Type keyword(s) to search

SatC Cast in Other Roles: Is that a Raquel Welch wig?

I'm watching Quiz Show on Showtime while web-surfing.  As Charles Van Doren (Ralph Fiennes) is walking down the street after becoming famous, numerous people call out to him, asking for autographs and such.  I heard a voice that sounded familiar, looked up, and lo and behold, it's Mario Cantone (Anthony) credited as Passerby.  The movie is 20 years old, so he looked very young, but much the same.

• Love 2

Anyone remember Sarah Jessica Parker being "adorkable" (long before Zooey Deschanel) as Patty Greene in the short-lived Square Pegs? Good show. I was shocked it actually made it to DVD.

And, of course, SJP was also in the fun, cheesy '80s flick Girls Just Want To Have Fun with Helen Hunt and a very young Shannen Doherty.

I really liked SJP in the family stone I know she took that role cause it was the opposite of Carrie

I watched Kristen Davis in a lifetime movie a couple months ago it was good too see her on tv

I remember Cynthia in SVU she was really good

Last week Aidan (John Corbett) was featured heavily in the SATC re-runs. It was weird to watch him onscreen and then during commercial break listen to his voice-over for Applebees.

Is it a coincidence that Applebees run their commercials during that particular time slot or is it planned?  Anybody else notice that?

I normally don't pay attention to celebrity voice overs (except for James Earl Jones because, well, he's James Earl Jones) but I love hearing John Corbett do ads for Applebees and Walgreens.  He could probably get me to buy anything.

Anyone remember Sarah Jessica Parker being "adorkable" (long before Zooey Deschanel) as Patty Greene in the short-lived Square Pegs? Good show.

Late to this but I was in high school when "Square Pegs" aired and absolutely loved the show.  Jami Gertz will always be 'Chairperson Tepperperson' to me and somewhere I still have my vinyl copy of The Waitresses' album that featured the show's theme song.

I normally don't pay attention to celebrity voice overs (except for James Earl Jones because, well, he's James Earl Jones) but I love hearing John Corbett do ads for Applebees and Walgreens.  He could probably get me to buy anything.

Late to this but I was in high school when "Square Pegs" aired and absolutely loved the show.  Jami Gertz will always be 'Chairperson Tepperperson' to me and somewhere I still have my vinyl copy of The Waitresses' album that featured the show's theme song.

I was 9 or 10 when that series was on CBS for its one and done season and never understood why it failed. I bought the first version of the 3-disc DVD set (it is now out of print but has been re-released as a 2-DVD set) and it holds up well high-school politics wise if not the fashions. Although I am annoyed with most of the music being replaced with generic crap, but what can you do? Besides Jami Gertz as Muffy Tepperman, Tracy Nelson (a.k.a. Ricky Nelson's daughter and Mark Harmon's niece) did a pretty convincing job as Valley Girl Jennifer, too.

I love his voice. Fo me, he seems like such an affable guy. Some people might not be aware that he's in a long term relationship with Bo Derek. I met her many years ago and she was a doll. Very friendly and sweet.

No thread for Killing Reagan, but I had to give Cynthia Nixon all the props & praise.  What a graceful, sympathetic portrayal of Nancy Reagan!  Even in the most ludicrous-sounding moment of all (she's begging Reagan to allow her to hire an astrologer), she brought me to tears (Tim Matheson as Reagan matched her).

Further proof, as if it was needed, that she was, and is, the most accomplished actress of the four.

• Love 1

I was rewatching The First Wives Club for the 10,000th time last night (it's on Amazon Prime now, so I can watch it...a lot more than is probably necessary), but I just have to give some kudos to Sarah Jessica Parker, because she is so freaking funny in it.  Her entire lunch scene with Maggie Smith is hysterical - "Usually, I just bring my own fat free ranch stuff, but this is restaurant quality!" - and she's hilarious when she's dealing with Bronson Pinchot's character.  I do think that while Carrie got annoying towards the end of the series, with the right material, SJP is so funny and charming.  I rewatched Footloose recently, and she's charming in that too.  

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 3

I will agree that SJP can be good in earlier work.  But - and perhaps it is just me! - it seems like as soon as she started playing Carrie Bradshaw, she was only capable of playing every character like Carrie.  Almost as if Carrie is now the actress instead of SJP.

Taking Francis, from Divorce, she has the same rhythm of talking, the mannerisms.  For example: when she is talking with Robert in the bedroom about how sorry she was for cheating, there were the same pauses and hand gestures as when she was doing her speeches to Aiden in SATC.  Did anyone else get deja vu there??

I honestly can't remember ever thinking this about another actor ... 

Edited by ChlcGirl
  • Love 1

Kristin Davis was in a cute episode of "Friends" where she dates Joey Tribbiani (S7 E7), two cute episodes of Seinfeld where she dates Jerry himself (816 and 901), and an episode of "Will and Grace" where is is best friends with Will's boyfriend played by Bobby Cannavale (also SATC alum).  I rewatch these 90s sitcoms A LOT so it's fun to see her pop up in all three.  She just missed Frasier or Mad About You for the five-fecta :)  Or 6-fecta if you include SATC!

Is anyone grossed out by Bobby after being the funky spunk guy?  After Rose Byrne started dating him that's all I could think about!  Apparently he also had a traumatizing part in Boardwalk Empire but I never watched it. 

Nadia Dajani (Nina “The Face Girl” Katz) turned up on The Carrie Diaries as a single mom that dated Carrie’s dad for a few episodes. I felt like she was sort of playing the same character, and her clothes didn’t feel “period” to me. She was ok. I thought she was kind of an odd actress to bring in as a callback to SATC.

• Love 1
On 1/9/2018 at 11:54 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Kristin Davis was in a cute episode of "Friends" where she dates Joey Tribbiani (S7 E7), two cute episodes of Seinfeld where she dates Jerry himself (816 and 901), and an episode of "Will and Grace" where is is best friends with Will's boyfriend played by Bobby Cannavale (also SATC alum).  I rewatch these 90s sitcoms A LOT so it's fun to see her pop up in all three.  She just missed Frasier or Mad About You for the five-fecta :)  Or 6-fecta if you include SATC!

Is anyone grossed out by Bobby after being the funky spunk guy?  After Rose Byrne started dating him that's all I could think about!  Apparently he also had a traumatizing part in Boardwalk Empire but I never watched it. 

I remember seeing her first in Melrose Place as a daddy's girl that scheme to keep Billy and Allison apart in late season 3 and all of season 4... so it was jarring seeing her play such a nice character on SATC a few years later.  And I loved in the holiday film 'Three Days'.

And Cynthia Nixon was a happie child in the classic coming of age film Little Darlings.

1 hour ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

And Cynthia Nixon was a happie child in the classic coming of age film Little Darlings.

I just recently watched part of that movie. I'd never heard of it before. I didn't get through the movie. It is seriously disturbing. 

Oddly, I'd forgotten a mid 90s movie starring SJP that I swear was her audition piece that got her SATC... Miami Rhapsody.. that has her playing a Carrie Bradshaw like character except that this particular character is afraid to get married.. and seeing how her family handles marriage... you kind of side with her LOL

• Love 2
On 1/20/2018 at 11:20 PM, msani19 said:

I just recently watched part of that movie. I'd never heard of it before. I didn't get through the movie. It is seriously disturbing. 

How so? My 70s mind is open to another view point.

On 2/16/2018 at 4:00 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

Oddly, I'd forgotten a mid 90s movie starring SJP that I swear was her audition piece that got her SATC... Miami Rhapsody.. that has her playing a Carrie Bradshaw like character except that this particular character is afraid to get married.. and seeing how her family handles marriage... you kind of side with her LOL

Oh I loved Miami Rhapsody.  I was a young broke chick living in South Beach at the time.