Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Stranger In A Strange Land

• Start Topic

On 4/13/2020 at 3:53 PM, Pepper Mostly said:

I wish I could like this post one thousand times. Do poor people have to be clad in filthy rags and combing through cow shit in search of an undigested corn kernel for sustenance?

I have come to the conclusion that these Americans seeking younger, good-looking spouses are intentionally seeking someone relatively 'poor' because they think that what little money they have (or pretend to have) will seem like a lot to their foreign intended. How many times have we seen the fiancee come to America only to learn their loved one is almost broke? I can't think of anyone who actually owned what they pretended/promised to own. Remember Danielle, David, Coltee, The guy who lived with his daughter and owed child support, etc.? These idiots want US to think they are 'saving' their fiancees from hardship, when I believe these hard-working fiancees would be better off escaping once they do acquire their green card. Why would they want to be stuck for years, paying off their idiot spouse's debts simply because they're married?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Chalby said:

I have come to the conclusion that these Americans seeking younger, good-looking spouses are intentionally seeking someone relatively 'poor' because they think that what little money they have (or pretend to have) will seem like a lot to their foreign intended. How many times have we seen the fiancee come to America only to learn their loved one is almost broke? I can't think of anyone who actually owned what they pretended/promised to own. Remember Danielle, David, Coltee, The guy who lived with his daughter and owed child support, etc.? These idiots want US to think they are 'saving' their fiancees from hardship, when I believe these hard-working fiancees would be better off escaping once they do acquire their green card. Why would they want to be stuck for years, paying off their idiot spouse's debts simply because they're married?

I've said this a million times since I started watching.  The foreign fiances truly have no idea what they're in for here, yes, the money would be great in your home country. . But try enjoying yourself in the U.S. without sufficient income, worrying about paying the bills.

I think of Akinyi and Ben.  He was bringing her to a tiny bedroom in his pastor's house, he doesn't own a car and seems to have very little.  Many of these people will be in for a rude shock, their lives here will be pretty joyless.

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, blubld43 said:

I've said this a million times since I started watching.  The foreign fiances truly have no idea what they're in for here, yes, the money would be great in your home country. . But try enjoying yourself in the U.S. without sufficient income, worrying about paying the bills.

I think of Akinyi and Ben.  He was bringing her to a tiny bedroom in his pastor's house, he doesn't own a car and seems to have very little.  Many of these people will be in for a rude shock, their lives here will be pretty joyless.

...and they lose their support system of family and friends.  

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

...and they lose their support system of family and friends.  

Exactly, I mean, Akinyi's life in Kenya looks very different to western eyes, but she seemed generally happy.  Her family was present, everyone seems to have their needs met.

Oth, I also believe that maybe they're not as naive as we think.  Maybe anything is worth getting the work permit so they can start sending money back home. 

I thank God truly for my good fortune in being born a U.S. citizen.  Seeing the grim choices impoverished women often have to make has me feeling pretty humble.

• Love 6
On 4/24/2020 at 4:25 AM, blubld43 said:

I think of Akinyi and Ben.  He was bringing her to a tiny bedroom in his pastor's house, he doesn't own a car and seems to have very little. 

Exactly!! I couldn't think of this couple's name for the life of me, but that's exactly why I become so annoyed at the Americans involved. He knows he has no money or future potential to earn lots, but he sure isn't sharing that reality with her or negating Akinyi's assumptions he more wealthy than she is. Financially, she would be better off staying at home, or moving on to another foreigner (I am sure she's been receiving other options). Any choice is better than eeking out a living with him. 

• Love 5
On 4/13/2020 at 7:36 AM, Frozendiva said:

People who aren't in poverty also live like this. My relatives pooh-poohed an air conditioner for years.  I was weak in getting a portable one for my bedroom. Global warming changed their minds. They now have a room sized unit.

Right!? Here in the backwaters of europe, most of us don't have aircon despite regular heatwaves of 30-40C (i think that's around 90-100F??) during the summer.