Type keyword(s) to search

Help! I Wrecked My House - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Yeah, buying a whole sail to make a cushion for kids to play on was ridiculous. And what were they going to store in the play space once the kids outgrew it? It was too deep to be a pantry.

If I were the homeowner I'd be seriously upset at the waste of money for that play area under the island unless I'd specifically asked for it. Located in the middle of the kitchen it seems to me that it would be dangerous for small children to be popping in and out of that space, particularly when hot meals are being prepared. The money Jasmine spent on it could have been used in other areas of the house that surely needed work.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CruiseDiva said:

If I were the homeowner I'd be seriously upset at the waste of money for that play area under the island unless I'd specifically asked for it. Located in the middle of the kitchen it seems to me that it would be dangerous for small children to be popping in and out of that space, particularly when hot meals are being prepared. 

So many open concept obsessed parents don't seem to understand that they're more likely to end up watching their children be burned and under their feet while they're cooking than anything else. Makes no sense. 

• Love 4

Jasmine found a sail for $400 dollars? How big was it? Sails don't last forever. There are businesses that take worn out sails and recycle them by making them into other products. We're probably going to have to replace sails on our boat that are 21 years old. I'd love to find a sail for $400!

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Yeah, come sit here by the always-hot stove. What is wrong with Jasmine? The stupid sail was icing on the dumb-design cake.

What's wrong with every "designer" who claims the ONLY way to live in the "modern" world is open concept, especially if you have children or apparently ever want to entertain anyone.

• Love 5

Argh

More and more I want to throw stuff at the screen in frustration over this show... and I like Jasmine

They make such a big thing out of budget  but $$ is spent in stupid ways

If you didn't catch it,  that sailcloth  'pillow'  when  finished at the upholster  came to $600.

I think the finishing inside the  island space came to another few hundred $ .

Both were a waste of $

They lost having a TV in their LR

Disliked the front hall storage, it's perfectly utilitarian  but as designed looked  like it should be in a mudroom. It needed some doors and drawers

Also, HO's picked out a light fixture for their bathroom, why not just put that one back instead of spending $$ on another?

• Love 7

I'll still never understand the DIY'ers on this show.  Who starts a project in the house, doesn't finish it, starts another, doesn't finish it, starts another, doesn't finish it, etc until their house is a total disaster area?

"Hey honey, I know I only pulled up half the tile on the floor but I'm going to go tear apart the counters and then put some holes in the wall."

• Love 6

My guess agrees with other posters, that a majority of these houses are flips, and the various projects left undone were only done for the application video.    

They're having a marathon this morning on HGTV, and watched a couple of episodes.   The people who mentioned they're wanting to start a family and put, "we want a baby" in every sentence are the ones who did their own addition that was totally screwed up.    They had a slab on the addition that should have been jack hammered, and redone.   They refused to pay to do it correctly, so Jasmine agreed for her contractor to even out the worst spots.     What a stupid thing to do.  

• Love 2

Next season starts on August 27, Saturday.      This is season 3, 10 episodes.   9 pm Eastern, 8 pm Central.   

I'm still convinced that a lot of these were ripped apart for the audition video.   There's a real difference between something that was recently ripped out, and something that was ripped open a long time ago.   

I bet the homeowners are flipping the houses, or fixing up to sell for another house they're trading up to.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
On 8/13/2022 at 9:53 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Next season starts on August 27, Saturday.      This is season 3, 10 episodes.   9 pm Eastern, 8 pm Central.   

I'm still convinced that a lot of these were ripped apart for the audition video.   There's a real difference between something that was recently ripped out, and something that was ripped open a long time ago.   

I agree because the things many of them do are just plain stupid, lol!  

• Love 1
On 8/13/2022 at 6:53 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I bet the homeowners are flipping the houses, or fixing up to sell for another house they're trading up to.

Definitely...because let's face it, how many responsible homeowners do you know that start 37 different projects and never even finish one? And doing it all while living in the house?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

Definitely...because let's face it, how many responsible homeowners do you know that start 37 different projects and never even finish one? And doing it all while living in the house?

Then again how many homeowners actually are responsible? 

• LOL 2

I appreciated on the new episode that the guy just needed help with a whole house remodel versus doing a lot of stupid things (unless I missed something).  That is more the type of rescue I would like to see.  That said, she did the "white" thing everywhere, and I just roll my eyes.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

These people BUILT A POOL but left their kitchen burned up for TWO years? They didn’t even buy a cheap countertop microwave? They can’t even go out the sliding glass door to the pool?

I thought the people on Love It or List It who left their roof unpatched or walked outside around the house in winter to the shower were nuts…

But they win - these nice TV people come and do everything?

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, ML89 said:

These people BUILT A POOL but left their kitchen burned up for TWO years? They didn’t even buy a cheap countertop microwave? They can’t even go out the sliding glass door to the pool?

I don't believe for a second that they left their house like that for 2 years. I couldn't stand it for 2 weeks, never mind 2 years. Producers are really stretching the truth for a storyline.

And even if (as they said), they didn't want to do anything in the kitchen because they were unsure of layout, or whatever bullshit they were trying to sell...at least get the damn door fixed! All they had to do is call an exterior door company...in the same way as they called a pool company. Unbelievable!

• Like 2
  • Love 4

I really think a lot of the homeowners are doing the mess they claim they've been living with right before the audition video.   I think a lot of previous season's homes were flip homes.    I would love to see someone follow up, and see who is living in the fixed up homes, and how many were sold after the show.  

• Like 1
  • Love 4

This show has become very annoying.  First of all Jasmine just talks and talks, and the recent cabin episode just exposes how it just becomes so repetitive.  Second, as we have said, some of them, such as the homeowners on tonight’s episode…they start stupid unnecessary projects and just leave them, and create more.

This couple acts shocked they didn’t love their house as much as they thought.  The 70s fixtures were there when you looked at it.  I am kind of over it… The stupid homeowners and how smug Jasmine is in every episode.

• Love 5

Part of the problem with this show is that it is complete and utter BS. I don't believe that any of these people just tore the houses they are living in apart willy nilly while living in them, exposing live electrical wires, gas lines, tearing up almost every room, etc. While filming themselves doing it, oh so helpfully for the show to let us see on tv. No. Whatever they did they did right before filming in order to make for the dramah of the show and to contrast with the ever giddy but professional Jasmine to exclaim 'Oh noes! You could have died!  I will save you!' during the initial filmed tour. Then she swoops in, remodels, renovates, and ultimately creates a banquette in order to create the largest kitchen known to man and also makes some weird special thing that no one wants in their home and that the owners will either get rid of or die trying to.

I especially hate when she does fireplaces with the rectangle in them for wiring for TV. That's fine if you decide that no one ever will want to have the beautiful stone or whatever just plain above the mantle. Because you now can't because there is no stone there, just that weird rectangle.

And Jasmine needs to talk half as much and stop talking like a middle schooler on adderall. She thinks she's adorable. I think she is mistaken.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Part of the problem with this show is that it is complete and utter BS. I don't believe that any of these people just tore the houses they are living in apart willy nilly while living in them, exposing live electrical wires, gas lines, tearing up almost every room, etc. While filming themselves doing it, oh so helpfully for the show to let us see on tv. No. Whatever they did they did right before filming in order to make for the dramah of the show and to contrast with the ever giddy but professional Jasmine to exclaim 'Oh noes! You could have died!  I will save you!' during the initial filmed tour. Then she swoops in, remodels, renovates, and ultimately creates a banquette in order to create the largest kitchen known to man and also makes some weird special thing that no one wants in their home and that the owners will either get rid of or die trying to.

I especially hate when she does fireplaces with the rectangle in them for wiring for TV. That's fine if you decide that no one ever will want to have the beautiful stone or whatever just plain above the mantle. Because you now can't because there is no stone there, just that weird rectangle.

And Jasmine needs to talk half as much and stop talking like a middle schooler on adderall. She thinks she's adorable. I think she is mistaken.

Yes, she has become so annoying.  I no longer want to hear her speak.  I got that way quickly with fixer fabulous couple as well.  

• Love 3

While I agree that the “our kitchen burned two years ago but we put in a pool” people’s story seemed like a stretch, I can believe it. I’ve seen the strangest things in other people’s homes, choices that make no sense. It’s one thing when you buy a house and can’t afford to change all the things right away, but these are purposeful renos that just seem illogical.

Someone moved their practical basement stairs from the side of house by the garage entry to smack-dab in the middle of living room. It’s going to take away a lot of value when they want to sell their house to fund their retirement.

Another person designed and built their house and put a sunken living room that was sunken 8 whole inches and then surrounded it with a half wall and spindles from the wall to the ceiling (looked like a cage). 

I know someone with three daughters and one son who put a powder room near their entry that had a urinal, and only a urinal. There were two other bathrooms with regular toilets that were upstairs and in the basement. Their logic was that if their son was playing outside he could dash in to the urinal when he had to go. I said, what about when the girls have to go, and they acted like I was dumb and said they just could go to the other bathrooms. 

So people doing stupid shit to their houses is not necessarily producer-driven.

I like that this show kind of shames the stupid, and hopefully discourages other people from thinking that watching a how-to on YouTube is all you need to re-plumb your bathroom.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I have to defend people who do "stupid" things to their house, mainly because it's their house. Unless I know I'm going to sell in 2 years or less I want to live in a place that works for me, even if it only works for me. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

In the promo for this show, they have Jasmine tossing a sledgehammer in a trash can. The first episode I watched she took a sledgehammer and knocked out a half wall. Fail.

I think the promo with the host throwing the sledgehammer in the trash can is for No Demo Reno. Different show.

5 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I have to defend people who do "stupid" things to their house, mainly because it's their house.

Yes and no. Sure, it’s their house and sure, if it works for them, great. But in the example I mentioned, the urinal-only bathroom for a family with 4 females and 2 males made no sense. It was also an issue for visitors, since we females had to go upstairs to the bedroom level or down to the basement to use the bathroom. It also seemed kind of sexist.

And the houses in this show that have sketchy wiring or chopped up support beams or blocked plumbing are unhygienic and/or unsafe.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Shermie said:

But in the example I mentioned, the urinal-only bathroom for a family with 4 females and 2 males made no sense. It was also an issue for visitors, since we females had to go upstairs to the bedroom level or down to the basement to use the bathroom. It also seemed kind of sexist. And the houses in this show that have sketchy wiring or chopped up support beams or blocked plumbing are unhygienic and/or unsafe.

Ah, yes that makes the urinal not stupid but cruel. And design choices don't include things that are dangerous or cheap/illegal IMO. Most, if not all, of which seems to be completely fake and insulting on progammes like this. 

• Love 3

I’ll never understand the fascination with those accordion doors.  Do people not have any bugs where they live?  I open the front door to let someone in and I have to swat bugs from coming in.

• Love 8
On 11/10/2022 at 7:51 PM, KeithJ said:

I’ll never understand the fascination with those accordion doors.  Do people not have any bugs where they live?  I open the front door to let someone in and I have to swat bugs from coming in.

I know! The fact that they don't have screens is a big no for me. I cannot live with flies flitting around my house and kitchen. I don't know how people do it. If I bought a house with those accordion doors I would have to replace them immediately.

• Love 2

Not only are the accordion doors not screened, but they're hideously over priced.   They're for indoor-outdoor living.    That's the same reason people take down screen rooms over pools on other renovation shows.     If I had a big accordion door, my house would be full of mosquitos, gnats, and probably the neighbor's cat.     I think the accordion doors are a total waste of money, and when you're on a budget, there are other ways to spend that money.   

• Love 6

Anybody else watch the redo of the older episode, followed by the season premiere?     The new episode was bizarre.  The family has a special needs daughter, so they have to build a lift to get her to the second floor.   

Then, they showed the 'accessible' bathroom for the daughter, and there is no way for her to get close to the bathroom sink.  It wasn't accessible at all.       Jasmine kept calling the sink 'accessible', but it wasn't.     I guess buying a ranch house would have ruined the parents idea to live at the beach.     I can't imagine how much they spent on that house over the long time they were claiming to be working on it.   

I don't like the recent trend of long "L" shaped banquette seating, and a tiny round table in the 90 angle of the "L".   It's a waste of space.   A banquette with a matching rectangular table would be much more useful.    

(I say claiming because I don't think we're getting the real story from any of the homeowners on this show).     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

Well, Jasmine's kind of a one trick pony idiot so I don't expect much from her but this episode was kind of ridiculous in the amount of information we were lacking. Jasmine wasn't designing an 'accessible' home at all, just one that would meet a few specific needs. The daughter was not in a regular wheelchair, more of a transport chair situation so they didn't need to widen any doors and they didn't talk about leaving room in general for wheelchairs. She also didn't seem to be able to meet her own needs in any meaningful way or at all so having an 'accessible' sink wasn't needed, it only needed to be accessible to her short mom. In any case, putting a counter top bowl as the sink in such a house was a really stupid design choice. If ever you needed a lower below counter level sink with an opening below it for wheelchair access this would be the time to choose that design. Someone who has such a need would require it and it would help if they ever needed to sell to such a person for whom the elevator was a draw. Floating shelves in a kitchen are such a magnet for grime and dust that I don't understand why anyone would choose them but that's Jasmine for you. I didn't see a table and chairs for eating (may have missed it) but if the big island is all there is then that is definitely a problem if you have a family member with a mobility problem and especially in a wheelchair.

I just found the whole thing irritating because Jasmine did not express why she chose certain things and how they fit with this family's needs in particular. I expect so little of Jasmine but she never seems to fail to disappoint me.

ETA:  Went back and checked and there was a tiny round table in front of a huge built in banquette. I loathe banquettes so I think I repressed that part. It was too small for a family of four and looked ridiculous in front of that huge long banquette and had two improvised chairs on the open side. I would not be happy with that at all.

And of course we find that there is a part two because of course the whole thing is meaningless if the upstairs  (where they are supposed to sleep) is not habitable.  Of course Jasmine has to come back and I guess more money magically showed up?  This show.

Edited by Andyourlittledog2
  • Like 4
  • LOL 1

I do not think the handicapped daughter is capable of doing anything for herself based on what they showed of her.  I suspect she is fed via tube so a place at the table probably is not much of an issue (same with the sink).  Was that bathroom supposed to be a "wet room" (or whatever they call them?), because I did not see a drain and of course (understandably) there wasn't a lip or a door.  I kind of always feel bad for the other child in a family such as this because her needs certainly seemed to be way down low on the list - perhaps in the next episode where they redo the upstairs that will be addressed (and where are the s?).

Having said, that, I cannot imagine the day-to-day stress of handling what is obviously a seriously handicapped child.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

The daughter was not in a regular wheelchair, more of a transport chair situation so they didn't need to widen any doors and they didn't talk about leaving room in general for wheelchairs.

ETA:  Went back and checked and there was a tiny round table in front of a huge built in banquette. I loathe banquettes so I think I repressed that part. It was too small for a family of four and looked ridiculous in front of that huge long banquette and had two improvised chairs on the open side. I would not be happy with that at all.

When I had a broken leg I used a transport chair and it fit fine through most of the doorways in my home, except for the bathroom and closet doors that are narrower than the rest. I would park the chair and use a walker to hop into the bathrooms.

Totally agree about the banquette. I don't like them, but that one would have been more practical with a longer oval or rectangular table.

• Like 5

I did not understand the wet room bathroom at all. So every time they use the shower water will go everywhere. A slip hazard for sure and generally just a mess,  why didn’t she just do a zero entry shower with some partial glass partition. I guess grab bars aren’t needed, so ummm okay, and vessel sinks are on my list of things I just loathe. They are ugly, hard to keep clean and makes the counter space less usable. And all I could think when I saw the lift was “what happens when it breaks?” Sorry Jasmine this one was just a fail.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

Jasmine seems like a nice person. Her work? Meh. Not awful, like the unsellable twins and not as cookie-cutter as the unwatchable Canadian twins, but still.

Wishing this two-part family good luck. But seriously, was there ever a snowball’s chance in hell they could remodel their upper floor? So the call-back to Jasmine felt awfully lame.

Sorry for the sister who wanted to host sleepovers—couldn’t that have been a trundle bed? Maybe there’s an extra $99 for an aero bed.

I guess using slats on the walls is now in the HGTV playbook (after shiplap). 

• Like 5

Did they show how they "fixed" the roof access? I'm guessing they went for putting a barcade up since they kept the window covered in a mass/mess of sheers.

Also if I never hear Jasmine utter the word Japandi again it will be to soon.  Give me a few months and I might be ready to see a real designer implement that design style. Maybe.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Ha, I subscribe to a YT channel of a Japanese woman in Scandinavia, so I was interested in seeing what Jasmine was doing. Meh. Agree, quirkygirl, someone else try it.

They put a new, similar railing around that roof patio. No clue where the money came from, just J saying it had to happen.

Edited by buttersister
Fixing typos found after I put my glasses back on.
  • Like 4

Last week I didn't really like this couple very much but this week I really don't like them. They just seem so whiny and helpless and entitled. They want what they want and don't have the money or drive to do it and give up and call Jasmine back? Then we are treated to their demands on what they desire etc and it all just puts me off. They bought a house they shouldn't have and don't have the money to fix up to their exacting standards and now put it on Jasmine to do it for them.  We should all have a Jasmine to swoop in and do everything for us. It just seems like this particular couple has that whiff of 'user' to them that most of the folks she helps do not have.

I realize the producers let all this happen but if they present me with this narrative then that is what I am going to take away from it. I'm sorry they have such a hard life with the daughter to care for but I am not expanding that sympathy out to their help us but we want what we want attitude so come do it for us Jasmine! 

I need to stop watching this show.

• Like 8

I was happy to see that the older daughter was capable of interacting with her family - in the first show that didn't appear to be the case.

I realize that the younger daughter's bedroom was small but I agree that more could have been done to make it more accommodating for friends and sleepovers.  

The desk - although a really cool design - was really not very useful.  A laptop would barely fit on the work space.  Definitely form over function.

• Like 3
  • Applause 4
22 hours ago, quirkygal said:

Also if I never hear Jasmine utter the word Japandi again it will be to soon.  Give me a few months and I might be ready to see a real designer implement that design style. Maybe.

Holy cats, yes. Stop saying it every other word, Jasmine. She got on my last nerve.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Latest ep. Please tell me these people had a family room we didn’t see. If not, it meant Jasmine took their family room with two couches (granted it was small) and gave them two chairs stuffed in what looked like a hallway. And don’t get me started on the weird white plastic doors in the bedroom, they didn’t provide sound insulation and they looked like patio partitions. Just odd Reno all the way around. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Jasmine finds it impossible to understand how anyone could not want a ginormous kitchen space, even at the cost of the family room or anything resembling a dining table. She constantly 'renovates' away any space not dedicated to the kitchen, huge counter spaces, huge islands, etc. If there absolutely has to have a dining table she'll squeeze in a banquette (uck) or one of those stupid kitchen tables attached to the island (as in this episode). Her entire design style is just a complete fail for me.

Seriously, the dad loved the fireplace. The couple mentioned the family room was little but they spent a lot of time in it and he loved watching the fire in the fireplace. What does she do?  Now there is no family room at all (that weird chair set completely away from the fireplace around the corner does not count at all)  and the only way to 'enjoy the fire' is sitting in the kitchen at that weird island/table combo. Sounds relaxing and romantic.

Jasmine is such a one tricky pony dolt.

ETA: Oh and the wife mentioned how they use that large dining table for big dinners too. So of course Jasmine got rid of it and replaced it with the island/small table combo.  Idiot.

Edited by Andyourlittledog2
  • Like 4
10 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Jasmine finds it impossible to understand how anyone could not want a ginormous kitchen space, even at the cost of the family room or anything resembling a dining table. She constantly 'renovates' away any space not dedicated to the kitchen, huge counter spaces, huge islands, etc. If there absolutely has to have a dining table she'll squeeze in a banquette (uck) or one of those stupid kitchen tables attached to the island (as in this episode). Her entire design style is just a complete fail for me.

Seriously, the dad loved the fireplace. The couple mentioned the family room was little but they spent a lot of time in it and he loved watching the fire in the fireplace. What does she do?  Now there is no family room at all (that weird chair set completely away from the fireplace around the corner does not count at all)  and the only way to 'enjoy the fire' is sitting in the kitchen at that weird island/table combo. Sounds relaxing and romantic.

Jasmine is such a one tricky pony dolt.

ETA: Oh and the wife mentioned how they use that large dining table for big dinners too. So of course Jasmine got rid of it and replaced it with the island/small table combo.  Idiot.

I agree with everything you wrote.      

I remember in her previous show, a lot of the homes ended up with huge front decks for 'entertaining'.    I'm just glad on this show she's not putting the outdoor space money into the front yard.    However, I can't imagine the back yards are getting a lot of use during the summer heat unless they have a covered area. 

• Like 3

The dad loved using the fireplace but he’s scared to use it now because they never cleaned it?  A chimney sweep is $200 - $250 (I don’t know why her guys charged her $500)?  I guess he didn’t love it that much.

Are the pre-construction diaries really pre-construction or are they re-enactments?  I find it hard to believe that every single family on this show recorded themselves doing stupid stuff before calling Jasmine.

Edited by KeithJ
  • Like 3