Type keyword(s) to search

Vacation House Rules - General Discussion

• Start Topic

If you can use a chess board for checkers, then that's probably why the top of the pieces could be taken off, then you have a checkers set.     Cornhole would have been a good choice too.     I think as far North as the lake house it, a three season room would be so much more practical, than an open deck or screen room.    That way you could use the dining area through the rental season, without bugs attacking, or freezing the diners.   

• Love 6

I didn’t have any issue with sunroom & open deck. Each season gets a little of both to enjoy. Granted, the sunroom would gave been great to have but I’m guessing budget was an issue. Yup! I good with everything except the useless (to me anyway) game stuff (clutter) in the backyard. Does anyone have any idea the location? That is my major peeve with the show. They don’t even give the Providence’s and/or territories. I don’t need their address Scott but a location would be nice. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

Does anyone have any idea the location? That is my major peeve with the show. They don’t even give the Providence’s and/or territories. I don’t need their address Scott but a location would be nice. 

He very quickly said Trent Lakes, which is in Ontario. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

I wish he'd address how the septic system and grey-water tank is able to handle the extra full bathroom, dishwasher, washer & dryer, especially for a cottage built on granite.  Many cottage owners find that cannot afford to add the bigger septic system and grey-water tank required with their wished-for quadrupling of water usage.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 2
On 6/20/2021 at 9:48 AM, absolutelyido said:

If I rented a cabin for a week, I would want a deck or patio with lounge chairs and a true outdoor dining area. 

They can use the chess board...it was built just like a patio.  :)

• Love 6
10 hours ago, deirdra said:

I wish he'd address how the septic system and grey-water tank is able to handle the extra full bathroom, dishwasher, washer & dryer, especially for a cottage built on granite.  Many cottage owners find that cannot afford to add the bigger septic system and grey-water tank required with their wished-for quadrupling of water usage.

This is an extremely good point. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Just watched the one when Scott's family was on.  I just realized I cannot take Deb's voice.  It's the tone and it's nasal.  

Scott and her are very flirty on this show. 

Edited by NYGirl
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, NYGirl said:

Just watched the one when Scott's family was on.  I just realized I cannot take Deb's voice.  It's the tone and it's nasal.  

Scott and her are very flirty on this show. 

I mentioned that before! I thought they were a couple until that episode with the wife. 😆

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

"Farmhouse Getaway" an 1875 farmhouse, converted to a vacation house for the sister owners, and a short term rental.     There's a guest house, and original house, connected with two separate entrances for the original house, and another door for the second unit.

The kitchen is hideous. Bathroom #1 needs work.  The peeling paint on the living room tin ceiling is awful.   Scott wants to put two bedrooms upstairs, and price for rental goes from $175 a night now, to $300 a night, or more.  

Deborah having a hissy fit over the dead mouse, and Scott teasing her about was funny to me.    Deborah seemed OK with it too.   

The floating deck so it won't hurt the septic systems is so clever.     I had to laugh when Scott couldn't get the door upstairs. 

I didn't think I'd like the black kitchen cabinets, but I really do like them.     The house looks wonderful.  I really like that they were able to get full sized washer/dryer in the house too. Adding another bedroom is going to be so profitable.  I don't know how practical the outside deck will be most of the year.   

• Love 3
(edited)

I like the smaller one that was on the show, but the bigger house is spectacular too.   I wonder if they did that before or after the show updated the smaller unit?    So, $775 for the big one that sleeps 10, and $417 for the smaller one.    With even a few nights a week in the high season, that should certainly repay the work that went into both units.  

I'm guessing they had to do the larger house by themselves, because there is no way the show could do that space in one episode.   However, both homes certainly follow the same rustic country chic theme. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

Except for the bathroom being downstairs, I would like to live in that guesthouse.   
When Scott said to Deb, during the picture taking, “We look like brother and sister,” I said “No, you look like a couple!” 😏

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
On 6/26/2021 at 10:10 PM, buttersister said:

Holy whatever, Scott’s voice is annoying.

And, his Dad jokes are beyond annoying. It’s not even natural sounding. They’re so scripted which is even worse. 

• Love 3
On 6/26/2021 at 9:22 PM, Cancun said:

Rental listing for The Marigold episode tonight:

https://www.vrbo.com/9537307ha;

And this links to the “main house rental” portion of TheMarigold which we didn’t get to see in the episode.

https://www.vrbo.com/9537308ha?noDates=true&unitId=8616985

It look like they moved the big farmhouse table that was built. Now, it’s just a standard 4 seater wood table. I guess the father decided since he helped built the table it shouldn’t be outside. LOL!!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I didn't like the tin ceiling at Marigold, even though they apparently took any loose paint off, and sealed the rest.   I would have liked to see that painted white again.  I'm glad they moved the nice table into the house after the photos.     It was too good of a table to sit out in the weather. 

• Love 4
(edited)
13 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Couldn't stand that ceiling or peeling paint doors at Marigold. Those doors especially are a huge no go for me.

The ceilings were very low and would have looked much better painted white. The chipped off look makes me worry that there has been water damage and mold to breathe in. Pocket doors are much nicer than barn doors, which are sooo last decade. It would be nice to have at least a powder room upstairs so visitors aren't tripping down the stairs in the middle of the night.

Maybe Dad moved his table into the main house.  I don't know that it would even fit through the front or back door of the guest house.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, deirdra said:

The ceilings were very low and would have looked much better painted white. The chipped off look makes me worry that there has been water damage and mold to breathe in. Pocket doors are much nicer than barn doors, which are sooo last decade. It would be nice to have at least a powder room upstairs so visitors aren't tripping down the stairs in the middle of the night.

Maybe Dad moved his table into the main house.  I don't know that it would even fit through the front or back door of the guest house.

It looks like the he (they) did move it indoors in the main house. I’m still confused by the setup. Anyway, that table might be okay in the fall& summer but wouldn’t make it through a cold and snowy winter. A cover might help but it was so nice it’s better that it’s inside. I will say the fall staging they did was nice. It wasn’t practical but it looked great. LOL!!!!

• Love 4
On 6/27/2021 at 12:32 AM, LittleIggy said:

Except for the bathroom being downstairs, I would like to live in that guesthouse.   
When Scott said to Deb, during the picture taking, “We look like brother and sister,” I said “No, you look like a couple!” 😏

I’m actually getting tired of the flirty behaviour.  Other mixed but not married to each other hosts don’t behave like this (i.e. Love it or list it Vancouver).

• Love 8
(edited)

Tonight's new episode is on a lake, and needed so much help.   "Tech-Savvy Retreat" turns a 70's era house into a three bedroom remote work vacation rental.    It will have a stand alone office, with solar power.     I love they're using composite decking for the deck.  That's such a smart decision. 

I noticed that they never talk about upgrading septic, or other utilities.   However, I watched a few Lake and Beachfront reno shows, and they never discuss that, or permits either.   So it's not just this show.  

The kitchen is spectacular.   However, a few bar stools at the kitchen island isn't enough, and the outdoor table won't work most of the year.   I think they'll have to put the outside table in the area next to the kitchen island.  

I really like the extra space with the screen.   The cabin looks so much better with the updated covered area, and deck.   The inside looks so much better.  

I agree, the exterior paint color was way too dark.    I really would have liked a lighter color instead of black, or charcoal, or whatever the color was. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

I was amazed that Tech Savvy place only cost about $100k in American dollars to do. There was almost not part they didn't touch, plus the outside. But the $450 CA a night seemed a bit high. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Tech Savvy place:

They should have painted the exterior of the house in the blue color that the movie shed was. The black was way too dark and/or black. It looked like a house in the city. It wasn’t very tranquil for a summer/winter getaway home. Overall, it was a big improvement with the decks and the kitchen. The solar movie shed was a great idea. I was amazed at how much it cost but hopefully they’ll be able to recoup their investment. The couple seemed really nice. Once again, Scott was killing me with stupid jokes. Not every sentence needs to become a pun. Also, the garage was like a department store. I liked how they were just able to “find” all the perfect retro stuff. I’m sure the interns had fun planting all the stuff in the garage. LOL!!!!!

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 6
(edited)

1-bedroom $1-million dollar cabin in Kawartha Lakes.  Did Debra almost call Scott "honey" when he told her that she was holding the birch tree wallpaper upside-down?

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 4
(edited)

Tonight's new one was scary when Scott 'found' the major foundation and water problems. 

"Waterfall Escape" Lovely location, with nothing to show where the house is, and you can't see it from the road.    The waterfall theme is cute..  I'm glad the water feature is totally safe, and I'm glad Scott and the saleswoman at the store staged the safety aspect of the discussion.    The after is really nice.   

I can't believe the owners have owned the cabin for 29 years, and never did anything about the water issues.   I can't believe the cabin sits empty every summer, and now it will finance itself.  And the compost, and worms in the living room disgusted me. 

I really like the waterfall pictures on the stair risers.    I love the after with the two separate units. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

I really liked the art gallery / vacation rental tonight.     It's so nice that they can showcase local artist's work, and I bet they'll sell a lot of art.        

However, when Scott first walked into there the place looked hideous.  I'm sure the home owners are told not to clean up, by they really should have cleaned out a lot of that stuff.  

(edited)
2 hours ago, Cancun said:

Tonight’s episode: art studio

rental listing link: 

https://www.vrbo.com/1264967?noDates=true&unitId=1816050

What happened to the Swan Quilt sign on the outside?
It looks as if they have done away with the “local artist gallery” concept, judging by the photos. I didn’t see how that was going to be sustainable anyway. 
I especially loved the rug up in the bedroom and the kitchen countertop. I do think they should have put a half-bath upstairs so guests wouldn’t have to go downstairs to potty during the night. Or maybe put the full bath upstairs and the washer/dryer combo downstairs with a half-bath.  

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I really liked the art gallery / vacation rental tonight.     It's so nice that they can showcase local artist's work, and I bet they'll sell a lot of art.        

As I noted, that aspect appears to be gone. Look at the Vrbo pics. The paintings with the artist/price listings underneath are gone and the dishes in the kitchen are store bought ones.

(edited)
3 hours ago, Suzysite said:

How old are these shows?  The art gallery listing shows reviews of the remodeled house from 2018.

I think those are for another house. A couple of reviews talk about all the room (“plenty of room for 6 adults and 2 children”) and another mentions bathrooms. Then there is the review that mentions the master bedroom has a lovely en suite bathroom. Maybe that main house was rented out at one time.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Useful 2

I’ve no doubt the rentals featured on the show rent well because they’ve had the show’s publicity, but I find Scott’s estimates totally off the mark. Most units aren’t going to rent half of the year or more.  There’s usually a 2-3 month high season (perhaps the owners would take a few weeks for themselves during that time) so you’re really looking at a couple of months income for the year. My family has vacation rentals (yes, remodeled and beautiful) on a beach and they are booked in high season.  But will just sit in hurricane season.  I wish he’d give more realistic estimates.

• Love 3
(edited)

Many of Scott's places are in areas full of lakes & deciduous trees in Ontario, where in addition to summer rentals people will go up for an autumn weekend to see the leaves turn & go antiquing or go ice-fishing in winter or to a nearby ski hill or cross-country trails. Only the well-insulated & heated ones on good roads would be rentable during October-March. And the prices are Canadian dollars (~0.81xUS).

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

I guess the art studio concept was too limiting for renters. Or the owner and/or artist figured it wasn’t a feasible in the long end. That said, it was one his smaller projects and turned out nice. I still get a headache with all of the stupid jokes or puns. As usual, most of these shows only need to be a half hour show but if they would cut the dumb jokes between him and Sarah I still would mind an hour show. I was shocked that Scott didn’t do a whole backyard fun land with all of that property. It must have killed him to hold back. LOL!!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I guess the art studio concept was too limiting for renters. Or the owner and/or artist figured it wasn’t a feasible in the long end. That said, it was one his smaller projects and turned out nice. I still get a headache with all of the stupid jokes or puns. As usual, most of these shows only need to be a half hour show but if they would cut the dumb jokes between him and Sarah I still would mind an hour show. I was shocked that Scott didn’t do a whole backyard fun land with all of that property. It must have killed him to hold back. LOL!!!!

The designer’s name is Debra. As I noted before, I didn’t think the art consignment was going to be successful. I just wonder what happened to the Swan sign. 🤨

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 3
(edited)

Sarah is the annoying bleached blonde 'designer' on Baeumler's HGTV shows.

I was wondering if any of the art was damaged by renters. And after paying for an expensive vacation rental, who has money left over for art?  

I also wish people would leave kids who think they are cute and precocious at home.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 1

With the art works, I would worry about disappearing art, or damaged art.     The owners would have to inventory every single piece of art before guests arrive, and after they leave, to ensure nothing goes missing or is damaged.   

• Love 8

The pictures seemed like a fairly workable idea (except that so many were not very good), and the prices weren't outrageous, but the pottery idea seemed nuts.  How could you use a pitcher that had a price tag on it?  

I think Ontario is fairly like New England, and vacation rentals around here can be pretty much year round (I have cousins with houses they rent out).

• Love 6
17 hours ago, deirdra said:

Sarah is the annoying bleached blonde 'designer' on Baeumler's HGTV shows.

I was wondering if any of the art was damaged by renters. And after paying for an expensive vacation rental, who has money left over for art?  

I also wish people would leave kids who think they are cute and precocious at home.

Oops! I was mixing my blondes up. 

Watching the show I was thinking with renters you have to worry about stains on couches and broken furniture (we had beach houses growing up in NJ) and, I couldn’t imagine what could potentially happen to original artwork. I also do wonder about the swan painting on the house. I guess the owner wanted it back or it was sold. 

• Love 1
On 6/28/2021 at 9:02 PM, Bunnyette said:

I’m actually getting tired of the flirty behaviour.  Other mixed but not married to each other hosts don’t behave like this (i.e. Love it or list it Vancouver

They are both a little too loud for me.

• Love 4

I wasn’t crazy about the make-out , I mean, conversation pit. After a few adult beverages, it would be kind of hard to get up from. 🥴  

Too many pictures on that wall. Gym area unnecessary, IMO.   I did like the bedrooms. 

• Love 2

That million dollar house on the lake really had a wacky layout even before the reno.  I am not a fan of that pit thing, I can see people walking into it without taking off their shoes and it looked hard to to get out of since you'd have to try and stand up on a soft surface.  

That enormous bedroom was nice as were the smaller ones.  I liked the smaller "gathering area" with the TV better than the lower area with the fireplace.  I didn't mind the small workout room; if this was meant to be an executive rental, that would be expected as it is in most hotels.

I wonder how much they are actually getting for it.  As has been noted before, it would be nice (for us) to know where these properties are located and for the owners as well - free advertising.  Or maybe that's something that HGTV frowns on, promoting the properties.