Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E27: Asylum

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

As always, do not speculate on the topics.  Watch, then post. And of course plan a picnic at the John Oliver Memorial Sewer Treatment plant overlook.

• Start Topic

I love it when John's all passionate and angry like this. 

Ugh. Poor Berta and her granddaughter. That notebook where people decide whose turn it is to go ahead. The cartels having a process in place to know whether or not someone's ransom was paid should they be kidnapped twice. The people in Mexico knowing their fates hang on the outcome of our freaking election in a little over a week. Way, way too many heartbreaking moments here. I truly don't understand how our country can be this way, how anyone finds this even remotely acceptable. 

Oh, and Trump mocking the concept of people being afraid, and the whole concept of them trying to use this process to seek asylum? Whoooooole lot of words I could use to describe that. And I'm just going to leave it at that. 

As for the idea of letting the asylum seekers flood Central American countries instead, I can't help thinking they're trying to do that that in large part because it can give them further excuses to complain about how awful those countries are, and how overrun they are with all these "scary" people, and that's why we can't have them here, 'cause look how they've impacted those countries, and so on and so forth. It's another opportunity for this administration to dump on these countries, like they did with the "shithole" comments from some time back. 

Just. Yeah. The level of cruelty involved in these kinds of things will never, ever cease to amaze me. 

As for the Hunter Biden story, I saw a story that apparently even Putin came out and discredited it. Soooooo.. It's both amusing and sad to see the sheer desperation involved in this story. 

And regarding the CNBC people's movie talk, first off, now I have this amazing image of them all gathered together for movie nights, and second...do we want the stock market experience to be compared to such violent, tragic movies? Not exactly a great comparison point, I wouldn't think, but maybe I'm just weird :p. 

• Love 7

Somehow I thought that the Biden Laptop story was debunked as fake news and therefore none of the major outlet run it.....

Anyway, that is so transparent another round of "but her e-mails", but this time there is not even a small camp fire, just a giant smoke machine.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I love it when John's all passionate and angry like this. 

Ugh. Poor Berta and her granddaughter. That notebook where people decide whose turn it is to go ahead. The cartels having a process in place to know whether or not someone's ransom was paid should they be kidnapped twice. The people in Mexico knowing their fates hang on the outcome of our freaking election in a little over a week. Way, way too many heartbreaking moments here. I truly don't understand how our country can be this way, how anyone finds this even remotely acceptable. 

I just can't. There's no desire on the govt's part to see human beings, to see desperate people who are coming here to save their lives and the lives of their loved ones. Yes, the system is broken, but this "solution" is not what our country claims to be about. People like Stephen Miller simply don't. care. about anyone other than themselves and people just like them.

As for the Hunter Biden story, I saw a story that apparently even Putin came out and discredited it. 

I hadn't heard that. 

And regarding the CNBC people's movie talk, first off, now I have this amazing image of them all gathered together for movie nights, and second...do we want the stock market experience to be compared to such violent, tragic movies? Not exactly a great comparison point, I wouldn't think, but maybe I'm just weird :p. 

These two segments didn't interest or entertain me at all. Maybe because the main story is so rage-inducing.

• Love 6

"I don't watch Diane Keaton movies because she aborts Michael Corleone's baby!"
"To relate that back to the Disney stock?"

Jesus Christ, dude. I love the first two Godfather films, but they are just films!

The main story was so heartbreaking and infuriating, but that Chad (can't be bothered to remember his last name) prick was rage inducing. "The people don't show up to their hearings because they know they don't have solid reasons for asylum." How about they were probably kidnapped and/or murdered at their scheduled date. The dismissive lack of empathy is absolutely appalling.

• Love 5
On 10/26/2020 at 8:25 AM, peeayebee said:

These two segments didn't interest or entertain me at all. Maybe because the main story is so rage-inducing

Exactly this. Plus I hate being reminded that Jim Cramer is still a thing.

One more week.  Between this story and Barrett's confirmation my anxiety level is up tenfold.  Berta's story seriously made me cry.  All because she wouldn't let her TWELVE year old granddaughter be sold into marriage.  And no follow up on where the granddaughter is.

And yes Hunter Biden is Emails 2.0.  SMH

• Love 4
On 10/25/2020 at 11:04 PM, Gothish520 said:

My favorite part of the show was John coming right out and saying "vote for Joe Biden". 

But of course he had to qualify his endorsement.  Just like he endorsed Hillary but had to make a show of how “deeply flawed” she was.  Damned with faint praise.  Don’t need that right now.  Making the perfect the enemy of the good is what got us in our current mess.  

• Love 9

That was so sad. I'm not really surprised. Of course the government's deporting innocent people who come trying to save their lives. There's no reason why we can't accept them into our country. Except of course the A-holes who don't care. I'll never understand how you don't care. People a fleeing to saving their lives. The poor grandmother trying to save her granddaughter. And its not enough. Hearing the woman I think she was lawyer basically telling people they'll get rejected because they can't "prove" it. Its ridiculous. We should be better then this.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

We should be better then this.

Sadly we're not.

Although I suppose the debate gets ugly and unsuitable for this board if we go too specifically into how we define "we", who that includes and what power(s) they have.  However, I think we can comfortably talk about resources and the fact that they're being hoarded.  Our barbaric current approach to immigration is directly linked to the fear of spreading those resources out further.  And to racism, of course, but the root of a lot of racism links to the notion of one group losing what the other group gains.

Unfortunately the problem is only going to get worse.  In our recent past, we had the resources to theoretically support everyone.  Through malfeasance and mismanagement (see: The Environment), as well as cultural entropy), we're headed in a direction where that's becoming less and less true.  The fact that a "one percent" exists controlling so much is part of that mismanagement, or rather than the gap has gotten bigger and bigger after a good period in the 20th century where it was consistently headed in the other direction.

So are we better than this?  I don't know.  Even the best intentioned people are easier to motivate through fear rather than through generosity.  

• Love 7
On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 2:25 AM, meowmommy said:

But of course he had to qualify his endorsement.  Just like he endorsed Hillary but had to make a show of how “deeply flawed” she was.  Damned with faint praise.  Don’t need that right now.  Making the perfect the enemy of the good is what got us in our current mess.  

^^THIS!!! Ollie can't seem to hide his contempt for Joe Biden, as several shows have shown. Someone really needs to confront him about it as to why!

• Love 1

I don't think it's so much contempt as it is that his criticisms seem to be similar to those I've heard from others on the left who feel that Biden isn't nearly as progressive as they'd like him to be, especially on certain issues.

• Love 1
On 10/28/2020 at 5:25 PM, meowmommy said:

19 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

^^THIS!!! Ollie can't seem to hide his contempt for Joe Biden, as several shows have shown. Someone really needs to confront him about it as to why!

It's almost as if John expects his audience to be capable of exercising their own judgement when making decisions.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, meowmommy said:

It's almost as if John has to engage in virtue-signaling.

That doesn't sound like John Oliver to me.

Virtue signaling is the disingenuous communication of a fake sentiment to improve people's opinions of the speaker.

The term has been coopted by certain parties to try and redefine it as any communication of morality at all (at least communications they disagree with). Oliver's beliefs appear to be honestly held, and honestly communicated however. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

Virtue signaling is the disingenuous communication of a fake sentiment to improve people's opinions of the speaker.

The term has been coopted by certain parties to try and redefine it as any communication of morality at all (at least communications they disagree with)

I am unclear about the co-opted definition... please apply it to the following:

"The death toll from Covid-19 is very tragic. It makes me cry."

It would be virtue signaling if a sociopathic liar running for public office said this based on the original definition

Would it be a different result coming from the same person under the co-opted definition?

18 minutes ago, paigow said:

I am unclear about the co-opted definition... please apply it to the following:

"The death toll from Covid-19 is very tragic. It makes me cry."

It would be virtue signaling if a sociopathic liar running for public office said this based on the original definition

Would it be a different result coming from the same person under the co-opted definition?

Let's not put any specific weight on who's doing it, since I suspect that's not kosher here. 

Suffice it to say that when the term is coopted, it's only applied as a tactic to dismiss moral concerns from an opponent, even when those moral concerns are being delivered from a real place and without intent at self glorification. The coopting branches from the motives of the person MAKING the virtue signaling claim though. Whereas the original true definition of it branches from actual observation of the original communication. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

Suffice it to say that when the term is coopted, it's only applied as a tactic to dismiss moral concerns from an opponent, even when those moral concerns are being delivered from a real place and without intent at self glorification.

In other words, falsely accusing someone of virtue signaling???