Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Deeds Not Words

• Start Topic

Ha.  I quite like it but I have been accused of being soulless before. 😉  

I thought this episode had some interesting depth to it of things that will come to a head.  Eliza, for one, dealing with the fact that she does often have to wait to be hired by men and what she'll do when she finds out that the Duke paid off Moses. 

But one phrase I wish they'd retire from shows about the early days of women's rights is "oh I'd rather just leave that complicated stuff to men" or some version of it as her housekeeper said in this episode.  There have to be more clever ways of saying it rather than stating it outright. 

• Love 5

I wanted Moses to sock the Duke in the face so badly during that scene. 

The Duke's boss (?) seems like such a wonderful fella /s

😕

This show is still kinda so-so. I'm enjoying it for the most part, but i still feel like it's a step down in quality compared to other shows for some reason. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, mmccpp said:

This is a grossly soulless and valueless piece of stupidity.  I am offended that they think I am stupid enough to find this crap interesting.

Must be something wrong with me because I am seriously loving this show — LOL. 

• Like 1
  • Love 14

I didn’t like this episode as much as the last two, but I did absolutely love Eliza teaching the housekeeper her letters at the end of the episode. However I’m more shocked she didn’t try to do that as pre-teen. 

Moses isn’t a chump, he’s not intimidated by the Duke in the slightest. We only get six episodes this season, likely we won’t get too much time developing a relationship between them. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
59 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Moses isn’t a chump, he’s not intimidated by the Duke in the slightest. We only get six episodes this season, likely we won’t get too much time developing a relationship between them. 

I really liked the scene between the two. Moses definitely is not a chump, and I feel this episode showed that Duke isn’t a chump, either. Can’t wait to see both of these characters butt heads again. This episode really cemented for me that Duke is a very capable police officer that earned the position he is in — and strong enough (dare I say menacing) to tangle with some really serious criminals.  And I liked how he and Eliza where both right in the end.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Driad said:

This episode was tedious and repetitive, with almost everyone criticizing Eliza. Maybe she will get a woman client soon?

Pinkerton hired its first female detective, Kate Warne, in 1856. Wellington might have heard of her.

I liked it but not as much as the first two. I also didn't quite get into All Creatures.... so maybe it was my mood last night. 

I had never heard of Kate Warne until I picked up the book, Girl in Disguise by Greer Macallister. 

Not as quite as good as the last few episodes, but it was interesting in how it kept looking at the difficulties Eliza is dealing with, being a female investigator. I also think its interesting that Eliza and Duke were both kind of right and both kind of wrong. The ending was my favorite part, with Eliza teaching her housekeeper to read. 

The scene between Duke and Moses was intense, neither of them were even close to backing down. 

Next week looks like it could be really interesting!

• Love 1

I'm enjoying this show, but this was not my favorite episode.  If you're interested in Kate Warne, she already got the TV treatment.  The Pinkertons aired for one season in 2014-2015.  It's not a great show, but it's worth a watch if you can find it streaming somewhere.  It was on Netflix, but it's gone now.

• Love 2
On 2/1/2021 at 10:00 AM, Driad said:

Pinkerton hired its first female detective, Kate Warne, in 1856. Wellington might have heard of her.

I think this show is supposed to be an alternative reality—Eliza is being billed as “London’s First Female Detective,” so I guess Kate Warne doesn’t exist in this world. (As a side note, I tried to watch the Pinkerton show on Netflix. It was pretty bad — something really low production budget about it. I stopped watching after one episode.)

I actually liked how this episode changed things up a bit regarding Eliza’s “cases.” I was a tad concerned that there was just going to be a formula for every episode with Eliza finding an odd case here and there to solve. I really liked that this episode switched things up a bit with Duke officially (but really unofficially) hiring her. I enjoyed Duke and Eliza navigating a more official working relationship. While I really enjoyed the Duke/Moses scene, I found the Duke/Eliza scene in the office after Duke found out that Eliza had withheld the info about Marget from him equally intense. Up until then, it appeared that Duke would let Eliza kinda walk all over him (all she needed to do is bat her eyes at him). His hurt from her lack of trust in him (especially after he really included her in the investigation, even to the point of allowing her to question witnesses at the police station) was palpable to me.

As a side note, it appears that Duke must of had a talking to with PC Honeychurch, as Eliza was able to threaten him with Duke reassigning him to Cornwall if he didn’t stop undermining her interrogation. 

Also, it also appears that Duke knew Moses was the “associate” Eliza referred to that helped her get the info on Marget’s brother. He definitely knew who Moses was when Moses and Duke had their run in. Duke admitted  to Eliza in the last episode that he had someone spying on her — my guess is that it is the street boy from episode one.

• Love 1
On 2/4/2021 at 8:27 AM, Nolefan said:

I think this show is supposed to be an alternative reality—Eliza is being billed as “London’s First Female Detective,” so I guess Kate Warne doesn’t exist in this world. 

Technically she could still be the first female detective in London since Kate Warne was an American.

• Love 4

I really liked how Wellington schooled Eliza in this episode on the realities of being a detective.

She treats the job almost like a game, resigning when she thinks it doesn’t suit her morals and then being shocked when told she won’t get her fee because she didn’t complete the job.

Also, her behavior towards the constable was ridiculous. You don’t get to punch someone just because he’s a jerk—though many of us would love to. That’s especially true if he’s a police officer. Wellington is right that she does have to learn to be calm.

Honestly, I am experiencing some flashbacks to my early career! (Without the benefit of having been as gorgeous and gutsy as Eliza...) 

• Love 2

I couldn't get over how the housekeeper had the Duke talk to Moses rather than Eliza who is the mistress of that home and the employer of the housekeeper.  If Eliza wants to be angry at someone, maybe she should start there.

I, too, didn't like that Eliza punched the police officer-a full on punch rather than a less confrontational response.  I guess she expects the Duke to continually bail her out/help her out with legal issues.

• Love 3
On 2/1/2021 at 7:34 AM, Scarlett45 said:

I didn’t like this episode as much as the last two, but I did absolutely love Eliza teaching the housekeeper her letters at the end of the episode. However I’m more shocked she didn’t try to do that as pre-teen. 

Eliza is a genuinely good person, but she is rather self-centered. She is very focused on her own goals and struggles and doesn’t really think about what challenges others may face.  She was rightly challenged by Margaret Fairfax on this point and so it opened her eyes.

12 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I couldn't get over how the housekeeper had the Duke talk to Moses rather than Eliza who is the mistress of that home and the employer of the housekeeper.  If Eliza wants to be angry at someone, maybe she should start there.

I think that both Ivy and the Duke both really love and care about Eliza and worry about what they perceive to be her poor choices. It seemed natural that Ivy would see in him a partner in “protecting Eliza from herself”. Plus, I bet Mr. Scarlet demonstrated a lot of trust in him, so Ivy would automatically do the same. And, of course, he’s a man and a cop.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, chaifan said:

I thought Eliza punched the constable to keep her cover, so the other ladies wouldn't realize that he knew her. 

She slapped PC Honeychurch because he made the disparaging remark about her having experience *touching* police officers — he was insinuating that he had some knowledge of her relationship with Duke. It had nothing to do with keeping her cover, but fortuitously it worked out that way because the ladies only saw the slap not what PC Honeychurch said that made Eliza slap him.

Edited by Nolefan
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 1/31/2021 at 7:57 PM, Door County Cherry said:

Ha.  I quite like it but I have been accused of being soulless before. 😉  

I thought this episode had some interesting depth to it of things that will come to a head.  Eliza, for one, dealing with the fact that she does often have to wait to be hired by men and what she'll do when she finds out that the Duke paid off Moses. 

But one phrase I wish they'd retire from shows about the early days of women's rights is "oh I'd rather just leave that complicated stuff to men" or some version of it as her housekeeper said in this episode.  There have to be more clever ways of saying it rather than stating it outright. 

But women actually believed that -- and said it out loud! Seriously. My grandmother marched with the suffragettes  -- "Votes for Women" in 1918 when she was 16yrs old. She said her own mother (my great-grandmother) did not believe women should vote because it was too complicated and best left to the men folk.

I, too, am soulless. And I just want to be entertained. This show is doing it for me. So far I have no complaints.

• Like 1
  • Love 3