Type keyword(s) to search

We Hunt Together - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It's a 6-episode UK show, picked up by Showtime, premiering on Sunday, 8/9/2020.

Can't find too many reviews for it, not even from the better-known UK media.

One part of it involves at least one rookie working his first murder investigation, paired with someone else.

I scanned a brief review which says they don't hide who perpetrated the crime that they're investigating.  So the focus in on how the cops and the villains deal with each other.  Apparently 2 cops and 2 criminals.

Well, UK cop shows are generally good and who knows when we'll get new episodes of the good shows, like Succession.

• Love 3

The "rookie" [black male] outranks the homicide veteran [white female]. He advanced quickly due to a stellar record in Anti-Corruption [Internal Affairs] and requested the transfer.

• Useful 1

Episodes 1 - 3 Summary: Zap2It

1. Former child soldier Baba rescues Freddy from a sexual assault; detectives Lola Franks and Jackson Mendy investigate the murder of the pair's first victim.
  2. Lola and Jackson find one thing they can agree on after interviewing Freddy; Freddy and Baba seize upon an opportunity to solve two problems with another killing.
  3. Freddy and Baba flee the city with victim number three in the trunk of the car, while Jackson and Lola make a breakthrough over a cup of green tea.

Edited by paigow
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I was and still am a bit leery. First episode was ok, so I'll try the second. Eve Myles is usually a deal-breaker for me, dating back to Torchwood, but she looks pretty rough here, so we'll see. I like her partner. It may wind up too serial killery for my taste.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 main characters are good.

Always nice to learn about other cultures.

In this episode, we learn not to mess with bathroom attendants.

And certainly not linger around the place where the bathroom attendance works.

I don’t think they’ve established that Freddie is capable of murder or at least get Baba to murder.  She likes him, doesn’t want him deported so gets him to kill Simon?  Also she really didn’t want to have sex with Simon.

OK they took the mystery out.  While Baba is a hardened murderer, he and Freddie are not criminal masterminds.  They must have left all kinds of physical evidence.

Unless they that these two have killed before in the U.K., no way they should be able to evade capture or at least being found out.

• Love 2
On 8/10/2020 at 8:39 AM, Ms Lark said:

Eve Myles is usually a deal-breaker for me, dating back to Torchwood, but she looks pretty rough here

I thought you might mean because she’s not Faith Howells prancing around the piers in blue six inch heels. 😆 She was stunning in that (Keeping Faith). I didn’t see Torchwood so don’t know how she was there. I think she looks fine here though. I guess they’re portraying her as a gritty cop. I liked it. Will keep watching. 

On 8/7/2020 at 2:23 AM, scrb said:

Can't find too many reviews for it, not even from the better-known UK media.

I think it aired on one of the more obscure TV channels in the UK so not much exposure. That’s why there aren’t many reviews or comments anywhere. I’m glad showtime picked it up.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 8/10/2020 at 2:21 AM, sheetmoss said:

I really enjoyed the episode esp the 2 detectives storyline

I enjoyed it as well. Especially as you noted, the interaction between the two detectives. I wonder if all the murders will be revenge based to get rid of troublesome people in their lives or whether Bonnie and Clyde develop a liking for killing and go nuts with it. 

• Love 2
On 8/10/2020 at 1:39 PM, Ms Lark said:

I was and still am a bit leery. First episode was ok, so I'll try the second. Eve Myles is usually a deal-breaker for me, dating back to Torchwood, but she looks pretty rough here, so we'll see. I like her partner. It may wind up too serial killery for my taste.

I loathed her character in Torchwood so much that it took a while for me to be able to watch EM in anything else, but the trailers looked good so I watched it when it aired in the UK and I'm really glad that I gave it a chance. 

There didn't seem to be an awful lot of publicity around it that I noticed.  And they aired two eps a week on Alibi, so it felt like they were trying to get it out of the way.  Hopefully though there'll be second season. 

• Love 2

I really like this show, even though the only likeable character is the black cop. I can't understand why it would get bad reviews. It's a million times better than the over-hyped Lovecraft Country.

I wish it was more than 6 episodes, though. It's already 1/3 over!

• Love 3
On 8/18/2020 at 4:49 AM, Lily H said:

I really like this show, even though the only likeable character is the black cop. I can't understand why it would get bad reviews. It's a million times better than the over-hyped Lovecraft Country.

I wish it was more than 6 episodes, though. It's already 1/3 over!

I like it too. But I like a lot of British shows that people in the UK have put down. I guess we’re not as discerning here. 😄

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

That whole rat storyline is funny. The cereal scene... eww. I had to chuckle when it showed her tinkering with the electrical rat zapping device after she vehemently refused to get it. Desperate measures.

• Love 1

Well, I for one, LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this gritty and nasty little show. But I adore all British detective murder shows. I think it is very well made, and am trying to get everybody I know to catch this terrific series. I think this show is best if you watch at least two episodes at a time! 

• Love 2

Summary: Episodes 4 - 6 [Zap2it] 

• Baba and Freddy got away with murder and they celebrate with a trip to Freddy's old school; Lola and Jackson wander around in search of a stick.
  • As Freddy's dark history surfaces, Lola and Jackson race to connect the dots in time to save the next victim.
  • Trapped in a remote cottage, Baba and Freddy face the end of the road.
  • Love 1

DSI Susan: “Jesus you two! You’re like the kids from The Shining.” 🤣 They did look like those kids, standing in the corridor waiting for her. That was last week’s, just catching up. 

So this week, Psycho Lily/Freddy. Seems she had a few things muddled in her head!

Still loving the interaction with Jackson and Lola. One more episode to go. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

THIS SHOW IS TERRIFIC AND YET NOBODY IS WATCHING IT....OH WELL. 

I am watching! But I always seem to be drawn to obscure series/shows.

Love Eve Myles ever since Torchwood.

I, of course, am rooting for Freddy (Lily) and Baba. They are certainly not masterminds but Freddy is a hot mess and those are my favorite kinds of characters. I think I have one more ep left? Looks like they are not going to get away because the end of the ep had that one dude pull a gun on Freddy and Baba as she was trying to steal the truck.

• Love 1
On 9/11/2020 at 4:16 PM, taanja said:

I am watching! But I always seem to be drawn to obscure series/shows.

You might be interested in The Frankenstein Chronicles. Another good one that a lot of people missed. It was shown on an obscure channel in the UK and barely noticed. It’s not about Dr. Frankenstein or the creature. It’s a crime drama. But Mary Shelley does make an appearance and her book is involved. There are two seasons. The first stars one of my favorite actors, Sean Bean, and the second season another favorite, Laurence Fox. It’s on Netflix now.

• Love 1

Finally, the finale! I watched early. It's a good episode, but I found the cliffhanger ending rather unsatisfying.

I did like her partner, Jackson, but other than that, it was a slog to get though the season. I doubt, given the lack of ratings and poor reviews, that it will be renewed. Although, who knows?

Edited by Ms Lark
Remove spoiler after show aired in its normal time.

Wow, this was crap.  Baba takes the fall, and Lily is a psychotic piece of work.  She murdered her friend Frederika,, blamed the headmaster for something he didn't do, and then pushed and then pushed him down the stairs, paralyzing him.  Now, she murdered him, for no reason. 

The ending where she gleefully gets away with every murder pissed me off, and I wish I hadn't wasted the time or energy in watching this show.  

• Love 2

Finally just watched the 6th ep of the series.

Haha! I hope Freddy gets away!I really do! To kill another day! 

Anyway Baba sacrificed himself for Freddy and I wasn't sure the entire time in that cabin/house where any of that was going -- I kept expecting Freddy to somehow split and leave both those dudes far behind. But that final scene with Baba was good. Freddy admitting that she wants to love him but is incapable of such emotions. 

I loved Freddy's smirk and wink to Lola at the end! Bwaa! I don't know who the little actress is but i just loved her.

So I take it this show's premise is really about the two detectives and how they solve crimes? Ha! I of course was diggin' on the Freddy/Baba shit and the detective solving crime stuff was just background noise. 

Anywho... will there be a second season????

• Love 1
On 9/15/2020 at 11:29 AM, taanja said:

Finally just watched the 6th ep of the series.

Haha! I hope Freddy gets away!I really do! To kill another day! 

Anyway Baba sacrificed himself for Freddy and I wasn't sure the entire time in that cabin/house where any of that was going -- I kept expecting Freddy to somehow split and leave both those dudes far behind. But that final scene with Baba was good. Freddy admitting that she wants to love him but is incapable of such emotions. 

I loved Freddy's smirk and wink to Lola at the end! Bwaa! I don't know who the little actress is but i just loved her.

So I take it this show's premise is really about the two detectives and how they solve crimes? Ha! I of course was diggin' on the Freddy/Baba shit and the detective solving crime stuff was just background noise. 

Anywho... will there be a second season????

I wasn’t quite as gleeful as you were about Freddy getting away but I like that it wasn’t an ending wrapped up with a pretty bow. The bad guys often get away with murder (pardon the pun). 

The acting was good all round and I enjoyed all the characters. I especially liked the dynamic between Jackson and Lola.  I wouldn’t mind another season of this. They have to do some decent promotion of the series. And not hide it on obscure channels!

• Love 2

And on Crave in Canada. Already all episodes up on the app, and on TV at 11:30 p.m. and 12:20 a.m. starting tonight, two episodes back to back each week.

So S02.E01, they found a way to keep the Freddy character on.  She's now a celebrity, someone who survived the murderous plans of Baba.  I forget how she avoided being arrested for the things she egged on Baba to do.

She's having flashbacks of her and Baba.  Is that suppose to means she's sentimental about him, even though she's always smirking like she doesn't care whatever misfortune befalls to others?

Now she may be inspiring some murderer -- probably going to be a serial killer, not stopping at the jogging dad -- and she seems happy about it or at least not repulsed.  She liked finding the wedding band of the guy she met at speed dating and fucked and she liked receiving the severed finger on which the band fits.

She's not scared when the power went out in her flat nor when she saw the severed finger.  In fact, she grabs a knife, ready for some action.

Lola of course holds a grudge because she thinks Freddy got away with murder, literally.  Jackson is still the happy detective, still game for whatever Freddy is playing at.

The actress playing Freddy is pretty but they really overdo it showing closeups of her face, just to show all the smirking she does.

She likes to draw snake eyes and in one brief flash, they turn one of her drawings into the eyes of a nocturnal predator, like in the opening sequence.

If Freddy is going to be Lola and Jackson's main quarry, how long can they keep the show going?

14 hours ago, aghst said:

So S02.E01, they found a way to keep the Freddy character on.  She's now a celebrity, someone who survived the murderous plans of Baba.  I forget how she avoided being arrested for the things she egged on Baba to do.

IIRC, season 1 ended with Baba pretending that Freddy was his hostage.  He committed suicide by cop and in a dying declaration took full responsibility for the crimes and leaving Freddy in the clear. 

• Love 1

I wonder if the finger on the ice added a bit of flavor to Liam’s drink. 😄

Oh Freddy, I don’t think that was a wise move pissing off Birdman. He won’t be happy.

First she's shocked that Birdman killed off the TV presenter as she nudged -- BTW, wouldn't her tweets be visible?

Then Freddy returns to that smirk, like she got someone doing her bidding again.

(edited)

The looks on Lola and Jackson’s faces when the chocolate “finger” fell out of the gauze. 😄 Guess in season 3 they’ll find the old woman dead and learn the connection. And how do they get around releasing Freddy to prevent more of Birdman’s victims? Lola won’t be pleased about that!

Nico Mirallegro was fantastic as the Birdman. I like that they left it open for him to return if there’s another season. 

Edited by ferjy

Just finished it.

Freddy was going to go with it until the Birdman turned on her.

She “accidentally” stabs Henry while fleeing her nightmares and then confesses to killing his sister and then plunges the knife again into him.  She leaves the corpse there like it wasn’t going to trace back to her?

She’s good with the knife or the Birdman would have killed her.  She gets busted by camera on the bird hide.

So looks like she will be back if there’s another season.

Both Jackson and Lola will be back.  Wow, Jackson was cheated on and it completely changed his personality.  This time Lola had to try to buck him up when he’s all mopey and feeling fed up with being a detective, just as first season, Jackson had to get Lola into the game.

• Like 1

It wasn't an accident though.

She plunged the knife into him the second time.  The camera caught her pulling her arm back and then plunging it into him.

The first time probably wasn't as visible because there was no movement of the arm.

Even then, she'd have to hold the knife while holding her arm stiff rather than let it get pushed back.

It's a pretty violent crashing into a person.  If she didn't have a knife, it might be enough for them to be jolted back from the collision.  That is the kind of force it would take for the knife to penetrate that deeply.

If she let the knife drop or didn't hold her arm stiff, it likely wouldn't have penetrated deeply or at all.

She may have been scared about Henry being the Birdman and maybe trying to kill her in bed but she was ready with that knife under the pillow, ready to kill and ask questions later.

There's not much distance between egging on Baba or the Birdman to murder for her and actually stabbing people herself.

I don't know if the show runners want to bring her back if there are more seasons.  The way they wrote it, they must be expecting at least another season.

I just binged both seasons, and liked it a lot.  I had to get over my Eve Myles dislike (I hated how EVERY SINGLE MAN in both Torchwood and Leaving Eve fell in love with her), but she was perfect here. 

I'm not sure what it says about me, but I think my favorite moment was when Freddy swallowed the finger - why didn't she secrete it about her person the way Lola did for the drug test?  (Sorry, can't remember the exact phrase Lola used, but it was pretty funny).

I was a bit confused by the end though - what the bird cam caught was her stabbing Henry? If so, it seems like she'd get acquitted pretty easily  (since she is not only a stunning blonde but obviously a master manipulator of people - I could see her reading everyone she came in contact with, and deciding how to play it).  She must have known she either killed or seriously wounded him - so why would she think the texts came from him? 

I was also confused by the whole Mandy/Delingham thing, maybe a just wasn't paying attention. 

I'd like it if there were a season 3, but not sure Robert is really a compelling villain. 

Freddie is the main villain.  She controls the killers.

I guess the show runners are convinced that the actress is so good in the role.

She's nice to look at but not sure smirking all the time makes her an interesting villain.

12 hours ago, mjc570 said:

I'm not sure what it says about me, but I think my favorite moment was when Freddy swallowed the finger - why didn't she secrete it about her person the way Lola did for the drug test?  (Sorry, can't remember the exact phrase Lola used, but it was pretty funny).

I imagine she thought she might be searched. And her mind went to a different place than Lola's did!

The birdcam would offer very, very clear evidence that Freddie killed Henry. The first stab, sure, that was largely accidental; she was rushing out in a panic with the knife held before her, and ran into Henry with it - bad enough, but not murder. But her actions after that speak loud and clear. She pulled the knife out and then stabbed him with it again, a very deliberate action. She then ran off and left him instead of making any attempt to summon help. And all of that was caught on camera. There is no talking her way out of that, no matter how good of a manipulator she is.

That said, the show hasn't told us that her conviction is a done deal, it has told us only that she is being prosecuted, now that there is clear, unequivocal evidence against her, and that she is being held in custody pending trial. If there is a third season, she would still play a vital role, as Robert is seeking to blackmail the authorities to secure her release.

And of course she knew that Henry was either dead or seriously injured, that's why she was so creeped out and intrigued to receive texts from his phone. It was someone else playing her at her own game, and she didn't know what to make of it.

• Love 1