Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E23: You Got It All

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Alicia and Paul are both offered jobs to work on Jesse Jackson's presidential campaign, but Alicia's law firm makes her an enticing offer to stay; Rainbow struggles to define her racial identity on a form.  Season 1 finale.

Airs May 5, 2020.

8 hours ago, elle said:

They look like they were having fun during the video at the end.  I imagine a lot of laughter.

I agree, I do love it when shows do that and let the cast just have fun. Looks more natural.

• Love 5

Nobody mentions the real victim here, that poor security guard that was just doing things by the book (unfortunately that book was written in 1948 when he first became a security guard). Fired just days before he was to retire with a full pension. He rues the day that he espied those 3 and a half black people loitering in his store and even more, their highfalutin black lady lawyer. 

• LOL 4

That music video looked like a blast, I can imagine everyone was having a grand old time making that! Those curls! 

Nice way to kind of bring the season full circle, with everyone realizing that they are happy where they are and are all making their lives outside of the commune. 

"Its a school event."

"...so gin?" 

• Love 4

I am 100% on Santi's side when it comes to Gallagher.  I never understood the whole Smashing watermelons thing.

I liked the argument between Alicia and Paul. I was on Alicia's side.  Not all effective change is big and global.  Some of the most important are small and local.

I did feel bad for Paul though, he is an activist who is having trouble finding a cause.  And I just realized that he was a stay at home dad  LOL.  How did I not know that?

That video was hella fun looking. Also, Paul and Harrison's wig game cracked me up.  And Bow did look like she could be a lost Debarge.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Nobody mentions the real victim here, that poor security guard that was just doing things by the book (unfortunately that book was written in 1948 when he first became a security guard). Fired just days before he was to retire with a full pension. He rues the day that he espied those 3 and a half black people loitering in his store and even more, their highfalutin black lady lawyer. 

BOO! HOO!

(edited)

Good episode, I assume it was the season finale.  Bow struggling with her identity was handled so well.  I remember reading that Meghan Markle had a similar problem in school as there is no box that states Biracial.  Maybe today there is, IDK.

Actually, why do they need to know that at all!

Edited by LucyEth
  • Love 1

Model, actress, and part-time veterinarian. Can't say Santamonica wasn't ambitious.

Odd anachronism. Age 13 Bow would not have known about Tiger Woods' "Caublinasian" thing because it hadn't happened yet. Was the show suggesting that Bow knew Tiger when they were kids?

I'm gonna say Harrison did Paul a favor giving Alicia that partnership.

Yeah, that video at the end looked fun. Guess getting the rights to a song by The Jets was cheaper than one by DeBarge. 🤔

• Love 2

I don't think it was a favor. I think we're meant to think Alicia is genuinely an excellent lawyer, and Harrison kept her for his own reasons-- both because of her professional skills and also because he wanted the family around. He did it for himself.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

I don't think it was a favor. I think we're meant to think Alicia is genuinely an excellent lawyer, and Harrison kept her for his own reasons-- both because of her professional skills and also because he wanted the family around. He did it for himself.

Okay, I'll say "inadvertent" favor. I was making a veiled political comment and I'll just leave it at that.

Yes, I agree, Alicia deserved the promotion regardless of Harrison's true motives for the timing of it.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, LucyEth said:

Good episode, I assume it was the season finale.  Bow struggling with her identity was handled so well.  I remember reading that Meghan Markle had a similar problem in school as there is no box that states Biracial.  Maybe today there is, IDK.

Actually, why do they need to know that at all!

Depending on what other information the questionnaire was asking, demographic data might be important for being able to see trends. This appeared to be more of a surface-y "getting to know you" kind of thing, but it might still be revealing - for example, if there's a question asking about students' favorite classes and hardly any kids of color put math or science, in theory a school could try and figure out some kind of targeted outreach to make those classes more engaging for those populations (not that I'm confident that Bow's school would necessarily do something like that.)

At the school I used to work for, we would do annual student surveys that were pretty extensive. In addition to asking about demographic information and academic stuff, we asked about bullying, school lunches, substance abuse, mental health, whether kids felt safe at school/had friends/thought their teachers treated them respectfully/etc., and again, demographic information could help identify important patterns.

• Love 2
On 5/8/2020 at 9:29 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Odd anachronism. Age 13 Bow would not have known about Tiger Woods' "Caublinasian" thing because it hadn't happened yet. Was the show suggesting that Bow knew Tiger when they were kids?

This threw me at first, but I think the Tiger line was an extension of the narration, like a “What I wish I could have said” moment. It was just an awkward snap right back into reality. 

• Love 3
On 5/8/2020 at 9:29 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

I'm gonna say Harrison did Paul a favor giving Alicia that partnership.

Paul was such a baby during the episode.  Maybe it is just Mark Paul Gosselaar does not have the most range as an actor, so it felt like he spent most of the episode whining about not getting his own way.  I just really wanted Alicia to slap him, point out they have three children who need stability and the family can't go running off to join a political campaign for the next two years.  I just think the character is too old to be acting the way he does at times.