Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Stranger In A Strange Land

• Start Topic

23 hours ago, gavinmac said:

I think your points are all valid and I probably overstated how easy it is to get a K-1 visa. However, I've heard consular officers say/write that don't see their role as a protector of Americans against doing something stupid. If a sixty year old, successful American-born man foolishly wants to marry a 30 year old Ukrainian whom he barely knows, they are generally going to let him and not try to c*kblock him.  If a poor sixty year old Vietnamese-American wants to marry the 30 year old niece of his former neighbor in Vietnam, then bells will go off that maybe it's fraud and that the girl's family is paying him to do it.

I would hope that by the time David and Lana had their embassy interview they'd have proof of more time together, but who knows. It's odd to see a guy acting giddy about a woman who blows him off for seven years and then says "I'll meet you but only because it's necessary for me to get a visa." As you know, he also needs to submit a letter from her with his initial K-1 petition saying "I intend to marry this old American dude" so if she exists he should get letter from her that when he gets the necessary hostage photo.

Well sure, but you'd also hope that after "dating" for 7 years they'd have met in person or at least have spoken on the phone by now and yet...

• Love 1

I've gotta think that there are probably a few women out there watching this show who would be down for bringing Usman over here ... he's kinda cute, is respectful to his mom and sisters, and has refrained from killing BGL. He could do SO much better!

I keep thinking that there has to be a 90DF spin-off (even if it's a one-and-done) of didn't-get-married-after-all "cast members" who met their true-for-now loves courtesy of their 15 minutes of fame on the show. 

• Love 12
On 4/15/2020 at 7:38 PM, RealReality said:

Sorry, but I think once the cloak of no is on, all discussion should be over.  Maybe if she wore the seafoam cloak, there would be room for discussion. But the cloak of no should be final and binding.  

Though I think brother Usman should also demand a goat as payment to intervene in BGLs behalf.  

I think Usmans mom should manufacture "cloaks of NO"😁

• LOL 10
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, blubld43 said:

I think Usmans mom should manufacture "cloaks of NO"😁

Agreed.  Think of how many amazing ways the cloak of No could be used.  

Your useless cousin asks to borrow money.  Just put on the cloak of no. 

Bank wants to deny your application for a loan.  Just use the cloak of no.  

Someone like Geoffrey asks you on a date....just put on the cloak of no.  

Some weirdo rubbing your feet asks you to kiss him?  Put on the cloak of no and be done with it. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 3
49 minutes ago, RealReality said:

Some weirdo rubbing your feet asks you to kiss him?  Put on the cloak of no and be done with it. 

I would never stop wearing it, maybe I need a cloak of yes too😁

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Usman’s mother’s face just read, “I can’t believe this boy would waste my time by bringing this trash to my front door.” Lisa had to feel that. She knows she’s trashy (as is Angela) and the reaction of Usman’s family confirmed it. They held a virtual mirror up to her face and it embarrassed her. I think that’s why she was harassing Usman about how long he had to prepare. In the Hilary documentary, HRC talks about meeting her future MIL for the first time and she could tell Mrs. Clinton didn’t approve of her. It still seems to sting even to this day. I know BGL had to feel as stupid as she looks.

Edited by charmed1
  • Love 9
11 hours ago, blubld43 said:

I would never stop wearing it, maybe I need a cloak of yes too😁

LOL, if you wash your cloak of no and your cloak of yes together in hot water and the colors bleed do you then have a cloak of maybe?  

Asking for a friend interested in cloak communication 🙂

• LOL 7

Rewatching now.  Poor Ed.  Wet mattress, no 1000 count thread sheets, being bitten by “a” mosquito. Just one. And wondering if Rose just wants out.  Well no shit Sherlock she wants out and a better life.  If he had thought about this and listened to the words of his coworker, he wouldn’t be so shocked.  What, did he think Rose had a merry life in a mansion there???

• Love 8
On 4/13/2020 at 10:43 AM, Pondlass1 said:

That rat looked sick. Ed is delusional if he thinks this is a love story.  If he was a half decent fellow he’d buy a bed for Rose and Prince and maybe look into having a proper roof or the existing one waterproofed instead of complaining. I’m sure he could easily afford it.

Hopefully the family is compensated for allowing filming.

And why not stop being such a selfish lusting toad and book dad and son into the hotel for a treat? It could make Rose like him a wee bit. Because she despises him. She’s paying a high price.
Rose and her family live in poverty but they seem decent, healthy and relatively happy. If you’ve never known luxury you never miss it.

Compare Rose with the mess that is Darcy. Who’s happier?

Beige and yellow are not your colours, Baby Girl Lisa.  It’s interesting that Angela was filmed constantly lighting up cigarettes, but although we know BLG smokes we’ve never ever seen her smoking.

I agree with all your assessments.

Did anyone else see the pictures of Ed  when he was younger?  I had wondered  How he had gotten a wife to begin with, But seeing the pictures you couldn't see it. He has just let himself go and he's a pig. He doesn't have to look like that because of his affliction.  I really pray that rose does not go with him. Her life may be sad in many ways, but if she goes with him, it'll be worse.  It will not make her happy. I feel sorry for her. He comes across as creepy.

• Love 2
On 4/14/2020 at 12:28 PM, CountryGirl said:

You know, I never thought the day would come when I would compliment Grangela but that day, my friends, is here.

She actually seems like she might be fun to hang out with. In the smallest of doses, of course.

Lisa - I'd rather have my eyelashes pulled out one by one than spend a nanosecond with her.

Also, this:

zuq7yovkxaj41.jpg

Not me!  Can't stand either one.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 4/13/2020 at 4:06 PM, gingerella said:

THANK YOU for saying this! There are soooo many things he could have done to make her life better there, but as you said, everything was all about him. He's a fucking asshole. One thing we've not been talking about here - because there are SO MANY things that we can talk about with this turd - is that he keeps saying he's a father but his daughter is so disgusted with him about the Rose situation, that she's not speaking to him. She grudgingly called him at the airport but that's it. And I'd wager that right about now, she's not speaking to him again because of his appallingly gross behavior. I would go so far as to call Egg predatory. He really is the lowest scum we've had on this show in a long time what with him always trying to disguise his self-centered sexual fantasies in some sort of 'Look how caring and respectful I really am' bullshit that's so thin we can see right through the charade.

Silverspoons I agree with you wholeheartedly.  I think Ed is the worst kind of creep.

• Love 4
On 4/13/2020 at 1:51 PM, renatae said:

Usman's mom for the win! "NO." Exeunt. Priceless!

Lisa's comment while getting into the van showed why she has no business marrying Usman. "You had two years to get that right." Sorry, Lisa, there is no way to make a silk purse out of your particular sow's ear.

She is the sow.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I re-watched this last night (quarantine  inertia) and caught a great line from Usman when they had the goat in the car.  I have to paraphrase...

BGL: The goat is very talkative

Usman: Yes, just like you.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, antfitz said:

Not me!  Can't stand either one.

How old are these two supposed to be?  I'm 63 and I know I look younger than both these two, Lisa clearly could benefit from a skin care regimen.  

I mean, if you want to be with a decades-younger man, at least try not to embarrass yourself, put some effort into it!

• Love 2
15 hours ago, antfitz said:

Silverspoons I agree with you wholeheartedly.  I think Ed is the worst kind of creep.

Ed is a creep because he tries to package himself as a " nice guy" when, in fact, he's a manipulative selfish asshole.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Meowwww said:

Rewatching now.  Poor Ed.  Wet mattress, no 1000 count thread sheets, being bitten by “a” mosquito. Just one. And wondering if Rose just wants out.  Well no shit Sherlock she wants out and a better life.  If he had thought about this and listened to the words of his coworker, he wouldn’t be so shocked.  What, did he think Rose had a merry life in a mansion there???

He should politely excuse himself from this relationship, send her $500 for services rendered and shut down his dating profile.  This is not a love story in the making, this would be servitude in the making.

• Love 3

I knew someone who was deeply hurt from a marriage where he was used for all he had to give. Then she left him and not in a way where he could pull up an ounce of bounce-back. He turned into a complete jerk. Sometimes that is all that is left.

In an abstract way, Ed has little to pull from given his disability and his lack of smooth moves. 

• Love 1
On 4/14/2020 at 5:56 PM, LadyoftheLake23 said:

My Mom is on hospice care right now, and I'm with you on this Meowwww. I can't meet the hospice nurse and aides in person under our current pandemic circumstances, but if I could and it was someone like BGL or Grangela I would be absolutely horrified! 

Hugs to you and your Mom. 
My mom would have gotten a kick out of Angela, I think.  Mom lived in western South Carolina, I can imagine big ol’ southern Angela calling my mom “honey” and talking about cigarettes (my mom smoked).  

On 4/15/2020 at 1:40 AM, magemaud said:

Does David really think taking ONE picture with her will prove they're in a relationship? Even Robert and Anny took a few in the eight hours they spent together in the DR, complete with a couple of clothing changes. 

“Take the picture and do the visa.”

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 4/15/2020 at 2:27 AM, magemaud said:

I’m always totally distracted when I talk to people with facial piercings and find myself just staring at them. I’ve never seen anyone with two different style nose piercings like Erika so I’m extra intrigued. I noticed that she appears to remove them for her THs. 

And she has a troll tattoo on her forearm! 

Me too, especially the septum piercing that looks like a bull ring. It wiggles when people talk.  

On 4/18/2020 at 6:14 AM, blubld43 said:

How old are these two supposed to be?  I'm 63 and I know I look younger than both these two, Lisa clearly could benefit from a skin care regimen.  

I mean, if you want to be with a decades-younger man, at least try not to embarrass yourself, put some effort into it!

Angela is Fitty Two.  😜.   So is BGL.  BGL’s 80s hair gives her away as being my age (I am 49). 

DRINKING GAME!!!! Every time that worthless piece of shit sociopath Stephanie says illness take a shot .... she’s a miserable human being ... I can’t stand people like her ... everything puts them off and they’re never happy .... RUN ERIKA .... this bitch Stephanie is gonna suck the soul out of you .... She’s a fake piece of shit 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, FrankieTankie said:

DRINKING GAME!!!! Every time that worthless piece of shit sociopath Stephanie says illness take a shot .... she’s a miserable human being ... I can’t stand people like her ... everything puts them off and they’re never happy .... RUN ERIKA .... this bitch Stephanie is gonna suck the soul out of you .... She’s a fake piece of shit 

Wait wait - and drink a shot every time she says "makes me uncomfortable"!  I think she's said that 66 times since we've seen her in Australia!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

There are soooo many things he could have done to make her life better there, but as you said, everything was all about him. He's a fucking asshole.

Right?? When he realizes that this young woman and HER CHILD sleep on the floor with the rats and the mosquitoes and the roof open to the rain...he's worried about HIMSELF. "Is it safe? Is the roof going to come down on me?" Where the heck is the sympathy for the fact that this is the only home she and her child can afford? Where is the concern about _them_ getting electrocuted? He's a terrible human being.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, IvySpice said:

Right?? When he realizes that this young woman and HER CHILD sleep on the floor with the rats and the mosquitoes and the roof open to the rain...he's worried about HIMSELF. "Is it safe? Is the roof going to come down on me?" Where the heck is the sympathy for the fact that this is the only home she and her child can afford? Where is the concern about _them_ getting electrocuted? He's a terrible human being.

And he calls that "love"? He only loves himself.

• Love 1
On 4/13/2020 at 10:16 AM, ethalfrida said:

Omg, why wouldn’t they be clean? 

The whole area they walk around in is wet, muddy, dusty etc. Rose wears totally  clean white Keds. They have pretty primitive living conditions. I can’t keep my white sneakers that clean working in my backyard and running them thru a nice washing machine. 
I wasn’t trying to be insulting to Rose or Usman. I just was observing something. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 4/14/2020 at 10:37 AM, zenme said:

No, I can't.  The way these people live is really humbling to me, and for most, it's all they've ever known. I'm going to try to stop complaining, when in reality I have a cushy life compared to many. This makes me even more angry when I think of Ed and his not inviting Prince on vacation.  Even a trip to Manila to get an ice cream cone would have been an adventure for him.  Asshole.

Sorry, Ed  is an asshole for sure, but Rose is Prince’s mother. It’s on her to look out for him. So far she’s dumped him on her sister the whole time Ed has been there. If Ed wants to go to a hotel to get some ass, and some air conditioning, Rose needs to step up as a mom and insist that Prince come along. After all they will be a family if Ed decides to marry Rose. Or will Rose decide to leave Prince with her sister and “send money“ back home? That wouldn’t shock me at all.  

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, iwasish said:

Sorry, Ed  is an asshole for sure, but Rose is Prince’s mother. It’s on her to look out for him. So far she’s dumped him on her sister the whole time Ed has been there. If Ed wants to go to a hotel to get some ass, and some air conditioning, Rose needs to step up as a mom and insist that Prince come along. After all they will be a family if Ed decides to marry Rose. Or will Rose decide to leave Prince with her sister and “send money“ back home? That wouldn’t shock me at all.  

If Ed ever thought of anything other than what HE wants (regardless of what other people need), he might have said to Rose's sister, "You asked me for money before I got here.  I'm not going to give money away, but I will pay you $____ in exchange for taking care of Prince while I am here so that Rose I can spend time together."

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 4/17/2020 at 11:40 AM, RealReality said:

I am wearing the cloak of NO for all of Geoffrey's segments, I notice he and Varya are never shown for Pillow Talk either.

19 hours ago, AZChristian said:

If Ed ever thought of anything other than what HE wants (regardless of what other people need), he might have said to Rose's sister, "You asked me for money before I got here.  I'm not going to give money away, but I will pay you $____ in exchange for taking care of Prince while I am here so that Rose I can spend time together."

This would have been the thoughtful thing to do.  Ed completely lost me with his attitude the minute he got to the Philippines.

Edited by blubld43
  • Love 6
16 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

I’m really interested in knowing how much Rose Marie’s asked for.   $10,000, just no.    $100, want to understand more.  

IIRC it was $5000. If I am not recalling correctly, hopefully someone will clarify.

16 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

I’m really interested in knowing how much Rose Marie’s asked for.   $10,000, just no.    $100, want to understand more.  

Really good point.  It also makes a huge difference, too.  If someone is asking for the moon, versus a little to help them squeak by.

• Love 1
On 4/12/2020 at 11:25 PM, iwasish said:

Why didn’t he bring the sheets in his luggage? If all the other crap he sent was “lost” why risk not having the sheets? And didn’t he insure the packages after the first couple disappeared?

He probably did have them with him. He just didn't want them to get dirty. Or wet. Or pooped on by a sick mouse.

• LOL 4
12 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I went back and watched it and I haven't heard an amount mentioned at all.

Did we see the email? My memory truly resembles a hunk of Jarlsberg cheese so I don't trust it, but the way I imagiremember it was we saw the email from her ... 

11 minutes ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Did we see the email? My memory truly resembles a hunk of Jarlsberg cheese so I don't trust it, but the way I imagiremember it was we saw the email from her ... 

It was a phone text, as I recall. No mention of an amount.

• Love 1
On 4/20/2020 at 2:56 PM, AZChristian said:

Why give her money to watch Prince? She’s been doing it for free all this time. He has no intention of supporting her family and no intention of letting her think she’ll be living in any kind of luxury back in the USA. Should he decide to bring her to the USA as his Queen... she will have access to nothing other than what HE decides she has need of, and only he decides when that time is. 
She obviously wants to come to the USA, I hope she realizes the devil she is hooking her wagon to in order to get here. This is one couple that I find equally unlikeable. 

• Love 3
On 4/21/2020 at 2:20 PM, Teri313 said:

He probably did have them with him. He just didn't want them to get dirty. Or wet. Or pooped on by a sick mouse.

He said he sent them to her in advance, but they didn’t arrive. 

13 hours ago, iwasish said:

Which is entirely possible.  Not everyone is honest at post offices, and packages DO disappear.  Many things could have happened to the sheets in transit.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Kyanight said:

Which is entirely possible.  Not everyone is honest at post offices, and packages DO disappear.  Many things could have happened to the sheets in transit.

He could even be lying about sending them in the first place.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 9:58 PM, iwasish said:

IMO they were sold. WTF is he thinking? They have a storage room? Rose probably gave the sheets to her sister to sell to pay for daycare. Like the lady last season who gave the car to her sister to make money as a taxi. Those gifts are nothing but income.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 10:41 AM, DEL901 said:

Rose's sister seems to think he is rich. Who knows what she thinks she can ask from a "rich" American. I'm thinking, though, that it was a medium amount. Enough that Ed threw a fit and wouldn't spring for it (aka, 100 bucks) but not so much he wants to call himself out for being cheap (i.e., 1000 dollars). I'm thinking she might have asked for 500 - 1000.

I'm always wrong though. This scripted shit makes it hard to guess what will happen. (Plus I'm bad at it anyway).

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, mamadrama said:

He could even be lying about sending them in the first place.

I expect this, he's lying or not telling all. Over the last 20 years, I have sent packages to very 'iffy' places around the world, yet these packages have ALWAYS arrived - some a little mauled over (Libya) - BUT they still arrived! This has always impressed me, so whenever I hear a 'lost in the mail' excuse, I immediately become suspect.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4