus ex machina designed to get the character of Dash to a certain point in the shortest time possible. And Ingrid too, I guess.

What I don't get is why Dash is (apparently) sleeping in the attic. That is the attic, right? Where he was in bed with some random townie? Where he got up out of bed to talk to imaginary Killian? And where the blackmailer was waiting for him? Which . . . again . . . why would the blackmailer be waiting for him up in the attic? That house is a mansion, what the hell is everyone doing up in the attic? 

The costumes they were wearing in the flashbacks were just so hilarious I'm going to pretend I didn't see that. But, that spot in the forest where they all came through the portal - is that where the Gardiner mansion was eventually built? Because the portal is in their basement now, and at the time they came through it, the portal was above ground, not under it.

I didn't like the part where Wendy was able to bring the dead guy back to life - this ain't Pushing Daisies.

• Love 2

What I don't get is why Dash is (apparently) sleeping in the attic. That is the attic, right? Where he was in bed with some random townie? Where he got up out of bed to talk to imaginary Killian? And where the blackmailer was waiting for him? Which . . . again . . . why would the blackmailer be waiting for him up in the attic? That house is a mansion, what the hell is everyone doing up in the attic?

They haven't even tried to explain that away, AFAIK.  I think the idea is that Dash retreated to that dark, spooky attic--which has its own fireplace?!?--in keeping with his dark, brooding new (temporary?) demeanor, but there's been nothing to up and confirm that.  And yeah--considering it's the frigging Stately Luthor Manor, there are a lot of rooms our stupid blackmailer could have hung out in waiting for him to come home.  And yet he chose the attic.  A throwaway line from Dash's one-night stand to the extent of "Hey, why'd you bring me up here?" would have probably scored this a pass, but no...

I can't remember, were we ever told what Victor's curse was?  He seems to be immortal or close to it.

I don't care if greasy brother is under a spell, when he was all, "Oh, I hope my begging you to leave my brother at the alter wasn't the reason you left my brother at the alter since I now realize it wasn't about YOU"  -- -- I just wanted to punch him in the face. I don't usually like Freya but she's growing on me and I think she showed some nice restraint.

I still think Kendra owl is going to steal greasy's powers.  Maybe she wants to wait and get 2 brothers for the price of one.

On a shallow note, I love Wendy but I wish they wouldn't make her hair so dark, it's almost too harsh for her.  When she had it a medium-dark brown I thought it looked stunning but with the dark brown-black color I don't think it is as flattering.

• Love 1

I think the idea is that Dash retreated to that dark, spooky attic--which has its own fireplace?!?

If the house is old enough the servants' quarters may have been up in the attic at one time, which would explain the fireplace. It doesn't explain why the hell Dash is sleeping up there though. The first time we saw him up there it seemed like he was trying to practice using his powers, so I could buy he wanted to go somewhere where nobody would see him (like maybe the servants). I don't get why the hell he'd bring some one-night stand up there though or why the hell the blackmailer went up there, called him on his phone and asked him to meet him up there.

I can't remember, were we ever told what Victor's curse was?

No. If I had to guess, it's the same as Joanna's - just plain ordinary immortality. I don't understand why Joanna got immortality and Wendy got a limited number of lives though. Clearly the writers just thought these two things were kind of cool concepts but there's no logic behind why one is cursed one way and the other another way.

I can't remember, were we ever told what Victor's curse was?

No. If I had to guess, it's the same as Joanna's - just plain ordinary immortality. I don't understand why Joanna got immortality and Wendy got a limited number of lives though. Clearly the writers just thought these two things were kind of cool concepts but there's no logic behind why one is cursed one way and the other another way.

According to the retcon/flashback in this episode, Wendy, Joanna, Ingrid, Freya and Victor were all adults when Bizarro Asgard king cursed them all at the same time -- so that makes it really weird that they wouldn't all have the same curse.

Wendy -- 9 lives

Joanna/Victor -- immortality

Ingrid/Freya -- both of them suffer from the same 'die, rinse, repeat' syndrome.  Are they reborn as babies and that's why they have no memory of their previous lives ?  And both usually die within a week of each other.

Were they all witches BEFORE coming through the portal, or is that a side-effect of being cursed ?

How did Dash/Killian get their powers ?  Did they come through the portal as well, also cursed by the king ?  Do they have the same type of curse as Ingrid/Freya ?

I like the show, but it really overdoes it with characters constantly not communicating and hiding secrets.  They let Dash run around with powers not knowing what he was doing for no good reason.

And the magic and their powers are never clearly defined.  They do this so they can pull a power or powers or spell to solve any situation.

• Love 1

The show's seemed to try for vague "themes" for each character, but they've indeed left them pretty vague apart from Dash (physical/energy), Killian (mental/telepathic) and to a lesser extent Wendy (potions/symbols/Tarot cards).

According to the retcon/flashback in this episode, Wendy, Joanna, Ingrid, Freya and Victor were all adults when Bizarro Asgard king cursed them all at the same time -- so that makes it really weird that they wouldn't all have the same curse.

Wendy -- 9 lives

Ingrid/Freya -- both of them suffer from the same 'die, rinse, repeat' syndrome.  Are they reborn as babies and that's why they have no memory of their previous lives ?  And both usually die within a week of each other.

Were they all witches BEFORE coming through the portal, or is that a side-effect of being cursed ?

How did Dash/Killian get their powers ?  Did they come through the portal as well, also cursed by the king ?  Do they have the same type of curse as Ingrid/Freya ?

In order: to clarify, if I remember the series pilot correctly...Ingrid and Freya's part of the curse is to die at or around the age of thirty.  Joanna's is both some sort of limited immortality (this might simply be standard witch lifespan stuff, though; they've implied she can be killed, and the poisoning earlier this season backs that up) and that, upon Ingrid and Freya's deaths, she immediately becomes pregnant with twin girls and the cycle resets so she can watch them grow up and die all over again.  I'm inclined to think that Wendy may have/have had the same limited immortality, complicated by the nine-lives aspect, and Victor probably does as well.

Taking the flashbacks in this episode at face value, everybody was fully witched up for the initial exodus from Bizarro Asgard.  And as per the couple of previous flashbacks to earlier-than-current iterations of the Beauchamp clan we got last season, Ingrid and Freya have both been variably aware of their magical powers in various lives.

As for Dash and Killian: it appears that they're both locals, so to speak, but at least one of them has existed in a previous life (Killian).  Their mother, Penelope, "appropriated" their magical powers when they were children--and much later on she did the same thing to Freya in order to power up to go after Joanna, who killed her father back in 1906.  (Ingrid weird shit alert: the 1906 version of her was involved with the guy, who was basically a cultist of the blood-and-orgy variety.)  When Penelope died in the first-season finale, the hijacked powers returned to their original hosts.

• Love 1
And the magic and their powers are never clearly defined.  They do this so they can pull a power or powers or spell to solve any situation.

They all are cursed with the power of inconsistency by the show's writers.

As for Dash and Killian: it appears that they're both locals, so to speak, but at least one of them has existed in a previous life (Killian).

That's why I thought that there's more to Dash/Killian than just being locals, because of that flashback -- makes me think that Killian was reborn a la Ingrid/Freya.  Which would also mean that their mother, Penelope, may be back as well at some point.

Ingrid weird shit alert: the 1906 version of her was involved with the guy, who was basically a cultist of the blood-and-orgy variety.

Which explains why the tentacle porn isn't much of a stretch from what she did back in the good old days.

When Penelope died in the first-season finale, the hijacked powers returned to their original hosts.

I'm a little confused about Penelope.  Didn't she burn up in a furnace at the end of the first season?  How is it that people think she committed suicide?  And why exactly would they believe they she burned herself inside a furnace to do so?  It just struck me as odd that Dash seemed kind of "meh" about the whole thing, when the reality would be just devastating.     

upon Ingrid and Freya's deaths, she immediately becomes pregnant with twin girls and the cycle resets so she can watch them grow up and die all over again.

Not twin girls. Ingrid first, then Freya. And I don't think it's immediate, I think a few years go by before the first pregnancy kicks in.

In the pilot episode, if I recall correctly, we actually see Joanna plump up while standing somewhere (Ingrid and Freya's gravesite?..figures that I can't find the damn video now) in a flashback.  So if it's not immediate, it's extremely close to it.

Wendy -- 9 lives

Spoiler from the books 

They all (including Dash who is named Bran in the books & Killian) had powers first because they are gods. They were kicked out of Asgard & told they couldn't use magic because of something Freddie & Killian did, & they all remember everything including Ingrid & Freya. Wendy is hardly in the books, & I don't remember what her name is.

• Love 1

A scene I would have liked to see was Freya telling Killian the TRUTH: Of course I called off my wedding for you! I hunted you down in Santo Domingo, didn't I? What kind of "soulmate" marries someone else ONE WEEK after running away? Hey Ava, YES there is history. The dude you just impromptu married was calling me his soulmate as of last week.

Let's air this out and watch that develop!

• Love 3