Type keyword(s) to search

Fashion (Turn to the Left)!: Movie Outfits You Love

• Start Topic

Grace Kelly is the epitome of elegance. I LOVE that white dress. I want it in every color! 

If I were ever invited to an awards show I think I would make a recreation of a Grace Kelly  gown. Possibly that one, but in something other than white because I don't do well in white. 

• Love 10

My favorite costume in the 1968 Romeo and Juliet was the slip/sheath that Juliet wore in the balcony scene. It was very simple with the pretty good embroidery on the bodice, complimented by the jeweled headband in her hair. Of course the cut was a bit much because it overemphasized how, ahem, busty Olivia Hussey was, but it was still nice.

Can I also add Elsa's gorgeous element gown in Frozen II?

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Wild Wild West is a sweaty dog turd of a movie, IMO, but come on, how great does Will Smith look in this outfit?!

That photo is probably the only good thing about that movie. Haha. 

He does rock that look though. 

• Love 5

I love Marta's casual, comfy, colorful wardrobe from Knives Out. Girlfriend not only has heart and smarts, but she has personal style to burn! Eat it, Thrombeys! 

download.jpg.d77a31671384c069ddd956c6a608c309.jpg6c550a908339472f2692949888b36670.jpg.7b76f506943571782b96c8057224850d.jpg

It's now my mission to knit myself that scarf. It will happen someday.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 8

I know it seems odd to like any piece of clothing for men out of the 70s disco era, but Ryan Gosling rocked a couple of those looks in The Nice Guys.

Ryan-Gosling-Movie-Set-The-Nice-Guys-FPS

ryan-gosling-the-nice-guys-filming-02.jp

On a shallow note, I particularly like this particular look when he turns around  😉

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I love Marta's casual, comfy, colorful wardrobe from Knives Out. Girlfriend not only has heart and smarts, but she has personal style to burn! Eat it, Thrombeys! 

Knives Out was like a love letter to knitwear. 

• Love 8

Oooh, I love that Melissa McCarthy dress (if it's a dress, if it's a jumpsuit, no, I don't do jumpsuits, but it still looks awesome, I just don't' want it). I love the thick black on top thick white on bottom contrast. Very cool

• Love 2

Watching The Wizard of Oz now.  Hard to see Dorothy, Glinda, or the Witch of the West looking like anything other than Judy Garland's, Bille Burke's, or Margaret Hamilton's iconic outfits.  And God know how much I wanted those ruby slippers.

dorothygale.jpg

glinda.jpeg

Wicked Witch of the West.jpg

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, bmoore4026 said:

Watching The Wizard of Oz now.  Hard to see Dorothy, Glinda, or the Witch of the West looking like anything other than Judy Garland's, Bille Burke's, or Margaret Hamilton's iconic outfits.  And God know how much I wanted those ruby slippers.

Hey! We're here to represent the Lollipop Guild!

th%3Fid=OIP.gd_jyGPbTT9z4RRBgGT9cQHaGE&p

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

When I was a kid, I had a dress that looked like Dorothy's. Only it was black instead of blue. 

And yes, I wanted those ruby slippers, too. Mainly just 'cause red is my favorite color :D. 

My mother had her portrait painted as a young teen in a jumper-thing like Dorothy wears, but hers was red.  And since we didn't have a color TV (and my mom's name was Dorothy), I thought the dress Judy wore was red as well.  It wasn't until I was in college that I first saw the movie in color.  I was...taken aback. But I got over it.  🙂 

• Love 4
Just now, Popples said:

Arguably Judy Garland's second most iconic outfit:

image-asset.jpeg

Agreed. Judy Garland had the most underrated legs ever. And word on the ruby slippers; changing them from silver to ruby was a smart move and made them look more magical (plus, I don't think they would have looked right with Dorothy's dress).

Not that silver slippers can't be lovely. Case in point? The Slipper and the Rose.

f0e7717a53c914648192447bf8d2459d.thumb.jpg.7c5403ad129688c26ffc8cb5b6bf16cf.jpg

Back to Judy Garland, yellow is a really difficult color, but she really pulled it off in Till the Clouds Roll By. In fact, Renee Zellweger said her dress at the 2001 Academy Awards was inspired by Judy's.

148294_0.thumb.jpg.c33e62cb30692e9b31e13c3ee7c13cd7.jpg

• Love 9
10 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Back to Judy Garland, yellow is a really difficult color, but she really pulled it off in Till the Clouds Roll By. In fact, Renee Zellweger said her dress at the 2001 Academy Awards was inspired by Judy's.

148294_0.thumb.jpg.c33e62cb30692e9b31e13c3ee7c13cd7.jpg

Judy was visibly pregnant with Liza at the time. That's why she has the scarf; they told her to just wave it around in front of her stomach to misdirect people's gaze. "Who?" is one of my favorite numbers and outfits of hers.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Oooh, I love that Melissa McCarthy dress (if it's a dress, if it's a jumpsuit, no, I don't do jumpsuits, but it still looks awesome, I just don't' want it). I love the thick black on top thick white on bottom contrast. Very cool

It's a jumpsuit.  I would wear them, but they never fit me because I'm too long waisted, so they're too tight and uncomfortable.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Isn't Cate Blanchett fabulous enough without sporting drop-dead gorgeous attire as Galadriel??

I've always found her the most beautiful as Galadriel. Not that she's she's shabby any day of the week, but playing an ageless ethereal elf will do that to a person.

• Love 4

As a very little kid, I thought that those turquoise dresses with the feather fans were the most elegant outfits I'd ever seen.  I've still never worn anything that fabulous, sadly.

Now that I'm more mature (ha ha), I'd love this more casual outfit of Vera Ellen's.  The black and white with red accessories is sharp!

VeraEllen.jpg

• Love 14

Come on people, it is ALL about the ass brooch on Rosemary's Carousel Club dress.

Also, I have to express my disappointment that sequined gloved technology did not improve from 1954 to 1983. Rosemary's gloves are just the long version of Michael Jackson's and they're basically oven mitts.

But at least she's got that ass brooch. Killer.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Granted, Gal Gadot could probably make make a fashion statement wearing a bargain rack sweatsuit, but the costume designers in the DC Universe have served her well.

1f43204673b3bc53ae087df7f5dfea94--gal-ga

anrsflxf5d841.jpg?savepath=anrsflxf5d841

Wonder-Woman-1984-Gal-Gadot-Blazer.jpg?s

7d50cd2e827cc60f2ba54fe2b5f94646%3Fwidth

And on top of all her Diana wear, Wonder Woman has the best superhero costumes.

gal-gadot-golden-armor-ww84-2.jpg?savepa

• Love 12

She could make any of the worst 80s trends look good.

If they ever do a remake of Flash Gordon, she’d be perfect for Princess Aura. Speaking of which, here’s another outfit from the movie that I like.

flashgordon05.jpg

Why they changed her from this awesome pink outfit back into the stupid metal bikini for the finale I’ll never understand. Oh that’s right: the male gaze. 🙄

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

This is my favorite of Andie's ensembles in Pretty in Pink (sorry, but I hate her prom dress).unnamed.jpg.5f036dffd5db779d8122229159a42092.jpg

That prom dress was an atrocity.

bc4ba4a19422390fa8d4ef76b4b71c72.jpg

Edited by Luckylyn
  • Love 5
44 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

This is my favorite of Andie's ensembles in Pretty in Pink (sorry, but I hate her prom dress).unnamed.jpg.5f036dffd5db779d8122229159a42092.jpg

Oh God that prom dress was a disaster. It was supposed to be called “Pretty in Pink” not “Pretty in a Bag Lady Dress”!

• LOL 4

Yay, I'm not alone! It's infuriating it is that Andie mutilated 2 perfectly good dresses to make that shapeless sack that Barbara Bush would have derided as "too frumpy". 

But this is a "favorite outfit" thread, so we'll stick to that. I like 1993 film version of George Balanchine's The Nutcracker, and the pistachio green tutu Darci Kistler wears as the Sugar Plum Fairy has really grown on me.

7dc80748b62d8e0d218de392a7c2bd42.jpg

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 5
26 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Yay, I'm not alone! It's infuriating it is that Andie mutilated 2 perfectly good dresses to make that shapeless sack that Barbara Bush would have derided as "too frumpy". 

But this is a "favorite outfit" thread, so we'll stick to that. I like 1993 film version of George Balanchine's The Nutcracker, and the pistachio green tutu Darci Kistler wears as the Sugar Plum Fairy has really grown on me.

7dc80748b62d8e0d218de392a7c2bd42.jpg

How gorgeous! I want to take up ballet just for the beautiful costumes. lol

• Love 5

I can't find any decent pictures but I loved pretty much every outfit Rene Russo wore in The Thomas Crown Affair (1999). Even that slutty dress! I normally hate slutty dresses because there are very few people who can pull them off without looking like utter trash. She manages to stop right at the line of daring. I'm sure good lighting helps too but still.

download.jpg

• Love 5