Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Home Is Where the Heart Is/S02.E02: The Truth Will Set You Free

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, JeanJean said:

Did they ever say anything about her first marriage? If she entered the workforce after he daughter was grown, that could explain her SS being low - but why doesn't she get alimony? Or, if her first husband died, I think she would be getting half of his SS amount.

If my understanding of Social Security is correct, if her first husband died - and if they had been married for more than 10 years - she would be getting 100% of his SS amount since she is over 60.  It would seem that it would be more than the pittance she's getting based on her own earnings.

But there are a lot of variables we don't know.  Were they married 10 years?  Is he dead?  Is he drawing his own SS?

She's just so clueless.  Even if she and Sumit are genuinely in love, they don't seem to "get it" that love won't pay the bills.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

If my understanding of Social Security is correct, if her first husband died - and if they had been married for more than 10 years - she would be getting 100% of his SS amount since she is over 60.  It would seem that it would be more than the pittance she's getting based on her own earnings.

But there are a lot of variables we don't know.  Were they married 10 years?  Is he dead?  Is he drawing his own SS?

She's just so clueless.  Even if she and Sumit are genuinely in love, they don't seem to "get it" that love won't pay the bills.

Do we know that she was ever married?  She may have had her daughters out of wedlock.  I don’t remember her mentioning divorce or being a widow.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, MrBuhBye said:

Do we know that she was ever married?  She may have had her daughters out of wedlock.  I don’t remember her mentioning divorce or being a widow.

My female birth vessel moved her child molesting boyfriend into our home when my brothers and I were 4, 7, 9, and 11.  They lived together (saying they were married; she even changed her last name) for 28 years.  When he died, his pension and social security went to his ex-wife, to whom he had been married at least 10 years.  

And I laughed and laughed and laughed.

• Love 9
On 6/13/2020 at 8:38 PM, John M said:

I was just really taken aback by the suggestion that gay relationships would be an issue in Mexico, it a lot of ways it is much more progressive than the US as far LGBT rights go, it actually came off as ridiculous prejudice.

Yeah, not everywhere is perfect in Mexico, but overall the US has a pretty appalling record on LGBT rights, even right now, I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in Mississippi. Puerto Vallarta is a world wide gay destination and Mexico City has a thriving gay village.

My friend from Boston moved down to Puerto Vallarta years ago and started SETAC, which started out as AIDS awareness and now covers a multitude of health issues in the gay community.  I don't understand why Kenneth didn't relocate to somewhere like this in Mexico.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I saw on the live chat that many of you folks are from the Boston area.  Since I'm too slow to be able to keep up with you, I read the live chat forum the next day.  I'm also from Boston.  I live right in the city in Dorchester section (my name OFDgal means originally from Dorchester) and have my entire life.  Just wanted to give a shout-out to all of you now since I can't do it in real time.  

• Love 7
12 hours ago, JeanJean said:

Your post made me think: Will Brittany have the money to get her braces removed in Ethiopa? Or will she have to wear them the rest of her life?

A friend of my son's had gotten braces while her mother was receiving Medicaid. She was hit in the face with a lacrosse ball and they broke, so a hunk of her braces were missing. She wanted them taken off since they were rendered both useless and uncomfortable. According to her mother, the doc who'd first put them on was nowhere to be found. I worked at a dental school at the time, so I emailed one of our students, who was also an Orthodontics resident. I don't remember precisely what he said now, but something along the lines of he'd love to help her out but could not, since a random orthodontist can't just remove braces that another doc has put on. (I guess when they retire they pass on the records of the practice to another? I mean I'm sure there are procedures in place for accident or misadventure or natural disaster. but you can't go to one orthodontist and get braces and go to another to have them taken off). So Brittany will have to come back to the US to have them removed by her own orthodontist, or find an unscrupulous fellow in Ethiopia who will remove them for her. 

47 minutes ago, OFDgal said:

My friend from Boston moved down to Puerto Vallarta years ago and started SETAC, which started out as AIDS awareness and now covers a multitude of health issues in the gay community. 

My friend lived in Puerto Vallarta for quite a few years, opened a gay club that became very popular. There are thriving gay communities in Mexico. Kenny's family would benefit from some time with the Google machine. The issue appears not to be being accepted in Mexico at large, but by Armando's family, who appear to be even shittier, more selfish, and more unsupportive than Kenny's. 

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, OFDgal said:

I saw on the live chat that many of you folks are from the Boston area.  Since I'm too slow to be able to keep up with you, I read the live chat forum the next day.  I'm also from Boston.  I live right in the city in Dorchester section (my name OFDgal means originally from Dorchester) and have my entire life.  Just wanted to give a shout-out to all of you now since I can't do it in real time.  

Waving! My first apartment was in Dorchester, when I was a student at UMass Boston. I'm a North Shore girl and live in Salem now, but my mother grew up in Dorchester, went to Dorchester High School for Girls! So I think that makes us related. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, JeanJean said:

Did they ever say anything about her first marriage? If she entered the workforce after he daughter was grown, that could explain her SS being low - but why doesn't she get alimony? Or, if her first husband died, I think she would be getting half of his SS amount.

She may have received alimony at one point. In a lot of states, alimony isn't permanent: it's just meant to provide $$$ for a housewife to learn some job skills and start earning on her own. So the court will order alimony or "spousal maintenance" or whatever for a set number of years, then it ends.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, AZChristian said:

My female birth vessel moved her child molesting boyfriend into our home when my brothers and I were 4, 7, 9, and 11.  They lived together (saying they were married; she even changed her last name) for 28 years.  When he died, his pension and social security went to his ex-wife, to whom he had been married at least 10 years.  

And I laughed and laughed and laughed.

Kudos to you for turning out so sane, articulate - and with a wonderfully dry, droll sense-of humor!  I am truly sorry that your childhood was so heartbreaking.  But am glad that you grew up to be the person who you are -- and that you came to post in this insane world of 90-Day Fiances!!  ☺️

• Love 9
10 hours ago, TzuShih said:

Kudos to you for turning out so sane, articulate - and with a wonderfully dry, droll sense-of humor!  I am truly sorry that your childhood was so heartbreaking.  But am glad that you grew up to be the person who you are -- and that you came to post in this insane world of 90-Day Fiances!!  ☺️

Saw your kind post last night on my phone, but my nails are too long to type on the phone (not true:  David/Lana reference), so I'm responding more now.

Reading your post was as reassuring to me as listening to Dr. Kirk Honda as he talks about 90-Dayers on the show.  He often talks about how the things that happened to us when we were very young can still affect us in our current lives.  Thank God I have a husband who understands that - even after almost 56 years of happy marriage - certain situations can trigger me back to that hurt child. 

But the adult in me can sometimes find humor in the "what goes around comes around" situation of how the FBV ended up getting screwed by the molester to whom she hooked her wagon.  

Even recognizing how hurt this little child was, this adult is trying to focus on the "living well is the best revenge" aspect of life.

Again, thanks.  Have a great day.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Waving! My first apartment was in Dorchester, when I was a student at UMass Boston. I'm a North Shore girl and live in Salem now, but my mother grew up in Dorchester, went to Dorchester High School for Girls! So I think that makes us related. 

So your mother is OFD too!  Therefore we are Dorchester-related.  I also went to UMass Boston but they were still building the Dorchester campus so I went to downtown Boston.  Sucked cause I'm from Savin Hill and could have walked to UMass.  I love the North Shore especially Rockport and Gloucester.  Hopefully everything will work out for Kenneth and Armando.

• Love 2
On 6/17/2020 at 8:46 AM, AZChristian said:

Saw your kind post last night on my phone, but my nails are too long to type on the phone (not true:  David/Lana reference), so I'm responding more now.

Reading your post was as reassuring to me as listening to Dr. Kirk Honda as he talks about 90-Dayers on the show.  He often talks about how the things that happened to us when we were very young can still affect us in our current lives.  Thank God I have a husband who understands that - even after almost 56 years of happy marriage - certain situations can trigger me back to that hurt child. 

But the adult in me can sometimes find humor in the "what goes around comes around" situation of how the FBV ended up getting screwed by the molester to whom she hooked her wagon.  

Even recognizing how hurt this little child was, this adult is trying to focus on the "living well is the best revenge" aspect of life.

Again, thanks.  Have a great day.

☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️

I believe we are of "the same generation," and so we 'speak the same language.' ☺️  No matter how much time we spend on this earth, we never forget that which was hurtful to us in the past.  Congrats on your 56 years of happy marriage.  (My best friend, since college, just celebrated her 50th wedding anniversary. They sure don't 'look their age.' but I was Maid-of-Honor at their wedding, so I KNOW it's been 50 years.  ❤️ )  Baby Boomer Youth Serum: Working since 1946.  LOLOLOL!   ;->

• Love 3

I am so late to the party. 

Jenny is a DOPE, just OMG. Somehow I find Sumit likeable though.

Love the Mex gay couple, wish them the best. 

I have strong rage for Kalani and parents and their repressed dysfunction that roped in Auselo who is doing the best w/what he got- and at the pregnant Jewish girl who has older parents and needs a LOT of attention to the extreme on her way to Ethiopa. I am going to rage comment about their BS all season I believe. I feel like Ariela has never heard the word "no" from her parents EVER. She is adventuring looking for boundaries and hasn't hit one yet her whole life. 

Deavan made her bed and she can lie in it.

Britney does NOT once again, live in Palm Beach. I can see why her upspeak, vocal fry, head shake and braces appeal to old men she is developed for an adult but presents like a child. It is a gross thought but I see it ugh. 

• Love 7

I think devans story is kinda karmic justice because I truly think she flew to s. Korea to get pregnant by jihoon, because she imagined he had a good income, an education and would allow her to be a stay at home mom. 

I believe that she intended to "trap"* him with a baby and that he would be the breadwinner and she would stay home.  

IIRC he paid for her ticket, right?  

Jihoon has a history of dishonesty and I think he absolutely presented his cell phone repair job as something far more skilled and lucrative.  And from what I know people in that world can make good money because cell phones are so very expensive and so it's better to pay for repair (not mine because I'm cheap). 

*- jihoon could have used protection if he didn't want her to get pregnant, so he wasn't some sort of powerless sucker.  

• Love 1
On 6/9/2020 at 7:12 PM, FurBabyMama said:

I’m really curious about Armando and how he has such good English. Did he live in Mexico his entire life? He had no accent when he spoke English, and maybe this is judgy but his family from what I saw didn’t seem to be so well off that they would have been sent to international schools. Not sure why this bugs me, but I really want to know how he learned to speak so well. 

I think he mentioned that he attended the International School and learned English there.

On 6/20/2020 at 6:11 PM, RealReality said:

I think devans story is kinda karmic justice because I truly think she flew to s. Korea to get pregnant by jihoon, because she imagined he had a good income, an education and would allow her to be a stay at home mom. 

I believe that she intended to "trap"* him with a baby and that he would be the breadwinner and she would stay home.  

IIRC he paid for her ticket, right?  

Jihoon has a history of dishonesty and I think he absolutely presented his cell phone repair job as something far more skilled and lucrative.  And from what I know people in that world can make good money because cell phones are so very expensive and so it's better to pay for repair (not mine because I'm cheap). 

*- jihoon could have used protection if he didn't want her to get pregnant, so he wasn't some sort of powerless sucker.  

Jihoon flew to Utah to meet Deavan for the first time. They met online and chatted awhile before arranging to meet. 

Deavan and Jihoon were both lazy people who didn’t feel like using contraceptives effectively. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Jihoon flew to Utah to meet Deavan for the first time. They met online and chatted awhile before arranging to meet. 

Deavan and Jihoon were both lazy people who didn’t feel like using contraceptives effectively. 

This is the story, but I thought there was some crack jihoon made about a "hot towel" room, like some sort of establishment for people to have sex while they lived with their parents.  

However I think the story is the same whether the sex occurred here or there.  I have zero proof so it's just a theory.  I just think that Devan was/is attractive enough to find a American or south Korean descent or even a south Korean studying or living in the US if she is simply attracted to south Korean men.  

She and jihoon can barely communicate under the best of circumstances so I don't think there was some sort of deep meaningful connection through email/phone.  

I don't think jihoon is remarkably good looking.  

BUT, I think devan wanted a guy who would financially support her and ON PAPER, jihoons job sounded good (to me).  Jihoon is also a liar so who knows what "white lies" he told her about his financial status and job prospects.  

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, RealReality said:

This is the story, but I thought there was some crack jihoon made about a "hot towel" room, like some sort of establishment for people to have sex while they lived with their parents.  

However I think the story is the same whether the sex occurred here or there.  I have zero proof so it's just a theory.  I just think that Devan was/is attractive enough to find a American or south Korean descent or even a south Korean studying or living in the US if she is simply attracted to south Korean men.  

She and jihoon can barely communicate under the best of circumstances so I don't think there was some sort of deep meaningful connection through email/phone.  

I don't think jihoon is remarkably good looking.  

BUT, I think devan wanted a guy who would financially support her and ON PAPER, jihoons job sounded good (to me).  Jihoon is also a liar so who knows what "white lies" he told her about his financial status and job prospects.  

Oh yeah I agree. I firmly believe Deavan didn’t care if she became pregnant, and decided to have a baby by a guy she barely knew. Jihoon also didn’t care to use contraception and lied A LOT!

• Love 1