Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Eight Arms But No Hands

• Start Topic

A search party commences for Matt, who's in hiding with a guilty conscience—and the airlock codes. Iris questions Karen about her rumored affair with Ryan. Rav seeks an apology from Judd for ruining her life. Chaos ensues when a seat on a rescue shuttle suddenly becomes available.

Season finale! Airing Sunday, March 15, 2020

• Love 1

Karen, shut your pie hole, you side-sh!tter.

Did they just go full on improv for these last 2 episodes ?

Don't know about the previous episode but I did notice it in this one. Some actors were much better at doing improv than others, IMO. Hope they don't make a regular thing of it next season.

• Love 1

This show is already highlighting how shitty people can be, and is good at making a bad situation worse, but adding 8 years to their return is way too much of an escalation, imo. 

I'll get over it and still watch though. 🙂 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

So that happened. Since when does anybody make a nine-episode season anyway?

The whole show was a swing and a miss. I see elements here and there that have potential and there were a few chuckles along the way, although far too few. Somehow the whole thing never quite came together though. I wonder if they know that and will try to fix it before they do another season.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Commando Cody said:

They could use the shuttle and bring passengers back one at a time.  They never said how long the trip back and forth was, but it didn't seem like it took much time. 

Or use some bigger shuttles

6 hours ago, opus said:

Or use some bigger shuttles

I didn't want to push it, considering they didn't think about putting people on shuttles or come up with any other way to transfer passengers off of the ship in the first place.  Somehow this company  managed to send a passenger cruise ship into space, but instead of a rescue plan, or life boat shuttles, they are told to jettison 500 people into space. 

Why couldn't it have been freaking Karen on the shuttle? They sent off a character I actually liked. My only hope is, she ends up in the control room when she gets back.  Or the shuttle just has to come back to the ship. 

Edited by Commando Cody
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

Why couldn't it have been freaking Karen on the shuttle? They sent off a character I actually liked. My only hope is, she ends up in the control room when she gets back.  Or the shuttle just has to come back to the ship. 

Yes.  I was sorry to see Iris go. 

The Comedian would have been the perfect choice.  Or let Mia sit on Doug's lap and send them both.

Neither Collin nor that fake Comms Tech deserves to go anywhere near a  shuttle...they belong in the airlock!  As for the Tech, too bad there is nothing for that kerchief around her neck to get caught on as she is being spaced. 

Edited by PentaHookUp

I still like Zach Woods and Hugh Laurie as comedic actors. I am struggling to find a reason to watch Season 2.  I honestly do not care what happens to any of the secondary or tertiary characters. Do they die? Do they get rescued?  Does someone finally take control?  Does Frank find his balls? Does Karen finally get murdered for being a side-shitting ultra a-hole?  

Just so many errors and misses in the continuity of the story.  If Karen had been elevated to the inner circle of decision makers and people with authority, then why the hell didn’t she know about jettisoning the extra weight from the BACK was the ultimate (and only) plan?  Why send only one 2-seat shuttle in a time of major crisis?  Way too many annoyances for me to spend time listing.

On the bright side, maybe the side-shift has helped the ship escape the ring of shit and dead bodies?

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

They could use the shuttle and bring passengers back one at a time.  They never said how long the trip back and forth was, but it didn't seem like it took much time. 

I think because Avenue 5 only would be within earth's orbit for a brief time. 

7 hours ago, PentaHookUp said:

I think because Avenue 5 only would be within earth's orbit for a brief time. 

That's the weird thing -- the Avenue 5 isn't within Earth's orbit now, and it only took the shuttle full o' flavorings 1 or 2 days to get there.

I contacted HBO and told them that if they have any plans of putting out a season 2 of this steaming pile of dung, that I will cancel my subscription with them FOR LIFE!!!!

And Hugh Laurie?!!!! Shit, man! If I'd known things were this bad, I would have floated you a loan! You have way more talent to be involved in this insultingly stupid nonsense. You were in Veep for fuck's sake! 

Horrible, dreadful wretched road kill....brought to you by those purveyors of good taste, HBO. This has got to be the biggest waste of time they've ever had the bad sense to air and they've had some real shit on...anyone remember "Camping" or "SMILF?" Yeah. Didn't think so.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Sam Spayaid said:

I contacted HBO and told them that if they have any plans of putting out a season 2 of this steaming pile of dung, that I will cancel my subscription with them FOR LIFE!!!!

And Hugh Laurie?!!!! Shit, man! If I'd known things were this bad, I would have floated you a loan! You have way more talent to be involved in this insultingly stupid nonsense. You were in Veep for fuck's sake! 

Horrible, dreadful wretched road kill....brought to you by those purveyors of good taste, HBO. This has got to be the biggest waste of time they've ever had the bad sense to air and they've had some real shit on...anyone remember "Camping" or "SMILF?" Yeah. Didn't think so.

And, yet, over the course of the season the rating ticked up from 5.6 to 6.2.

Go figure....

2 hours ago, Sam Spayaid said:

No need to deprive yourself of all the other wonderfulness that is HBO...just don't watch this show.

• Love 2

And Hugh Laurie?!!!! Shit, man! If I'd known things were this bad, I would have floated you a loan! You have way more talent to be involved in this insultingly stupid nonsense. You were in Veep for fuck's sake! 

Well that's the thing. He had a recurring role on Veep which was both a commercial and critical hit show with multiple Emmy wins. If you were offered the lead in a new show by the same guy responsible for Veep wouldn't you jump on it? I sure as hell would. On paper, this must have looked like a sweet deal. 

I'm still baffled why this didn't quite work. All the elements are in place. That great, smart, running dialogue that Ianucci made a hallmark of Veep is there. I just don't think the premise itself worked. The situation didn't really lend itself to the type of humor Ianucci is known for.

I also think Judd was a drag on the show. He seems to be the counterpart for Jonah on Veep, but Jonah was a supporting character whereas Judd is more of a lead. Less of that type of moron is better.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, PentaHookUp said:

No need to deprive yourself of all the other wonderfulness that is HBO...just don't watch this show.

You're right. They do put out some good programs. The Outsider for example. I guess I'm just pissed because with them, the bar is set high and when they make such a huge, glaring mistake like this one, it sticks out like the proverbial sore thumb. 

I've been watching Veep reruns lately and I cannot believe the discrepancies. It really is astonishing. One show, laughing...OUT LOUD!!!....and the other? Scowling over how something THIS bad got on the air in the first place.

4 hours ago, Sam Spayaid said:

SMILF was on Showtime.

Not every show is going to be A Show. I've laughed enough to continue watching. There's a lot of good lines I like. 

Rav slapping Judd was fantastic. 

I think Ryan and Billie are most enjoyable and was disappointed they were separated mostly here. 

I also have a feeling that the shuttle will somehow fuck up and be back on the ship. 

I was cracking up at the actor constantly crying. And Billie rolling her eyes until Ryan figured out he couldn't leave. 

Eight years seems like a long time too but they were wrong before and the solution probably is something stupid. 

• Love 4
On 3/16/2020 at 9:51 PM, BusyOctober said:

If Karen had been elevated to the inner circle of decision makers and people with authority, then why the hell didn’t she know about jettisoning the extra weight from the BACK was the ultimate (and only) plan?  

I think it's because Karen was tasked with collecting the stuff from the passengers and crew…that’s all.

Billie had told Karen earlier (when Karen had hassled her for a contribution to the effort) that, in spite of what she seemed to think, she was not in charge of the operation. 

I think that Karen…just being Karen…was sure she was in charge despite what Billie thought. So she (with that numbskull husband in tow) took it upon herself to jettison the stuff when it reached the required weight.

Edited by PentaHookUp

I really liked this show, and I'm happy it's getting a second season. The sheer absurdity of it all cracks me up.

I am sad Ivey is on the shuttle, but she sure could shake shit up on Earth more than the lady who stayed behind (I don't know her name).

• Love 2

Iris. Rav. 

I also liked the two idiots fighting and the wide deadpan - this isn't as hot as I thought it was going to be. 

I don't see this as a show with a long shelf life because you're going to have to kill everyone on the ship or get them home at some point. 

I suppose they could take an empty cruise ship and get it out there with a real crew and just load everyone on. Or burn the rest of the fuel to the next largest gravity well and slingshot to correct course. It could save some time. 

There's probably still more stuff to shoot out of the airlock too. 

• Love 1
On 3/16/2020 at 9:14 AM, Commando Cody said:

I will just say, nothing happened in this episode.

1. Judd got bitch-slapped. 

2. We lost "in-your-face" Iris from the ship?

3. We gained "revved-up" Rav on the ship.

4.The cruise was unintentionally extended to 8 years. 

5. Karen had to face the fact that she is not the "Ms Perfect" she thought herself to be. 

6. Billie admitted that maybe, possibly, perhaps she might have been feelings just a tiny bit warm-and-fuzzy where the Comedian is concerned.

8. Judd got bitch-slapped.

Edited by PentaHookUp
  • Love 2
On 3/18/2020 at 10:00 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Not every show is going to be A Show. I've laughed enough to continue watching.

Same here.  Iris alone, was worth watching.

On 3/18/2020 at 10:00 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I also have a feeling that the shuttle will somehow fuck up and be back on the ship. 

Iris had better come back.

23 hours ago, Eliza422 said:

I really liked this show, and I'm happy it's getting a second season. The sheer absurdity of it all cracks me up.

You aren't alone.  The highlight for me was watching evolution work when the idiots volunteered to be air-locked.

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

The highlight for me was watching evolution work when the idiots volunteered to be air-locked.

At first I blamed Matt for giving them the code.  He may have given them the means; but, yeah, when it came to actually doing-the-deed, the idiocy of their action was all on them.

• Love 1

This has got to be the biggest waste of time they've ever had the bad sense to air and they've had some real shit on...anyone remember "Camping"

No doubt some shows are green-lit based on their pedigree. Camping had Jennifer Gardner attached and I don't doubt HBO jumped at the chance of having another Ianucci show on the air. It's also quite possible some shows are renewed for the same reason: HBO doesn't want to burn a bridge with Ianucci. This show is currently getting an audience score of 48% on Rotten Tomatoes, for example, and a 67% rating from critics. I don't know what the ratings are like but they can't be that great. So HBO has deeper reasons to give it another season.

• Love 1

HBO doesn't really have to make decisions based strictly on ratings though.

How long was the time on the show from when they bumped off course to now? Because it seems like it's short to me.

I actually like the jarring dark turn they took with everyone going out the airlock. I hope people start dying in weird ways.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Natalie25 said:

I'm liking this show, some good lines. I didn't realize, was this the finale?

Yeah.  When it comes dialogue, some of those lines are real zingers.

As for this being the finale, it does seem rather weird having a 9-episode season.  But, since shows start, stop, split, and have other varying lengths...why not a 9-episode one?  Even so, it still feels strange.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, PentaHookUp said:

As for this being the finale, it does seem rather weird having a 9-episode season.  But, since shows start, stop, split, and have other varying lengths...why not a 9-episode one?  Even so, it still feels strange.

According to IMDB, that was definitely the season finale. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10234362/episodes?year=2020&ref_=tt_eps_yr_2020

Agreed with @PentaHookUp, in addition to being 9 episodes it's such an odd place plot-wise to end the season.

On 3/20/2020 at 4:51 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

HBO doesn't really have to make decisions based strictly on ratings though.

Obviously. And the only reason this thing got renewed is because due to the fact that right now NOTHING NEW is getting made so they are all scrambling to fill voids that normally, new shows would do. 

This thing is too shitty even for fucking cable access!

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Sam Spayaid said:

Obviously. And the only reason this thing got renewed is because due to the fact that right now NOTHING NEW is getting made so they are all scrambling to fill voids that normally, new shows would do. 

This thing is too shitty even for fucking cable access!

It was renewed before it even aired, they probably got a two season minimum deal to get Hugh Laurie to sign on.

• Love 1

That was my understanding. It makes sense how the wrote the end of the season knowing there would be a follow up. 

I like the show. I thought this episode was darkly comedic. I don't necessary think good comedy = always laughs, and I like the premise of being stranded in space with these awful people. 

I think part of the problem is that not every show has to be A Show, and people largely expect that. It's a good show. That's it. I don't see it running more that 3 or 4 seasons because the premise will get stale, but so what? 

• Love 4

I like the show, not surprised it was renewed whenever.  I will tune in next season

If nothing else it is the exact opposite of the sci fi trope of having a problem and every week fixing it in some "scientific" way.  These people try it and everything they do goes wrong and they make things worse, which I find amusing.  The Enterprise crew they are not. 

And yes it is darkly comedic. 

I am still not sure exactly why such a small error originally would cause a several year delay in the flight path, but I don't imagine I will ever get an explanation, just have to accept it. 

Also don't understand how that one little ship could get to them so fast if their ship would take years to get back to earth.   Again though, whatever 

• Love 3