Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E14: A Sort of Homecoming

CooperTV

First episode of the season that felt like it was a part of a final season. I'm not sure how well it worked as an episode, granted, mostly because of an unusually high number of Wait, What? moments, even by the standards of this show, but I guess it was nice to get some closure on some points.

1. Uh, Clarke. While I quite definitely get the need to know "Where am I?" maybe mentioning "I just shot Bellamy" would have been more useful.

2. The....closing bridge defaults to the origins of your DNA? I HAVE A LOT OF QUESTIONS. 

3. Oooh, look, Earth is just like the area just outside Vancouver again! And once again, I HAVE A LOT OF QUESTIONS.  Like, they've only been gone for a couple hundred years, right? And when they left, that area was a desolate wasteland filled with radiation? Exactly how quickly can trees GROW in desolate wastelands filled with radiation? I can't help but think that this would have worked better as a plot twist if they'd all stayed in cyro for much longer.

4. Echo looks as disbelieving/annoyed about last week's episode as I am.

5. "He needed all this chaos to make sense." Again, Echo speaks for me!  With the slight exception that Echo thinks Cadogan made all of this make some sense for Bellamy, at least, and I still don't buy that.

6. On the one hand, I am so loving this friendship between Echo and Clarke. On the other hand, please do not get my hopes up for an Echo/Clarke endgame since we all know how poorly Clarke's relationships end on this show.

7. "Everyone we care about is here?" Uh. Gabriel JUST TOLD YOU he had people back on Sanctum! PLUS THERE'S THE DOG, CLARKE! HOW CAN YOU FORGET ABOUT THE DOG?

8. Ok, I still hate EvilHeda, but his "Good luck with that!" to Cadogan was pretty awesome. As was his pointing out none too gently that Cadogan is one arrogant condescending jerk who keeps underestimating people.

9. Thank you, Madi, for bringing up the dog! AT LEAST SOMEONE REMEMBERS THE DOG, CLARKE!

10. And thank you, Murphy, for mentioning that the people of Sanctum also deserve protection! 

Who would have thought that thought would come from Murphy, though!

11. Yay, an Indra and Octavia moment!

12. I gotta admit, I kinda like knowing that the piano and piano playing has survived all of this. Though, again, I have questions. Like, HOW IS THAT PIANO STILL IN TUNE AFTER ALL OF THIS TIME?

13. Jordan, even I think you can do better than Hope. 

14. I can't believe I've only just started to ask this, but do these Bardo suits also make people inaudible as well as invisible?

15. Hey, Echo finally gets around to telling someone her real name.

16. I guess it's kinda cool to get some backstory for Niylah at long last, but....I'm not sure what we were supposed to get out of this reveal?

17. Oh, come on, EvilHeda. I know you're evil, but there's no reason to disrupt a piano lesson like that!

18. Also, can you imagine living a couple hundred years only to die while playing Beethoven?

19.  Ok, WHY didn't EvilHeda grab his invisibility helmet on the way out of the piano room?

I mean, the actor is great and having a lot of fun, but virtually none of the plot associated with him makes any sense.

20. INDRA, STOP TALKING TO AND THREATENING EVILHEDA AND JUST STAB HIM ALREADY AND THEN DO YOUR LITTLE GROUNDER THING. THIS HAS BEEN SEVERAL EPISODES NOW

21. Hey, everyone, rather than saying "I'm with you," maybe go run for the OTHER QUALIFIED DOCTOR IN THE AREA? 

22. See, EvilHeda, this is exactly why you should have grabbed the helmet when you left!

Also, how exactly is running around the bunker in an invisible helmet and then dropping and losing the invisible helmet and failing to capture or kill Madi something that only EvilHeda, as opposed to all of the other Bardo people trained to use invisible helmets, able to do?

23. I blame you, Hope.

(Yes, technically most of what happened in this particular episode wasn't Hope's fault, but I just have a visceral reaction to the character at this point.)

24. We went through this entire episode without finding out what happened to the dog?

Geesh, show. Geesh. 

• Love 4

The 4th Wall breaking rendition of Bellamy's death in my head:

Clarke:  "I had to kill Bellamy, Octavia and Echo!  I understand if y'all hate me!"

Octavia: "Honestly, the Bellamy we reunited was clearly just a pod person, so I can't blame you."

Echo:  "Seriously, Clarke.  You didn't kill him: the stupid writing and petty show-runner did!"

In all seriousness, I'm glad most everyone (baring a Madi or two) didn't blame her for it and we got to avoid another variation of the "Everybody Hates Clarke!" storyline.  Granted, Clarke almost ruined all that by destroying the helmet in a desperate attempt to "save her family", even though it would bone over everyone else in Sanctum who weren't dicks.  But, hey: Clarke's got to Clarke!

I actually enjoyed a good amount of this episode, because the entire cast was actually together, and it was just nice seeing the characters interact with one another, and the chemistry between the actors again.  Glad they revisited the Indra/Octavia relationship, Gabriel with Madi (briefly) was nice, the Echo and Niylah scene was really well done, and I continue to think Jordan is at his best opposite of Niylah.  Too bad the show seems hellbent on making him and Hope a thing.  Of course, what I really wanted was more of the Murphy/Emori/Raven trio, because those three are the best!

It's kind of interesting that Murphy of all people seems to be the only one besides Clarke stepping up in a leadership role.  I bet even he never would have saw that coming!

Sure enough, thanks to Indra's out of character streak of sparing Sheidheda, Bill ends up finding out about Madi anyway, which basically renders Bellamy's death (and Clarke's part in it) pointless, outside of cheap drama (well, that and fulfilling Jason Rothenberg's need to spite Bob Morley one last time.)  But since Bill is dumb, Sheidheda gets to sneak into the bunker and try to get Madi himself and use her for his own nefarious plans.  He fails at least, but he continues to live to smirk another day.  I did love all of the numerous closeups of his face in the helmet, which really allowed JR Bourne to mug for the camera.  Again, he's be entertaining in this role, but Sheidheda is just such an underwhelming final baddie (still better than Bill, at least.)

Another character falls, as Gabriel is on his way to the afterlife, thanks to multiple knife wounds from Sheidheda.  Can't say I loved the character, but I will kind of miss his bemused attitude at times, and Chuku Modu was always a delight.  But, hey, maybe this will free him up to go back to The Good Doctor!  That show really could use Jared again!

Saw that Jessica Harmon directed this one, which is pretty cool.  I wonder if she used this opportunity to boss around her little brother a bit, heh.

Of course, the episode ends with my two favorite character getting a bunch of rocks dropped on them.  But I'm continuing to believe that Murphy and Emori constantly getting put in peril means they will be safe in the end.  Don't you dare crush my dreams, show!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 5

So.....this would have been a lovely episode to have....TEN EPISODES AGO. It was so great to have everyone alive back together for the first time since last season but this season has been so shitty and even this episode was so out of character in terms of the reaction toward Bellamy and his death that it's just more frustrating with very little payoff.

Gabriel's death should have been Bellamy's. Period. Gabriel got a better send off than Bellamy did. Gabriel should have been the brainwashed one who needed to be killed by Clarke and Bellamy should have gotten this heroic death by trying to save Madi. 

Now, the episode was beautifully directed by Jessica Harmon. I enjoyed a lot of the choices she made to make the episode as tense as possible. I even enjoyed how she also got screentime and Niylah was a highlight of the episode. 

I also loved seeing Leader Murphy make his way into the forefront and nobody even questioned it. I thought for sure that Raven would make a quip about how he was suddenly willing to sacrifice his life for people he barely knew. It's such a change from Murphy even from last season that you'd think someone would comment on how weird it is. And even Hope gets to meet her favourite person from Octavia's stories (even if it switched to Jordan/Hope romantic scenes).

How in the world is NOBODY commenting on how Earth should still be desolute and barren? If time is the same on Sanctum than it is on Earth, and Monty predicted that Earth would never come back from the second/third Apocalypse....HOW COME IT'S TOTALLY GREEN? C'mon, show. It's just as dumb as Indra not shooting her gun around the entire room once they realized that someone came through the Anomaly with the invisible outfit. And just as dumb as Indra, again, leaving Sheidheda alive. 

Again, things just turn dumb with everyone also leading Sheidheda directly to Madi. Did they NOT hear the heavy ass footsteps beside them? I can't imagine Sheidheda is THAT light on his feet. 

I did like the classical music moment from Gabriel, though. I don't think I'll actually miss him but it was nice to get a nice last scene before he got stabbed. 

Clarke/Madi are always fighting, but I get Madi's point completely. She's, once again, left with nobody her own age to talk to and that has to be frustrating after finally making friends. 

As for the end...Madi gets taken by the Anomaly back to Bardo and Murphy/Emori get crushed by debris from the bomb?? I'm gonna assume that both will be FINE. They BETTER be fine, show! I may have wanted Angsty Grieving Murphy before the season started because I was curious to see how he'd deal with a loss like everyone else on this show has. Now, I'd rather Murphy/Emori lead the people of Sanctum once they all inevitably get back to Earth and have cute babies. 

• Love 5

Every time Emori and Murphy are on screen, I'm thinking,  "If you kill them off...."  Because I have zero faith in Rothenberg.

Raven:  Hero Murphy is kinda freaking me out.

Emori: I know...but it's hot.

Murphy: I'm right here.

Murphy, the reluctant hero.  Hee!

So.....this would have been a lovely episode to have....TEN EPISODES AGO. It was so great to have everyone alive back together

YES.

I have zero attachment to Clarke/Madi, and I still don't know why Sheheda is still alive.  Kill him already.

• Love 2

They've done a lot of dumb things on this show, but come on.  They know those folks have an invisibility helmets and they were also very sure someone came through the portal.  Yet, they didn't block the door to make sure no one could exit or had to reveal themselves in some way to get out of the room? And then they proceeded to loudly look for Maddie? Like what the fuck!

Judge-Judy-Shake-My-Head-Gif.gif  

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Gabriel's death should have been Bellamy's. Period. Gabriel got a better send off than Bellamy did.

So so true! I spent the whole last part of the episode thinking after 7 years this really should have been for Bellamy instead of Gabriel who we’ve only known for a while. Kinda makes me feel even worse for Bellamys death. 

Not at all happy about Murphy and Emori potentially being pancaked by rocks. Do not hurt them show, they've been the only consistently good thing the past couple of seasons. Also can I just say how much I enjoy Murphy/Emori/Raven together. So much fun and chemistry, they’re such a bright spot (And this show has so few these days) whenever they have scenes in any combination of the 3.

Echo and Niylah were interesting too. The drunk bonding was nice but I am sorry that Echo didn’t get to say goodbye to Gabriel since she was the one who had actually spent five whole years with him. 

24 minutes ago, luckyroll3 said:

They've done a lot of dumb things on this show, but come on.  They know those folks have an invisibility helmets and they were also very sure someone came through the portal.  Yet, they didn't block the door to make sure no one could exit or had to reveal themselves in some way to get out of the room?

Lol! I couldn’t believe how dumb they were being. Especially trained fighters like Indra and Gaia who really should have more sense. At the very least Octavia could have shot a few bullets behind her when leaving to make sure nobody followed her. And of course Sheidheda gets away from them once more. The worst part of all this is it’s making Indra who is normally the most awesome person in the room look incredibly dumb. How many times has she let Sheidheda go now? Jeez woman take the shot! 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Clarke:  "I had to kill Bellamy, Octavia and Echo!  I understand if y'all hate me!"

Octavia: "Honestly, the Bellamy we reunited was clearly just a pod person, so I can't blame you."

Echo:  "Seriously, Clarke.  You didn't kill him: the stupid writing and petty show-runner did!"

"I killed Bellamy over a book - and then left a book. I'm sorry if you, his sister and his girlfriend, now hate me"

"Meh, we were kind of over him. Let's hug"

2 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

They've done a lot of dumb things on this show, but come on.  They know those folks have an invisibility helmets and they were also very sure someone came through the portal.  Yet, they didn't block the door to make sure no one could exit or had to reveal themselves in some way to get out of the room? And then they proceeded to loudly look for Maddie? Like what the fuck!

Like I get this was a bottle episode but watching Clarke and Octavia run around a bunker yelling, "Maddie!!!! Maddie!!!" for half an hour while SlimSheidy just followed them around smirking was not quality television, you guys.

This show is just so unbelievably pointless in every way. And this episode's "Earth's totally fine so the last two seasons didn't even matter!!" was the craptastic closer. I'm just so relieved it's about to put me out of my misery once and for all. 

CANCELLATION PARTY 🥳

• Love 9

I just love (and by love I mean hate with the power of a thousand suns) that Bellamy was killed for basically no reason after becoming a pod person and no one, not even his sister or girlfriend, can even pretend to give a shit. I guess I am happy that we arent getting another "Everybody Hates Clarke" story, especially among a group of people that really gave no business throwing a single stone, but the total lack of reaction that Clarke killed her brainwashed best friend over a sketch book that she didn't even manage to grab is pretty terrible. Its so obvious that this is all because someone running this show is a petty ass dickhead who wanted to just get rid of Bellamy in the fastest, most undignified way that also allowed him to die without anyone even taking longer than five seconds to mourn. Even Gabriel, a character we have only met this season, got a better death than Bellamy, one of the main characters of this show since the very first episode. Look, I am a long time Clarke apologist, and I hate how people have treated her like crap for making choices that were hard, but did seem like the best option at the time, but her killing Bellamy wasn't one of those "I had to for the greater good" moments, and its amazing that the one time people probably could be at least a little upset, or ask if she couldn't have gone for a leg shot at least, everyone is totally cool. I guess I dont really blame Clarke either, it wasn't her fault, it was the terrible writing. I guess they just wrote Bellamy off already, they were just relieved that Clarke killed him so that they can just be over him already! 

Speaking of Clarke's questionable life choices, her destroying the helmet was so obviously a bad idea, so much that even Clarke realized it was stupid by the end of the episode. I often find Maddis whineiness to be annoying, but I dont cant blame her for being pissed off about Clarke taking her from her new friends and making all of these choices all to protect Maddi without even asking her what she wants. Maddi wants to be with her dog, just let her! 

I never want to hear people running around screaming "MADDI!!" ever again. Oh yeah, theres a great use of your time in the last few episodes of your show, people running around hallways yelling. 

I cant even decide which villain is lamer, and the fact that neither of them are dead, despite plenty of opportunities for the gang to kill them, just screams of writers who think these losers are more interesting than they are. 

I was at least happy to see so much of the cast together again and interacting, and we actually got some screen time for characters that I actually care about! Its really cool seeing Murphy in more of a heroic leadership role (and that even he is surprised by himself) and he and Emori, with the addition of Raven, are really highlights of every episode. They add so much life to the show in the midst of the never ending angst. And then, of course, the show drops a bunch of rocks on them, because we arent allowed to have nice things. Of course, I am trying to be hopeful that if they keep putting Murphy and Emori in danger with lots of fake outs so that they will actually make it out alright, but you never know with this show. 

At least this episode, with much of the cast back together and in an old location, ruminating on their past and various events from the shows history, actually did feel like it was one the last few episodes of the last season, and not just some random season full of random people in a random location. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I just love (and by love I mean hate with the power of a thousand suns) that Bellamy was killed for basically no reason after becoming a pod person and no one, not even his sister or girlfriend, can even pretend to give a shit.

Honestly, Eliza at this point has checked out completely and can barely even muster an emotional response to anything. Her character makes no sense anymore and she knows it. She and Bob must be counting the days until they can gtfo of this fustercluck and never look back. 

• Love 4

Wait....why does Madi know things that Sheheda does not?  He lived in her head...and so doesn't he know everything she does? 

What did I miss?

47 minutes ago, AudienceofOne said:

She and Bob

must be counting the days until they can gtfo of this fustercluck and never look back. 

I am guessing they are Down Under happy as clams that in two weeks they will be officially done with the show.  And in theory, they could say whatever they want then.

LMAO

Everyone stands around and tells us they don't care that Bellamy's dead, and then they tell us he died because he wanted the plot to make sense too much, and then Clarke's like, "All the main characters are here, and no one else matters," and then "He stabbed himself and then he disappeared!"

This episode was confusing, and I felt like the editing was putting stuff in a different order than it was originally intended. There was just something weird about the way people kept changing locations. Also, I was expecting it to turn into a Gaia flashback, and it didn't, so I wonder if they originally had more content about what happened after she came to the bunker that got moved or cut.

7 hours ago, dippydee said:

Lol! I couldn’t believe how dumb they were being. Especially trained fighters like Indra and Gaia who really should have more sense. ... And of course Sheidheda gets away from them once more. The worst part of all this is it’s making Indra who is normally the most awesome person in the room look incredibly dumb. How many times has she let Sheidheda go now? Jeez woman take the shot! 

At first, I thought, "Oh, this is why that had that annoying scene earlier where Indra challenges Sheidheda and loses. Now, she's going to fight him again with her daughter, and the two of them will win, and he'll be dead, and it'll heal their family," but no. He stabs himself and disappears.

Follow-up question about Sheidheda: Did Russell have a tribal-looking shoulder tattoo or did Sheidy prioritize getting one along with building a skull throne?

4 hours ago, AudienceofOne said:

"I killed Bellamy over a book - and then left a book. I'm sorry if you, his sister and his girlfriend, now hate me"

That was also a really funny moment. Though, I guess Octavia kind of has to forgive everyone for everything, since she spent six years tyrannically murdering people in a bunker. It also explained why they had that clunky dialogue earlier where Octavia says that she understands how Clarke feels about Madi now that she helped raise Hope.

36 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Wait....why does Madi know things that Sheheda does not?  He lived in her head...and so doesn't he know everything she does? 

That's a good question, actually, and one that I didn't think to ask. The whole reason Sheidy was in Madi's head is because he used to be the Commander, so I don't know why he wouldn't know whatever the Commanders are supposed to know. Maybe it's unusual that Madi remembers stuff? Because Clarke also had the chip in her head at one point and doesn't seem to remember stuff. I don't really get how it works.

• Love 3

The best part of this episode is -- now there are only 2 episodes left.  And the end can't come soon enough.

The CW: "Viewers still aren't turning in for our reruns or our Canadian imports, so we have decided to spread these last two episodes out until November!  The 100 will never die!!"

• LOL 1

The 100 writers posted some script excerpts from this episode. They removed Octavia saying goodbye to her brother and that she loves him altogether, leaving only Clarke feelings sorry for herself and everyone forgiving her immediately. The writing this season remains unparalleled.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, CooperTV said:

The 100 writers posted some script excerpts from this episode. They removed Octavia saying goodbye to her brother and that she loves him altogether, leaving only Clarke feelings sorry for herself and everyone forgiving her immediately. The writing this season remains unparalleled.

Grr. I'm not a big Bellamy or Octavia fan, but, with that said, their relationship has always been a center part of the show right from the first episode, and a big churner of the plot, and it would have been nice to see that acknowledged with that bit of dialogue.

• Love 3
On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 1:19 PM, tennisgurl said:

I cant even decide which villain is lamer, and the fact that neither of them are dead, despite plenty of opportunities for the gang to kill them, just screams of writers who think these losers are more interesting than they are. 

I couldn't agree more! I feel like I'm watching a  Wile E. Coyote cartoon, this guy just won't die and it's stupid!

I'm wondering if Earth is green now because they went farther in the future then they thought?

That better be a fucking fake out at the end with Murphy and Emori.

• Love 2