Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E21: UnbuckleMe, Tanoshi, Proven Skincare, Vän Robotics

• Start Topic

A gadget designed to safely and quickly get children in and out of a car; a lower-cost computer for kids; a data-driven approach to skin care; a device created to bring a robot revolution to children's education; Anne Wojcicki guest sharks

(edited)

I love the Unbuckle gadget to make unhooking car seat buckles easier.   As Lori said, it's not just people with arthritis, or other hand issues, but the ones with the talon nails.   I think Lori and Mark will be great partners.   I hope they had a great inventory before this aired, because I'm sure they have millions of orders now.  

The Taneshi device looks great, and very useful.  I suspect that a large foundation like Gates will buy, and distribute these.  The issue I see is that just as some school districts issue lap tops to everyone, the second a computer goes home, it's not the kid's computer any more, it's the adults.   I'm glad they made a deal with Daymond. 

The skin care doesn't appeal to me at all.   "Proven" is fine for people that don't mind spending a lot for custom beauty routines, but that's not me.    I find it interesting that Mark is the only one who said "Thank You", to the custom formulas in his kit.   Kevin isn't understanding, that once someone starts using a custom skin care line, that they will keep doing that.   Lori's right, it's way too early to invest.   Kevin's right, the valuation of $10 million is absurd.  I can see why she didn't get a deal.   The entrepreneur should approach someone like Estee Lauder, and sell out to them.  Also, I don't think for someone who travels a lot, that the skin care line customization will work.    Since the kit had different items for different hardness of water, and other location specific products, I don't think it will work for everyone.  

Van Robotics with the kid appealing robot, Abbi,  was cute.  I don't see why the sharks said $999 for schools with the curricula included, and $599 for home is a high price.   Cell phones cost more than that.       Too bad she didn't get a deal, but it's early in the process.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

My biggest problem with the skin care pitch was that I couldn't follow what she was saying.  I felt like she just threw in a bunch of trendy Buzzwords that didn't really describe what they make/do.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

I've seen ads for the Proven skin care and as a woman of a certain age (ahem), I was interested in a routine that seemed simple and geared for me.  I've never taken the skin test, because I'm never sure how to answer some of the questions - I really am not sure what kind of skin I have or what my concerns really are.  I do know where I live, though.  If not too expensive, I am absolutely her target.   But I thought what might have been attractive to investors was her tech.

I never had a problem with seat belts until I sprained my thumb.  That device sure would have been handy, then but otherwise it's just another gadget to lose. 

• Love 3

Kid's carseats are almost impossible for me to unclick & I don't have arthritis. They were not designed with a woman who had nails as Lori said. I found that invention genius! One for my purse, one for my son's car.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Is there some rule that states the guest shark has to mention his/her company name everytime they speak?? Like we get it, your company is super successful n you had a one of a kind idea ,but give it a rest..

Sorry for the mini rant... 🙂

• Love 10

That weird robot thing reminded me of the "Black Mirror" episode with Miley Cyrus. No thanks!

I don't get the appeal of the kiddie komputer, but I don't have kids. It's precious that the inventors and Sharks think $200 is "affordable" for families that don't currently have a laptop because they can't afford it. There are already low-end laptops around that price point. And why would said families invest in a computer specifically for kids when they can get one for everyone in the family at a similar price. No.

My last/current laptop was about $400 10 years ago. It's still limping along (I do total system reformats/reinstalls every couple of years). That was all I could afford then and haven't been able to upgrade since.

I just don't know about the skincare line. The market is completely saturated. I use a line for my very problematic acne-prone and aging (45YO) skin, and I've been happy with it for years. It's relatively affordable for me, whereas the Proven set is $145 for 60 days' worth of product! Yikes!

• Love 4

I loved the unbuckle device and the sellers--that was a real old-school Shark Tank product.  The sellers found a problem that needed fixing and fixed it.  I couldn't really follow what the laptop thing was about, but I gather they would do something with software.  Good luck to them. 

The skin care line was ridiculous.  She was all doubletalk.  There are no miracles in skin care.  I know a dermatologist who tried to get rich selling a skin care line--he wasted a fortune. 

As for the robot, I could not even follow what it was and stopped watching. 

23 hours ago, BucFan said:

Did Lori and Mark do the “unbuckle gadget” for 15% or 20% ?

I think it stayed at 20%.

• Love 5

Can someone explain Hatch Baby to me?  They had an update.  I must have missed the original product--a baby changing pad? 

They actually flopped with that but succeeded wildly with weird night light-white noise machines?  I had to google this.

Is this really a thing for babies?  They need to have someone controlling their environment to that degree or they won't sleep?  And adults need this too? 

On 5/8/2020 at 4:08 PM, GussieK said:

Can someone explain Hatch Baby to me?  They had an update.  I must have missed the original product--a baby changing pad? 

They actually flopped with that but succeeded wildly with weird night light-white noise machines?  I had to google this.

Is this really a thing for babies?  They need to have someone controlling their environment to that degree or they won't sleep?  And adults need this too? 

I've been sleeping with a white noise machine for over 10 years now and I cannot sleep without it. No fancy lights or anything, it's just the noise. https://www.amazon.com/Marpac-Original-Machine-Soothing-Cancelling/dp/B07NJSDBQ3/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2TH11XZO10309&dchild=1&keywords=marpac+sound+machine&qid=1589080752&sprefix=Marpac%2Caps%2C184&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExMjhaNjVHSjdCNTMmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAyOTIyODEyWEM5VjJFU0JBMVdEJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMjYwMTkyNVlFOUs1MUVOVDNRJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

My younger son was a terrible sleeper as a baby and I used to keep a radio on in his room at low volume for some background noise.

• Useful 2
On 5/8/2020 at 2:08 PM, GussieK said:

The original product was a home baby scale that sent information to the doctor's office through wifi for $300. I said then there wouldn't be a big enough market for it, and it appears as though I was right. Too bad the sharks never listen to me and keep investing in crap that people don't need just to convince them to spend their money stupidly. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

The original product was a home baby scale that sent information to the doctor's office through wifi for $300. I said then there wouldn't be a big enough market for it, and it appears as though I was right. Too bad the sharks never listen to me and keep investing in crap that people don't need just to convince them to spend their money stupidly. 

Wow, that is a dumb idea.  Now that you are describing it, I vaguely remember it.  I usually drift off during the stupidest presentations. 

3 hours ago, eel21788 said:

The original product was a home baby scale that sent information to the doctor's office through wifi for $300.

I remember that one, I think that episode was on CNBC in the past week or so. One of their big "selling points" was to weigh the baby before and after breast feeding, to make sure he/she was getting enough.

• Useful 1
On 5/8/2020 at 10:22 AM, Eve93 said:

Is there some rule that states the guest shark has to mention his/her company name everytime they speak?? Like we get it, your company is super successful n you had a one of a kind idea ,but give it a rest..

Sorry for the mini rant... 🙂

Omg the worst was the go pro guy was the worst every other second . Super annoying . Rant away !!

• Love 1
16 hours ago, GussieK said:

Wow, that is a dumb idea.  Now that you are describing it, I vaguely remember it.  I usually drift off during the stupidest presentations. 

The best part of the follow-up segment was when Chris Sacca was like, “Boy, the other sharks should feel dumb for missing out on this deal.”  Um, my dude, the product you invested in was so bad that it had no sales and no longer exists, resulting in a pivot to a completely unrelated product. You didn’t make a good investment- you invested in a bad idea. You just got lucky that you guys managed to salvage the failure by creating a completely different thing, which likely resulted in spending a bazillion more dollars to design, test, produce and market. I’m pretty sure the sharks who didn’t put themselves through that burden aren’t the dummies. 

• Love 4
On 5/8/2020 at 3:59 PM, GussieK said:

I loved the unbuckle device and the sellers--that was a real old-school Shark Tank product.  The sellers found a problem that needed fixing and fixed it.  I couldn't really follow what the laptop thing was about, but I gather they would do something with software.  Good luck to them. 

The skin care line was ridiculous.  She was all doubletalk.  There are no miracles in skin care.  I know a dermatologist who tried to get rich selling a skin care line--he wasted a fortune. 

As for the robot, I could not even follow what it was and stopped watching. 

I think it stayed at 20%.

So the "artificial intelligence" was answering a bunch of questions for the skin care?  If I want a customized program, I'd rather go to a dermatologist and have a Dr. figure out what my skin problems are than answer a bunch of questions online!    

Not to mention, the market is so flooded with skin care products.

The robot was annoying!