Type keyword(s) to search

Running Blind: Jack Reacher in the Media

• Start Topic

On 12/3/2021 at 4:43 PM, Hanahope said:

oh yeah, much better fit for the role than cruise.

The movies were just comical, with Tom "Short-Assed-Moses" Cruise paying playing the part of 6' 5" Jack "None" Reacher.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 1

Reacher, all 8 episodes release on Friday, February 4, 2022 on Amazon Prime Video. 
RCHR_S1_OneSheet_27x40_SHOULDER_PRE_en-U

RCHR_S1_OneSheet_27x40_FRONTAL_PRE_en-US

RCHR_S1_KeyArt_16x9_SHOULDER_PRE_en-US_t

This is a TV Series adaptation of Lee Child’s bestselling Jack Reacher novels of which there are over 26 novels to date. Season 1 is an adaptation of the first Jack Reacher novel, "Killing Floor" and introduces us to Jack Reacher right when he enters civilian life, after being a former US Army military police major. He is now a drifter, carrying no phone and the barest of essentials as he travels the country and explores the nation he once served. 
RCHR_S1_UT_108_210729_MAHSHA_00067R_thum

The Reacher from the books and this TV Series is a blond, six-foot-five, 250-pound, fist-first tough guy, a marked contrast to the character portrayed in the two Paramount movie adaptations Jack Reacher (2012) and  Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (2016) that starred Tom Cruise.
RCHR_S1_UT_102_210517_MAHSHA_00195R_thum

When Reacher arrives in the small town of Margrave, Georgia, he finds a community grappling with its first homicide in 20 years. The cops immediately arrest him and eyewitnesses claim to place Reacher at the scene of the crime. 

RCHR_S1_UT_101_210428_ANDKER_00859RC_thu

RCHR_S1_UT_101_210502_ANDKER_00224RC_thu

While he works to prove his innocence, a conspiracy begins to emerge, one that will require Reacher’s keen mind and hard-hitting fists to deal with. One thing above all is for sure: They picked the wrong guy to take the fall.

Malcolm Goodwin as Chief Detective Oscar Finlay a Harvard-educated, tweed suit-wearing Northerner who recently relocated to the small town of Margrave to take a job in the Margrave Police Department.
RCHR_S1_UT_104_210603_MAHSHA_00102R_thum

Willa Fitzgerald  as Officer Roscoe Conklin, who was born and raised in Margrave and is a smart and proud officer in the Margrave PD. She is resilient and is intimidated by nothing and no one.

Currie Graham as Kliner Sr. Beloved by the townspeople for his generosity in saving the struggling town of Margrave, this formidable businessman has a very dark side.

Chris Webster  as KJ Kliner, the spoiled son of businessman and town benefactor Kliner Sr. KJ thinks the town and townspeople, especially Roscoe, belong to him. 

Hugh Thompson  as Officer Baker, the head cop of Margrave. Officer Baker enjoys his position of power but hates Chief Detective Oscar Finlay.

Maria Sten as Frances Neagley She formerly worked under Reacher as an Army MP and now is a private investigator, and is Reacher’s best friend.

Harvey Guillén as Jasper Margrave’s medical examiner who is suddenly overwhelmed and terrified by multiple murders in his small town.

Marc Bendavid  as Paul Hubble, a frazzled accountant living a grander life than he can afford and gets caught up in a business he would never remotely consider. Hubble loves his family and will do whatever’s necessary to protect them.

Kristin Kreuk  as Charlene "Charlie" Hubble. Happily married to Hubble, this refined former debutante is living the Country Club life but is much tougher than she looks.

Willie C. Carpenter  as Mosley, a life-long resident of Margrave and the town barber, Mosley hates what’s going on in Margrave and is happy to help Reacher, advising him on the ins and outs of the small town.

Maxwell Jenkins as Young Reacher He learns the life lessons that make Jack Reacher the man that he becomes.

Leslie Fray as Josephine Reacher, the mother of Jack Reacher

Bruce McGill as Mayor Teale, the distinguished mayor of Margrave, who comes from a long line of Southern gentlemen who have run Margrave for decades. 

Nick Santora is the writer, executive producer and showrunner of the series. Lee Child, Don Granger, Scott Sullivan, David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Bill Bost are also executive producers. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Season 1 is an adaptation of the first Jack Reacher novel, "Killing Floor" and introduces us to Jack Reacher right when he enters civilian life, after being a former US Army military police major.

Funnily enough I just finished (re) reading that book a few days before I heard about the TV adaptation. I'm really looking forward to the show.

Heard a review on NPR Fresh Air.  Reviewer liked it but described it as a former military guy deciding to go vigilante as he goes from town to town.

He wants to get off the grid or keep a low profile so he pays cash for everything — where does he get cash?

But he’s this behemoth who raises hell wherever he goes?  How does that work with keeping a low profile?

5 hours ago, aghst said:

He wants to get off the grid or keep a low profile so he pays cash for everything — where does he get cash?

I can tell that you probably are a stranger to the books!

He is retired from the Army, where he served as an officer for a number of years. He gets his Army pension, plus any savings he accumulated from his pay, over the years. And I believe he got a good separation package from the Army, too!

I think it isn't accurate to say he wants to be a vigilante. He just wants to hitchhike around from one cup of coffee to another and see the country, while being left alone. But if people mess with him (which they do), he don't stand still and take it, much.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, aghst said:

Heard a review on NPR Fresh Air.  Reviewer liked it but described it as a former military guy deciding to go vigilante as he goes from town to town.

But he’s this behemoth who raises hell wherever he goes?  How does that work with keeping a low profile?

An ATM? Just kidding, as a recently retired Major figure around $4000/month direct deposit as his pension. His era didn't have the option of getting a check and cash pay. I figure he would be portrayed more like a guy playing a wood flute on his walkabout than having a Rambo short sword when the cops first encounter him.

6 hours ago, Netfoot said:

I can tell that you probably are a stranger to the books!

He is retired from the Army, where he served as an officer for a number of years. He gets his Army pension, plus any savings he accumulated from his pay, over the years. And I believe he got a good separation package from the Army, too!

I think it isn't accurate to say he wants to be a vigilante. He just wants to hitchhike around from one cup of coffee to another and see the country, while being left alone. But if people mess with him (which they do), he don't stand still and take it, much.

also in the books, whenever he fights and incapacitates a bad guy, he takes whatever is in their wallet as "spoils of war".  

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, aghst said:

Seriously, a vigilante and a thief?

As I said before, he isn't a vigilante. But he won't stand around and take shit from anyone, so if you are robbing the cafe where he is drinking coffee... well, I hope you like hospital food!

And although I've read a fair number of "Reacher" novels, I don't recall him taking any money off anyone.

The guy carried nothing in his pocket except a toothbrush, so he don't need much cash, and what he wants, he gets sent to him by Western Union from the bank near the Pentagon, where he deposited his separation package and has his pension deposited.

He also does odd jobs, like digging pools or working in a bar, etc, to get some extra change as needed.

41 minutes ago, aghst said:

So he only beats up bad guys right, never makes a mistake?

Correct. He only beats up those who pick a fight with him, and he never makes a mistake about that.

• Love 2

I watched the first two episodes (they were available here in PA/US on Thursday Feb 3) and liked them a lot.  Alan Ritchson is exactly my idea of book Reacher, big of course), quiet.  I must say, violence + humor is really what I like.  I also liked seeing Malcolm Goodwin again, he's always been a fave since iZombie.

One thing I miss are the voice overs - in the book, Reacher is constantly figuring out angles and calculating the appropriate actions to take, as well as a lot of discussion about Army training, how it really does over almost every potential situation.

I'll definitely keep watching.

1 hour ago, UnknownK said:

Renewed for Season 2 already.

Reacher: Multiverse of Murder

While walking on a highway in New Mexico, Reacher is struck by lightning. Slightly stunned, he hears a voice asking if he is OK. He looks around and sees a short, dark haired man kneeling next to him. "Thanks buddy, my name is Reacher" "No shit! What are the odds??!!"

• LOL 1
5 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I wonder if Alan Ritchson is going to be the only member of the cast to return.

Well, Reacher has moved on, so unless Neagley puts in an appearance....

Although, come to think of it, there might be some flashback Reacher, Joe, Mom and Dad.

Edited by Netfoot
On 2/3/2022 at 12:51 PM, Netfoot said:

And although I've read a fair number of "Reacher" novels, I don't recall him taking any money off anyone

Oh yeah he did, often enough, but not every book.  Sure he had his army pension but he supplemented it with bad guys.  Eventually he gets a bank account and a debit card too.

(edited)

Via DeadlineNielsen ratings details for Reacher's debut weekend

Reacher, the new incarnation of the Lee Child action thriller franchise, hit more than 1.8 billion minutes. That was the best tally by any of the eight Prime Video series to have reached at least 1 billion minutes in a week.

Two-thirds of the Reacher’s audience were aged 50 and older, including 41% between 50 and 64 and the show’s audience was 58% male, Nielsen said.

The data is for the week of January 31st to February 6th (Monday to Sunday).  Reacher had "just three days of eligibility and only eight episodes" (TVLine write-up) during that period.

Edited by Just Here

‘Reacher’: Maria Sten To Return For Season 2 As Star Alan Ritchson Says Series Will Cover ‘Bad Luck And Trouble’ Book

Maria Sten will return in Season 2 as Frances Neagley, who also served in the same Military Police Special Investigations Unit (the U.S. Army’s 110th), as Jack Reacher. The plot: “When the members of Reacher’s old military unit start turning up dead, Reacher has just one thing on his mind — revenge.”

‘Reacher’ Rounds Out Season 2 Cast With Serinda Swan, Ferdinand Kingsley, Rory Cochrane, More

Serinda-Swan-Ferdinand-Kingsley-Rory-Coc

Serinda Swan,   Ferdinand Kingsley,   Rory Cochrane

Josh Blacker plays Hortense Fields. Lieutenant Colonel in the Army who oversees Reacher’s Elite 110th – Special Investigator’s Unit.

Serinda Swan as Karla Dixon who served with Reacher in the Army’s unit of Special Investigators. She’s an extremely intelligent private investigator who has no problem holding her own in a fight against men much larger than she is.

Luke Bilyk as Calvin Franz, former member of Reacher’s Special Investigator Task Force

Dean McKenzie as Stan Lowery, former member of Reacher’s Special Investigator Task Force

Edsson Morales as Manuel Orozco, former member of Reacher’s Special Investigator Task Force

Andres Collantes as Jorge Sanchez, former member of Reacher’s Special Investigator Task Force

Shannon Kook-Chun as Tony Swan, former member of Reacher’s Special Investigator Task Force

Ferdinand Kingsley plays A.M. He’s what Homeland Security calls a “ghost;” he operates under a number of aliases and can pass for any nationality. Money is his only motivation, and he’ll work for the highest bidder.

Ty Victor Olsson as Saropian. A brutal professional hitman who is charged with following members of Reacher’s old elite military squad.

Rory Cochrane plays Shane Langston. He’s a streetwise former NYPD detective with a questionable track record who is now head of security for a private defense contractor.

Domenick Lombardozzi is Guy Russo. He’s a tough NYPD detective who’s investigating a case that involves several of Reacher’s former Army cohorts.

Al Sapienza as Marsh. He’s a formidable lieutenant with the NYPD.

Robert Patrick has replaced Rory Cochrane who was playing Shane Langston, a streetwise former NYPD detective with a questionable track record who is now head of security for a private defense contractor.

Me too.  By the way, with regards to Season 1 -- I just finished watching the Fall of the House of Usher (huge achievement for me, I'm such an incredible fraidy cat, so afraid of scary stuff), and it took me awhile to realize that Roscoe from Season 1, who is tough and straightforward but loyal, brave, and truth-seeking, also played a character on House of Usher who is so ruthlessly cold you can almost freeze to death just while watching her performance (Willa Fitzgerald).  She is not returning for season 2, unfortunately, that's not how Reacher operates.

‘Reacher’ Renewed for Season 3 at Amazon Ahead of Season 2 Premiere

Reacher Season 2    first 3 of 8 episodes on December 15, 2023      Prime Video

"Reacher" Season Two begins when veteran military police investigator Jack Reacher (Alan Ritchson) receives a coded message that the members of his former U.S. Army unit, the 110th MP Special Investigations, are being mysteriously and brutally murdered one by one. Pulled from his drifter lifestyle, Reacher reunites with three of his former teammates turned chosen family to investigate, including Frances Neagley (Maria Sten); Karla Dixon (Serinda Swan), a forensic accountant for whom Reacher has long had a soft spot; and fast-talking, switchblade-wielding family man David O’Donnell (Shaun Sipos). Together, they begin to connect the dots in a mystery where the stakes get higher at every turn, and that brings about questions of who has betrayed them—and who will die next. Using his inimitable blend of smarts and size, Reacher will stop at nothing to uncover the truth and protect the members of his unit. If there’s one thing Reacher and his team know for certain, it’s that you do not mess with the Special Investigators. This season, get ready for Reacher and the 110th to hit back hard.

Reacher is pulled from his vagabond life by a coded message informing him that a member of the 110th - his elite group of Army Special Investigators - has been murdered. He and some of his former military cohorts reunite to investigate and soon realize the case is bigger than they ever could have imagined.

Robert Patrick as Shane Langston, the head of security for a private defense contractor with a questionable track record (the role was originally cast with Rory Cochrane)

• Like 2

Alan Ritchson is the guest on the latest Inside of You podcast being interviewed by arguably the best Lex Luthor, Michael Rosenbaum. At around the 7 minute mark he talks about the challenges of maintain Reacher's bulk as he ages into his 40's.