Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E02: We Didn't Start the Fire

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, paigow said:

Bill Nye will be making a YouTube documentary in Finland and the gang is his crew????

You're asking the wrong question. It's whether Zapata will get Bill Nye to drink too much Koskenkorva and reveal Patterson's first name.

(edited)

William? LOL I wouldn't mind if it was never reveled and kept a mystery. For a moment, I thought it was going to be "Kiddo".

Now that it's revealed we are going to hear jokes about her name, when we should have had jokes since season one.

Now Ivy Sands has clearance to fly to Marseille and investigate Rich's breakout from the CIA black site? 

Madeline just brought in 20+ mercenaries to take over the FBI building and now she needs low level Bianca to spy on the list of employees. 

Sho could have been killed for his bad dancing from last week! Let's not assume it was for giving info to the team.

If Weller just shaved his beard, no one would recognize him. No need for him to use the "Just for men" grey kit. 

The forum doesn't have play off music for Weitz or a big hook like the one used at the Apollo to get him off the stage? I give those folks credit for not booing him for his sports rant.

How did Bill Nye know to go to the basement and whack the guy with a fire extinguisher to save William?

Of all people, Rich should know when the progress bar is at 12% don't get too excited.

Is there any place is the FBI building where a person can have alone time for a few minutes? Afreen can't sneak out of the vents without getting caught and Bianca can't spend 5 seconds in a broom closet. I doubt Bianca would have had any privacy if she was sitting on the toilet!

Once again, an evil Madeline plan is foiled. The reject from the Bond Villain Academy will never learn!

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, mxc90 said:

How did Bill Nye know to go to the basement and whack the guy with a fire extinguisher to save William?

The Force guided him there...

• LOL 1
5 minutes ago, paigow said:

The Force guided him there...

Or he spun Patterson's "chore wheel" and landed on "go to basement/knock out criminal".

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, mxc90 said:

At first I thought they gave him his earphone and radio back. I guess that didn't happen.

(edited)
10 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I am just wondering why Paterson's mama was not warned to go into hiding as well.

Maybe Bill is getting payback on her for his injured hand.

The team couldn't get word to Madeline's biggest critic (Susan Shah) about what she is doing in the FBI building and have her warn the president?

Edited by mxc90

I can't get back into this show, but flipped over during a commercial on the show I was watching. My takeaway was Patterson borrowed some of Jane's Jet Black Miss Clairol, and Weller used some HydroMousse Spray 'n Stay hydroseed for his face covering.

That, plus Bill Nye even being on this show using his real name is so whack, I can't understand why. Nor do I give a care that he named his daughter William. Billy is a cute name for a girl, so what's the big deal, show.

So the exculpatory phone is gone,,,leaving 2 choices:

• Suicide mission- Weller & Zapata die - Bill Nye becomes POTUS and stops climate change
  • Build a giant conspiracy network to set up a sting on the mercenaries
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I was surprised they revealed Patterson's name as William... I was expecting that we would get the reveal in the series finale, if ever at all.  I watched on the NBC site and the connection kept freezing... I missed his explanation of "Patterson" since he is actually supposed to be Bill Nye the actual person in the show.  He said something like "we got your last name from..."

It's obvious he named her after him, but seriously, he couldn't use Willhemina?  Or Williama?  No wonder why she hates it.  It's kind of like how we found out MacGyver's first name is Angus, he was clearly embarrassed of it.

Really disliking the Asian lady and Madeline.  Why didn't Weiss and Afreen just call out sick and not go to work?  Clearly they can't do anything without being under suspicion.

38 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I was surprised they revealed Patterson's name as William... I was expecting that we would get the reveal in the series finale, if ever at all.  I watched on the NBC site and the connection kept freezing... I missed his explanation of "Patterson" since he is actually supposed to be Bill Nye the actual person in the show.  He said something like "we got your last name from..."

It's obvious he named her after him, but seriously, he couldn't use Willhemina?  Or Williama?  No wonder why she hates it.  It's kind of like how we found out MacGyver's first name is Angus, he was clearly embarrassed of it.

Really disliking the Asian lady and Madeline.  Why didn't Weiss and Afreen just call out sick and not go to work?  Clearly they can't do anything without being under suspicion.

The "William" is equal to "Bill" ( obviously) and "Patterson" is her mother's maiden name, if I understand correctly. Personally, I think naming a girl William is both weird and cruel-- why people stick their kids with weird names I've never really understood ! All it does is create problems for life. I have an unusual first name myself, and believe me you really get tired of having to repeat the name and spell it over and over for people !

I enjoy this show and I'm glad they got an order to wrap things up, but I didn't go back and watch any of last season and the break was so long, I've forgotten how in the hell Madeline gained control of the friggin FBI !! She was running an terrorist organization bent on destroying America last season and now she's running everything in the FBI ? I've gathered that the current president put her there, but again, no recollection of that either. So for now, I guess I'm just reveling in the chaos that ensues every episode !

Just thought I'd throw that in there.  Sorry for the extra nonsense.

I missed something in the detonator defusing.  Jane said the housing was pressurized and removing it would cause detonation.  Then they're shown removing the glass case.  What did they do?

(edited)
1 hour ago, Writing Wrongs said:

So does no one know that Bill Nye is Patterson's dad? I would think the FBI would have all their families staked out in case of contact.

She probably hacked the HR files - her father is Steve Rogers who is still in 1950...

Does the episode title refer to the filibuster conference speech??? A lot of tangentially related nouns strung together in a weird song?

Edited by paigow

There is a college here in NJ called William Patterson University, it is named after some historical guy from this area. That is all I can think of when I see Patterson now. I guess most people aren't familiar with that name though.

It is super mean to name a girl William. Every time anyone sees her name in writing they are going to assume she's a guy and then it leads to awkwardness. 

I'm not even trying to follow the logic of the plot anymore though.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I'm not even trying to follow the logic of the plot anymore though.  

Ditto! Makes the viewing easier.

The Good: Rich still bringing his shirt game. Patterson's glasses, I loved that bi-colored frame. Giving Rich PTSD and Zapata noticing and trying to help - nice continuity from last week. Also: Seurat was a good choice for 'art therapy'. I just hope she did not order the print via amazon. Patterson would not like that.

The Bad: Even M. E. Mastrantonio starts to sound tired of Madeline, some of her line delivery this episode made me laugh. Robotic henchwoman is not helping.

The Evil: Making us wait that long for Patterson's name and then having the big reveal being so meh. Also: trying to repeat the gimmick with her space camp name. 

The Unresolved: Who's helping Team Archie? Someone last week suggested Roman. That might be far-fetched but in this show's writing room far-fetched is really pretty much standard procedure.

• Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, MissLucas said:

The Evil: Making us wait that long for Patterson's name and then having the big reveal being so meh.

I don't see where Patterson's first name means anything any more than Kramer's first name reveal. At least Seinfeld was a funny show instead of a stupid one, and Patterson being all verklempt about her first name is just stupid. Both of my sisters have regular female first names, but both use their middle names as their main names. Friends (and schools) never knew their first names. And as posted above, Patterson could have gone by Billy, which is a cute female name, popular in the south where I have a (female) friend named that. Or Pat, Patty Patterson.

Who gives a care.

This was just a really stupid time-wasting plot point that means nothing when you get down  to it. More important: Is Weller's kid a teenager now? What's his name. And is Jane's daughter out there somewhere?

Edited by saber5055
16 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

It is super mean to name a girl William. Every time anyone sees her name in writing they are going to assume she's a guy and then it leads to awkwardness. 

I agree that I wouldn't name a girl William, since "William" is a name that is clearly identified as a boy name.  However, times change.  Ashley and Meredith used to be 100% identified as boy names, and I believe mostly still are in Australia and England.  I believe the character of Ashley Abbott on "Young and the Restless" is credited as the leading cause of why it is a girl name now in the U.S.  Not sure about Meredith.

There are also plenty of unisex names these days where it is impossible to identify whether the person is a boy or girl.  Avery, Harper, Jordan, Taylor, Peyton, Morgan, Cameron... I think parents just need to be aware that their children may have issues when they get older and they get mail addressed with the wrong gender titles. 

And then there's William Patterson.  I guess her parents must have known that she would have some issues as she grew up if she was sensitive of being mistaken for a man.  But who knows?  Bill Nye is definitely quirky so maybe he thought she would own her name and embrace it.  But she clearly hasn't, which seems odd for someone as self-assured as William is.  Why doesn't she just call herself Willie or Billie?  Or Willa? 

Then again, maybe her parents just thought it was a good name.  I know a middle school aged girl named Dylan.  Her parents wanted to honor the mom's favourite poet, Dylan Thomas.  Strangely, they get really offended when people assume that their Dylan is a boy.  And because of that, she herself gets offended as well.  I'm thinking she has a lifetime ahead of her of getting offended.

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I don't see where Patterson's first name means anything any more than Kramer's first name reveal. At least Seinfeld was a funny show instead of a stupid one, and Patterson being all verklempt about her first name is just stupid. Both of my sisters have regular female first names, but both use their middle names as their main names. Friends (and schools) never knew their first names. And as posted above, Patterson could have gone by Billy, which is a cute female name, popular in the south where I have a (female) friend named that. Or Pat, Patty Patterson.

Who gives a care.

This was just a really stupid time-wasting plot point that means nothing when you get down  to it. More important: Is Weller's kid a teenager now? Wat's his name. And is Jane's daughter out there somewhere?

The kid he had with his ex-girlfriend?  Isn't that "Bethany"?  They named her after the late Bethany Mayfair.  I thought he mentioned her to Jane, he said something about how she was with her mom?

I don't want to see Jane's daughter ever again, I couldn't stand her.

(edited)
On 5/16/2020 at 11:56 AM, saber5055 said:

More important: Is Weller's kid a teenager now? Wat's his name.

Sullivan Stapleton has a teenage TV son on Strike Back...Is that what you are remembering?

PVR Alert: Next new episode May 28

Edited by paigow
(edited)
On 5/16/2020 at 3:51 PM, blackwing said:

Then again, maybe her parents just thought it was a good name.  I know a middle school aged girl named Dylan.  Her parents wanted to honor the mom's favourite poet, Dylan Thomas.  Strangely, they get really offended when people assume that their Dylan is a boy.  And because of that, she herself gets offended as well.  I'm thinking she has a lifetime ahead of her of getting offended.

If we had had a boy his name would have been Dylan, but we had two girls.  Our first daughter was given family names that I had had picked out for years, but I was going to name our second daughter Dylan because I really liked the name and had seen it used as a girl's name before, and we weren't going to have any more kids. However, we ended up giving her a different name because I didn't want her to have to deal with the confusion <shrug>.  That being said, the name we ended up giving her is perfect for her 🙂

Edited by marykat71702