Type keyword(s) to search

Soapdish (1991)

• Start Topic

I loved this film. It always cracks me up, especially as I was a teenage soap opera addict. I read Sally Fields’ autobiography and she just slammed past this film, not really acknowledging the humor and the cast. I was disappointed. I wanted some dish on this one.

And Lordy be, Teri Hatcher’s hair was amazing.

• Love 11

It's the reveal of Cathy Moriarty's character at the end that gives me the biggest laugh.

Oh, and "They LOVE me in Canada!"

Ever notice that quite a few of Kevin Kline's movies end with a dance scene/conga? I loved that.

4 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I read Sally Fields’ autobiography and she just slammed past this film, not really acknowledging the humor and the cast. I was disappointed. I wanted some dish on this one.

Me too. Also would've liked some stuff about Steel Magnolias and Mrs. Doubtfire.

• Love 4

I watched this yesterday (thanks Amazon), it's been a long time since I've seen it. Whoopi was the star of this one for me, I used to just love her. I thought she looked really beautiful too.

• Love 13

"You know what that means? It means he hasn't got a HEAD! How'm I supposed to write for a guy that doesn't have a head? No lips, no vocal chords--what do you want me to do?"😂🤣😂

"What I want you to help me understand is making Celeste, Montana's MOTHER. Now, did Celeste have her when she was 5, 6, 7, when?"

• LOL 12
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

"You know what that means? It means he hasn't got a HEAD! How'm I supposed to write for a guy that doesn't have a head? No lips, no vocal chords--what do you want me to do?"😂🤣😂

This scene, imo, is the funniest scene in the movie.  But, as much as I love Whoopi's response, it's  RDJ brings it home with "They froze the head.  They put it on ice and put it back on in a precedent setting 2 day operation.  I mean, will you use your imagination?", which of course, makes Whoopi's "He doesn't have a head!" even funnier.  The whole 2 minutes is brilliant and they played to perfection.

I can't think of anyone who was miscast in this movie.  They were all excellent. 

• Love 17
(edited)
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

This scene, imo, is the funniest scene in the movie.  But, as much as I love Whoopi's response, it's  RDJ brings it home with "They froze the head.  They put it on ice and put it back on in a precedent setting 2 day operation.  I mean, will you use your imagination?", which of course, makes Whoopi's "He doesn't have a head!" even funnier.  The whole 2 minutes is brilliant and they played to perfection.

Yes, and that exchange makes even better the later scene when Celeste reveals all about Lori's parentage - she got pregnant, and the show made her agree never to mention it, so she went back home and gave the baby to her mom to raise, making up a twin sister who died in a car wreck as the mother, while the show told everyone she had TB and sent the character to a sanitarium - and Rose mutters to herself, "Why can't I write shit like this?"

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 6
  • Love 9

Love this movie. One of my favorite bits is when Celeste is filming a scene with her character's younger love interest where he drops the towel that he has wrapped around his waist.

Celeste: Next time could you wear a swimsuit underneath the towel? It's a little early in the day for me.

Bolt: I can't act in a swimsuit. 

• Love 12

Let's not forget how great Kevin Kline is at comedy.  He probably didn't have as many laugh lines, but what he did was great.  I can't hear anything about Rhode Island without thinking of his irritation with dinner theater and shouting "Yeah!  Providence!  RHODE ISLAND!!".  And that scene where he refused to wear his glasses and couldn't read the teleprompter w/o Sally Field's help was genius. 

• Love 16
On 4/3/2020 at 5:30 PM, Bastet said:

sent the character to a sanitarium - and Rose mutters to herself, "Why can't I write shit like this?"

Sent the character to a sanitarium in Tierra del Fuego.  That just makes the scene. 

Also, when Sally Field is volunteering for the brain transplant and Kevin Kline is like: "I don't think you realize how serious this operation will be.  You will not have a brain when it is complete." 

• Love 9
17 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

And that scene where he refused to wear his glasses and couldn't read the teleprompter w/o Sally Field's help was genius. 

I love the moment where even Celeste gets stumped by that long ass medical word. At first she's annoyed again that he refused to wear the glasses and then you see her eyes widen as she realizes that she's not even sure how to pronounce that crazy long word. Then of course Kevin just quickly says the word like it was the easiest part about the script. 

I'm glad to know there are other people agree that this movie is hilarious. It's not one people talk about very often.

• Love 11

I was just thinking of Soapdish the other day! I think it made me a diehard Sally Field fan (this and an Eye for an Eye, which is a totally different experience). This movie and Delirious was everything to my young soap loving heart ever wanted.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
(edited)

Montana Moorehead : [after seeing Lori on People magazine]  YOU - promised me you would get rid of Celeste. WE WERE BOTH NAKED AND YOU PROMISED! NAKED!

David Barnes : Hey! We were never naked.

Montana Moorehead : Well, we could've been! Not only did you not get rid of Celeste but you - YOU CREATED LORI! This ingénue from HELL! She has more lines than I do and she's a GOD... DAMN... MUTE!

Edited by GaT
  • LOL 6
  • Love 5

A couple of other moments I like--

When Rose and Celeste are discussing what they've done to their children. (Although the reveal that Lori is actually Celeste's daughter hasn't happened yet.) 

Celeste: Have you ever done anything really horrible to them?

Rose: Aside from naming my twins Venus and Saturn, which was grist for the mill for ten years? Ten years! And my mother finally for gave me like a year ago---but she keeps bringing it up at public holidays.

When Celeste is also taking scissors to her clothes like she's just on the verge of becoming completely unhinged after having a discussion with Tawny about trying a new look.

Tawny: How do you feel about a Tammy Faye Baker... kind of a thing, you know? Not like the boots or crucifix or anything... but some eyelashes to bring your eyes out.

Celeste: Tawny!

Later on Rose tells Celeste that word on the set is that she's totally crazed.

• Love 7
On 4/2/2020 at 7:09 PM, festivus said:

I watched this yesterday (thanks Amazon), it's been a long time since I've seen it. Whoopi was the star of this one for me, I used to just love her. I thought she looked really beautiful too.

I've watched "Soapdish" many times.  I'll watch anything with Whoopi.  Did you ever try "Jumpin Jack Flash"?  The movie isn't the best but she is soooooo cute in it and the whole movie is hers.

On 4/6/2020 at 9:42 AM, JessePinkman said:

I was just thinking of Soapdish the other day! I think it made me a diehard Sally Field fan (this and an Eye for an Eye, which is a totally different experience). This movie and Delirious was everything to my young soap loving heart ever wanted.

That (Delirious) brings me back.  Maybe I should rewatch that one.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Avaleigh said:

Later on Rose tells Celeste that word on the set is that she's totally crazed.

"What is that in your mouth?"

"It's a cigarette."

"I know it's a cigarette, what is it doing in your mouth? You don't smoke."

"I do now!"

• Love 9