Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E18: R.I.P. Dr. Herman

When Carol is selected to present a case to the entire hospital, her boyfriend, Dr. Lewis, asks her to reconsider because it could affect his chance of becoming chief of staff over Dr. Frost. Also, Dr. Frost makes a startling revelation.

Airdate: 03/12/2020

So I guess this means that Kelsey Grammer has joined the show as a regular? I'm not sure I'm going to love Carol bitching about her ex every episode... 

Dennis and his love of drama made me laugh, though. 

• Love 4

I thought this was a brilliant move.  Carol needs an antagonist as now all of the staff love her...  Kelsey will elevate the comedic acting on this show as I think some of the actors are very stilted as they wait for laughs after their lines.  With the addition of Kelsey I am actually looking forward to another season.  I think this will spark a lot of story lines and more interesting interactions.

And, yes, the comments regarding Carol's ex in the pilot made it seem like he was unemployed or in financial hardship.  So, a bit of retconning on the character, but I really feel this type of character was needed on the show.

• Love 4

I'm disappointed they ended Dr. Lewis' character that way. It seems they were setting him up as Dr. Frost's rival, but decided they need a bigger name to save the show (Kelsey) so they sacrificed Dr. Lewis. I'm sure Kelsey and Frost will butt heads over Carol soon. It would have been interesting to have all three on the show.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Dr. Lewis isn't going anywhere, right? That would mean we should be seeing all three of them. Although, three men fighting over Carol seems a bit much. 

I agree with the three men situation being too much.  (Nurse Dennis would love it though!!!)  Carol would have worn Dr. Lewis out after a while anyway.  My money is on Dr. Frost.  He is just whimsical and free spirited enough to tolerate what Dr. Jacobs called Carol's " I need to see the manager energy".  On the other hand he has been shown to be a skilled "old school" (that term makes me cringe) physician who as a contemporary can help guide Carol and be a balancing influence.  Does anyone want to see Carol back with her ex husband?  Does he even want her back?  Is he going to be a big pain in the rear?  So many questions.....

• Love 3

Sleeping on the couch in his sister’s house is a misleading detail, but it could have also meant when he divorced Carol, she ended up in their house, and he hadnt set up in his own place yet so for a time he’s crashing on the his sister’s sofa.

Grammar could be an extended guest star.  He’ll be great for the show, whether he’s a longer term guest star or a regular.

I had to laugh a little about 3 men being too much.  In Japanese romance manga (their word for comics) there is a genre - harem manga.  The harem manga storyline is one guy, many girls interested in him and a reverse harem storyline, one girl, many guys interested in her.  It's fun and romance drama deluxe/maxed.  I enjoy those mangas.  It's messy and silly to choose one guy over another, so I root for them all and wait for the author to decide.  (and boo what the author picks, but I don't really care because it's only a story).  Sometimes, the author doesn't pick at all.  😑 😒

• Love 1

I really dislike Kelsey Grammer, so I'm not happy to see him. I get that he might be good for ratings, but I find him tiresome. I will be shocked if he does anything I haven't seen him do before. I also really liked that the show had a female lead and that her direct supervisor was also a woman. Now they've been pivoting to focus on Big Male Bosses/Love Interests and it's sucking all the air out of the show.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, schnauzergirl said:

Didn't  Patricia Heaton and Kelsey Grammar co-star as TV anchors in a one-season show called -- I think -- Over to You some years ago?  Or am I making that up?

Back to You, yeah. And then Kelsey's daughter also had a recurring role on the Middle more recently.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I am watching this episode since I see that they added Kelsey Grammer.  I like him.  But the character of Carol continues to be awful.  Can they possibly tone her down and improve her a la Leslie Knope after season 1 of Parks and Rec?  I had not watched since episode 1.

Edited by GussieK

I tried this out since all the episodes were available streaming, and I actually assumed it was already cancelled.  I watched the episodes over the last 2-3 weeks, and I find it amusing enough, which is pretty rare for me since I rarely watch sitcoms.  I like the cast, and I don't find Carol annoying.  I tried to watch "Everybody Loves Raymond" but I couldn't get past the first few episodes.

The love triangle stuff wasn't working that well, though.  I like Dr. Frost, which I didn't expect since I wasn't fond of the actor in "Desperate Housewives".  I don't quite feel romantic chemistry with Carol yet, though.

It was a little jarring to see Kelsey Grammer looking that much older.  I hadn't seen him in anything else since "Frasier".  I have mixed feelings about his inclusion in the show, but I hope it's renewed for Season 2.

Show has been canceled. It recently reached a pretty good rhythm with the ensemble of actors.  They even dialed Carol down a bit. I was looking forward to Kelsey's pomposity tormenting everyone (and to them circumventing him). Sorry to see it did not make it.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, MarthaEllisanne said:

Show has been canceled. It recently reached a pretty good rhythm with the ensemble of actors.  They even dialed Carol down a bit. I was looking forward to Kelsey's pomposity tormenting everyone (and to them circumventing him). Sorry to see it did not make it.

Hubby and I felt the same way.  He asked me if another network could pick it up.  I know that things like that have happened in the past.  If the TV Genies are here please make my wish come true!

• Love 1