Type keyword(s) to search

Fashion (Turn to the Left)!: Movie Outfits You Love

• Start Topic

(edited)

Here's another memorable sweater, but for the wrong reasons! Paul Verhoeven and the costume designer for "Basic Instinct" were like "How do we make Michael Douglas' middle aged cop character not seem out of place in this scene in a San Francisco dance club?" and there solution was:

DbKJolvUQAA6rY_.thumb.jpg.74158f4086af3f117d8c0f650a4810cc.jpg

Edited by VCRTracking
  • LOL 6
(edited)

As I've mentioned elsewhere, while I'm aware of how bloated and silly it is, I will love and defend The Slipper and the Rose: The Story of Cinderella 'til my last breath. Certainly Julie Harris (not to be confused with the beloved actress of the same name)'s costume design deserves a mention! Cinderella is probably the biggest fashion icon of the fairy tale world, so Harris certainly went all out giving star Gemma Craven the royal treatment! 

1. I confess her climactic ballgown isn't that impressive to me, but it's still lovely, and I normally hate the powdered wig look, but Craven manages to look adorable. (Image is at the very bottom, sorry)

2. I love this ode to the painting "The Swing". images.jpg.c939a75a52da3789b0d955a70d3c3db0.jpg

3. I actually prefer her wedding gown to the ballgown, with her hair swept back, pinned with a tiara and hair jewels.72a1dc2a5d2c8e9c98d15e2d07080ace.thumb.jpg.7e807b09ba61e77a92fcec929ebb212a.jpg

download.jpg

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Jake and Elwood's suits in The Blues Brothers. No matter what they went through in the movie, they still managed to look sharp!

Those suits are iconic.   The fashion bloggers Tom and Lorenzo have been doing a series on iconic movie costumes during these trying times.   They queried on Twitter for suggestions of both female and male costumes.   I immediately suggested these suits for the men, and  am (im)patiently waiting to see if they cover it.  So far, the posts have only covered the women.

• Love 5
On 7/20/2020 at 3:48 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

Those suits are iconic.   The fashion bloggers Tom and Lorenzo have been doing a series on iconic movie costumes during these trying times.   They queried on Twitter for suggestions of both female and male costumes.   I immediately suggested these suits for the men, and  am (im)patiently waiting to see if they cover it.  So far, the posts have only covered the women.

I like The Great Gatsby's outfits. Actors dressing is awesome in this film. But the funniest thing that I usuay put on something comfy like these clothes https://lalaoutfit.com/comfy-clothes-that-look-fashionable-style-ideas/. I am 100% sure that clothese from the Gatsby have nothing in common with convenience))

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

The first thought when looking at the costumes in THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD is "This isn't historically accurate." Second thought would be "Who the hell cares? They're great!"

57f3b14f2657de123bccd93a220e2dd9.png.c7d7c445af7ed74b99a50154a21bde9f.png

Exactly. Olivia's outfit in this photo is one of my favorites in the movie. God, she is so radiant as Maid Marian.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Dandesun said:

Watching the 40s version of 'Pride and Prejudice' is a whirlwind of 'not historically accurate' but damn if I don't have Anne Shirley-esque gasms over those puffed sleeves.

They set it in the vague "In the days of Olde England" to get away with it. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Still on a Cinderella kick...

I recently saw the Czech version of the story, 3 Nuts for Cinderella (alternate title: 3 Wishes for Cinderella*), and it took me a while, but Cinderella's ball gown has really grown on me. vlcsnap-2016-12-27-23h57m44s904-620x357.png.27616a8a7514e54099ce5b9db0627d34.png

Though, much like The Slipper and the Rose, I like her wedding dress more.

tri-orisky-pro-popelku-1024x757.thumb.jpg.b607389ef24c4b09031769d17e441d4c.jpg

*Note: Apologies to longtime fans of the movie, but I vastly prefer the alternate title. 

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 2

I love all the evening gowns in Jackie, especially the ones she tries on while she's getting drunk listening to "Camelot". Although even the beautiful dresses and jewelry wasn't enough to distract me from wondering how many pills she took without overdosing...

And Natalie rocked the infamous pink outfit, which was pretty sharp with the pillbox hat...that is until...well, we know what happend.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

This might be a weird one, but the link prom dress in Carrie. It's simple yet pretty, and probably the only prom attire in that movie that could still pass for stylish today.

Agreed. It's a very simple, flattering silhouette, and spaghetti straps never truly go out of style. You could absolutely wear it today, unlike Norma's god-awful "Look at me, I'm from the '70s!" burlap sack of a dress (and don't get me started on that loathsome red cap). 

• Love 4
(edited)

Speaking of Deanna Durbin films, I covet the heck out of Nan Grey (the blond sister)'s dress in Three Smart Girls Grow Up. I love the material, delicate embroidery, and puffed sleeves.download.jpg.34670744e04025f26a7b74dc2b31eaa2.jpg

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 1
On 5/8/2020 at 5:31 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Ooh, that is gorgeous. My other favorite ensemble from Rear Window is that minty green business suit with the smart little white hat with netting, and the chunky charm bracelet.

fc486bb5e9b86a012a8e82b450630ad3.jpg

Wow.

I wonder if Patricia Field is paying homage to that in Season 1 of Sex and the City.

carrie-bradshaw-church.jpg ohcome.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Speaking of the amazing Myrna, I've always loved her striped gown in The Thin Man.

myrnaloy.jpg

That is such a fun dress, and rare is the person who can pull off contrasting stripes (Audrey Hepburn could, as well). Myrna Loy doesn't get enough credit for how well she wore clothes. Her style is too underrated (heck, Loy herself is too underrated).

• Love 11
10 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I just rewatched Back to the Future II, and, holy moly, how cute is Lorraine's giraffe skirt?!

fdaeaea9c7bda7fbbf1e6b28712cc495.jpg.24848aea435c031a6af0adf24600d4ec.jpg

Note: Sorry the image is ruined somewhat by Biff's presence..

LOL no worries. And I'm gonna add Marty's iconic outfit from the first movie. That orange vest and jean jacket look is so 80s and I love it!

• Love 6
22 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Elizabeth Taylor’s white dress in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

Stunning.

Elizabeth-Taylor-ivory-short-homecoming-

So pretty! The woman, the dress, the picture, lovely. I wish we had more sex symbols who wore timeliness feminine fashion. The dress showed off her shape without her boobs or butt falling out. Compare this to how J.Lo and Kim K. often dress. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Zardoz was a ...choice. That costume is like a video game sumo wrestler in Grand Theft Auto.

If you’ve not seen the film, prepare yourself.

By dropping a couple tabs of acid. (Not that I speak from experience.)

Edited by xaxat
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3