Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Who's the fairest of them all?

• Start Topic

28 minutes ago, Camera One said:

Oh right... we got those 2 hour events.  Seriously... how can you get an extra hour and waste every minute of it.

How do you get entire seasons and waste every minute of it? *cough* S4 *cough*

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 5
On 11/26/2016 at 0:35 PM, Souris said:

Probably because December ratings traditionally suck.

True, but long breaks haven't exactly helped either, but I guess it's to make it last til May as usual.

6 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

How do you get entire seasons and waste every minute of it? *cough* S4 *cough*

That also applies for the last few seasons as well, especially this one.

On 11/26/2016 at 1:35 PM, Souris said:

Probably because December ratings traditionally suck.

Yes,  but advertisers pay premiums to advertise during Dec.  Which is why Dungey originally wanted to air more new episodes of regular programming.  

I dont know what happened, but whatever Dungey's team had planned was abandoned in favor of a plan that more closely resembled what Lee did.

• Love 1

Probably because the return of the full-season format and hype of Aladdin & Jasmine wasn't boosting the ratings liked they'd hoped.

They'll probably cancel the show at S7, which is a shame given that a more sensible decision would be to keep it going but fire A&E.

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 1

They're moving Quantico to Mondays, good let it die there. It's a crap show no matter what ABC tries to do and moving it is not gonna do much of anything for it.  

They'll probably cancel the show at S7, which is a shame given that a more sensible decision would be to keep it going but fire A&E.

A&E have said the show would go 7 seasons. I honestly don't see them continuing past that unless there's like a sequel to the series and it may follow the children of all the couples grown up or at least in teens.

Edited by Hookian
  • Love 1

A&E have said the show would go 7 seasons. I honestly don't see them continuing past that unless there's like a sequel to the series and it may follow the children of all the couples grown up or at least in teens.

And it'll be a Netflix original, hyped up like the Gilmore Girls revival. Then a bunch of supposed Oncers will come out of the woodwork. 

Edited by KingOfHearts
15 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

And it'll be a Netflix original, hyped up like the Gilmore Girls revival. Then a bunch of supposed Oncers will come out of the woodwork. 

Robyn/Neal and CS daughter/Gideon will be the pairings, just watch,lol. CS son named Liam or whatever will be too young and Henry's in college so he never appears lol.

Edited by Hookian
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Mathius said:

Probably because the return of the full-season format and hype of Aladdin & Jasmine wasn't boosting the ratings liked they'd hoped.

At this point, their cards have been played out ever since they used Frozen as their trump card for that short lived boost.

It seems like they made a deal that got them stuck with A & E for the show early on.  It should've had a overhaul in the writing dept. a long time ago.

They're moving Quantico to Mondays, good let it die there. It's a crap show no matter what ABC tries to do and moving it is not gonna do much of anything for it.  

Yep, I knew they were desperate after that all fractional night, either they dump in new shows to fill in those slots or plug in other low rated shows.

Edited by Free
  • Love 1

Personally, I'm glad the original writers--however many weaknesses they have--weren't/aren't going to be removed from the show. They created it and kept it going for nearly 7 seasons now, they deserve to finish it however they choose to. *shrug*

Glad Quantico was moved (and likely will be cancelled?). Never liked that show.

Jan 22 is the AFC & NFC Championship Games and then Feb 5 is Superbowl, Feb 12 Grammy's and Feb 26 Oscars.  

But who knows.  ABC's scheduling is a disaster this season.  Jeff Bader, now head of scheduling at NBC did some dumb things, but he was never this bad.  

• Love 1

Yep, I knew they were desperate after that all fractional night, either they dump in new shows to fill in those slots or plug in other low rated shows.

Au contraire. I think they're rescuing Quantico from the cesspool of Sunday night. As someone here said, it makes a lot of money internationally.

I actually think it means they've given up on Sundays this year and are just going to ride it out until season 7. Then next year, I bet they either move OUAT off the night entirely or shift it to 9PM, leading out of a new, promising series. Feed it to the Walking Dead/Game of Thrones wolves, because it will likely be the last season and they'd rather sacrifice it than a new show.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

Game of Thrones wolves

Direwolves if you please! 

My problem with Once is how they waste their episodes. they waste them in a 22 episode arc and they waste them in an 11 episode arc. There's really no winning whether ABC gives them a full order or orders only 13 episodes.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

Au contraire. I think they're rescuing Quantico from the cesspool of Sunday night. As someone here said, it makes a lot of money internationally.

I actually think it means they've given up on Sundays this year and are just going to ride it out until season 7. Then next year, I bet they either move OUAT off the night entirely or shift it to 9PM, leading out of a new, promising series. Feed it to the Walking Dead/Game of Thrones wolves, because it will likely be the last season and they'd rather sacrifice it than a new show.

Right, as I posted before Quantico is making a ton of money for ABC Studios. So this is the network trying to save it by giving it the demo friendly Bachelor as a leadin and eventually viewer strong Dancing.  Its only aires 9 eps thus far, so it should be able to run repeat free from then until the end of the season if Bachelor does its usual 10pm specials the last few weeks.  

There's been somewhat dueling talk of putting American Crime & that gay rights doc on Sundays after the Oscars, and of bringing the game show trio back as early as late Apr.  But im increasingly getting the feeling that ABC is throwing in the towel on Sundays for the season.

• Love 2

If Conviction couldn't get squat from the demo friendly Bachelor/Dancing lead in, what on Earth makes people think a sophomore show will do any differently?

It's a stupid move and if anything it's gonna highlight how Quantico is a failure no matter where it goes.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Hookian said:

If Conviction couldn't get squat from the demo friendly Bachelor/Dancing lead in, what on Earth makes people think a sophomore show will do any differently?

It's a stupid move and if anything it's gonna highlight how Quantico is a failure no matter where it goes.

This is getting off-topic, but Conviction never had Bachelor leadin not does it have the strong dvr numbers that Quantico has.  It also doesnt have the international that Quantico has.  

But really, ABC didnt have any other options.  Still Star Crossed and The Catch have been plagued with behind the scenes issues and god knows when they'll be ready to air.  And American Crime or the gay rights doc would have been downright odd out of Bachelor/Dancing.  

With Quantico they'll just doubledown on the marketing of 'come look at Priyanka Chopra and these generic shirtless guys'. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Right, as I posted before Quantico is making a ton of money for ABC Studios. So this is the network trying to save it by giving it the demo friendly Bachelor as a leadin and eventually viewer strong Dancing.  Its only aires 9 eps thus far, so it should be able to run repeat free from then until the end of the season if Bachelor does its usual 10pm specials the last few weeks.  

Well, that at least makes more sense than having OUaT be its lead in--and not just because of OUaT's low ratings.  I just can't see there being a lot of carry-over audience from "fairy tale soap" to "spy drama."  I don't know that I've ever seen more than the first 3 minutes of Quantico.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Eolivet said:

I'm not sure if that audience is going to save it let alone drag it on to syndication that's most likely going to sink as low as bottom tier CW shows, but it's ABC.

7 minutes ago, Hookian said:

You know I wonder if OUAT will with a final 7th season, potentially also promote Moana as coming into the show, if it is a full season. That's sure to give them a ratings boost.

I'm not sure if any gimmicks would work nowadays, that was back when OuaT was much stronger and they've clearly been burned out trying to throw as many characters on the wall to see if it sticks.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Hookian said:

You know I wonder if OUAT will with a final 7th season, potentially also promote Moana as coming into the show, if it is a full season. That's sure to give them a ratings boost.

Mulan, distraught at being the third wheel again, will go meet up with Moana and Pocahontas, but then they'll get married and Mulan will be alone again.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, jjjmoss said:

AFHV is increasingly looking like the star of ABC Sundays. And it probably costs very little money.

Which is why I think they'll re-brand and re-build Sundays as a true family night next season with AFV leading into relocated comedies and Shark Tank, with Once shoved into the 10pm death slot.

For years CBS has used the slot to dump aging shows that they no longer give a damn about.  Moving forward, I think ABC will do the same.

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Tiger said:

Which is why I think they'll re-brand and re-build Sundays as a true family night next season with AFV leading into relocated comedies and Shark Tank, with Once shoved into the 10pm death slot.

For years CBS has used the slot to dump aging shows that they no longer give a damn about.  Moving forward, I think ABC will do the same.

I don't think they will disrespect one of their most successful shows in a long time for that.

I think they'll let it go out the way it always has, at eight pm or 9 perhaps.

• Love 2

TV is still a business, if it makes business sense to move it they will. The execs have no particular feelings about a 6 year old show that's bleeding audience. It may not be moved but if they don't there will be a business reason not to.

• Love 6

Exactly. It's not like the Show's a cult favorite either. Fox moved Fringe to the Friday night death-slot for Season 4 when the ratings became really low, and still gave it a reduced Season 5 to complete its story properly. That way, they combined business with rewarding viewer loyalty. And maybe they were also afraid to accrue the wrath of another set of Sci-Fi fans after the cancellation of Firefly. ;-) 

LOST lost a lot of viewers over the course of six seasons, but it had a rabid following. Despite the Twitter nuts, OUAT is simply not that popular. I don't think they'll outright cancel the show at the end of the season. But I seriously doubt OUAT is getting a full order for season 7. Its time of broadcast is bound to be changed as well. 

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Rumsy4 said:

Exactly. It's not like the Show's a cult favorite either. Fox moved Fringe to the Friday night death-slot for Season 4 when the ratings became really low, and still gave it a reduced Season 5 to complete its story properly. That way, they combined business with rewarding viewer loyalty. And maybe they were also afraid to accrue the wrath of another set of Sci-Fi fans after the cancellation of Firefly. ;-) 

LOST lost a lot of viewers over the course of six seasons, but it had a rabid following. Despite the Twitter nuts, OUAT is simply not that popular. I don't think they'll outright cancel the show at the end of the season. But I seriously doubt OUAT is getting a full order for season 7. Its time of broadcast is bound to be changed as well. 

It's one of their top dramas on the network, even now. New shows can't even get OUAT ratings and who knows how far Designated Survivor will fall before it's first season is up.

• Love 2

Their sign of respect will be allowing it one last season and not cancelling it outright, even though this season will end up at the same numbers (or less) as OUATIW, which was cancelled outright since it was just one season long.  It's at the point where they know that the series is out of steam.

I think ratings DROPPING rather than rising after Aladdin and Jasmine's debut was the nail in the coffin, personally.

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 4

Honestly, that the only real suspense for me. 

If the show will sustain mostly ,9 and 1.0  throughout all the year.

And, in a  rating world where show( I now like better like Lucifer) at their second season get just above 1.0.  it's not the worst thing for a six seasons old show or springs rating will bring somes .8  and rating similar to cw show.

Because, if there a couple of .8   season 7 will  probably be shortened. But, I am fine with it because I mostly want to know how the characters story will end.

8 hours ago, daxx said:

TV is still a business, if it makes business sense to move it they will. The execs have no particular feelings about a 6 year old show that's bleeding audience. It may not be moved but if they don't there will be a business reason not to.

Exactly. TV is a business first and foremost. Respect has very little, if any, role in network decisions. It's all about the $$$$. I doubt ABC even really cares about working with A&E again at this point, so it's not like they'd even take that relationship into account.

• Love 2

I wouldn't be surprised if the show is moved to later on Sunday night, but I doubt it would be moved to a different day or receive a shorted season (unless by shortened you mean 21-22 episodes instead of 23-24). Respect isn't just for the showrunners, but the show's audience.

Dungey, Sherwood, and Iger ONLY care about Once or any property in terms of (i) can it make money for the company, and (ii) if so, can it make more than another option.

Come spring, if the Mouse House decides that something else can make more money than Once then its gone. 

Hollywood does not care about "the fans", "the process" or anything else except for money.

• Love 6

At least in the past, Once was recognized to have a unique demographic with lots of families watching, which made it appealing to some advertisers. Lower ratings in the key demo weren't quite as big a deal because of the niche demo the show was offering.  I don't know that this show still fits that demo because it's gotten so dark that I don't think I'd let younger kids watch. I know several large families that quit watching due to the content of later seasons. Anecdotal, but it fits with the decrease in ratings and while those younger viewers are not part of the coveted 18-49 demographic, they were very important to some advertisers - especially because they were watching with their parents. There is also a big tie in with those kids and the Disney properties on the show allowing for better cross promotion, which isn't such a big deal with the 18+ crowd.

If those younger viewers still exist in large enough numbers that it's still a consideration for the network, the show won't be moving to a later time slot.

Edited by KAOS Agent

Kaos, I think that's a great point. We keep basing this on the 18-49 demo ratings, but ABC may be looking at other numbers as well. Think about Freeform and their Descendants series. They just added Hook's son to the mix. Coincidence? Maybe. But it's a sign there's a younger market interested in fairy tales with a twist. There's also the merchandise -- think Funko pop and Hot Topic. And they get all that money because they own the show. I think the problem is too many of us are thinking about this using traditional Nielsen numbers when we should be thinking outside of that view to check on other tangibles and how that's affecting the monetary income for this show. 

• Love 2

Amazing how this is the only thread that has people worried about OUAT getting cancelled this season. Meanwhile every other TV Guru and comment section has it as basically a sure bet.

Just saying, I definitely believe it's coming abck for S7. Whether shortened or not is the question but I don't doubt it's coming back. Not when ABC is already in massive trouble with all of their shows.

• Love 2

It will definitely coming back at this point I have no doubts about it.

I am not sure if I am more what they will do,(mostly to the characters I care about) than happy for another season.

I am only wondering about short season or not? move to another to 9 stuff like that but not if will be back.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 8:22 AM, Rumsy4 said:

I think Lost already had 6 seasons planned several seasons in advanced, it was also still a big hit for the network at the time.  I think Fringe might've had other factors involved that allowed it to drag it to syndication.

They're sure to make a mess of it whether they get a short season order or a full one. A&E will want to bring in all their "favorite" old guest stars including Cora and Peter Pan, while trying to squish-in 20 new ones. And the inevitable Evil Queen-fest. At this point, I'm more concerned they finish this season without losing too many more viewers. If the ratings stay about the same, I think the Show will get a short season 7 order. If they continue sliding down, there won't be much chance for a renewal.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Rumsy4 said:

At this point, I'm more concerned they finish this season without losing too many more viewers. If the ratings stay about the same, I think the Show will get a short season 7 order. If they continue sliding down, there won't be much chance for a renewal.

I disagree, I think the show is a lock-in for a 7th season (most likely shortened) regardless of what happens to the ratings next year.  I know this because it got renewed for a 6th season before 5B even aired, based solely off of 5A's performance.  And since 6A's performance is weak but not cancellation-worthy, they'll greenlight the renewal for the 7th season, which they'll obviously let A&E know is the final season right off the bat.

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 3

When did they announce Season 6 last year? Is there a specific timeframe we should be looking out for to see if Season 7 is a done deal? December? January?

Edited by Curio

I expect the show to get a S7, whether shortened or not, but I also wouldn't be shocked if it didn't.

The S6 renewal was announced on March 3 last season. But just because that's when it was made last time doesn't mean that's when it would be made this time.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Hookian said:

Amazing how this is the only thread that has people worried about OUAT getting cancelled this season. Meanwhile every other TV Guru and comment section has it as basically a sure bet.

I don't think most of the people posting about it are worried. I think they're waiting for the cancellation so they can cheer, I guess. I get how hate-watching is a thing.

Edited by TheGreenKnight