Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Age Ain't Nothing But a Number

• Start Topic

Knew last episode that Zoey was thinking about dropping out. If she only has one more year, I'd just suck it up and finish.

Not sure the request for Doug to wait for six months is realistic. And if she makes it into the Olympics, it's not like she's suddenly going to have more time. Is this the last season of the show?

• Love 1
(edited)

Hear that sound? Its Dre and Bow, all the way over on Black-ish, screaming into the abyss that they now have TWO college drop outs for kids. 

Its just one year Zoe, just suck it up and finish. No way does this end well.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Knew last episode that Zoey was thinking about dropping out. If she only has one more year, I'd just suck it up and finish.

42 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Its just one year Zoe, just suck it up and finish. No way does this end well.

I don't think she took her finals, so she didn't finish junior year either, which is a real waste of tuition.  She should have finished the semester and then taken a leave of absence.

I can't argue that Zoey was getting anything out of college academically, however.

She better have been saving her Joey money, because if she is suddenly between jobs, Dre is not going to be eager to support this "adult".  

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I don't think she took her finals, so she didn't finish junior year either, which is a real waste of tuition. 

My parents would have murdered me.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

My parents would have murdered me.

Mine too. 

Zoey has options besides just dropping out. She can take a semester off. She can go to school part-time. 

But of course, she needs to be dramatic. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, dungeonwriter said:

Mine too. 

Zoey has options besides just dropping out. She can take a semester off. She can go to school part-time. 

But of course, she needs to be dramatic. 

Also a decent dean would have pointed out these options to her.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Also a decent dean would have pointed out these options to her.

An intelligent educator? On a TV series, who "doesn't have all the answers"? Never. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I wasn't surprised she dropped out, but right before finals was stupid and a waste.

And yes, my parents would have hopped in the car and driven the 300 miles to whoop my ass if I did this.

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm sure I'm in the minority, and I'm sure she'll wind up going back, and I'm not saying it's the best decision, but Zoey dropping out doesn't seem like the worst thing in the world. She wants to be a stylist. She's already working as that, for a successful musician. College isn't the only way to be happy or successful.

What I do wonder is: is that house they all share on campus? Will she have to move out? I'm guessing no, to both, but I don't know.

Everyone looked pretty great in their 90s gear. The twins as Janet and Lil Kim, Doug as Tupac (damn), Ana as Selena and Uma, and the rest of the Pulp Fiction crew. Also, somehow Luca and the new girl whose name I can't remember managed to make those denim on denim Justin and Britney atrocities look cool.

And of course Zoey is stunning no matter what she does or wears.

Edited by luna1122
  • Love 2

I agree that Zoey should not ditch that job. You can always go back to college later, but opportunities like she has right now are rare. The school should give her a leave of absence or something like that. It's a bummer that she's apparently ditching mid-finals, but I don't think it's the stupidest thing she's done. Hell, her brother ditched before his first class and their father got him a job working in dad's industry. Zoey actually did more to get her job than that. When/if her parents flip out, she can throw that in their faces. Whether she finds her job actually pays well enough and lasts long enough to carry her, I don't know. But she wasn't being totally flaky to take that chance.

Luca is clearly still hung up on her. And Aaron too. So I guess the triangle continues.

I don't know about Doug waiting. Why is it all or nothing? She can't see him even a little?

Nomi on the phone was sad. They aren't keeping up with each other, and it's how things often go, but I still think it's a gut punch the first time you realize that's what's happening with the people you thought were yours.

Charlie actually being something other than a total buffoon at his job was a relief. I think they take his doof qualities too far most of the time. The sight gag of him on the treadmill was just the right amount of silly in his scene.

This show doesn't seem to be introducing new characters, so I guess they're not planning to continue it once everyone graduates. I guess they could keep showing their's all lives after graduation, but it doesn't look like that's the way they're leaning.

• Love 1

Shout out to everybody's outfits!  They all looked great, thanks to tv magic because no way my college posse would have been able to pull off looks like that in our broke ass college days.

I am loving Skye this season.  They are letting her come out of her shell and she is hella snarky.

I actually think it is a wise decision for Zoe to leave.  She is an indifferent college student at best.  It would be different if she were in a field that requires college credentials to get a job. But she isn't so it isn't as critical. I worked with enough college students to know that when they are there when they don't want to be they self sabotage in so many ways and in the end they either fail out or find ways to get kicked out or the lucky ones convince their parents to let them leave.  College isn't for everyone, not even really smart kids.

• Love 2

Without a doubt, the two absolute best things about this episode were all the 90s outfiits at the party and Charlie trying to give Zoey sincere and genuinely heartfelt advice.

Didn't someone say that finals are coming up? She should at least finish the semester since it's already paid for. If Nomi's water just broke then it should be near the end of the semester.

I laughed when Zoey said she's an adult so she can do whatever she wants and not worry about what her parents think because nothing that has been said or done this season gave me the impression that she was financially independent. I hope Joey is paying enough to cover her rent because if she thought that Dre taking her car away last year was bad, she's going to be in a world of hurt when he won't pay her rent because she dropped out of school.

She doesn't have to drop out either. Colleges have programs so that you can take a planned leave of absence. Some people do it so they can get a semester or two of work experience in their field. Some people do it because they have a major health issue. Some people do it so they can travel or go abroad. She could possibly find a way to get college credit (especially since her college has a fashion department) for what she's doing which would allow her to decrease her course load (which would then give her more time to work on her stylist career and less classes/tests to worry about). She could enroll part time or find some courses that are offered online which would give her more flexibility with her schedule so that she could do things like go to Las Vegas at the last minute. There are SO many options but of course she decides to just drop out immediately.

I had a similar frustration with Jaz. Putting your romantic relationship on hold for six months is not the only option. Like I said last week, a more practical solution would be Jaz learning some time management skills and setting some boundaries on herself (like "have to be in bed by midnight if I have an early morning practice" and other simple things that just require a modicum of discipline and self control). I mean, is she putting her friendship with the girls on hold for six months while she trains? If you have enough self control to eat properly, work out/condition, etc. then you should also be able to set limits on spending time with your boyfriend so that you have enough time and energy to deal with the other aspects of your life - especially if not doing so will jeopardize your athletic scholarship and hence your college education.

It seems silly that both Jaz and Zoey have such tunnel vision that they think this is the ONLY choice available to them.

• Love 10
42 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I laughed when Zoey said she's an adult so she can do whatever she wants and not worry about what her parents think because nothing that has been said or done this season gave me the impression that she was financially independent.

Even when her parents cut her off, they didn't really cut her OFF off - they basically just said she had to earn her own spending money. They were paying for tuition, books and fees, and housing. She even said when she was talking to her friends about why she should drop out that if she stayed, she was just wasting her parents' money. She's not independent at all. She doesn't strike me as someone who saves money (she's probably never had to), so I'm curious to see what will happen if she's fully on her own.

And if a child of mine wastes tens of thousands of my dollars by dropping out, like, a week before the semester I paid for ends, you better believe they're going to hear my mouth about it. Lord. I'm scared just thinking about what my parents' reactions to that would have been, and I'm grown.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

There are SO many options but of course she decides to just drop out immediately.

I agree, but she did go to the Dean to discuss it and he didn't give her any options, as far as I can tell. Sometimes I think that TV writers never went to college either, and don't really know how it works.

• Love 1
On 3/6/2020 at 9:28 AM, luna1122 said:

I'm sure I'm in the minority, and I'm sure she'll wind up going back, and I'm not saying it's the best decision, but Zoey dropping out doesn't seem like the worst thing in the world. She wants to be a stylist. She's already working as that, for a successful musician. College isn't the only way to be happy or successful.

Oh, I agree. College isn't for everyone and you CAN have a successful life without it. HOWEVER... her quitting just before finals, no. You just finish, and then either sign off on not returning or take at least "time off". It's like with Junior over on Black-ish, they want to keep having it where he says: "I don't need college" when it's proven, he clearly does. With Zoey, she is being a stylist, and things change after a couple of years. BUT... as said by others, she is doing it very stupidly and really doesn't take 2 minutes to go: "I better just tell my parents my reasons and plans." instead of just: "Well, I'm doing it with a few weeks left instead of finishing out the semester."

• Love 2

Yeah, so it would be entertaining if this show which is the 2020 version of A Different World went the same way as that show and wrote out the main character.  We can continue with all the other characters and have Zoe gone

• Love 1
On 3/7/2020 at 3:17 PM, possibilities said:

I agree that Zoey should not ditch that job. You can always go back to college later, but opportunities like she has right now are rare.

I predict, as the show usually goes, that Luca will get her job.