Type keyword(s) to search

Fashion (Turn to the Left)!: Movie Outfits You Love

• Start Topic

Sleepless in Seattle

de9aacd2f2badd686213737d347e9ab7.jpg

Titanic (I always assumed that, at her death, this was them meeting in heaven so they could be together always and that she was wearing a wedding dress)

cbb79fca522513af33d653771c04d13a.jpg

I wish I could have found a full length picture of it, but apparently, it's a white replica of this one:

e62dc49a39aa2b40f6295905d3212f14.jpg

• Love 7

@elle If you have the .jpg URL, just cut and paste it into your message. Otherwise, go down to the bottom of the post box and click "Other Media" to upload photos.

This gorgeous dress from of all movies, Harry Potter.

1eaec9dd3d69f6a7958098b2e18d10c8.jpg

Funny Face.

1-429-1559260085.jpg?crop=0.889xw:1.00xh

Beauty and the Beast.

2805db6eb73bdd5932e30d9b97417303.png

Crazy Rich Asians.

60241bebcca90200129b7800?width=600&forma

• Love 5

Two more!

Another classic dress from the 30s in Frankenstein (the length on that veil!)

Frankenstein.JPG

And a very modern jumpsuit from On Her Majesty’s Secret Service (1969)

c84f0278-6f62-49a8-9b10-a1681b81aec1_7.j

Edited by elle
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Ooh, finally one I like.  That's really cool.

I remember the outfit from the movie but did not know it was a jumpsuit until I was looking for wedding dresses.  I love her hair too.  All of the clothes for Tracy (Diana Rigg) are really fun and sexy.

Another view showing off the legs and the shoes

Diana-Rigg-and-George-Lazenby-in-On-Her-

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

What was the middle one from?

Three Nuts for Cinderella (alternate title: Three Wishes for Cinderella). It's an absolutely delightful and beloved Czech film. I recommend it to pretty much anyone.

The actress who played Cinderella sadly passed away this year.

• Love 1

One thing that you can say about the live action Aladdin is that Jasmine had a way prettier wedding outfit than the one in cartoon. I’m sorry but this:

image.jpeg.fe2d10ff209eaaaa09c25b087f953bf3.jpeg

Was WAY better than this:

image.jpeg.7051067d116f6ba5a9545ba3b93da2a9.jpeg

Those shoulder pads! Blech!!! Come on, Disney, I know your video sequels were cheap as hell, but you couldn’t have done better for one of your best princesses!?

But I have to say her gorgeous bridal outfit from the Broadway show tops both these dresses away:

image.jpeg.f07b18045576616a6f1446b0d29e0862.jpeg

😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 11
20 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

What was the middle one from?

20 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Three Nuts for Cinderella (alternate title: Three Wishes for Cinderella). It's an absolutely delightful and beloved Czech film. I recommend it to pretty much anyone.

The actress who played Cinderella sadly passed away this year.

Sorry, yes, as Wiendish Fitch says. Also recommending it, it's a must see Christmas classic for me (not Christmas-themed, we just watch it every Christmas).

Speaking of live action Aladdin, I actually prefer it to the animated one (yes, I said it) and I love all of Jasmine's outfits from it. I love how full of colors it was.

2204c466eea5dfa35aac7ec0a081ad35.png

• Love 10
(edited)

I adore Naomi Watts's introductory outfit in Mulholland Drive. It's like an outfit from the 1950s through a late '90s filter. I love the little details, from the rhinestones to the fact that Betty's lipstick matches her sweater.

3FAFA25300000578-0-image-a-2_1493355501155.jpg.240b45fb5ff46b35e208ecdc05c5afaf.jpg

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 5

I'll be honest, I didn't care for Last Night in Soho, and I normally find most fashions from the 1960s kind of horrendous, but I gotta say, Anya Taylor-Joy's introductory dress is a knockout. I'm a sucker jeweled necklines, the cut is striking, and the color is absolutely gorgeous.

last-night-soho.jpg

• Love 4

Marry Me had another one for Most Memorable Movie Wedding Dress:

image.thumb.jpeg.270135ae43f033270999b15cdd34fbb5.jpeg

My only nitpick is that it was clearly too tight around the bodice area. Form-fitting is fine and all that, but a woman needs to breathe!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4
On 12/25/2021 at 9:18 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Is anyone else as in love with Mirabel from Encanto's outfit as I am?! I adore embroidered anything, there's a ton of detail without looking tacky, and how about those beautiful, vibrant colors? 

10871763_070821-cc-encanto-trailer-img.jpg

Frozen 2 did this as well. The animators/costume designers came up with outfits that would sell like hot cakes. Beautiful, easy to manufacture and that little girls would want wear. 

• Love 4

This dress in No Time to Die!  I wish you could see what a beautiful dark blue it is in these pictures.  Ana De Armis is stunning.  I how much they had to budget for double sided tape.  😄

7cb538624b23669f70924023143e8a21.jpg

36168-james-bond-daniel-craig-and-paloma

• Like 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

This dress in No Time to Die!  I wish you could see what a beautiful dark blue it is in these pictures.  Ana De Armis is stunning.  I how much they had to budget for double sided tape.  😄

7cb538624b23669f70924023143e8a21.jpg

36168-james-bond-daniel-craig-and-paloma

Quite a different look for her than in Knives Out...

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Quite a different look for her than in Knives Out...

Ah, that's it!  I thought her face looked vaguely familiar in the second picture.

I don't love that dress from the front, but I do from the back and I like her shoes.

On 2/13/2022 at 7:20 AM, Spartan Girl said:

My only nitpick is that it was clearly too tight around the bodice area. Form-fitting is fine and all that, but a woman needs to breathe!

Yeah, that looks horribly uncomfortable, especially on the right breast (although that part may just be the camera angle).

The dress isn't my style (way too poofy on the bottom), but I love the fabric, and, regardless, I like seeing a wedding dress that isn't white.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
(edited)

It took me a long time to appreciate Cyd Charisse's black dress in The Band Wagon (damn, I love that movie). It's pretty and flattering, but in a prim, "First Lady" sort of way. I now realize that's just the first impression Fred Astaire (and we, the audience) are supposed to have until she defrosts and her more vibrant spirit is revealed.

Also, how cute are those green gloves???48c2f34b11a081125d42c64889d6d20a.jpg.0574494dc3298dae294ee1f85cf49288.jpg

But, seriously, there are loads of awesome costumes in The Band Wagon. Mary Ann Nyberg deserves more love!

1553a11a2f57cb98ab8ecc4a2d20e848.png.5b533afa2e59adb3e9517ee93c54eab6.png

bandwagon_dancinginthedark_FC_470x264_021220160616.jpg

13b669_3363e08afac14b9dbfc648a99cd63286_mv2.jpg

featured.jpg

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 10
(edited)

I did love Thor’s cut-off red leather vest and jeans in Love and Thunder. 

image.jpeg.c0c6a40577c767ee327d03d84ba3f8ba.jpeg

It was obviously borrowed from Star Lord’s clothes but he wore the hell out of it. Showed off his biceps to perfection. 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

I also loved the lovely white gown Jane wore 

Spoiler

In Valhalla.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

I love the color on Gloria Estefan's dress, but not the pattern of the lace, or the sleeves, or the bow, or that bottom section of the skirt.  So, yeah, just the color.  🙂  But I really like the variety in the bridal party's outfits (especially that they're not all dresses), and each one of them individually.  My favorite is the dress the two on the right are wearing.  Or maybe the top and shorts.  Or ... I don't know, I like them all, especially together.  I can't really tell the color -- is it a shade of grey?

I don't like the sleeves on the bride's dress, but if it just had wide straps, I'd dig it.

• Love 2
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I don't like the sleeves on the bride's dress, but if it just had wide straps, I'd dig it.

I think the puffed sleeves are cute, but to each their own. 

Yeah, Ms. Estefan's dress is a nice color, but the style isn't very becoming to her. It's too fussy.

Speaking of bridesmaids* dresses, it's a shame that that lovely lavender gown was wasted on Julia Roberts's obnoxious schemer in My Best Friend's Wedding. Kimmy should have forced her to wear a safety orange potato sack as punishment for all the crap she put her through.**

*Yes, I know, Roberts was maid of honor in the movie, humor me.

** Or, better yet, dump that douchebag Michael...

JULIAR_1_1200x1200.webp

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 5

I'm fairly it's fine on that MoH dress overall, but I absolutely love its neckline/straps.  The floral frocks donned by the other bridesmaids are just horrible from top to bottom, though:

image.png.15f6ed4933ef2a9e3396d6d8ae38b5a1.png

(And, yeah, that would have been a good movie had Kimmy dumped his ass, and waited until she was older and dating someone who deserved her to get married.)

• Love 4
On 7/18/2022 at 5:44 PM, Bastet said:

I'm fairly it's fine on that MoH dress overall, but I absolutely love its neckline/straps.  The floral frocks donned by the other bridesmaids are just horrible from top to bottom, though:

image.png.15f6ed4933ef2a9e3396d6d8ae38b5a1.png

(And, yeah, that would have been a good movie had Kimmy dumped his ass, and waited until she was older and dating someone who deserved her to get married.)

Ugh, the tired-ass Ugly Bridesmaid Dress trope (I just griped about it elsewhere). Julianne should have been forced to wear one of those monstrosities instead!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Ugh, the tired-ass Ugly Bridesmaid Dress trope (I just griped about it elsewhere). Julianne should have been forced to wear one of those monstrosities instead!

Oh if only that movie took place a few decades later. Kim should have posted a picture of her holding up a sign: “I tried to break up the wedding and now I have to wear this bridesmaid dress.”

Not that I approve of internet shaming people, but come on, Julianne would have totally deserved that.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Oh if only that movie took place a few decades later. Kim should have posted a picture of her holding up a sign: “I tried to break up the wedding and now I have to wear this bridesmaid dress.”

Not that I approve of internet shaming people, but come on, Julianne would have totally deserved that.

One-upped me again, Spartan Girl!

If Kimmy could have found a way to internet shame Michael as well? BONUS!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 7/18/2022 at 2:09 PM, Bastet said:

I love the color on Gloria Estefan's dress, but not the pattern of the lace, or the sleeves, or the bow, or that bottom section of the skirt.  So, yeah, just the color.  🙂  But I really like the variety in the bridal party's outfits (especially that they're not all dresses), and each one of them individually.  My favorite is the dress the two on the right are wearing.  Or maybe the top and shorts.  Or ... I don't know, I like them all, especially together.  I can't really tell the color -- is it a shade of grey?

It (bridesmaids) reads a very light cool blue in the film. 

(edited)

In the Fashion Don'ts thread I griped about the profound mediocrity of the gold dresses from Into the Woods and 2017's Beauty and the Beast

Take notes, Disney! HERE'S how you do gold dresses!

Fig._33.jpg

Cleopatra (1963)

vlcsnap-2019-09-06-20h57m52s620.png

The Glass Slipper (1955)

064429b70d8af985ccbc9c35997e208d.jpg

To Catch a Thief (1955)

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 8
26 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I'm pretty sure I'm a square because I always hated that outfit. I loved all her other looks though. 

No judgement from me. I thought her other outfits were really cute too. Especially her white dress from the dance scene.

John Travolta Dance GIF by Paramount Movies

• Love 9