Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E09: If You're Going to Drink, I Can't Stop You

• Start Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, glowbug said:

There are so many place names like that where locals, and in the case of famous places, everyone, pronounces the name differently than it should be in its original language. Case in point Los Angeles. It’s a Spanish name and should be pronounced Lohs Ahn-he-les but almost everyone all over the world calls it Las (like the Las in Las Vegas) An-Gel-es. Most native Spanish speakers from Los Angeles pronounce it “wrong” too. Sometimes I do hear people says “Lohs” but Las is still more common. At first I also snickered about Ver-sales (not Brittany specifically pronouncing it that way but the region) until I remembered the County I was born and raised in does the same thing with a Spanish word. 

That’s kind of where I’m coming from. I’m from California and most place names here aren’t really pronounced correctly. It’s a fine line between wanting to respect a language and culture and being a show off  asshole. Like there’s a difference  between making an effort to pronounce someone’s name the way they do even if you’re not used to it and being that show off who busts out their High School Spanish anytime they order an enchilada plate. If the Vanderpump gang of privileged narcissistic showed up in Kentucky and suddenly felt the great need to respect their French ancestors by busting out a perfect Francophile Norte Damn to show how much more sophisticated they are then the locals...well I’m going to roll my eyes all the way around.    

Edited by FozzyBear
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, FozzyBear said:

I’m from California and most place names here aren’t really pronounced correctly.

There are so many examples of this, and they don't even need to come from other languages.  Here in NC, you can always tell the tourists in Topsail Beach, because they pronounce it the way it looks.  However, it's said "top-sull".  We aren't pronouncing it wrong.  The name of the town is "Top-sull Beach."   Look at NY Houston versus TX Houston.  Pronounced differently, neither is wrong.  So, Ver-sail isn't wrong either.  It's just different.

I'll admit, I get super annoyed at the idea of right and wrong when it comes to this, because my IRL name is Laura.  It's pronounced Lar-ah, not Lore-ah.  I can't tell you how many people have told me I say my name incorrectly.  When I meet people who are Lore-ahs, I make an effort to say their name correctly, and it is correct, because that's their name!  People telling me I pronounce my own damn name wrong make my blood pressure boil.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, lasu said:

I'll admit, I get super annoyed at the idea of right and wrong when it comes to this, because my IRL name is Laura.  It's pronounced Lar-ah, not Lore-ah.  I can't tell you how many people have told me I say my name incorrectly.  When I meet people who are Lore-ahs, I make an effort to say their name correctly, and it is correct, because that's their name!  People telling me I pronounce my own damn name wrong make my blood pressure boil.

I totally get where you're coming from!  My Korean name mispronounced all the time.  All. The. Time!!!  If we met, I would absolutely take the time to listen to your name and pronounce it correctly!!!  It's really important to me.  If people get it wrong the first few times, that's fine, but after awhile, hearing your name constantly mispronounced will piss off your ears!  Or repeatedly saying "Isn't it pronounced like_____? Oh, I thought it was pronounced_______. Are you sure it's pronounced _____?"(🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬!!!!!) I won't even get into people telling you that you're pronouncing your name wrong!!! 

• Love 6
On 3/6/2020 at 4:15 PM, lasu said:

THIS!! I too am a Laura so I feel your pain. What's even worse is I grew up in a small town and due to alphabetical seating(by last names) LORA sat in front of me, but so many people would say both our names the same way, Lore-ah. It drove me banana sandwich. I have a very good friend(30 years+) who to this day cannot say my name correctly.

"Say "R". "R."  "Now say LAUR-ah." "LORE-ah." 🙄

• Love 1

On 3/5/2020 at 9:07 PM, SFoster21 said:

Jax is such a vile POS that the loyalty of his friends makes no sense.  I can only conclude that TomTom has a crush on him.  When will those three tell their bisexual truth?

My conclusion was that they all really really like being on tv 😄 

• LOL 2
14 hours ago, JessicaJones18 said:

I have a very good friend(30 years+) who to this day cannot say my name correctly.

"Say "R". "R."  "Now say LAUR-ah." "LORE-ah." 🙄

It's literally like people can't hear the difference! I gave up years and years ago, and now I tend to notice when people say it correctly, because that's far more unusual.  I rarely bother trying to get people to say it correctly, but when people say I'm pronouncing my own name incorrectly, my blood boils.

Topic?  I'm STILL laughing about that dimwit Charlie getting off that "so go write about it in your diary" burn on Brett.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, lasu said:

It's literally like people can't hear the difference! I gave up years and years ago, and now I tend to notice when people say it correctly, because that's far more unusual.  I rarely bother trying to get people to say it correctly, but when people say I'm pronouncing my own name incorrectly, my blood boils.

I'm from Massachusetts.  In my experience, what we call our Lauras depends on how intense our Boston accents are!  "Law-ra" for the die-hards and "Lore-ah" if your accent's not that strong. Interchangeable, kind of like if you drive a "cah" or a "car."  Tomato, tomah-to.

Interesting that that's not true.  I'll listen to how the next Laura I meet introduces herself!

• Love 1

Could it be the spelling that confuses people? Because au is not pronounced like ar or or.

Just now, politichick said:

Could it be the spelling that confuses people? Because au is not pronounced like ar or or.

Still, once you tell someone how you pronounce your name that should be respected.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, politichick said:

This is the argument people make when they try to tell me I'm mispronouncing my name.  (I know you're not saying that - but people [never someone named Laura, ftr] will insist Laura can only be pronounced Lore-ah).

28 minutes ago, politichick said:

Still, once you tell someone how you pronounce your name that should be respected.

You'd think.  But I promise you, a LOT of people really can't hear the difference.  I can see it in their faces.  I know there are other names, but the only one I can think of at the moment is Leslie.  There are people who are Less-lies and people who are Lez-lies.  

Topic??  WATCH THIS: I'd be willing to bet LaLa is a Lah-ren and not a Lore-en, otherwise her nickname should be LoLo.  Also, I was so bummed when I first discovered LaLa, because my nickname is just "La".  It's where my user name comes from: Laura Suzanne gets you lasu.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, lasu said:

This is the argument people make when they try to tell me I'm mispronouncing my name.  (I know you're not saying that - but people [never someone named Laura, ftr] will insist Laura can only be pronounced Lore-ah).

It may be because I know a few Laras and they all spell it LARA, and Lauras are spelled LAURA.  But it's your name, so you can say it however you like.

With Leslie (s) and Leslie (z), they both spell it the same way.

My position with this is that there are actual rules that dictate how the letters should sound, and without the rules, it would be difficult to understand each other.  Maybe it is because I went to a Catholic school.  They drilled spelling and grammar into our heads.  I guess I take the English language very seriously.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

It may be because I know a few Laras and they all spell it LARA, and Lauras are spelled LAURA.  But it's your name, so you can say it however you like.

FWIW, I've known lots of Laura who say it like I do, including the other poster.  And believe me, I wish it were as easy as saying "pretend my name is spelled lara" to get the correct pronunciation.  And some of the Lauras you know may pronounce it the same way I do and are like me in that they don't bother correcting people over it.  I also don't bother to capitalize my name, which is also "wrong" but I don't care.  My cursive upper case Ls are crap.

Weirdly enough, now I am questioning how to say Lauren Bacall and I don't know how to find video of her saying her own name.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, lasu said:

FWIW, I've known lots of Laura who say it like I do, including the other poster.  And believe me, I wish it were as easy as saying "pretend my name is spelled lara" to get the correct pronunciation.  And some of the Lauras you know may pronounce it the same way I do and are like me in that they don't bother correcting people over it.  I also don't bother to capitalize my name, which is also "wrong" but I don't care.  My cursive upper case Ls are crap.

Weirdly enough, now I am questioning how to say Lauren Bacall and I don't know how to find video of her saying her own name.

Swear to God, this was a plot point on VEEP.

Edited by SFoster21
  • Love 2
On 3/10/2020 at 2:44 PM, lasu said:

FWIW, I've known lots of Laura who say it like I do, including the other poster.  And believe me, I wish it were as easy as saying "pretend my name is spelled lara" to get the correct pronunciation. 

I'll submit Lara Spencer as an example of why that doesn't work- she pronounces it "LAIR-uh." There's another Lara at my fitness studio, same thing.

Topic? James is a disgusting, terrible human being. Racquel may drive me nuts with doe-eyes and her slow...talking...and...all, but she deserves much better than that abusive wanker.

• Love 1